Author Topic: Zottman curl...how it's really done.  (Read 3368 times)

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
Zottman curl...how it's really done.
« on: December 15, 2020, 05:41:24 PM »
Note the circular path of the dumbbell.

(Click on the pic for better resolution.)

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
Re: Zottman curl...how it's really done.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 09:28:32 AM »
I wouldn't be training barefoot with adjustable dumbbells.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 08:36:46 AM »
Zottman DB curl, old school and another exercise known by  other names: Zotterman/Zott/Zotter.  I call it Zotterman, which also may be incorrect. . As with any training systems, which can be know by other names.

Found a few golfer and bowlers  like this exercise. Yes, some golfers and bowlers do train with weights, moderate to heavy. Including lower back and ham work. Tiger Woods, Greg Norman, etc. comes to mind. And surprisingly some people with advancing or mild forms of arthritis have benefited, with regards to hand and wrist function. Not a cure for pain of course, but does seem to allow a certain reduction of discomfort.

Zotterman curls can affect the biceps, grip, wrist, forearms and even the elbows in a positive way.  Usually done with a slower cadence and with a light to moderate weight. Usually a rep range  of 8-12. Hard to adapt to his style movement for a lot of guys. But if taking your time to learn it, than its worth your while. The negative part (lowering the DB) will need strict attention when first learning how to do this exercise. The negative phase is important.

Good Luck.

F

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 08:47:16 AM »
The Zottman Curl is named after George Zottman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Zottman

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 04:14:39 PM »
Humble Narcissist mentioned barefoot...which remined me of my own workouts.

I would say the majority of my past and present workouts have been barefoot. A few times in flip flops/sandals. Guess because I have been surfing most of my life, I have  better gripping power, feel and balance when doing leg movements like squats when barefoot.. But also with most every other exercise standing, siting or whatever position. Also played beach volleyball for many years, which can be exceptional for developing foot strength. Nothing close to playing volley ball in deep sand.

Never dropped any weight (plate, DB, etc) on my foot.....yet. Have stubbed my toes a few times before. But those $230+ training shoes, that some buy, will not save a foot if a weight is dropped on it. With all that blood and swelling the shoe is going to have to be cut off anyway. 

(another advantage for working out barefoot is that I can count to 20 easier...just saying) 

Good Luck.

F

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 05:12:20 PM »

I would say the majority of my past and present workouts have been barefoot. A few times in flip flops/sandals. Guess because I have been surfing most of my life, I have  better gripping power, feel and balance when doing leg movements like squats when barefoot.. But also with most every other exercise standing, siting or whatever position. Also played beach volleyball for many years, which can be exceptional for developing foot strength. Nothing close to playing volley ball in deep sand.

Never dropped any weight (plate, DB, etc) on my foot.....yet. Have stubbed my toes a few times before. But those $230+ training shoes, that some buy, will not save a foot if a weight is dropped on it. With all that blood and swelling the shoe is going to have to be cut off anyway. 

(another advantage for working out barefoot is that I can count to 20 easier...just saying) 

Good Luck.

I can attest to dropping a 70 pound DB on my foot while wearing my Adidas lifters. Did not turn out well at all. There is still a black mark on the toe of the show where it landed.

Running barefoot in loose sand is incredibly difficult.

I've never tried to lift while barefoot, seems interesting i guess.

Never tried a Zottman curl either.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2020, 03:21:17 AM »

Good Luck.
Do you use adjustable db's like in the picture?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2020, 08:35:20 AM »
Yes.

Adjustable plate loading DB's.......Have used screw on threaded collars, adjustable set nuts that need a wrench to hold the collars in place, adjustable set nuts that have a hole drilled in the head, with a small rod running through that hole for leverage to finger tighten.

The allen head fine threaded one's, those used in most commercial gyms are the best..... my view only. But have seen them come loose on occasion. Most gym's will take time to check out each set of DB's daily. There are also welded on collars.

As a teenager I started working out in youth centers, home gym's, garage gym set up, with all kinds of odds and ends in DB's and any other type of equipment. Even home made equipment (some very , very good). Improved now, but that stuff made in China and India back in the day was utter crap.

Good Luck.

F