Author Topic: investigating "palumboism"  (Read 218438 times)

Marble

• Getbig IV
investigating "palumboism"
« on: March 21, 2005, 08:44:22 PM »
hello general, i'm a resident jackass from your excellent hardcore section here at getbig.  if it applies to you, you should visit it more often.  there are many smart people eager to help and more insight and research are always valuable. ;D

forum-pimping aside, i need your help.  i want to see if i can come up with an idea of what causes palumboism beyond "massive drug use". :P  to do so, i need to develop an exact symptomology, because i think it's something categorically different from what ronnie, jay, etc. develop.  i have a few hypotheses as to causes, but these are some symptoms i think i see:

a)  lipodystrophy, or abnormal fat distribution.  apparently there's reduced limbic fat but greater trunk and visceral fat.  this means arms and legs would still be very cut but your torso and abdomen in particular would always appear watery and bloated.  is this a good observation?

b)  muscle atrophy and wasting.  is it particular muscle groups that seem to get hit worse?  note that synthol use may mask some of the wasting in muscle groups where it can be used...

c)  bloated head.  this isn't so different from what ronnie et al have and is probably linked just to gh and not anything else.

d)  other symptoms?  anything particularly strange and interesting that all of them have in common?

big help everyone.  thank you.

flexfan

• Getbig IV
  • Venice Versmilitude
Re: investigating "palumboism"
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 09:08:52 PM »
I really wish the original palumbism thread was never deleted in that snafu months ago. What a shame. Whoever authored it should replicate it as closely as possible to the original.
Sultan

GRU

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 06:01:21 PM »
what's a guy gotta do, post some pics or something?  a simple "yuh-huh, i see that too, uh-huh." would suffice. 08

Marble...I think what it comes down to is knowing what you are doing...and also knowing your genetic limit.

Ronnie and Jay use BB as income..it's their bread and butter.  they can't afford to look as bad as palumbo.  Palumbo on the other hand treats himself like a third reich lab jew.

Jay's and Ronnie's "palumboism" is probably just as bad as Dave's, it's just that they are more muscular and have better genetics...so it offsets the bad sides...ie" their shoulders and arms are huge, so their trunk doesn't look as "bloated."

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 06:39:20 PM »
I wrote this on another thread, regarding a fellow who is dangerously reaching into the early stages of Palumboism.

First off, some parts of his back is looking great. Got to give credit for that. The chest looks good to.

But it is part of the problem as well.

I think the problem is that Shahriar Kamali has hurt his symmetry real bad with whatever extreme precontest protocols he uses.

Palumboism in its first stages will in most cases let the chest and back keep on growing, while the arms and the legs halts. The waist will grow, and the gut will protrude.

When was the last time the guy cleaned out? It's just like he's burned out majorly. Check the above pic, see how even though he's striking a pose, he can't hang with either of the offseason fatsos structurally. That's alarming.

Here's a pic of what Shahriar looked like when he was bursting on to the scene. Structurally challenged? Sure, somewhat, but still getting away with it due to great conditioning and great discipline.

He just seemed to be rushing it all too much, IMO.

I hope he can bounce back. He's a never was that hopefully can get his stuff together, by opting for a more moderate off/on policy, getting himself fresh again for battle. Then he can hope for maybe one day place in the money at the Olympia. If he qualifies.

Here's what he looked in the same pose when he made his pro debut:

YIP
Zack

I am just guessing, but I believe that Palumboism in its first stages is about receptors quitting and the receptors that quit firsts are those located out in the limbs, hence the athropy, while the torso keeps on growing.

The growth hormone and insulin may have something to do with this. I don't have a fcuking clue really. What I do believe, is that the year-long cycles of certain pros and certain non-pro's, will result in shut down.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

DEFCON

• Getbig IV
  • LSD, 100 µg, i.m.
As per your request
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 06:40:50 PM »
I really wish the original palumbism thread was never deleted in that snafu months ago. What a shame. Whoever authored it should replicate it as closely as possible to the original.

What is Palumboism or Palumbism ?

Palumboism is a rare, complex disease only seen in the nether ranks of competitive bodybuilders.

The condition is first characterised by the sudden development of an enormous midsection whereby the entire width of the trunk, ribcage and pelvis grows disproportionately whilst the oblique muscles will thicken rapidly and the abdomen will become distended with the patient unable to hold in their stomach.

The condition is further characterised by chronic metamorphasies of the facial and cranial features, culminating in thick folds of dermal tissue round the mouth and thickening of the Levator labii. Mandibular and mental protuberance hypertrophy and overall cranial hyperplasia, accompanied by a dramatic increase in the size of the frontal ridge follows. Premature aging is also common with Palumboism

A particularly spectacular symptom used to confirm diagnosis are disproportionally small limbs on the otherwise gigantic upper body. This is first observed in the upper limbs, where the arms seem to remain in a catabolic shrinking state compared to the torso who's internal structures are growing out of control in all directions. The reasons for this are not yet understood. The quadraceps muscles of the legs also seem to be ever shrinking.

Overall a more neanderthal type structure develops:

In advanced Palumboism the outer dermis takes on a crackly brittle look, almost as if the patient has been glazed or varnished like a ceramic souvenier. The color of the skin will become uneven displaying varying hues and shades from grey to bright orange throughout the entire body, whilst the skin may appear weathered and abnormally aged.

There may also be a high level of vascular distension which never seems to go away in the patient, this will often result in veins having a 'worn out' apperance.

Perhaps the most unusual and distressing issue is that the patient seems totally unaware of what is happening to him.

Post mortem examination of patients sometimes reveals large quantities of a foreign oil-like substance in the biceps and anterior deltoid muscle heads.

What causes Palumboism ?

It is not fully known what causes the disease, although it is speculated that a genetic predisposition combined with an over reliance on high and never ending doses of various anabolic drugs accompanied by a gradual 'shut down' or mutation of the patient's own endiginous endocrine system possibly awakening dormant cro-magnonesque genes are causative factors.

Although Palumboism shares some symptoms with Acromegaly it should not be confused due to the additional conditions described above when making a diagnosis.

Treatments

There is no known cure for Palumboism, as long as the patient remains on his drug regimen there is little comfort and the condition will continue to deteriorate.

Promptly discontinuing drug use may halt further development of the condition although it cannot be fully reversed.

Palumboism in women

Although Palumboism can occur in the female sex it is extremely rare for the condition to reach the advanced stages witnessed in men, therefore accurate and prompt diagnosis becomes more difficult.

Whilst it should be noted that female Palumboism must not be directly confused with the seperate condition of virilization which is more commonly encountered, more cases of female Palumboism are being diagnosed and reported everyday.

The Master

• Getbig V
Re: As per your request
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 06:43:47 PM »

This is the best post I've read here for quite some time! Simply brilliant!! ;D ;D ;D

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 09:53:16 PM »
DEFCON that was an amazing post.

GRU

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 09:55:08 PM »
Sticky time...It's time for a re-study on this....

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2005, 11:26:08 PM »

The condition is further characterised by chronic metamorphasies of the facial and cranial features, culminating in thick folds of dermal tissue round the mouth and thickening of the Levator labii. Mandibular and mental protuberance hypertrophy and overall cranial hyperplasia, accompanied by a dramatic increase in the size of the frontal ridge follows. Premature aging is also common with Palumboism

HOLY SHIT! ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you save this? It sounds awfully familiar to the original diagnosis a few months back. In any case, thank you for that good laugh.
HAHA, RON.....

flexfan

• Getbig IV
  • Venice Versmilitude
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2005, 11:33:39 PM »
The original was authored by a guest named "Lancet". I think that must have been Defcon under a pen-name because this post seems identical.
Sultan

Marble

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2005, 12:24:34 AM »
i'm not convinced there's that much materially different in the compounds available to or used by kovacs, palumbo & crew vs. jay & ronnie.  palumbo in particular prided himself on being pharmacologically astute, and look what happened to the guy. :'(

"receptors quitting" isn't a very good explanation, because receptors just don't really do that in most models.   rats are bioengineered with some very severe gh- and igf-related genetic disruptions that are worse than anything these guys could live through.

there's something in medicine that reeks of palumboism.  this isn't to suggest that this is what's happening to them.  but its causes have been heavily analyzed, and the effects of whatever they've used might be intersect at some point with what these drugs do.  the etiology of lipodystrophy in AIDS is unknown, but look at the lipodystrophy associated with HAART anti-retroviral therapy:

http://www.aegis.com/factshts/network/simple/lipodys.html

"The signs of lipodystrophy are a swollen belly along with loss of tissue from the face, arms and legs. The loss of fat from the face can give an appearance of sunken eyes and sticking-out cheekbones. The combination of extra fat around the belly and loss of tissue from the arms and legs can look similar to the effects of very poor nutrition. Lipodystrophy also looks a bit like wasting, which used to be a common problem in people with AIDS."

insulin resistance and hyperlipidemia are both heavily associated with lipodystrophy, the first of which can be a side of GH abuse.  one possible explanation may simply be they've used far too much GH, but i don't buy it -- acromegaly, even untreated, certainly doesn't lead to a phenotype anything like... that. :-X

Mobil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2005, 01:01:26 AM »
ive noticed with pros suffering from palumboism start to use synthol too.
real men= no rubbers

GRU

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2005, 01:27:43 AM »
i'm not convinced there's that much materially different in the compounds available to or used by kovacs, palumbo & crew vs. jay & ronnie.  palumbo in particular prided himself on being pharmacologically astute, and look what happened to the guy. :'(

"receptors quitting" isn't a very good explanation, because receptors just don't really do that in most models.   rats are bioengineered with some very severe gh- and igf-related genetic disruptions that are worse than anything these guys could live through.

there's something in medicine that reeks of palumboism.  this isn't to suggest that this is what's happening to them.  but its causes have been heavily analyzed, and the effects of whatever they've used might be intersect at some point with what these drugs do.  the etiology of lipodystrophy in AIDS is unknown, but look at the lipodystrophy associated with HAART anti-retroviral therapy:

http://www.aegis.com/factshts/network/simple/lipodys.html

"The signs of lipodystrophy are a swollen belly along with loss of tissue from the face, arms and legs. The loss of fat from the face can give an appearance of sunken eyes and sticking-out cheekbones. The combination of extra fat around the belly and loss of tissue from the arms and legs can look similar to the effects of very poor nutrition. Lipodystrophy also looks a bit like wasting, which used to be a common problem in people with AIDS."

insulin resistance and hyperlipidemia are both heavily associated with lipodystrophy, the first of which can be a side of GH abuse.  one possible explanation may simply be they've used far too much GH, but i don't buy it -- acromegaly, even untreated, certainly doesn't lead to a phenotype anything like... that. :-X

There goes Marbles on one of his rages again...Did anyone else get lost on that??

Goddamn Bio-chemists... >:(

:P

Bix

• Getbig IV
  • The Instigator
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2005, 02:16:24 AM »

There may also be a high level of vascular distension which never seems to go away in the patient, this will often result in veins having a 'worn out' apperance.

Perhaps the most unusual and distressing issue is that the patient seems totally unaware of what is happening to him.

Post mortem examination of patients sometimes reveals large quantities of a foreign oil-like substance in the biceps and anterior deltoid muscle heads.

I like how you refer to these people as  patients  LOL.

DEFCON

• Getbig IV
  • LSD, 100 µg, i.m.
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2005, 04:21:30 AM »
As much as I'd like to take credit for the "Diagnosing Paluboism" post, I can't. Back when it was originally posted I loved it so much I uploaded the pics to my own server and posted it on my website. It's  a club music related site with a message board. There's also a small section devoted to fitness and stuff. Everyone over there loved it too. I'm glad I saved it because I didn't realize it was deleted over here.

Bear

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2005, 07:00:50 AM »
F*ckin A, it's annoying and gay.

Soldier of Iron

• Getbig IV
  • Back Once Again
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2005, 07:16:27 AM »
That was the exact post I remember from last year. We will have to bump this up every now and then to keep this thread on the main page.

DEFCON

• Getbig IV
  • LSD, 100 µg, i.m.
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2005, 07:24:48 AM »
That was the exact post I remember from last year. We will have to bump this up every now and then to keep this thread on the main page.
yes, it's the exact post. I took great care in preserving it. Even down to the the bold lettering.  ;D

flexfan

• Getbig IV
  • Venice Versmilitude
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2005, 07:36:31 AM »
yes, it's the exact post. I took great care in preserving it. Even down to the the bold lettering.  ;D

Kudos for doing that. We all missed this post greatly.
Sultan

Soldier of Iron

• Getbig IV
  • Back Once Again
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2005, 08:01:41 AM »
This is a classic post.  A lot of pros are starting to look like palumbo these days.

SilentMethod

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2005, 10:48:50 AM »
Palumboism = God dealt you a crappy hand at genetics, and you should have stuck to flipping burgers. Look at there early pics, it was all there from the beginning.
U dont work, U dont eat
U dont grind, U dont Shine

Shawn Ray

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • Digital Muscle Media
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2005, 02:07:28 PM »
This is a trip.................... .. ???

[attachment deleted by admin]

Shawn Ray

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • Digital Muscle Media
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2005, 02:08:42 PM »
Booooooooom Babyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :o

[attachment deleted by admin]

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2005, 06:05:03 PM »
Shawn, starting another feud I see.......

BTW, those are funny.
HAHA, RON.....

mdhulk

• Getbig II
  • Arnold is my hero.
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2005, 09:54:44 PM »
THIS IS THE FUNNIEST SHIT I'VE READ ALL YEAR.

NICE ALIEN-PALUMBO PIC SHAWN!!!!

-md-
-you not like me-