Author Topic: Dumb Starbucks  (Read 6173 times)

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Re: Dumb Starbucks
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2014, 06:03:52 PM »
Yeah, great for you maybe
lol
try workin there, let us know
how fun it was
No one has to work there.

Sorry, handing out coffee is not worth 15 an hour.

Icelord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2014, 06:04:37 PM »
No one has to work there.

Sorry, handing out coffee is not worth 15 an hour.
why not?

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2014, 06:06:04 PM »
why not?
Because any idiot can do it. They're not worth the same money as someone with REAL skills.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2014, 06:06:34 PM »
Thats a decent wage for entry-level part time work, relative to many other options.  Plus, workers there get the health insurance starting at 20 hours.

Not that i don't think the minimum wage should be increased, but starbucks isn't the worst offender

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2014, 06:07:26 PM »
Because any idiot can do it. They're not worth the same money as someone with REAL skills.

What do you consider to be "real skills" worthy of a lofty $30, 000 salary?

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2014, 06:08:25 PM »
What do you consider to be "real skills" worthy of a lofty $30, 000 salary?
Anything that actually takes a degree of talent or a trade. I put serving coffee at the bottom rung, along with punching buttons on a McDonalds register.

Icelord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2014, 06:08:46 PM »
$15 isn't something you pay a skilled worker
that's more to the order of $25-$40, in the trades
and $50-$200+ for IT-related abilities
3-4 extra bucks would go a long way with a lot of people who've put in years with the company and paid their dues
but they're no sliding scale, it takes a promotion, basically, and there's only so many of those available
fuck Starbucks
ps. it's a lot more than "serving coffee", that's just one of many things they have to do
besides janitorial work, balancing the cash register, inventory, and other things

Icelord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2014, 06:09:20 PM »
Anything that actually takes a degree of talent or a trade. I put serving coffee at the bottom rung, along with punching buttons on a McDonalds register.
lol
no one with a degree would work for 15 bucks in 2014
r u nuts
that's a forklift driver income

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2014, 06:09:49 PM »
We don't disagree really. You just don't see any reason the average man should make anything more than what the top bosses decide. I do see one. But overall, I wouldn't run the company differently if I was the owner
because I'm human and a greedy fuck too
but since I'm not the owner, and my friends work there
and I also worked in unionized companies that pay very good wages
I'm going to decide to say fuck Starbucks anyway

btw WAL MART is the worst in this regard, $8.30/hr to work the cash registers or greet people
you could make the case they keep costs low in this way, until you realize they could still keep costs low and pay their execs a few million less to pay their millions of workers a bit more
if it's so fine and dandy, why do they keep seeing these wildcat strikes every other month
all is not well in Walmartland

We're not so dissimilar then. I find it difficult to shelve my political and humane views on society in the wake of stark economic theory and capitalism.

I suppose what makes men great is when they can try to reconcile all viewpoints on a situation.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2014, 06:10:12 PM »

But those people make more than $30, 000.  Who do you think is worth $15/hour? Baristas with a college degree?

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2014, 06:12:29 PM »
lol
no one with a degree would work for 15 bucks in 2014
r u nuts
that's a forklift driver income
Exactly. Which takes more skills than handing someone coffee. I didn't mean just degrees or schooling, I meant actual skills.

Handing coffee and punching register buttons is the absolute lowest of the low and deserves minimum wage.

Icelord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2014, 06:13:31 PM »
But those people make more than $30, 000.  Who do you think is worth $15/hour? Baristas with a college degree?
on the real, it's the assistant managers who make that
which is far too low consider they have to plan, execute, and reach sales quotas to beat the previous YTD numbers
handle a budget
promote specialty items
and replace the manager whenever he/she is out
that's a job that deserves at least 18
which is what I suggested in my first post
we're not throwing around big numbers here, I'm merely saying the starting wage is too low for what THIS company expects from its "partners" in stores

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2014, 06:15:44 PM »
I put those people like entry level machinists, entry level mechanics, entry level equipment operators... etc.

Icelord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2014, 06:16:39 PM »
I put those people like entry level machinists, entry level mechanics, entry level equipment operators... etc.
Not sure where you live, man. A CNC machinist here starts at $25 and goes up to 30-32.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2014, 06:17:58 PM »
Exactly. Which takes more skills than handing someone coffee. I didn't mean just degrees or schooling, I meant actual skills.

Handing coffee and punching register buttons is the absolute lowest of the low and deserves minimum wage.

Haha I'm forklift certified and I've worked a shitton of retail..... very little "skill" required for either, so I don't think it's accurate to differentiate between the two like that.

And these guys start at $40k or so with waaay more room for advancement

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2014, 06:18:30 PM »
Not sure where you live, man. A CNC machinist here starts at $25 and goes up to 30-32.
Entry level CNC Machinists everywhere here start at 18. Only companies that start at 25 are Boeing. I should know, thats what I went to school for.

I was implying regular old manual Machinists.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2014, 06:20:04 PM »
Haha I'm forklift certified and I've worked a shitton of retail..... very little "skill" required for either, so I don't know why you differentiate between the two like that.

Still takes more brains than handing a dude his mocha chai latter or big mac. You actually have real responsibilities.

The biggest problem I see is that every moron thinks he's worth 40k+ just for being alive. Someone has to be at the bottom. Those people usually aren't worth 13-15 an hour. Half the people I worked with when I was 16 in food service didn't even rate minimum wage, they coulnd't even count or figure out how to push a button.

Icelord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2014, 06:20:52 PM »
Haha I'm forklift certified and I've worked a shitton of retail..... very little "skill" required for either, so I don't think it's accurate to differentiate between the two like that.

Same here. I have a forklift license and my average income when I worked as an operator was $14-$16. Granted, at Coca-Cola they paid up to $28 but that took becoming permanent hire, which takes years. A few other multinationals pay around the same for similar output. Either way, easy job. Easier than Starbucks in terms of stress, for sure.

Mobil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2014, 06:22:20 PM »
You get what you put in. If a company wants 5 star workers, it should pay them for it.

I would suggest $13 for entry level positions.
$16 for shift supervisors.
$20 for assistant managers.
and a salary of 42-50k for managers based on experience.

It's not much to ask given the amount of profits they make.

with those wages they wont make their labor profits... either increase their price of the coffee more to pay those wages or go broke... people really overestimate the profit these fastfood/coffee places make... they pinch every penny and make profit on low labor and high traffic
real men= no rubbers

Icelord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2014, 06:24:14 PM »
with those wages they wont make their labor profits... either increase the price of the coffee more to pay those wages or go broke
lol, nah
that's what every CEO says
truth is, they (the top executives) want to rake in millions in bonuses and solid salaries in the low millions
you have no idea how much waste goes into HR people that sit on their asses all day and make 60-80k at the head offices
it's a scam, dude. Top shelf gets a lot, middle gets a decent amount
and the the lowest rung get the least because, hey
it's cheap to replace them.

Their profit margins are so high they can pay all their workers $3 more and still make a very clean profit, and not lose any of their own salaries. They just don't want to. Because that's capitalism.

Icelord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2014, 06:25:19 PM »
they don't even hire a third party to clean their stores, they just hand a bucket and a mop to their underpaid hourly associates
that has nothing to do with anything but squeezing the lowest man for all he's worth
I get it, not everyone is a boss or a genius, or a manager
but christ, $10 is fucking chump change in 2014

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2014, 06:26:06 PM »
lol, nah
that's what every CEO says
truth is, they (the top executives) want to rake in millions in bonuses and solid salaries in the low millions
you have no idea how much waste goes into HR people that sit on their asses all day and make 60-80k at the head offices
it's a scam, dude. Top shelf gets a lot, middle gets a decent amount
and the the lowest rung get the least because, hey
it's cheap to replace them.

Their profit margins are so high they can pay all their workers $3 more and still make a very clean profit, and not lose any of their own salaries. They just don't want to. Because that's capitalism.
Exactly.

Thats capitalism, they don't owe their employees 3 dollars more. If the employees don't like it they're free to leave.

Im not dumb enough to think that its a fair system because it's not, but the fact is that the employees are free to move to a better company any time they want. Employers don't OWE anyone shit.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2014, 06:28:16 PM »
Still takes more brains than handing a dude his mocha chai latter or big mac. You actually have real responsibilities.

The biggest problem I see is that every moron thinks he's worth 40k+ just for being alive. Someone has to be at the bottom. Those people usually aren't worth 13-15 an hour. Half the people I worked with when I was 16 in food service didn't even rate minimum wage, they coulnd't even count or figure out how to push a button.

Exactly

Absolutely anyone including young people can pour drinks.

The responsibility involved is another big factor, and the certification adds value.

Icelord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2014, 06:28:32 PM »
Exactly.

Thats capitalism, they don't owe their employees 3 dollars more. If the employees don't like it they're free to leave.

Im not dumb enough to think that its a fair system because it's not, but the fact is that the employees are free to move to a better company any time they want. Employers don't OWE anyone shit.
Except not all companies get away with that kind of greed because of
a) unions
b) strikes, see: Walmart

38-26-40

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2014, 06:29:38 PM »
???

Lol where were you when I made this thread 2 weeks ago?