Author Topic: Young girls and makeup  (Read 7466 times)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Young girls and makeup
« on: February 25, 2011, 11:02:34 AM »
http://www.utne.com/Environment/Not-So-Pretty-in-Pink-Marketing-Toxic-Makeup-to-Young-Girls.aspx

Lipstick, eyeliner, mascara, perfume: Jessica Assaf applied them all, and more, before she hit 12. By her midteens, she estimates, she was using 15 to 20 beauty products a day. Like many girls, Assaf was indoctrinated into beauty culture at a young age, with makeover-themed birthday parties as early as kindergarten and trips to the nail salon starting in grade school.

“The coolest thing was Hard Candy nail polish with the ring on the bottle. I really wanted that ring,” says Assaf, now 18. “Companies do a really good job of trying to attract younger girls.”

Indeed. Consider the Hannah Montana Backstage Makeover Set for children 5 to 7 years, Barbie Makeup games, and spa services with names like “Twinkle Toes and Fancy Fingers” that offer manicures and facials to kids age 6 and up. Popular hair-straightening products called “Just For Me!” feature 7-year-old girls on the box. Getting your hair colored is now practically a rite of passage in middle school.

“Five years ago, the rule of thumb was 15- to 16-year-olds would come in for their first color. Now, that girl is 10,” Mark Goodman, a board member of the National Cosmetology Association (NCA), recently told the New York Times. The trend, according to NCA spokesman Gordon Miller, represents a “lucrative niche market” for the beauty industry.

This rush to cosmetic beauty also represents increased exposure to toxic chemicals. Scientists now suspect that chemicals found in many of the cosmetics for which young girls clamor contribute to a disturbing trend. Girls in the United States, especially African American girls, are entering puberty earlier than their grandmothers did. Half of all American girls now show signs of breast development by age 10—one to two years earlier than 40 years ago—and a significant number show signs as early as 8 or 9.

more...http://www.utne.com/Environment/Not-So-Pretty-in-Pink-Marketing-Toxic-Makeup-to-Young-Girls.aspx?page=2

I've noticed that men/fathers seem to be more strict on the issue than women.  Just a personal observation.

I know a woman at the gym who takes her 5th grader for manis, pedis, highlights and brow waxing  ::)

I don't think I started wearing makeup til the 8th grade and had to be very careful around my dad.  He hated it.
:

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
Re: Young girls and makeup
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 12:07:58 PM »
I wasn't taken to buy a bra till I was 14 and then I begged for high heels and mascara till I was 16.  

Where's that pic of the 5 year old beauty queen child star in America?  Total exploitation and abuse of children.  Send them out to play.  

I'm thankfully allergic to mascara.
And I still don't wear mascara unless it's NY.  My eyelashes get in the way, they're big enough without black crap on them.

I don't want to go into the chemicals and toxins in hair colour and skin products...

They've got a reality TV Show here (do you have this?), it's called "Hotter Than My Daughter" and it's old hags with dyed blonde hair and good legs in leopard print something or other trying to teach their offspring how to dress to pull.

I abhor the sexualisation of children.  In my top 5 of important issues, this is one of them.  Allow children to be children.  The world has gone mad.

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 01:09:04 PM »
No wonder the womenfolk in black burkas want to bomb us.  The Western world is sexmad and now they're selling children as young as 5 or 10 on TV?  No wonder we're thought of as infidels and wastrels.

x

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 03:48:05 PM »
whats funny is and Im going out on a limb here, I think most guys prefer women who wear less make up...

I certainly do

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 09:18:16 AM »
All those make up products are designed to prey upon female insecurities in order to sell products (much like BB protein supplements).  From earlier and earlier ages women are told that X is wrong with you and Y product will make it better.  Here is a newsflash: there is nothing wrong with you.  Stop wasting your money.  And stop training your daughters to waste their money.  Men do not like women dipped in make up.  Less is more.

The only excuse for getting serious with make up is a very special occasion: wedding, photo shoots, appearing on film, winning an oscar, etc.  :)

For the last 20 years cosmetic companies having been trying to peddle make up products for men.  Sorry, it's not happening.  ::)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 07:12:45 AM »
Not sure when I was allowed to wear make up but how old were you when you were allowed to shave your legs?

Migs?  :)
R

abijahmaniaco

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 11:55:06 PM »
natalie portman is so beautiful there

fire2b12

• Getbig II
  • GO BIG OR GO HOME
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 03:08:55 AM »
have you guys seen that show toddlers in tiares??? now that show exposes crazy young girls to makeup, thongs, high heels, it is sick.....

w8m8

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 06:25:42 AM »
have you guys seen that show toddlers in tiares??? now that show exposes crazy young girls to makeup, thongs, high heels, it is sick.....

I haven't taken time to watch a show .. but have seen a lot said about it .. after the Jon Benet Ramsay thing I was hoping all that would stop .. or at least be less outrageous and just let the children be children

BTW .. Welcome to the Girl's board Jaime  :)

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 09:07:36 AM »
My daughter is 14 and she goes with her mom once a month for leg waxing together
Sorta like a mother/daughter bonding thing

My daughter uses a touch of lip stick from the age of 12 already
I have no problem.

As far a bra goes when she started developing we bought her a bra......... no big deal

w8m8

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 10:25:47 AM »
My daughter is 14 and she goes with her mom once a month for leg waxing together

I have no problem.

As far a bra goes when she started developing we bought her a bra......... no big deal

I don't see anything wrong with that either PP ... O only have issue with the little ones .. it would be nicer if it seemed more like a dress up game .. but this stuff is too fierce for a child to comprehend and seems like it's moreso the parents who want it than the child  :-\

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 11:15:05 AM »

Hi Jaime! :)
R

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 11:17:11 AM »

w8m8

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 11:19:45 AM »

Who's Jaime ???

one of Keith's beautiful daughters

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 11:21:53 AM »
R

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 11:22:51 AM »
one of Keith's beautiful daughters

Oh,kewl :)

fire2b12

• Getbig II
  • GO BIG OR GO HOME
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 01:20:13 PM »
hello everyone :) i hope that i can join in on some talks :)

w8m8

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 02:32:07 PM »
hello everyone :) i hope that i can join in on some talks :)

Yes please do ... you can also feel free to go through the threads and bump anything you want or make a new one anytime  :D

It's nice to see you here  :)

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2011, 06:54:13 PM »
Not sure when I was allowed to wear make up but how old were you when you were allowed to shave your legs?

>:(

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 11:34:01 AM »

I have no problem.

:(

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2011, 11:43:03 AM »

I shaved chest/legs when I was 15.  I was on the swim team for a year until I decided I did not like swimming for hours every morning.  Seriously kids have some fucked up lives. 

w8m8

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2011, 05:47:06 AM »

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
  • I'm dating and love Uncle Junior! Xoxoxo
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 05:51:58 AM »
I love Toddlers and Tiaras. And although some of the moms are sort of psycho....in general I find nothing wrong with the pageants!

Makeup on a young girl....that's the parents responsibility although with all the airbrushing/touch ups nowadays....I can see why females are so insecure. I know I am.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2011, 06:09:35 AM »
I love Toddlers and Tiaras. And although some of the moms are sort of psycho....in general I find nothing wrong with the pageants!

Makeup on a young girl....that's the parents responsibility although with all the airbrushing/touch ups nowadays....I can see why females are so insecure.  I know I am.

Oh!  The humanity! :'(

w8m8

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2011, 06:40:04 AM »
I can see why females are so insecure. I know I am.

o'Rly ?

I'm in my 30's and I'm a bitch in heat. Wanna hook up stud?