Author Topic: Anyone successfully quit dipping?  (Read 2639 times)

kh300

• Getbig V
Anyone successfully quit dipping?
« on: January 27, 2011, 06:22:40 PM »
Can a day for the last 15+ years. I need to quit not just to keep my handsome face, but this shits over 7$ a can in NY.

That's 200 bucks a month to spit in a coffee cup.  Anyone have any tricks, cuz not doing it makes me depressed  >:(

Lundgren

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Banned
Re: Anyone successfully quit dipping?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 06:25:18 PM »
Lol who the fuck does that, christ dude that shit is nasty of the nasty.

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 06:30:42 PM »

I know, thats the trouble. I hide it from everyone. It just followed me right off the baseball field.

JimmyJam1974

• Getbig V
  • "No sir, the ball ain't heavy." - Herschel Walker
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 06:34:52 PM »
Your mom quit dipping
U

leadhead

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 06:39:11 PM »
Try gum or dipping coffee grains (kind of nasty but recommended by my dentist). I've dipped nearly half a can per day for 12 years now and have quit several times and keep returning to it. I picked it up too off the baseball field. My problem is nearly everyone of my friends dip also so it's hard to get away from it when I quit.

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 06:41:51 PM »
slowly work down to half a can a day then less and less until you quit.

takes a while but works. also buy really shitty snuff so you won't look forward to it as much.

I don't know if they have it in new york but loose leaf chewing tobacco has much less nicotine (and tastes better too) it might help you. it also might be cheaper.

TacoBell

• Getbig V
  • Team FTN
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 06:42:07 PM »
I quit dipping in your mom

makaveli25

• Getbig V
  • RTR
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 06:42:50 PM »
I have been dipping  since college football. Went to school in the midwest picked it up from the rednecks. I don't go through a full can though. I limit it to after work and before bed. Ween yourself down then switch to swedish snuss its a lot better for you.

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 06:47:56 PM »
better than that thing you dipped in your mouth  :-X

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 07:24:07 PM »
Quit Cold Turkey.

And when u want to take another dip just think about mouth cancer and that should change ur mind.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 07:28:15 PM »
Can a day for the last 15+ years. I need to quit not just to keep my handsome face, but this shits over 7$ a can in NY.

That's 200 bucks a month to spit in a coffee cup.  Anyone have any tricks, cuz not doing it makes me depressed  >:(

i think my approach was the best i could have done

steps

1) dont start dipping
2) continue to not dip
3) see step 2

bench

dogbowl

• Getbig IV
  • Team anyone except heath
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 07:38:35 PM »
I quit dips when i switched back to flat and incline bench press.

(I've never heard of this other type of dipping until i looked it up a few seconds ago.)

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 07:55:43 PM »
I dipped for years and all of a sudden started having dreams of my teeth falling out and would wake up and my teeth would be killing me. So, I just started smoking and quit dipping, problem solved!!!!

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 07:59:47 PM »
jerky chew will help.  I quit for a year then my nephew had a can and I started again.  That was the longest I had ever quit.  I need to again real soon.

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 10:16:21 PM »
I go back and forth with it. I am never a regular user but every 5-6 months I'll do a few cans and then just get over it. Stress causes me to go back I think. Oh BTW to save cash buy Grizzly the green can, shit is just as strong as the more expensive stuff and is only 3.59 here in california. DO NOT get Grizzly mint, it sucks (that would be the blue one). Green is the shit.

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 10:37:04 PM »
i don't know why you people have a hard time quitting shit.

after college i quit pot cold turkey after smoking almost daily.  i had one joint with my wife to be 4 years later, and none since.

i stopped drinking from getting drunk almost nightly to maybe one beer every 4 months, and that's only if my wife makes me go to dinner somewhere.

i quit smoking after 12 years of almost a pack and a half a day the day my kid was born.  it's been 13 months without a cigarette.

just fucking stop.  as nasser15 would say, " you need to have a constitution of a horse".  just fucking stop.  are you really gonna let some fuck profit off you killing yourself?

edit:  i used to do skoal mint, but only in the winter time when it was too cold to go outside to smoke.
Deep Tissue Massage

basil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 12:05:33 AM »
OMG.  can a day for 15yrs.  jeebus christ.  you should be thankful as fuck you still have a lower jaw, pray that you still have one in 10yrs, and never touch a pinch again.   :(

myt1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 04:55:45 AM »

I was right there with you a little over a year ago.  I think I was 16 when I started.  Within months I was 1.5 -2 cans per day.  Later on when I got into smoking weed and was outta h.s. I would sometimes go thru 3 cans a day.  My mouth would get dry from smoking so I'd switch a fresh one.  I quit around Christmas time of 2009 so I'm right at about 13 months now.  I'd say my daily average over that whole time was pretty much right at 1.5 cans a day.  I learned years ago to get away from Skoal, and chewed Tiimberwolf at about 1/3 - 1/2 of the cost so it was an expensive habit by the end at 3+ bucks a can, but not as bad as it could have been.

My sister became a hygienist and was on my ass to quit so that helped to get me started when she looked in my mouth and said "oh my god"  Although she was actually shocked at how "kind of decent" my gums were knowing that I had done that for 20 years so heavily and was a heavy drinker too.  Anyway, I finally just had enough of the shit and didn't want to lose my face.  I had a pic of a guy who lost half his face and his entire jaw that my sister got me........i could only keep it on my fridge a couple of days it was so disgusting, but I started having dreams that that was me so I didn't need to see that shit everyday.  

Anyway, first thing you need to do is look up the benefits of nicotine leaving your body.  There are timeframes that certain things happen in, and you will notice them like clockwork.  I kept that on my fridge up until last month when I hit the year mark, cuz that was all the higher it went up to.  

Secondly, and this was most important to me personally, is that you must realize especially at a can or more per day that nicotine is a total mindfuck game.  After 72 hours it is cleared from your system.  Drink at least a gallon and a half of water a day, and workout out like a man possessed for the first week to help cleanse your body.....and to relieve stress.  After those first three days your cravings/needs for a dip are all psychological.  Keep telling yourself this over and over, and know that you are strong enough mentally to win.

Third, if you are like me you have "triggers" for when you crave a dip the most.  For me....waking up (I literally would grab the can off the nightstand, put a dip in and hit snooze to start every day), driving, after a meal, and right after a workout were absolute musts for me.  You have to consciously remember that you will crave it most at these times and find a way to distract yourself from it.  

Finally, the oral fixation part of it is also huge.  (no homo) :P  Seriously though, you get used to that texture between your cheek and your gums and teeth.  People say to chew gum, and put it over there like a chew but that annoyed me cuz the texture was not the same.  It was squeeky like having a cheese curd in your mouth.  I tried that fake chew stuff, and it was ok, but it was fine cut and an absolute challenge to get in your mouth, and made a mess that was a bitch to try and brush out from between your teeth.  I found that shredded beef jerkey stuff in the chew can to be the closest thing texture wise and I used that regularly for about the first 3 months, and then sporadically for about 4 more after that.  I don't use anything anymore at all.  Also, my teeth got really fucking sore while I was initially quitting for the first month or so.  If you do go through that too, I will mention that is where gum actually came in handy for me when I was around others, but in private I would grab a straw and just chew the fuck outta that thing until the pain in my teeth would start to go away.  I'm talking about a straw like they give you at BK for your pop not those puny little mixing straws btw.  By the time I'd get done that thing would be a 2 inch wadded up mangled mess of plastic.  It was gross, but it worked.

Oh yeah............if they know you by face at the store you go to and have it on the counter by the time you get through the door like the place I went to, then start getting your gas and other things you need from a different convenient store.  They are like paid enablers if you don't go somewhere else.  If you go to any store and you see the chew section and start to crave, put your shit down and just walk out.

These are the things that helped me.  Sorry so long winded, but hey that's me.  lol  I hope this helps you to get this shit out of your life.  It is a horrible addiction, and a disgusting habit.  Nothing has ever been as hard for me to quit as tobacco was........but I did it 8)  Hope you can too!  Good Luck!

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2011, 05:23:35 AM »

Start smoking stogies.

hrspwr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2011, 06:32:19 AM »
Its a nicotine addiction, people quit nicotine everyday - its slightly uncomfortable for about 10 days.
Don`t be a pussy. Smoked for 23 years, quit cold turkey 4 years ago.
time under tension

Leatherneck

• Getbig IV
  • Still as lean, just as mean, former US Marine
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2011, 06:49:17 AM »
I dipped for 5 years and after about 15 legit try's I was able to quit in August 2009. The biggest thing is that you have to believe that you're really done. If not you may last a day or a week, hell I even made it 5 months once, but you won't BE DONE. Future cancer and wasted cash were factors and motivation for me.

Good luck.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2011, 09:59:27 AM »
Years ago almost all my friends rubbed and I finally after a while ending up trying it. This was about 20 years ago. I rubbed off and on for bout year and a half. One day I just quit. Didn't bother me one bit. I even t ried to start up again once and for some reason couldn't get into it. Skoal wintergreen fine cut and I for some reason was never addicted.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2011, 10:00:28 AM »
Quit Cold Turkey.

And when u want to take another dip just think about mouth cancer and that should change ur mind.

Fuck!

Master Blaster

• Getbig V
  • Not sure if getbig full of trolls or trolls getbig
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2011, 10:07:02 AM »

Its very very hard to quit for some people (like me). I found using the patch AND the gum at the same time after work finally got the job done. After a while switch to gum only. I chewed Nicorette probably like 7 years or so.   :-\

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2011, 10:08:16 AM »

i quit dipping recently it was killing my shoulders.
F