Author Topic: Shall I buy a belt (no chain) powered bike?  (Read 2641 times)

denarii

• Getbig V
Shall I buy a belt (no chain) powered bike?
« on: June 20, 2015, 04:03:43 AM »
I am using 50lb 'Boris bikes' at the moment. But they are slow. I want either a belt powered bike that doesnt use oil or a chain one in one of the cases to keep the oil away from shoes and trousers. Also need full mud guards.

Something like this:

http://rouxbikes.co.uk/shop/carbon-drive-a8/#!prettyPhoto

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2012/02/urban-belt-drive-bikes/

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
Re: Shall I buy a belt (no chain) powered bike?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 04:06:58 AM »
this is not a bicycle forum.

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 04:11:08 AM »
this is not a bicycle forum.

eh? what is all the cycle discussion then!

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 04:16:33 AM »
fair enough  ;)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 06:08:01 AM »
No engineer but I'm guessing that frictional loses from a rubber belt will be way higher than a greased, bushed (are cycle chains bushed?) chain.  Also, plastics and rubbers are elastic.  That's their unique benefit in a lot of applications.  In fixed gear to gear power transmission, I'm not seeing a stretchable material as a benefit.  Off the top of my head I can see a need for tension adjustment, either by idler gear or movable gear, and the load on the gears' arbors would be increased since they'd need to be spaced to maintain tension on the elastic rather than just a fixed distance that suits something less elastic like a steel chain.

Drive belts of umpteen varieties have been around for 100+ years but nobody has thought of using them on bikes until now?  Seems unlikely.  Sounds like a marketing gimmick to me.

Yes, they use them on cars.  Idk.  Maybe if a metal chain failed in a car it would cause catastrophic damage.  Maybe the belts are cheaper or are more forgiving to fit to fixed position pulleys/sprockets/idle geared assemblies. 

Proven technology is proven.  There's no such thing as newly sliced bread on something as basic as this imo.  Get yourself a grease guard and don't dress like a goddamn Jehova's Witness if you're fussed about dirtying your Sunday best.

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 06:38:28 AM »
the central groove keeps the belt on. the rear wheel is fixed to set the tension on the belt. the belt is carbon fiber with a rubber outer so not stretching. the gears are inside the rear wheel. you can have up to 9 speed. i dont think there is much power loss vs chain. its also a lot lighter than gears.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 07:01:15 AM »
the central groove keeps the belt on. the rear wheel is fixed to set the tension on the belt. the belt is carbon fiber with a rubber outer so not stretching. the gears are inside the rear wheel. you can have up to 9 speed. i dont think there is much power loss vs chain. its also a lot lighter than gears.

If the belt's in a fixed position and the wheel's in a fixed position, how do they shift?  Where's the gearbox between the driving and driven to govern the ratio?

And I gotta call BS on the no stretching.  The shit's got three physical dimensions and is going from straight to going around a radius.  If you did that with something rigid like glass it would break.  Tell me something about carbon fiber.  How does it work?  Is there a fiber grain/hinge thing happening here?

Are you spamming, denarius?

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 07:29:58 AM »
What exactly is the problem with a chain driven bike?
There will be next to no difference between the 9 gears so you may as well be riding a single speed bmx, gimmick pile of shit bike

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 07:48:07 AM »
What exactly is the problem with a chain driven bike?
There will be next to no difference between the 9 gears so you may as well be riding a single speed bmx, gimmick pile of shit bike

the oil. i use it for commuting.

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 07:49:23 AM »
If the belt's in a fixed position and the wheel's in a fixed position, how do they shift?  Where's the gearbox between the driving and driven to govern the ratio?

And I gotta call BS on the no stretching.  The shit's got three physical dimensions and is going from straight to going around a radius.  If you did that with something rigid like glass it would break.  Tell me something about carbon fiber.  How does it work?  Is there a fiber grain/hinge thing happening here?

Are you spamming, denarius?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=belt+hybrid+bike&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=-HyFVZ7-CoWqU6O5gLgO#tbm=shop&q=gates+belt+hybrid+bike

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 07:56:11 AM »
the oil. i use it for commuting.

you'll still get splattered with dirty water and shit by the belt chain, no ???

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 08:14:59 AM »
you'll still get splattered with dirty water and shit by the belt chain, no ???
The benefits of a belt are that they are lighter, quieter, and  required  less maintenance.
Imo, not worth it. Chains are easier to find and replace on a commuting bike.
A

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2015, 08:18:45 AM »
PM Fitnessfrenzy

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2015, 08:42:57 AM »
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=belt+hybrid+bike&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=-HyFVZ7-CoWqU6O5gLgO#tbm=shop&q=gates+belt+hybrid+bike

Yes, you should absolutely buy one then.  No skin will be removed from my nose.

Why do people say they want to discuss things, and then when you try to have a discussion they show no sign of wanting to discuss the thing they said they wanted to discuss?  Do I o-ffend?  ???

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2015, 08:52:00 AM »
I am using 50lb 'Boris bikes' at the moment. But they are slow. I want either a belt powered bike that doesnt use oil or a chain one in one of the cases to keep the oil away from shoes and trousers. Also need full mud guards.

Something like this:

I see no reason not to.  Belt drive is more than proven and internal hubs are too.  You're not racing, you're commuting.  Have fun with it.  Bikes are great!

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2015, 08:55:21 AM »
I see no reason not to.  Belt drive is more than proven and internal hubs are too.  You're not racing, you're commuting.  Have fun with it.  Bikes are great!

Glad to see your positive side, and yes, bicycling is good for everyone and makes the world a better place.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2015, 09:09:22 AM »
Glad to see your positive side, and yes, bicycling is good for everyone and makes the world a better place.

;D

Well, I can be positive but only about that which is what I think worthy my friend.  The rest of the time I am my usual self, i.e., a buttwipe.  ;D

Good to see you, brother.

Be well!

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2015, 09:16:29 AM »
;D

Well, I can be positive but only about that which is what I think worthy my friend.  The rest of the time I am my usual self, i.e., a buttwipe.  ;D

Good to see you, brother.

Be well!

I hear you Scott. This modern world is pretty fucked up, but I appreciate the basic/simple things like decent/talented/honest/creative/passionate people, nature and.. riding a bike :)

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2015, 09:19:57 AM »

Something like this:

Harley's have been belt driven for years.  Chains last longer than belts, but belts are smoother and quieter when operating.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2015, 02:21:42 PM »
How do you change the tire if you have a flat on the road with that set up? I don't see any quick release on that belt drive bike.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2015, 02:25:03 PM »

I like Amsterdam , so many FREE ( ;D) bikes around .............you just live them anywhere after use  8)

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2015, 02:39:14 PM »
How do you change the tire if you have a flat on the road with that set up? I don't see any quick release on that belt drive bike.

I think people get thicker tyres as changing is hard

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2015, 02:45:28 PM »
I like Amsterdam , so many FREE ( ;D) bikes around .............you just live them anywhere after use  8)

We're not living in the 7-8-ies anymore, that naive period is way behind us...

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2015, 02:52:45 PM »

As with most products, in buying any bike the first question you have to ask yourself is how much do you want to spend, because there are all kinds of bikes and features at every price point one can imagine.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2015, 02:56:23 PM »
We're not living in the 7-8-ies anymore, that naive period is way behind us...

Sucks ,  >:( where is Dutch freedom gone .......................p adlocking bikes at Amsterdam train station  :P

Fucked, I'll bring Ball Cutters with me  :)