Author Topic: Does your family understand your passion for BB?  (Read 6783 times)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Re: Does your family understand your passion for BB?
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2007, 01:28:44 PM »
youre my family, my getbiggers!

and youre so supportive!

:-*
Z

genrommel74

• Getbig III
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2007, 01:29:37 PM »
You need an education in order to support yourself and your bbing dreams

gatomjp

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2007, 01:30:32 PM »
hahaha, exactly but it's the truth, these clowns get their feelings hurt that their family doesn't understand the lifestyle but what RATIONAL human being would understand it? the "lifestyle" is selfish beyond belief, if you want to be a pro don't be surprised when an average woman deosn't understand it and starts fuccking the milkman.

Harsh! Funny! And true!!

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2007, 01:31:41 PM »
I don't get it. Can't a bodybuilder go to the gym an hour a day 4-5 days a week, eat 5-6 meals a day and not consider bodybuilding a "lifestyle"? Bodybuilding is a hobby to me. One I'm more passionate about above most else, but I don't skip out on life to "pump up" and run home at 4 PM to slap a chicken breast on the foreman grill. That's pure bullshit. You have a fucking problem. See a psychiatrist. We have ONE life to live throughout all of eternity and you're spending it on an obsessively irrational, lifetime commitment to get "swole". Monster psychosis, OCD, etc. I wish I could help but not even your family could so there's no point.
it gets obsessive when drugs gets involved in the picture. stay natural :)

gatomjp

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2007, 01:34:14 PM »
Can't a bodybuilder go to the gym an hour a day 4-5 days a week, eat 5-6 meals a day and not consider bodybuilding a "lifestyle"?

I don't think so figgs. I'm expanding this discussion to include EVERYTHING. If you want to excel...not just be good, but be the best of the best at something, considering it a hobby will only get you mediocrity. I'll bet people like Michael Jordan and Lance Armstrong and even Donald Trump missed plenty of family cookouts on the way to where they were going.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2007, 01:34:58 PM »
Harsh! Funny! And true!!
Son:hey dad wanna play catch?
            Bodybuilder "Dad":no son, i've got chest and triceps.
            Son:hey Dad, can you come to Show and Tell at school today?
            Dad:nope son, ive got my chicken and rice to eat.
            Son:hey Dad, can we go fishing?
            Dad:nope son i've got meal#9 to eat then 45 minutes of cardio and then upper back and side delts
             Girlfriend:wanna fucck tonight?
              Bodybuilder:can't do it tonight, got legs and then my third GH injection of the day plus i've gotta save my semen for my gay for pay appointment.

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2007, 01:37:50 PM »
That's way cool. I think I'm getting a little choked up! Must have made you feel good.
it made me feel incredible.............. .also the way she feels about Laura/the way she talks about her
it's like it's her own daughter,(i thought my mom was going to kill the judges when Laura wasn't getting the callouts we thought she should have)

I feel bad for Dave .....................his/your sister doesn't understand that "this life" (bodybuilding )is every bit as important to Dave as her life is............
it's as meaningful and fufilling as her life is!

gatomjp

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2007, 01:44:32 PM »

I think my sis sees that now.

figgs

• Getbig IV
  • from realization to infinity
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2007, 01:45:28 PM »
I don't think so figgs. I'm expanding this discussion to include EVERYTHING. If you want to excel...not just be good, but be the best of the best at something, considering it a hobby will only get you mediocrity. I'll bet people like Michael Jordan and Lance Armstrong and even Donald Trump missed plenty of family cookouts on the way to where they were going.

I'll agree with that, but bodybuilding is much simpler than owning a real estate empire or even just attending college. How much more do you need to do to get big than to bust your ass in the gym for an hour 4-5 days a week and carry a lunchbox around to get in your 5-7 meals? Inbetween meals and workouts there is time to enjoy life rather than write down in your training diary what your next workout will be and calculating how many calories was in your last 4 meals. Although he's being funny, I agree with squadfather. I know people who don't allow themselves to enjoy life just to keep trying to get bigger and bigger. We should all appreciate ourselves for having transformed our bodies and enjoy all the little ways being big influences our lives.

And no offense to Dave, but although he's a great bodybuilder he'll most likely never make it to the Olympia stage. Now I don't know what his career is, but I'd bet on my previous statement. What are his goals in competitive bodybuilding?

BTW I'm really enjoying the video RTB. I think it's entirely unique to the typical follow the pro bb to the gym and watch him work out and back home where he eats inhuman amounts of food. THAT'S excelling!
~

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2007, 01:48:31 PM »
I feel bad for Dave .....................his/your sister doesn't understand that "this life" (bodybuilding )is every bit as important to Dave as her life is............
Agreed.  You may not understand what your family member is doing, but if it is important to them...you should support them and not try to change them or their thoughts of fullfilment with what you think they should be.  Dave's sister made a choice to start a family and that is important to her.  How would she like it if he kept telling her starting a family was the worst thing she could do, or that he finds "her lifestyle" rediculous. 

There are far worse things to do (or lifestyles to have) than bodybuilding.  To each his own.  She needs to step up and support him like a sister should.

My sister doesn't understand why I do this, but she supports me and encourages me.  My father thinks I rock!   :D  He's very impressed with the changes I have made and is very proud of me.  I wish my mom was still here to see it too.  She would have been very proud of me.
:D Weee

gatomjp

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2007, 01:50:48 PM »
I'll agree with that, but bodybuilding is much simpler than owning a real estate empire or even just attending college. How much more do you need to do to get big than to bust your ass in the gym for an hour 4-5 days a week and carry a lunchbox around to get in your 5-7 meals? Inbetween meals and workouts there is time to enjoy life rather than write down in your training diary what your next workout will be and calculating how many calories was in your last 4 meals.

Any serious BBs want to disagree with him?

Figgs, I've seen how it's done. If you want to win at the National Level (Dave knows he no Olympia contender) you have to take your body to a highly unnatural state that it doesn't want to be. That takes a rigid, precise regimin that leaves time for little else...if you want to win. That's why I am fascinated by this sport enough to make two documentaries about it...because I don't understand it either!! They give up so much for it.

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2007, 01:52:56 PM »

Figgs, I've seen how it's done. If you want to win at the National Level (Dave knows he no Olympia contender) you have to take your body to a highly unnatural state that it doesn't want to be. That takes a rigid, precise regimin that leaves time for little else...if you want to win. That's why I am fascinated by this sport enough to make two documentaries about it...because I don't understand it either!! They give up so much for it.

Too much typing for me!!

(to be the best at something requires EXTREME sacrifice and discipline)

vinnyvee

• Getbig IV
  • Dorian never bitched, he just shut em up!
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2007, 01:59:35 PM »
            Dad:nope son i've got meal#9 to eat then 45 minutes of cardio and then upper back and side delts
              Bodybuilder:can't do it tonight, got legs and then my third GH injection of the day plus i've gotta save my semen for my gay for pay appointment.

C'mon SF,,,that's pushing things just a bit wouldnt you say???

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2007, 02:00:33 PM »
I'll agree with that, but bodybuilding is much simpler than owning a real estate empire or even just attending college. How much more do you need to do to get big than to bust your ass in the gym for an hour 4-5 days a week and carry a lunchbox around to get in your 5-7 meals? Inbetween meals and workouts there is time to enjoy life rather than write down in your training diary what your next workout will be and calculating how many calories was in your last 4 meals. Although he's being funny, I agree with squadfather. I know people who don't allow themselves to enjoy life just to keep trying to get bigger and bigger. We should all appreciate ourselves for having transformed our bodies and enjoy all the little ways being big influences our lives.

And no offense to Dave, but although he's a great bodybuilder he'll most likely never make it to the Olympia stage. Now I don't know what his career is, but I'd bet on my previous statement. What are his goals in competitive bodybuilding?

BTW I'm really enjoying the video RTB. I think it's entirely unique to the typical follow the pro bb to the gym and watch him work out and back home where he eats inhuman amounts of food. THAT'S excelling!
Figgs, you pretty much said it in your own post.  You either want it, or you don't.  An average gym goer isn't going to just live a normal life and then walk on stage and place (not at a national level, that's for sure).  Living the life Dave lives started out as a dream, then desired, then a choice, and then an ultimate goal.  It's more than just a lunchbox and work out.  It's hard work and dedication and love for what you're doing and where you're going.

gatomjp

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2007, 02:01:08 PM »
C'mon SF,,,that's pushing things just a bit wouldnt you say???

Not much! That's only a slight exaggeration.

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2007, 02:02:51 PM »
Sooooooo what you're saying is that you're not a bodybuilder.   ;)

Just kidding SF   :-*

gatomjp

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2007, 02:07:41 PM »
Figgs, you pretty much said it in your own post.  You either want it, or you don't.  An average gym goer isn't going to just live a normal life and then walk on stage and place (not at a national level, that's for sure).  Living the life Dave lives started out as a dream, then desired, then a choice, and then an ultimate goal.  It's more than just a lunchbox and work out.  It's hard work and dedication and love for what you're doing and where you're going.

Well put Laura.

If you never feel that way about anything in your life figgs I feel bad for you. There's nothing more exhilerating than an all consuming passion for a worthy goal.

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2007, 02:11:09 PM »

I honestly never competed and never knew anyone who competed. I learned about contest prep from reading about it and watching videos and one thing I noticed is that most competitors maintain jobs and things while going through contest prep. It’s kinda like having two jobs, yeah, but it’s not like being in an office for 9 hours a day. It’s a completely different kind of job. And I’m fascinated about it too which is why I keep up with the sport.

Now I’m going to make a statement that may offend people but I believe it. Bodybuilding doesn’t require above semi-retarded intelligence. All it takes is to learn simple things about your body such as which workout routines work best for you and formulating diet plans but it doesn’t require a great deal of deep thought. Aside from that, which I consider the most intellectually challenging aspect, all you need is the willpower to train intensely and maintain a strict diet. That’s too easy and I can’t believe so many people have trouble with that part alone.
~

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2007, 02:12:00 PM »
Since when do you have to give up having a life to be a pro bb? Ronnie Coleman was a full time cop and a father of two, Dexter Jackson had a wife and 3 kids, Troy Alves was in the Airforce, Daid Henry works over 40 hrs a week managing an army warehouse, Garrett Downign was a marine who served in the gulf War . . .

I'd hate to suggest that to devote one's every waking moment to being an amateur bb with little hope of being on the Mr. Olympia stage is somehow selfish and lazy. Instead, I suggest that they must be nearsighted and lack imagination. Hell, I'm in the army starting my predeployement work to go overseas and I still get all of my workouts and meals in.

You can follow your bb dream and still do something with your life

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2007, 02:14:36 PM »
When she went to my first show and saw me onstage (also when she saw the "Hell" that i went thru dieting for that show)

you could see the pride in her smile/the way she talked about me and the contest

(she told me at that very first show i did that "she loved me and was never more proud of me than right now" )

your mom should be very proud cause your displaying the monster genetics that she gave you.

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2007, 02:21:03 PM »

I understand the passionate part but what I don't get is what he's doing when his family is getting together. On a day when you're scheduled to do something like spending time with your family how about scheduling your workout around the event, or having healthy foods available at the cookout? I'd rather go to a cookout with a shoulder/arm pump after a good, hard workout and bring some of my best healthy bb food for my family.

Well put Laura.

If you never feel that way about anything in your life figgs I feel bad for you. There's nothing more exhilerating than an all consuming passion for a worthy goal.

Don't feel bad for me. I'm passionate about life, about starting my first year in college in just over a month, my pursuit to become a personal trainer and the best trainer I could possibly be, and to eventually become a surgeon. And 4 days a week I'll always go to the gym to have the best workouts possible, and continue to physically exceed myself!

I think you did a damn good job on the documentary and I think it's end result was a total success. Congrats!
~

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2007, 02:22:42 PM »
Since when do you have to give up having a life to be a pro bb? Ronnie Coleman was a full time cop and a father of two, Dexter Jackson had a wife and 3 kids, Troy Alves was in the Airforce, Daid Henry works over 40 hrs a week managing an army warehouse, Garrett Downign was a marine who served in the gulf War . . .

I'd hate to suggest that to devote one's every waking moment to being an amateur bb with little hope of being on the Mr. Olympia stage is somehow selfish and lazy. Instead, I suggest that they must be nearsighted and lack imagination. Hell, I'm in the army starting my predeployement work to go overseas and I still get all of my workouts and meals in.

You can follow your bb dream and still do something with your life

Great post. Honest words!
~

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2007, 02:27:18 PM »
I think Dave needs to smoke more weed to be 100% honest.
~

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2007, 03:30:56 PM »
Sorry about that. Some people do care but you are free to skip any posts by gatomjp. I've put my passion into making a DVD that says something personal and important about the sport that we are all here to talk about and that some of us love so it's only natural that I would post about it here.

Yes for about the 20th time, first it was threads about the COMING of your video, now it's actually here! YESSSSS! MORE THREADS PLEEEEEEEEZ WE NEED TO GET THE WORD OUT!

eastcoastbbman

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2007, 04:13:18 PM »
hi, fellow getbiggers! its dave pulcinella. i have to say, i am GUILTY AS CHARGED!!! guilty of being absent at some ( not all ) family gatherings. guilty of not being as available as i could be at these "milestones" my sister speaks of. guilty of being regimented, even robotic in my daily routine. guilty , guilty , guilty!!

but i am also "guilty" of having won 2 overall state titles, 2 overall regional titles, a top 5 placing in a pro qualifier and 2 national class wins.......all in the past 3 years. i know, i know...who cares, right? in the grand scheme of things, this little microcosm called competitive bodybuilding doesnt mean much to the outside world at all. im not blind to that. i also have no delusions of competing on the olympia stage. my genetics are average. i accepted that a long time ago.....BUT!! it means alot to ME!! my shows are MY "milestones". its what i do. its what ive wanted to do since the age of 12 when i saw arnold and franco and ferrigno in the magazines. these guys were gods to me. to do as well as i have in the sport ive loved since before puberty, means the world to me. if i can top off my competitive career with earning an ifbb pro card, i will feel as though theres NOTHING in this world i cant do. ( corny, i know..but true)

i also think its worth mentioning that i am only absent from family gatherings for the 16 weeks leading up to a show. the rest of the year, i am very available. im sure my sis would agree with that.

as far as doing bb'ing to the exclusion of ALL ELSE, i hardly consider myself guilty of that. i do run my own business and have for the past 15 years. i support myself completely with the income i generate with this business ( no, its not g4p).. this by itelf is extremely involved.i also get numerous figure competitors and bb'ers ready for shows and travel to those shows to support them and i spend much time composing and recording original piano pieces for my brothers video projects.

anyway, i hate defending myself. im uncomfortable whenever i have to toot my own horn, but you have all made great points and i just wanted to add my "counterpoint"

thanks for indulging me......dave p.