Author Topic: Cruz 2016  (Read 90596 times)

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
Re: Cruz 2016
« Reply #125 on: October 16, 2013, 03:04:36 PM »
Yeah.  Whatever you say.  I'm sure you'll be pointing out a lot of "bad" things about Cruz. 

I don't know whether he is the right person in 2016.  Depends on how he performs and who else is running.  But I do like what I've read and seen so far from him.  Definitely smarter than the guy occupying the White House now. 

If he can't then what's the worst case scenario? A solid voice in the senate for the next couple decades? I'll take that.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #126 on: October 16, 2013, 03:08:43 PM »
If he can't then what's the worst case scenario? A solid voice in the senate for the next couple decades? I'll take that.

True.  We need smart, accomplished people in government.  I hope he stays. 

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #127 on: October 16, 2013, 03:38:17 PM »
Spoken like a real doctor

I was being factitious but I can see that was lost on you.

aids is a conspiracy

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #128 on: October 17, 2013, 12:56:29 PM »
blink blink blink
teddy blinked
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #129 on: October 18, 2013, 10:43:44 AM »
Cruz: This Wasn't The 'Ted Cruz Shutdown'
Thursday, 17 Oct 2013
By Greg Richter

Sen. Ted Cruz would do "anything" to stop full implementation of Obamacare, he told ABC News' Jonathan Karl when asked if he would be willing to allow another government shutdown in his fight against the healthcare law.

"I would do anything, and I will continue to do anything I can, to stop the train wreck that is Obamacare," Cruz, R-Texas, said Thursday on ABC's "World News Tonight."

Cruz was unfazed when Karl told him that the 16-day shutdown that ended late Wednesday is seen as "the Ted Cruz shutdown."

"Jon, I agree that a lot of D.C. politicians tried to call it that, and a lot of the media did, too," Cruz said. But the freshman senator said he repeatedly declared he didn't want a shutdown, and repeatedly voted to reopen the government.

Blame, he said, lies with Democratic Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and President Barack Obama for their refusal to negotiate or compromise. Cruz led the effort to tie defunding of Obamacare to the continuing budget resolution.

Republican leadership blasted Cruz, saying that while they agreed with his argument, his tactic wouldn't work. Polls showed the public blamed Democrats, Republicans and Obama for the impasse, but Republicans took the biggest hit, seeing their approval ratings hit a record low.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, who along with Reid hammered out the final deal that ended the shutdown took a different view, saying there would be no further shutdowns.

"One of my favorite old Kentucky sayings is there's no education in the second kick of a mule," McConnell told The Hill.

http://www.newsmax.com/NewsmaxTv/ted-cruz-anything-obamacare-shutdown/2013/10/17/id/531704#ixzz2i63KbF00

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #130 on: October 18, 2013, 10:49:42 AM »
"One of my favorite old Kentucky sayings is there's no education in the second kick of a mule," McConnell told The Hill.

http://www.newsmax.com/NewsmaxTv/ted-cruz-anything-obamacare-shutdown/2013/10/17/id/531704#ixzz2i63KbF00

If there is anyone that needs to get mule-kicked in the head, it is McConnell.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #131 on: October 18, 2013, 11:14:55 AM »
If there is anyone that needs to get mule-kicked in the head, it is McConnell.

Agree.  Scoring that earmark was pretty darn bad.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #132 on: October 18, 2013, 11:49:06 AM »

LOL, oh NOW he wants to disown it?  haha I bet if obama had folded instead of winning 100% of his obhectives (as palin admitted), Cruz woudln't be distancing himself from the shutdown.

Appearing on Fox News on Monday, Cruz argued that the shutdown — for which he toured the country and swayed his House colleagues — would end up doing Republicans more good than harm in the next election cycle.   http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2013/10/ted-cruz-convinced-his-strategy-will-lead-republicans-2014-victory/70299/

Sorry, but Cruz OWNS the shutdown, for good or for bad.  He toured the country to convince house members to join in, according to FOX news lol.  If the shutdown had been a success, and not a failure, Cruz would have rode it straight to the 2016 nomination.  We all know this.  Wisely so, too. 

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #133 on: October 18, 2013, 01:34:09 PM »
LOL, oh NOW he wants to disown it?  

Sorry, but can you put up a link where he claimed that it was his shutdown?

You can say he was misguided, but to say that he made it all about himself is silly even for yourself.

At least, he stood up for what he believes in, unlike the faggoty republicans in the house of representatives who voted to kick the can down the road for another 5 months. WOOOOHOOO!!

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #134 on: October 18, 2013, 02:16:04 PM »
Sorry, but can you put up a link where he claimed that it was his shutdown?

You can say he was misguided, but to say that he made it all about himself is silly even for yourself.

At least, he stood up for what he believes in, unlike the faggoty republicans in the house of representatives who voted to kick the can down the road for another 5 months. WOOOOHOOO!!

That last part is the key...and exactly why conservatives are appreciating him...for the first time they have someone who will actually MAKE A STAND, on principle, even knowing it may hurt him. Conservatives are sick of, and have had nothing but, defeatist wimpy RINOS who inevitably cave under pressure and sell out the cause, and for once they somebody who actually can't be backed down.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #135 on: October 18, 2013, 02:50:50 PM »
That last part is the key...and exactly why conservatives are appreciating him...for the first time they have someone who will actually MAKE A STAND, on principle, even knowing it may hurt him. Conservatives are sick of, and have had nothing but, defeatist wimpy RINOS who inevitably cave under pressure and sell out the cause, and for once they somebody who actually can't be backed down.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #136 on: October 19, 2013, 04:46:48 AM »

Then what do you call this quote?:

He might not have backed down but he didnt take any resposibility either. A sad man.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #137 on: October 19, 2013, 06:52:10 AM »
I admire him for making the move, and as fox said, traveling and getting everyone on board.  it was a cool move.  But now that it failed, it seems the GOP establishment is using this to TRASH him.  Palin, boehnner, rush, levin, all calling the shutdown a FAILURE for repubs and "obama got 100% of what he wanted"

They're throwing him under the bus now.  Still, he has to own it.  Keep his name on it.  Cause in 2 years, the sting will pass and he'll want to own it again, bragging about it as the only 2016er that really gave enough of a shit to do something.  Disowning it now... I hope getbiggers remember... and in 1-2 years, when debates begin, and someone says "Remember when cruz had the balls to lead that shutdown (which is accurate), we will have to remind ourselves "No, he made it very clear afterwards, it wasn't a ted cruz thing, it was a congress thing".

I still think he's the 2016 guy.  But he SHOULD be saying yes, it's his baby.  Cause it is!

Gonuclear

• Getbig III
  • It depends on what the meaning of "is" is.
« Reply #138 on: October 20, 2013, 03:55:12 PM »
It's cracking me up that our resident right wingers think a batshit crazy teabagger from Texas has any chance on a national ticket

You guys pass up viable candidates like Christie and go for the absolute craziest morons - Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, etc..

Great, isn't it?   They hate Christie, and he is probably their strongest candidate right now.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: October 22, 2013, 02:49:15 PM »
Upsetting Republicans and Democrats?  I'm starting to like this guy.   :)

Republican Sen. Ted Cruz blasts 'party bosses' in homecoming rally
Updated 10/22/2013 at 1:48pm

(CNN) – Sen. Ted Cruz was greeted by a screaming crowd of supporters and cheers of "Thank you Ted!" and "Welcome Home!" Monday night in Texas.

The freshman senator said he was happy to be back home in Houston, and wasn't afraid to be honest about his feelings on Washington.

"It is terrific to be back in America," said Cruz as supporters waved homemade signs promoting "#MakeDCListen," a hashtag that was a prominent part of Cruz's 21-hour speech on the Senate floor in late September.

In the opinion of many on Capitol Hill, Democrats and Republicans, that speech was the kick-off of an irresponsible and destructive campaign to defund Obamacare at the risk of all else.

With the White House and Congress unable to settle their budgetary differences, the federal government was partially shut down for more than two weeks, and came very close to running out of money to pay its bills.

Cruz's colleagues in the Senate didn't stay quiet. "It was a fool's errand to start with. It was never going to succeed," Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, said Sunday on CNN's "State of the Union."

On CBS's "Face the Nation," Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky, said, "Shutting down the government, in my view, is not conservative policy."

Back in Texas, Cruz was quick to admit that he had made some enemies when he told the crowd a story about his two young daughters.

Catherine had announced at a family outing that she wanted to grow up to work in the Senate "like daddy." However, Cruz's other daughter, Caroline, immediately dismissed that as "boring." She also pointed out the fact that "by then daddy will be dead anyways."

Cruz went on to say, "I kind of wondered if Caroline had been talking to Republican leadership in Washington, if she knew something I didn't know."

If this isn't evidence enough that Cruz isn't too concerned with the "voices in Washington," when asked whether he was hoping to repair his relationships with Republican leaders, Cruz laughed. "I don't work for the party bosses in Washington. I work for 26 million Texans."

Ted Cruz won't rule out another shutdown, aide tells CNN

Cruz had some fun with the problems plaguing HealthCare.gov as well, saying, "the Nigerian e-mail scammers" had been hired to run the site.

The senator also had some harsh words, laying the blame for "a lousy deal" squarely at the feet of the Senate Republicans who didn't "unite with House Republicans."

The deal that ended the shutdown and raised the debt ceiling was passed with 87 House Republicans joining 197 Democrats to vote 'Yea' and 144 Republicans voting 'Nay.'

"We didn't ultimately win this battle," said Cruz. "But listen, no one in this room started this fight thinking it would be easy. We all knew that if we took on the Washington establishment the establishment would fight back."

Cruz assured the crowd that the past two months had seen enormous progress and that if they "follow the model" of grass-roots campaigns and citizen engagement they would "change the debate" in Washington.

Movements such as the constituent support of Kentucky Republican Sen. Rand Paul's filibuster on drones, and the backlash against gun control legislation after the shooting in Newtown, Cruz said, were evidence of effective campaigns Democrats and the White House were forced to listen to.

Cruz said the message of the rally was clear: Texans and the American people don't want Obamacare and they're fed up with Congress.

But for all his talk of blowing off the party bosses, Cruz acknowledged that success for the Republicans lay with a unified message.

"I'm hopeful, with a little bit of time and reflection, that Senate Republicans will decide to come together again," Cruz said.

"I would love to see Republican unity, to see all of us stand together against this train wreck that is Obamacare and with the American people."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/10/21/republican-sen-ted-cruz-blasts-party-bosses-in-homecoming-rally/?hpt=hp_t3

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #140 on: October 22, 2013, 03:19:29 PM »
I think if the GOP just relaxes and lets the cards play out the Dems will implode in 2014 then 2016 will be wide open. The open D Senate seats favor a R change due to demographics. The House should stay about the same if not a bigger GOP gain due to Obamacare failing shortly. This give Cruz time to sharpen his Spanish and start traveling abroad exposing the less than lackluster tenure of Secretary Clinton. Europe is going conservative again and they will welcome Cruz. He needs (a good liberal word of choice) gravitas.
H Clinton is like the Kardashians...famous for being famous. She did squat while a Senator and squat while Sec of State.

I am a secular Libertarian who votes mostly Republican while holding my nose. If Cruz brings his religion into the forefront like his Pastor father is urging him to do....I punt.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #141 on: October 22, 2013, 03:31:23 PM »
I think if the GOP just relaxes and lets the cards play out the Dems will implode in 2014 then 2016 will be wide open. The open D Senate seats favor a R change due to demographics. The House should stay about the same if not a bigger GOP gain due to Obamacare failing shortly. This give Cruz time to sharpen his Spanish and start traveling abroad exposing the less than lackluster tenure of Secretary Clinton. Europe is going conservative again and they will welcome Cruz. He needs (a good liberal word of choice) gravitas.
H Clinton is like the Kardashians...famous for being famous. She did squat while a Senator and squat while Sec of State.

I am a secular Libertarian who votes mostly Republican while holding my nose. If Cruz brings his religion into the forefront like his Pastor father is urging him to do....I punt.

Interesting take.  Never thought about Hillary being famous for being famous, but there is some truth to that. 

Also agree with your comments about what Cruz needs to do to become viable. 

Regarding religion, he has to start wearing it on his sleeve.  They all do when they're running.  Obama did it.  But that doesn't bother me, unless they are disingenuous. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #142 on: October 22, 2013, 03:47:37 PM »
It's going to be fun watching the teabaggers be utterly dumbfounded AGAIN when the country rejects their idiotic candidates

It's always funny how they are baffled as to why the majority of the country wants nothing to do with these people

If Ron Paul can't get any national traction then Ted Cruz certainly isn't going to do any better

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #143 on: October 22, 2013, 03:58:37 PM »
Upsetting Republicans and Democrats?  I'm starting to like this guy.   :)

Republican Sen. Ted Cruz blasts 'party bosses' in homecoming rally
Updated 10/22/2013 at 1:48pm

(CNN) – Sen. Ted Cruz was greeted by a screaming crowd of supporters and cheers of "Thank you Ted!" and "Welcome Home!" Monday night in Texas.

The freshman senator said he was happy to be back home in Houston, and wasn't afraid to be honest about his feelings on Washington.

"It is terrific to be back in America," said Cruz as supporters waved homemade signs promoting "#MakeDCListen," a hashtag that was a prominent part of Cruz's 21-hour speech on the Senate floor in late September.

In the opinion of many on Capitol Hill, Democrats and Republicans, that speech was the kick-off of an irresponsible and destructive campaign to defund Obamacare at the risk of all else.

With the White House and Congress unable to settle their budgetary differences, the federal government was partially shut down for more than two weeks, and came very close to running out of money to pay its bills.

Cruz's colleagues in the Senate didn't stay quiet. "It was a fool's errand to start with. It was never going to succeed," Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, said Sunday on CNN's "State of the Union."

On CBS's "Face the Nation," Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky, said, "Shutting down the government, in my view, is not conservative policy."

Back in Texas, Cruz was quick to admit that he had made some enemies when he told the crowd a story about his two young daughters.

Catherine had announced at a family outing that she wanted to grow up to work in the Senate "like daddy." However, Cruz's other daughter, Caroline, immediately dismissed that as "boring." She also pointed out the fact that "by then daddy will be dead anyways."

Cruz went on to say, "I kind of wondered if Caroline had been talking to Republican leadership in Washington, if she knew something I didn't know."

If this isn't evidence enough that Cruz isn't too concerned with the "voices in Washington," when asked whether he was hoping to repair his relationships with Republican leaders, Cruz laughed. "I don't work for the party bosses in Washington. I work for 26 million Texans."

Ted Cruz won't rule out another shutdown, aide tells CNN

Cruz had some fun with the problems plaguing HealthCare.gov as well, saying, "the Nigerian e-mail scammers" had been hired to run the site.

The senator also had some harsh words, laying the blame for "a lousy deal" squarely at the feet of the Senate Republicans who didn't "unite with House Republicans."

The deal that ended the shutdown and raised the debt ceiling was passed with 87 House Republicans joining 197 Democrats to vote 'Yea' and 144 Republicans voting 'Nay.'

"We didn't ultimately win this battle," said Cruz. "But listen, no one in this room started this fight thinking it would be easy. We all knew that if we took on the Washington establishment the establishment would fight back."

Cruz assured the crowd that the past two months had seen enormous progress and that if they "follow the model" of grass-roots campaigns and citizen engagement they would "change the debate" in Washington.

Movements such as the constituent support of Kentucky Republican Sen. Rand Paul's filibuster on drones, and the backlash against gun control legislation after the shooting in Newtown, Cruz said, were evidence of effective campaigns Democrats and the White House were forced to listen to.

Cruz said the message of the rally was clear: Texans and the American people don't want Obamacare and they're fed up with Congress.

But for all his talk of blowing off the party bosses, Cruz acknowledged that success for the Republicans lay with a unified message.

"I'm hopeful, with a little bit of time and reflection, that Senate Republicans will decide to come together again," Cruz said.

"I would love to see Republican unity, to see all of us stand together against this train wreck that is Obamacare and with the American people."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/10/21/republican-sen-ted-cruz-blasts-party-bosses-in-homecoming-rally/?hpt=hp_t3

yeah, turning off people in both Republican and Democratic parties is a brilliant strategy for winning a national election

at least he admits he and his party caused the last shutdown.....right Bum?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #144 on: October 22, 2013, 06:06:03 PM »
Upsetting Republicans and Democrats?  I'm starting to like this guy.   :)

I'd prefer the repubs choose a candidate that ALL republicans like.

In 2008, they chose a candidate that half the repubs couldn't stand.  They lost.
In 2012, they chose a candidate that half the repubs couldn't stand.  They lost.

Maybe in 2016, the repubs should choose a candidate that most of the people in the party like. 

Seriously, i CANNOT understand repubs continually working so hard to find a candidate with the highest mountain to climb to win the nomination.  It's like "Oh, this guy wrote a gun bill AND supported abortion, let's run him!" and the base stays home.   It's like they just see some cool Hollywood storyline of "Oh, this dude overcame the greatest odds to win!"  -  That's NOT how it works.  Run a smart candidate that doesn't cause 20% of the party to hold their noses and stay home on election day.  Or, enjoy a Hilary presidency.

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #145 on: October 22, 2013, 07:59:54 PM »
Lots of truth in above. Dems can call each other scumbags like Kennedy and Johnson  and Obama and Hillary....then they end up snuggling under the sheets. The GOP ends up eating their own children. The only way Regan got elected was thru conservatives and the Regan Democrats. 3 million Republicans stayed home last election. Half thought of Romney as a RINO and the evangelicals thought the Morman was the devil. They got Obama, 7 trillian in addded debt, staggering unemployment, loss of face on the foriegn front, rise of Moslem Brotherhood, class warefare, degredation of our military, OBAMACARE....need I go on? Thanks asshole Republicans.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #146 on: October 22, 2013, 08:44:47 PM »
Lots of truth in above. Dems can call each other scumbags like Kennedy and Johnson  and Obama and Hillary....then they end up snuggling under the sheets. The GOP ends up eating their own children. The only way Regan got elected was thru conservatives and the Regan Democrats. 3 million Republicans stayed home last election. Half thought of Romney as a RINO and the evangelicals thought the Morman was the devil. They got Obama, 7 trillian in addded debt, staggering unemployment, loss of face on the foriegn front, rise of Moslem Brotherhood, class warefare, degredation of our military, OBAMACARE....need I go on? Thanks asshole Republicans.

Reagan couldn't get through the primaries today

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #147 on: October 23, 2013, 12:42:31 AM »
Reagan couldn't get through the primaries today

Regan use to fancy sucking the dick before he was governor.  That's why his first wife left him.  Nancy was all about the convenience.

Gonuclear

• Getbig III
  • It depends on what the meaning of "is" is.
« Reply #148 on: October 23, 2013, 02:46:20 AM »
Regan use to fancy sucking the dick before he was governor.  That's why his first wife left him.  Nancy was all about the convenience.

Thanks for elevating the discussion.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #149 on: October 23, 2013, 11:33:16 AM »
Lots of truth in above. Dems can call each other scumbags like Kennedy and Johnson  and Obama and Hillary....then they end up snuggling under the sheets. The GOP ends up eating their own children.

tough to argue this.  Plus, if you had to list 5 differences between the hilary and obama 2008 platforms/positions, well, they were pretty close.

Now, could we list differences between Ron paul, Mitt, Huck, mccain?  Oh yes - worlds apart on a lot of issues.   This is the problem?