Author Topic: Mccnabe says black qb's critasized more  (Read 5559 times)

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
Re: Mccnabe says black qb's critasized more
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2007, 06:50:26 AM »
Listening to ESPN/FSN radio last night, it seemed like all the black commentators sided with Mcnabb, while the whites said he was full of shit. Even on Around the Horn, Cowlishaw said bullshit, and Michael Smith said Mcnabb was right. I am a lifelong Eagles fan but was one of the guys booing when we drafted him. Nothing to do with color, but he loafs 80% of the time.
gotta love life

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2007, 07:49:12 AM »
If he wins the super bowl,case closed ;)
Hell,even Peyton caught crap till he won it.

body88

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2007, 08:56:46 AM »
If he wins the super bowl,case closed ;)
Hell,even Peyton caught crap till he won it.

I think Manning fans like to ignore how the criticism Payton got before he won it all last year was 100 percent warrented. Manning has been AWFUL in the playoffs over his career. More of liability to his team then asset. Everyone acts as if people just gave him junk because he did not win a sb. Most all the choking criticism he got , he deserved. Look at his stats from the first two games last year. If the d had not stepped up and things where based on Manning's performance they would have been screwed.

I don't think anyone ever said Manning was not a great QB ( tho who where honest) " the knocks" came from throwing more int's then td's a bunch of times in playoff games. Rushing throws, getting frustrated, etc etc.

Manning has always been a fantastic qb.Now that he has had succes in the playoffs ( ne / superbowl) the bad play should subside with the new confidence.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2007, 09:36:56 AM »
If you are going to try to sit there and tell me having a offensive line that only allows one sack every 20 drop backs, one set of pro bowl and hall of fame caliber receivers over your entire career, a hall of fame running back, all pro caliber tight ends, and the same genius offensive coordinator since you came into the game is not going to help a very talented qb I don't even wanna argue with ya about it. Over the first two games Brady has had some actual time to throw, and some pretty nice weapons to throw to now. Vs better teams Brady has the better numbers. Bradys qb rating is over 30 pts higher, he has more tds and is equal in all other stats. What throws can manning make Brady can't? Watching both guys this year Brady is much cooler/calm in the pocket.

What irks me about Manning is the fact he has never really had to deal with real adversity. Always had the same players coaches and support system. They have always given him EVERYTHING he needed to succeed. Also people ignore all the weapons he has always had. Ignore his terrible playoff play. Last year he almost cost his team the sb again. When all the pressure was square on him in the KC and Baltimore games, he played terrible. Look at the numbers. Fact is lousy play on both opponents parts, and his d stepping up bailed him out. He didn't throw a td pass in the ravens game! His defense gave him a chance to play well vs NE and also da bears. He did play well in the NE game.

Like I said I think Manning is one of the greatest ever, but I don't agree he is "way better" then Brady. I don't know anyone who says that but only the most delusional colts homer ( not talking about you) Most all qb coaches and or analysts have Manning 1a and Brady 1b right now. Some still have Brady 1a. In a big game I take Tom every day of the week.

I could also bring up the point that BRADY could've been the leagues duck had it not been for ONE MASSIVELY WRONG AND LUCKY CALL vs the raiders that got the ball rolling.  Maybe that gave him the confidence to get over the playoff hump.  And its not like Brady hasn't been surrounded by quite a cast of players either.  The threat of manning's arm is a massive part of what makes that line so good, the defense has to react to that everytime.  I'm not saying you're wrong but... brady has had the coach of all coaches since walsh behind him and they've cheating for who knows how long... seriously??  brady has had as much in his favor as manning has.

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2007, 12:31:54 PM »
qb's of any color and coaches are always the ones who catch most of the criticism when a team is not playing well. its seems like mcnabb has some type of chip on his shoulder about this black qb thing. i remember back when t.o did that interview with michael irving for espn and made a comment about if the eagles had brett farve they would be winning games right now. mcnabbs response to that was that t.o only said that because farve is a white qb. not because he is/was a great qb.just that he was white and mcnabb is black. he said it would have been like him saying that if i had someone like joe jurevicius to throw the ball to instead of t.o the eagles would be winning right now. mcnabb needs to just shut up and get the job done on the field if he still can.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2007, 08:44:28 AM »
i think all qb's get judged the same; you either lead your team to winning the super bowl or you get hounded for not doing so. unfair, but true.

I couldn't agree more. 

If anything, McNabb has been less criticized nationally than Manning was before he finally won a Super Bowl.  Why?  Because McNabb is not considered to be as TALENTED as Manning and wherever you go in life, more is expected from those who have more talent. 

Now, if McNabb wants to whine about PHILADELPHIA athletes being criticized more than athletes in other cities, then he's got a legitimate gripe, but that's a LOCAL ISSUE THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HIM BEING BLACK.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2007, 08:48:12 AM »
You can say "not as good" if that is your opinion, but to say not nearly as good is ludicrous.

Everything Brady has done in New England is under a cloud of suspicion.

Guys like Jaworski and Salisbury who've spent the past several years sucking up to Belichick and Brady don't want to now have to admit they were wrong, so they're sticking to their jock-riding.

Salisbury is definitely the biggest pussy in the football media today.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2007, 08:50:00 AM »
As for McNabb's case, I think the fans in PHilly particularily are the worst in sports so of course McNabb is going to feel the heat a lot more...
I think that makes them GREAT fans.   ;)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2007, 08:51:43 AM »
Dude, i love tom brady, i really do... but manning can pick apart a defense in ways that brady could never dream of, and with more of the cheating scandal coming to light, we will REALLY see how good brady is.  This cheating scandal is only just STARTING, its not over by a long shot.
My prediction is that they will continue to cheat...they'll be more discreet about it, still filming, but using non-staff members to do it.

Cheaters - and that's what Belichick is - never stop.  They merely change their tactics. 

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2007, 08:52:53 AM »
Dude, Aikman had the greatest O-line ever and he never put up numbers like Manning.

He didn't have to, because Emmitt did a terrific job back there.  The QB's job was to keep the line moving and at the end of the day, Aikman was a terrific game manager. 

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2007, 08:54:39 AM »
Donovan is a pretty good qb, but he's also fat (yeah he's fat, look at most other successful qb's in the league and they are in much better shape...

We told him at the time that doing the Chunky Soup commercial was a very bad idea.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2007, 12:18:18 PM »
I think that makes them GREAT fans.   ;)

I agree... I'm a fan and I would toss Reid and McNabb.

He didn't have to, because Emmitt did a terrific job back there.  The QB's job was to keep the line moving and at the end of the day, Aikman was a terrific game manager. 

I agree with this to a point... I agree that Emmitt was the reason that the Cowboys kicked so much ass in the early 90s.

I think Aikman was good... really good, but not great. I don't think giving him a raise and denying Emmitt one was a good move by Jerry Jones back then either.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2007, 03:40:02 PM »

The thing about Philadelphia sports fans is that these guys live and die with their teams and I think that's something to be admired.

Although Philly has a storied history all its own, it's not New York and it's not DC.  It's sandwiched in between and is always third fiddle on the east coast. 

From a sporting perspective, the Steelers and Pirates and Penguins have had a lot more recent success than the Eagles, Phillies, and Flyers, to say nothing of how horrible the 76ers have been given all the talent they've had.

All that said, I LOVE the Philadelphia sports fans and I hope they never change, because I consider them to be a very important part of sporting culture in this country.

body88

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2007, 04:21:15 AM »
My prediction is that they will continue to cheat...they'll be more discreet about it, still filming, but using non-staff members to do it.

Cheaters - and that's what Belichick is - never stop.  They merely change their tactics. 

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3029661

The NFL disagrees. Aiello himself said there is no proof or evidence to confirm serial cheating as you suggest. No proof or evidence to support the claims that the witch hunter's are hurling around. If there was anything illegal being done with the material the NFL requested, the pats would have been further punished. The tapes certainly would not have been destroyed ( to prevent a leak to news media like the first tape). Fact is this was an isolated mistake. Your disdain for the patriots wont allow you to admit this. The NFL blatantly says the rule violation the pats where busted for was having a camera on the field. We all know it is perfectly legal to steal signs in the NFL. Many teams have lip readers on the pay role. You can't however video tape signals with a "video machine" as the rule states. As clarified taping signs for later use may have been a  loophole, but the rule clearly says no video machines period. Beli and co screwed up. They made a mistake. You can say it all you want that the pats have been cheating for year's. The only problem is none of what you are saying is based on actual evidence or facts. You are saying it because you don't like the patriots, and never have. Since they where caught breaking a rule, people are taking them to the woodshed who didn't like them to begin with. The comish looked at all video and documentation he requested dating back all the way back till 2000. The comish found nothing illegal on that material apparently. If the pats where cheating for years they would have been further punished.

Of course you could accept Roger Goodel at his word when he went on national tv on mnf and stated he was 100 percent certain he would see all the material he requested from the pats. His finding's support this being an isolated incident since there was no further punishment, which he reserved the right to impose. Not to mention, the NFL spokes person flat out said the mic rumors about the pats where not true, and there was no evidence to support that accusation. Along with the trillion other bs accusations being tossed at the pats.

Don't give me the high horse bs. Does anyone remember the last win of the niners sb run being tainted? They got caught cheating the salary cap by the nfl. Same thing goes for the Broncos when they won there two superbowl's. Mike Shanahan considered a cheat these days? No one cares. Fact is this was a minor incident compared to something like cheating a salary cap to have more players then you are allowed. They taped some signs, got busted, and never used the tape. They payed the piper and no further offenses where found after a in depth investigation dating back to 2001 by the comish.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2007, 10:53:48 AM »

I agree with this to a point... I agree that Emmitt was the reason that the Cowboys kicked so much ass in the early 90s.

I think Aikman was good... really good, but not great. I don't think giving him a raise and denying Emmitt one was a good move by Jerry Jones back then either.

Pains me to say this, but I think Aikman was a great QB.  He threw a beautiful pass.  Smart.  Tough.  He also benefited from an outstanding supporting cast. 

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2007, 11:05:20 AM »

It's important to note that McNabb didn't come out and make this comment on his own.

During the course of an interview, he was asked a question, so he answered it.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2007, 11:36:16 AM »
It's important to note that McNabb didn't come out and make this comment on his own.

Doesn't matter to me.  It was still a dumb comment.  He has to be smarter.  If he's going to make a comment like that, it's better to do so after winning the Super Bowl, not in the middle of a losing streak when he's playing like crap. 

body88

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2007, 11:56:01 AM »

Why should it be noted? According to you everything is black or white, circumstance should never be taken into consideration.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2007, 03:18:53 PM »

Context, my friends, context.

I wasn't even aware that was why the story had been made until my White neighbor mentioned it to me.  He didn't feel McNabb was set up, but as an Eagle fan, he felt it was spun completely wrong by the national media.

I've already made my argument that he personally is criticized more than the average NFL QB, not because he's Black and not because he's struggling right now, but because he plays in Philadelphia, the toughest sports town in the entire country.

OneBigMan

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2007, 05:23:56 PM »
McNabb looks like he is playing the race card in a very misguided way because he should have been talking like this when Rush Limbaugh took a sneaky shot at him on ESPN for being a black QB that fills whatever quota that he said exists from his ultra conservatively strict beliefs about the black quarterback.

McNabb should consider the type of cheap shot criticism that Randall Cunningham had to swallow from the media in the late 80s for running so affectively before he opens his mouth about race being the deliberate reason why he's under the media microscope for being a quarterback in a slump.

Nobody blamed Warren Moon exclusively for being responsible for the 35-3 lead that the Oilers blew to the Bills in the Wild Card Playoffs in the early 90's. They didn't hold that against him for the rest of his career as a failure based on being a high profile black quarterback. 

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2007, 05:29:13 PM »
Dude, i love tom brady, i really do... but manning can pick apart a defense in ways that brady could never dream of, and with more of the cheating scandal coming to light, we will REALLY see how good brady is.  This cheating scandal is only just STARTING, its not over by a long shot.

Manning will never be as good because he's not as accurate, he's almost completely immobile and he makes more mistakes under pressure.

That's in addition to the fact that he only changed his way of playing after being forced to by years of losing big games. He's been a selfish player for most of his career.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2007, 05:31:15 PM »
McNabb looks like he is playing the race card in a very misguided way because he should have been talking like this when Rush Limbaugh took a sneaky shot at him on ESPN for being a black QB that fills whatever quota that he said exists from his ultra conservatively strict beliefs about the black quarterback.

No one seems to remember or give Limbaugh credit for saying the truth years ago. The Eagles got rid of the wrong QB in the offseason.

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2007, 10:44:17 PM »
I  agree with McNabb.

Rex Grossman get's blasted by the fans and media just cause he's black.

And let's not forget Eli Manning. Poor guy is crapped on just because he isn't white.

Why is everybody so racist?  ::)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2007, 08:41:39 AM »
Why is everybody so racist?  ::)

Because Jena, LA is located in the USA.

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2007, 01:23:06 PM »
Because Jena, LA is located in the USA.

How do six dudes that beat the sh*t out of one person become the victims?