Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 425117 times)

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Every brother ain't a brother.
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #1500 on: November 20, 2020, 07:01:39 PM »
Your house looks newer and better (at least the basement does) than mine but my taxes are higher.  You have a pool too and I don't.

My assessment is under actual value so if my house was assessed at actual I'd be paying even higher.

I'll bet my school taxes are higher or the county I'm in (Mercer) is higher taxes than OC.

We have high state tax and high sales tax and now even the gas tax is high after the Fatman approved it.

Pennsylvania has lower taxes depending on the county.

The Fatman...

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1501 on: November 20, 2020, 08:09:47 PM »
My house is around 18 years old. It still seems new to me. I came from modest means so it seems like a dream house to me. My pool that I spend a lot of time at in the summer. It's a split between the ocean and the pool. I own a lot of the land past the fence.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1502 on: November 20, 2020, 08:14:30 PM »
Your house looks newer and better (at least the basement does) than mine but my taxes are higher.  You have a pool too and I don't.

My assessment is under actual value so if my house was assessed at actual I'd be paying even higher.

I'll bet my school taxes are higher or the county I'm in (Mercer) is higher taxes than OC.

We have high state tax and high sales tax and now even the gas tax is high after the Fatman approved it.

Pennsylvania has lower taxes depending on the county.

The Fatman...

I appealed my assessment and won. It's a bit more complicated than most realize. Most comps are not accepted.  It helps that I have a sister in law in real estate in southern California that walked me through it. Most people on my block got denied when they appealed.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1503 on: November 21, 2020, 04:12:53 AM »
Your pool looks really nice.

Our town was re-assessed a number of years ago.

I got mine knocked down too by appealing it at the time.

I'll bet different counties have different tax rates in NJ like some other states do.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1504 on: November 21, 2020, 04:42:05 AM »
Your pool looks really nice.

Our town was re-assessed a number of years ago.

I got mine knocked down too by appealing it at the time.

I'll bet different counties have different tax rates in NJ like some other states do.

True, about the tax rates. What also effects taxes is the value of the house according to location in NJ.  The same exact house in Bergen county could be worth three times the price of the same house in Ocean county where I live. Tiny houses in East Rutherford NJ go for close to a million and over a million because it's such a short hop to NYC.  Small condos in Hoboken are worth more than my 3K square foot house.   

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1505 on: November 21, 2020, 04:55:42 AM »
True, about the tax rates. What also effects taxes is the value of the house according to location in NJ.  The same exact house in Bergen county could be worth three times the price of the same house in Ocean county where I live. Tiny houses in East Rutherford NJ go for close to a million because it's such a short hop to NYC.  Small condos in Hoboken are worth more than my 3K square foot house.   

Yes, you are right.  Close to the city in North Jersey it's crazy, and often it's so congested.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1506 on: November 22, 2020, 11:41:18 AM »
Leg day:

Leg press 2 x 12 four plates a side and as deep as I could slowly go. I couldn't go any deeper if I had no weight on the machine.
Squat machine 2 x 10 two plates a side. Ass to absolute grass. Super slow negative
Dumbbell squats 1 x 12 80lbs dumbbell in each hand. Upright back and ass to maximum depth. Zane called these dumbbell hack squats
Leg extension 2 x 20
Seated leg curl 2 x 15

Single dumbbell side bend 1 x 15 90lbs
Hanging straight leg raise  2 x 22
Hip ups off the ground 1 x 30 (On back pushing the hips to the ceiling while the legs are raised.

Standing calf 2 x 15
Seated calf 2 x 15 (I have the smallest calves on the planet)

Neck work 1 set per side ( I use a an old fashion weight neck helmet. Really a motorcycle helmet with a dumbbell bar attached. Remember the old Ironman ad for it?

There has to be an easier hobby. I'm sure Iron nat can attest to this. 95% plus of guys our age don't exercise or if they do they work out like pussies.  They look so old too or should I say they look their age? Steroids age you just judging by how users look. If you train hard naturally and do cardio getting a good night's sleep you really can find the fountain of youth. One of the best forms of cardio is fast walking. It doesn't exhaust you and makes you feel great. It gives almost all of the health benefits of cardio and you're just walking fast.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1507 on: November 23, 2020, 08:49:12 PM »
I appealed my assessment and won. It's a bit more complicated than most realize. Most comps are not accepted.  It helps that I have a sister in law in real estate in southern California that walked me through it. Most people on my block got denied when they appealed.

I got lucky several years ago when after one of the many remodeling upgrades I've had done which required permits and those triggered the county assessors office to pay me a visit. When I answered the door, the assessor recognized me from the gym. He asked me a couple of questions about the remodel but didn't ask to come in to see what was done. Even though I added some square footage to the house and in doing so made it obvious that there was one more bedroom and bathroom than they had on the books, the remodel didn't increase my property tax assessment at all. This is one of those times when my gym membership paid me some unexpected benefits.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1508 on: November 24, 2020, 10:46:18 AM »
When they came to assess my house they came unannounced.  Thought it was a scam to get in my house.  I wouldn’t let him in.  I made some phone calls and it was legit.  They told me if I don’t let him in then they assess the max. I ran down the block to get him.  He looked in my basement to see if it was finished and he said he was done. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1509 on: November 24, 2020, 10:55:16 AM »
Trained delts and arms before work.  On my second set of military presses I felt a sharp pain in my good shoulder. Finished the workout but I’m beginning  to think that it would’ve been wise to tire the muscle out with volume, moderate weight and short rests between sets. 

To give an example I would use something like 5 sets of 10 reps. Trying to set a time record to get the 50 reps.  Then heavy weights couldn’t be used.  Even though the first set could be for 18 reps I would stop at ten reps to race through the 50 reps as in Five sets of ten. The old saying, make a light weight heavy. 

At work and the shoulder feels sore but not crazy pain so I think it’s a mild sprain. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1510 on: November 24, 2020, 11:13:24 AM »
When they came to assess my house they came unannounced.  Thought it was a scam to get in my house.  I wouldn’t let him in.  I made some phone calls and it was legit.  They told me if I don’t let him in then they assess the max. I ran down the block to get him.  He looked in my basement to see if it was finished and he said he was done.

In most cases, it is a good idea to let the county tax assessor in to your home.

This is what Layni S Rothbort, Real Estate Attorney in Millburn, NJ had to say about letting the tax assessor inside your home.

Yes. You absolutely do have the right to refuse the tax assessor entry. However, if you do so, the assessor will then be entitled to make certain assumptions about the value of your house by using information regarding the house in file with the building department as well as the values if neighboring houses to come up with a value for your house, all of which may not be as accurate picture of the value of your house as he would have if he were allowed to see it firsthand. In addition, you will not have a leg to stand on if you try to appeal the assessment; taxpayers who do not allow the assessor in almost always lose their appeals. So consider your course of action carefully.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #1511 on: November 25, 2020, 10:07:31 AM »
Good job, OT.  This thread and IronNat's are what keeps me think about training even when I can't train.  ;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1512 on: November 25, 2020, 11:05:42 AM »
Good job, OT.  This thread and IronNat's are what keeps me think about training even when I can't train.  ;D

Do what you can and forget the rest. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1513 on: November 25, 2020, 11:39:50 AM »
I had a planned cardio day but a close family member came down with covid. Had to run out and get a test. Took the wind out of my sails to train. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1514 on: November 26, 2020, 11:48:03 AM »
Can't believe a second family member tested positive. One is in his early 70's and the the other 30. Only the 30 year old have we been in recent contact.   Both are pretty sick but not to the point where they have to be in the hospital. I got tested yesterday. I feel fine.  Waiting for the results.

Today was cardio 8 sets of quarter miles reps. I never pushed hard thinking I don't want to be worn out in case I'm positive. Kept half of the rep intervals in the 7.5 MPH or 8:00 minute a mile range. Felt like I had a good workout but never pushed myself hard. I walked fast in between sets. After I hit the heavy bag. 

Wife is pissed the turkey came out dried out. I don't know if we got an old bird or if it was over cooked. She is a great cook but stuff like this happens. No family is coming over because of the positive tests. The kids are driving over and the wife is giving them a food bag to go.  Really stinks. Normally the house is packed.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1515 on: November 26, 2020, 12:02:17 PM »
I had a planned cardio day but a close family member came down with covid. Had to run out and get a test. Took the wind out of my sails to train.

I bet it did. May the rest of your family and you stay healthy and that your family member with covid gets well quickly. When do you get the results of you test back?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1516 on: November 26, 2020, 12:16:52 PM »
Can't believe a second family member tested positive. One is in his early 70's and the the other 30. Only the 30 year old have we been in recent contact.   Both are pretty sick but not to the point where they have to be in the hospital. I got tested yesterday. I feel fine.  Waiting for the results.

Today was cardio 8 sets of quarter miles reps. I never pushed hard thinking I don't want to be worn out in case I'm positive. Kept half of the rep intervals in the 7.5 MPH or 8:00 minute a mile range. Felt like I had a good workout but never pushed myself hard. I walked fast in between sets. After I hit the heavy bag. 

Wife is pissed the turkey came out dried out. I don't know if we got an old bird or if it was over cooked. She is a great cook but stuff like this happens. No family is coming over because of the positive tests. The kids are driving over and the wife is giving them a food bag to go.  Really stinks. Normally the house is packed.

Let's hope we are all back to normal by next Thanksgiving. Christmas this year is likely to be limited to small gatherings as well.

There are six of us counting my great-granddaughter in the house which is the max you're supposed to have total and there's a  limit of two households according to the directive from our Governor. No doubt there are people who will ignore this and have lots of family together in one house. Oh, and the recommendation is for people stay outdoors, which wouldn't be very comfortable since the high today is expected to be 48 degrees. At least it's not raining.

When someone on Getbig poses the question of if anyone actually know someone who has Covid you can answer that you do and that Covid is real. -Can't believe there are still people who think it is all a hoax.

I haven't heard of anyone getting Covid in my circle of friends and family, which is great. My friends who have underlying conditions, mainly compromised immune systems have become absolute hermits in order to stay virus free.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1517 on: November 26, 2020, 04:59:20 PM »
I bet it did. May the rest of your family and you stay healthy and that your family member with covid gets well quickly. When do you get the results of you test back?

Not sure. I think the lab was closed for Thanksgiving. Took the test the day before. My daughter said the results go to the doctor first and if he releases it then I can see it online. I assume he calls first if it's positive. Since my daughter is a doctor she said she will go into the system every day to check.

Thanks Giving was really sad. Just me and the wife. The kids did the zoom thing with all of us. A little hard to hear but it was the best we could do.  My one daughter's birthday is tomorrow so we will be doing the zoom thing again tomorrow. She came over today briefly and we were all wearing masks. She said she wants the tests results before staying over longer and she stayed briefly.   

Saw my son in Alaska on the zoom call. He was busy making a Thanks Giving dinner for his Army buddies. He heard they were going out on the town doing the drinking thing. He told them to come over his apartment and they could have Thanks giving there. Proud he is looking out for these young guys in the military. Having been that young laugh out loud I know the trouble a bunch of young guys with money in their wallet can get into in a bar. One thing I learned about the military are the guys are tight. My son is now a senior guy in the military at the young age of 22.  Glad he has the maturity to keep the privates under him out of trouble.  He made a turkey, macaroni and cheese. Typical guy in the military. His apartment has only a bed and a couch.  I bet a bunch of guys will be sleeping on the floor. He said an Army guy can fall asleep anywhere whether it's mud, rain or a ditch. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1518 on: November 28, 2020, 10:30:32 AM »
The two family members with covid are getting better. It seems like they had a bad chest cold. Both were miserable but never so bad as needing hospitalization. The wife and I got our results late yesterday. Both negative.

Really dogged a workout today. I only did four sets of 3 reps in the power clean and push press. On my last one my damn good shoulder gave me grief. Instead of soldiering on I called the rest of the workout off. Am I lazy or finally thinking with my head?  I will regroup and press on next week. Going to walk with the wife by a hidden gem boardwalk near my house that borders a river that meets the bay.  A beautiful area that isn't know to many people that live in the area. The small board walk is about a mile each direction.   

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1519 on: November 29, 2020, 05:20:29 PM »
Good rich,,hope all stays well .keep plugging along as usual.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1520 on: November 30, 2020, 10:39:55 AM »
Good rich,,hope all stays well .keep plugging along as usual.

Thanks

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1521 on: November 30, 2020, 10:54:35 AM »
Trained back and chest before work.  Great workout.  I always finish chest with push-ups. Great way to end the chest workout.  Added wheel roll out for abs again.  I dropped them thinking they were aggravating my shoulder but I felt nothing.  Another change was my flat dumbbell benches.  Angled my wrists to a position that didn’t bother the shoulder and kept the elbows in toward the body. I slowed the reps down using a  lighter weight.  Just watched a video by Yates where he said it’s not the weight used but how you do the exercise.   

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1522 on: November 30, 2020, 02:22:34 PM »
The two family members with covid are getting better. It seems like they had a bad chest cold. Both were miserable but never so bad as needing hospitalization. The wife and I got our results late yesterday. Both negative.

Really dogged a workout today. I only did four sets of 3 reps in the power clean and push press. On my last one my damn good shoulder gave me grief. Instead of soldiering on I called the rest of the workout off. Am I lazy or finally thinking with my head?  I will regroup and press on next week. Going to walk with the wife by a hidden gem boardwalk near my house that borders a river that meets the bay.  A beautiful area that isn't know to many people that live in the area. The small board walk is about a mile each direction.

It is good to read that you and your wife are negative. Glad you family members are getting better too.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1523 on: December 01, 2020, 11:43:19 AM »
Did cardio today 8 x quarter miles repeats. . Got into the seven minute mile something pace toward the end. At end I hit the bag for a couple of three minute rounds.   Sitting  at work exhausted.  My abs are sore. From the ab wheel or running?  Whenever I run after taking a break from it my abs get sore.   

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1524 on: December 02, 2020, 03:00:09 PM »
Leg day:

Leg press 2 x 12
Squat machine 2 x 10
Dumbbell squat 1 x 12
Stiff dead 1 x 6
leg extension 2 x 20
Seated leg curl 2 x 15

Single dumbbell ab side bend 1 x 15
Hanging straight leg raise 2 x 22
Hip ups lying on back 1 x 26

Standing calf raise 2 x 15
Seated calf raise 2 x 15
tibalis work 1 x 20

neck work four sides.

Said it before. I'm really liking the squat machine. My thighs and butt are sore as hell after I use this and I rarely get muscle soreness from lifting. Joint and tendon pain, a big yes but rarely muscle soreness. The squat machine for me hits the thighs perfect. Maybe my chicken legs will grow.  ;D