Author Topic: Guns - Best one for home protection  (Read 39503 times)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Re: Guns - Best one for home protection
« Reply #275 on: October 11, 2017, 07:44:11 PM »
Revolvers are simple tools, but they are not unfailing.  They can malfunctions just like any other firearm.  If beakdoktor thinks revolvers can't malfunction, he is mistaken.  I've had both Ruger and S&W revolvers malfunction. 

I've shot rifles, shot guns and handguns.

I've always liked handguns, but a lot of people are saying that a shotgun is better for home protection.

I guess Ill cross that bridge when I purchase a firearm.
X

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #276 on: October 11, 2017, 07:48:55 PM »
best to have several different guns hidden through out the house...... you never know where you're going to be when someone comes through the door.

also its of benefit to have diffefent types of knives,  pepper sprays and/or batons stashed around as well. they are cheap and easy to obtain and could give you an added advantage.

revolvers dont malfunction....ever.  but have limited firing capacity.

semi autos offer greater firing capacity and are easier to reload but can malfunction , if gun is jerked during the firing cycle stove pipes double feed, coil springs break etc... and those kinds of things happen under stress: being in a shootout is much different than shooting at the range...
shltguns are also a good option. ability to shoot and kill through drywall, doors. powerfull advantage and relatively inexpensive option for a long gun of course gun nuts love their AR's.....

you also have to consider your backstop especially if you have children in the home. limited penetration expanding rounds are available but you shouldnt pull the triger unless you know exactly what your shooting at anyway so why use the most lethal round. limited penetration rounds are questionable. dont have to worry as muc about your backstop but it could allow the target to survive. if you know what you're shooting at and justified in doing so then you want to shoot kill and end it quickly.

best advice is to reinforce your doors and windows use larger screws in the frames and hinges, thicker glass etc.own a large dog too... it wont stop someone but it will slow them down long enough to muster and arm your family.

yep thats exactly what hes saying and thats why hes wrong. if hes had not one but two revolvers malfunction then he doesnt know what hes doing. he either doesnt know how to take care of it, shoot it pr load it. of course nothing is infallible but it is highly unusual for revolvers to malfunction. if yors malfunction repeatedly, lord only knows how the fuck youre handling them.......so SF please take your advice from the guy whose guns always malfunction. you two make a good team.

I thought you said revolvers don't malfunction.  Ever.  Now, you say they do?  Well, which is it? 

Also, where did I say my weapons malfunction repeatedly, or always?  Why are you making shit up?   ???

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #277 on: October 11, 2017, 07:51:25 PM »

I've always liked handguns, but a lot of people are saying that a shotgun is better for home protection.

I don't really think there is one answer. For example. I have trained on a number of weapons. For my house, I have a Beretta 9000 affixed behind my night stand. I have a M&P 40 under the coffee table. I have zero expectation of using them for home defense as the stats just don't make it very probable but in the event it happens, I am confident with either I can likely come out on top. My wife, not so hot on shooting skills. She has a single shot 12 gauge with buckshot under her side of the bed. if she hits fine.. if she misses fine, that kind of sound.. the average burglar will be crapping their pants to get out of the house. 

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #278 on: October 11, 2017, 07:55:02 PM »

Get whatever makes you happy, you can afford, and you can take to a range and practice with.  A pistol or revolver is a great way to start.  

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #279 on: October 11, 2017, 07:56:55 PM »
I don't really think there is one answer. For example. I have trained on a number of weapons. For my house, I have a Beretta 9000 affixed behind my night stand. I have a M&P 40 under the coffee table. I have zero expectation of using them for home defense as the stats just don't make it very probable but in the event it happens, I am confident with either I can likely come out on top. My wife, not so hot on shooting skills. She has a single shot 12 gauge with buckshot under her side of the bed. if she hits fine.. if she misses fine, that kind of sound.. the average burglar will be crapping their pants to get out of the house.  

Yeah, it seems like its really coming down to personal comfort, as I will probably get 100 different answers. Opinions on guns are like opinions on weightlifting: everyone has an opinion on how to get 18" guns (that was a good pun).  :D :D  ;D ;D
X

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #280 on: October 11, 2017, 07:58:51 PM »
Yeah, it seems like its really coming down to personal comfort, as I will probably get 100 different answers. Opinions on guns are like opinions on weightlifting: everyone has an opinion on how to get 18" guns (that was a good pun).  :D :D >:( >:(

You're exactly right.  Everyone will have a different opinion.  Get something you're comfortable with, can afford, and can practice with.  Springfield, Glock, and M&P all make great firearms. 

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #281 on: October 11, 2017, 07:59:20 PM »
Get whatever makes you happy, you can afford, and you can take to a range and practice with.  A pistol or revolver is a great way to start.  

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/10-home-defense-handguns/

I just found this article.

They listed this as #1

Taurus Raging Judge Magnum Revolver

X

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #282 on: October 11, 2017, 08:00:11 PM »
I thought you said revolvers don't malfunction.  Ever.  Now, you say they do?  Well, which is it? 

Also, where did I say my weapons malfunction repeatedly, or always?  Why are you making shit up?   ???

I bought a 22 cal western style revolver when I was in my early 20's. Cheap gun, might have bought it from Walmart. Thing was more unreliable than a $400 1990 Hyundai. I've fired 1000's of rounds through my berretta Centurion and never had a jam. I've also had to return a 92FS Beretta because it jammed almost every time.

My point is.. I have no point  :)     

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #283 on: October 11, 2017, 08:06:29 PM »

They listed this as #1

My opinion of the Raging Judge?  It should be #10 on that list.  Taurus is notorious for building unreliable firearms. 

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #284 on: October 11, 2017, 08:08:09 PM »
My opinion of the Raging Judge?  It should be #10 on that list.  Taurus is notorious for building unreliable firearms. 

It looks badass though!!  ;D ;D But, of course, I want efficiency and reliability.
X

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #285 on: October 11, 2017, 08:10:14 PM »

They listed this as #1

IMO that Taurus raging judge is a poor option. Taurus is not terrible but not a great reputation.

Also the 454 casull is a huge load more suited for bears. And it also takes the 410 shotgun shell which is underpowered for home defense.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #286 on: October 11, 2017, 08:12:39 PM »

Owned a judge at one time. Sold it... not a fan

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #287 on: October 11, 2017, 08:13:47 PM »
How about this?  ;D ;D ;D ;D

X

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #288 on: October 11, 2017, 08:16:20 PM »

SUre, just tell me where you live so I don't move in next to you  ;D

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #289 on: October 11, 2017, 08:17:50 PM »

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #290 on: October 11, 2017, 08:18:10 PM »
SUre, just tell me where you live so I don't move in next to you  ;D

Would be interesting to fire that!
X

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #291 on: October 11, 2017, 08:18:24 PM »

Best reserved for someone in the military

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #292 on: October 11, 2017, 08:18:47 PM »
:D

I can run around my place pretending to be the Liberal Rambo!
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #293 on: October 11, 2017, 08:20:11 PM »
Best reserved for someone in the military

This badass just needs a knife.

X

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #294 on: October 11, 2017, 08:22:50 PM »
I can run around my place pretending to be the Liberal Rambo!

It might be a little difficult to stash that in the nightstand.   ;D

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #295 on: October 11, 2017, 08:23:38 PM »
This badass just needs a knife.

Holy crap i've seen that picture 1000 times and never have noticed a knife.  :o

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #296 on: October 11, 2017, 08:26:37 PM »
Holy crap i've seen that picture 1000 times and never have noticed a knife.  :o

You're thinking of this pic.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #297 on: October 11, 2017, 08:27:10 PM »
It might be a little difficult to stash that in the nightstand.   ;D

Ha lol. Imagine greeting an intruder with that!
X

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #298 on: October 11, 2017, 08:27:33 PM »
You need a Mk18 Mod 0

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #299 on: October 11, 2017, 08:28:51 PM »
You're thinking of this pic.

You're right. You win the internet today.