Author Topic: Fresh Start at the Gym....Once Again  (Read 44567 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: Fresh Start at the Gym....Once Again
« Reply #150 on: September 15, 2020, 10:03:25 PM »
My workout went well. I upped the resistance from last week and used a few different pieces of equipment, but kept the basics which were, one standing legged curls, (for some reason, this exercise is a bit difficult for me in terms of the amount of weight I can handle), seated leg curls and reverse hack squats. For calves, I did one legged seated curls on a machine, leg press curls and regular seated curls. The range on hams was between 10 and 4 reps and 3 to 4 sets. On calves the range was 15 to 8 and 4 sets each exercise.

I wasn't in the mood for cardio today. Instead I did hip adductions and hip abductions 4 sets of 10-12 reps.

Watched the clock which is to say none of the rests between sets was longer than 30 seconds.

It is probably a fluke, but my quads were an inch bigger when I measured them cold yesterday. 23.5" nothing to write home about but better than 22" which is the smallest they've been in the last year or so. My weight is up. This is not surprising since that's what usually happens when I consistently work out. Tonight, I weighed 180 lbs. I ate one too many breaded halibut pieces and too much coleslaw. I feel stuffed so no desert tonight.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #151 on: September 16, 2020, 04:04:02 AM »
Done with a full range of motion no one can handle a lot of weight in the standing leg bicep curl. The machine at my gym might have 12 plates and I've never seen anyone use more than four. The ones using four are usually the guys doing partials. I wonder why they have so many plates on the machine. I guess for 300lbs guys steroided to the gills.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #152 on: September 16, 2020, 05:26:44 PM »
Good job on the workouts, Prime.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #153 on: September 17, 2020, 12:52:32 PM »
Done with a full range of motion no one can handle a lot of weight in the standing leg bicep curl. The machine at my gym might have 12 plates and I've never seen anyone use more than four. The ones using four are usually the guys doing partials. I wonder why they have so many plates on the machine. I guess for 300lbs guys steroided to the gills.

Thank you for making me feel better about my ability to do this exercise. I  do use a full range of motion, actually bringing my foot all the way to my butt. The machine I use is very similar to the one below. The only difference is that the top portion pivots as well.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #154 on: September 19, 2020, 02:02:24 PM »
Worked pecs yesterday. I will work quads today in about a half hour if I leave for the gym right now.

Today was one of those days when I didn't feel like going to the gym, but went anyway. Had a good workout. I stuck close to my normal routine. The main variance was doing abductions and adductions, which I did because the seated calf raise was in use by this guy that was taking 5 minute breaks between sets. I dislike gym equipment hogs. They are so inconsiderate. Working in with someone is not a great option these days.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #155 on: September 20, 2020, 07:38:59 PM »
I've never been religious. However, my wife was Catholic and I adopted some of what she followed, like fish on Friday and Sunday being a day of rest. So, no gym today. I actually thought about breaking this rule, because I have a big day tomorrow and I definitely don't want to get behind on my routine so soon in the revival. I may be working out between 8:00 and 10:00 p.m., but I am determined to get it done.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #156 on: September 21, 2020, 04:53:04 AM »
I've never been religious. However, my wife was Catholic and I adopted some of what she followed, like fish on Friday and Sunday being a day of rest. So, no gym today. I actually thought about breaking this rule, because I have a big day tomorrow and I definitely don't want to get behind on my routine so soon in the revival. I may be working out between 8:00 and 10:00 p.m., but I am determined to get it done.

Consistency, Prime!  Consistency!

How far do you go to your gym?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #157 on: September 22, 2020, 09:55:17 PM »
Consistency, Prime!  Consistency!

How far do you go to your gym?

I've made it a point not to notice how far it is to my preferred gym because I don't want to find out anything discouraging. I think it is between 10 and 12 miles each way.

Consistency, consistency. More easily said than done. On Monday I had a really full day with meetings both business and personal. By the time I got home after driving all day, I just wanted to veg out and I did.

Last Saturday, I tried calling my oldest longtime friend and the call went immediately to an answering service. I met him shortly after moving out of my parent's house when I was eighteen. We were roommates off and on for several years until I married my wife. We have remained friends ever since even though we lived more than a 1,000 miles away from each other and our lives were nothing alike. We were friends for almost 60 years.

Not being able to reach Gary last Saturday, I tried again today with the same disappointing results. I think I knew something was wrong on Saturday when we didn't connect. I checked his Facebook page early this morning and sadly found out that he had passed on August 20th. I am a tough character, but let me say this has been almost as hard as losing my wife was.

We had planned to go to Maui last fall to visit a mutual female friend who is now a widow. I even asked Go-4-It for cruise ship advice. I was pumped about taking this excursion. When it came right down to the wire, he begged off because he wasn't feeling great. So we postponed the trip. I decided I would visit him this past summer and we could spend some time in Palm Springs, which was a place he loved to vacation and it is driving distance from L.A. where he lived.

Gary was four years older than me. But honestly, at our age a 4 year difference in age is meaningless. Needless to say, I am blown away by this news. My kids knew him like he was their uncle because he was like part of the family. They have been so supportive. Because of the pandemic, a memorial service is planned for sometime next summer in his home town in Indiana. Hopefully, travel will be safe by then.

Long story short, I didn't go to the gym today. Piss on it!

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #158 on: September 23, 2020, 03:42:02 AM »
I'm very sorry to hear of your close friend's passing.  That is tough to take.  Somehow you have to rationalize it for your own mental health.

Any day one of us could get hit by a truck or a similar unexpected accident.  Your friend had a longer life than the statistics.

We can't dwell on our own fate or the fate of others.  Not easy to do.

Bill Clinton was asked how he handled all the stress he was under during his Presidency and he said he learned to compartmentalize things.  It's a useful method and pretty much comes down to putting unpleasant or stressful things in boxes and closing the box until it becomes necessary to open the box.  Until then don't think about it.

As far as distance to your gym (compartmentalizing) I used to also drive 12 miles or so one way to my gym back in the 80s.  The time spent driving can be used for mental preparation or listening to music, podcasts, etc.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #159 on: September 23, 2020, 12:33:51 PM »
Prime  sorry to hear about the passing of your friend. May God hold him in the palm of his hand till you meet again.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #160 on: September 23, 2020, 02:21:32 PM »
I'm very sorry to hear of your close friend's passing.  That is tough to take.  Somehow you have to rationalize it for your own mental health.

Any day one of us could get hit by a truck or a similar unexpected accident.  Your friend had a longer life than the statistics.

We can't dwell on our own fate or the fate of others.  Not easy to do.

Bill Clinton was asked how he handled all the stress he was under during his Presidency and he said he learned to compartmentalize things.  It's a useful method and pretty much comes down to putting unpleasant or stressful things in boxes and closing the box until it becomes necessary to open the box.  Until then don't think about it.

As far as distance to your gym (compartmentalizing) I used to also drive 12 miles or so one way to my gym back in the 80s.  The time spent driving can be used for mental preparation or listening to music, podcasts, etc.

Your advice is right on. I am a master at compartmentalizing my emotions. Some people think doing this makes one unemotional.

Because I am retired, time is not an issue and I like driving. I do try to avoid commuter times and heavy traffic hours whenever possible.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #161 on: September 23, 2020, 02:22:16 PM »
Prime  sorry to hear about the passing of your friend. May God hold him in the palm of his hand till you meet again.

Thank you for the kind words.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #162 on: September 24, 2020, 12:01:33 AM »
So sorry to hear.  Under the best of times losing your friend would be horrible but during a year like this it's magnified.  I hope you can find peace and comfort in the the days ahead.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #163 on: September 27, 2020, 02:27:23 PM »
When I last did bench presses and other pec related exercises on Friday the 28th, after about 4 reps, my right arm felt like it could lift the weight...not that I was lifting heavy. Turns out I wrenched my shoulder when I fell a couple of days before. Even today, I am having trouble lifting that arm specially sideways. I can't get it perpendicular to my body without feeling discomfort. For this reason, I exercised at home last week. Hopefully, I'll be back at it at the gym come tomorrow. I'll probably have to 'baby' my right shoulder for awhile. Sucks!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #164 on: September 27, 2020, 07:51:31 PM »
When I last did bench presses and other pec related exercises on Friday the 28th, after about 4 reps, my right arm felt like it could lift the weight...not that I was lifting heavy. Turns out I wrenched my shoulder when I fell a couple of days before. Even today, I am having trouble lifting that arm specially sideways. I can't get it perpendicular to my body without feeling discomfort. For this reason, I exercised at home last week. Hopefully, I'll be back at it at the gym come tomorrow. I'll probably have to 'baby' my right shoulder for awhile. Sucks!

If it continues see an orthopedic surgeon and get an MRI. You might have torn a rotator cuff. I have a partially torn one and it's giving me aggravation for 10 months already.  I can't bench any serious weight and after  chest or shoulder workout it throbs for days. What I have learned too is that you can strain a shoulder just like twisting your ankle too.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #165 on: October 01, 2020, 09:28:14 AM »
Thanks for the solid advice. Just checked and  yup, it is still sore. The possibility of it being a sprain is great since I think it is the result of my falling a little while back. I can almost  raise my elbow parallel  to .my shoulder today before feeling any pain. This seems like an improvement.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #166 on: October 01, 2020, 03:58:33 PM »
Time heals all wounds.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #167 on: October 06, 2020, 01:23:03 PM »
Still not getting to the gym.

I'm shopping for a new bathroom vanity that I can install myself. On the 19th of this month, a demolition crew is ripping out  the carpet and underlayment in three bedrooms part of the master bath, (which is wear sink is) and the master walk in closet. Once this is complete they'll install hardwood floors to match the rest of the house replace the baseboards and casings around the doors. I may go to a motel for a week or so because the only place for me to sleep is on the living room couch.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #168 on: October 11, 2020, 05:53:00 PM »
Still not getting to the gym.

I'm shopping for a new bathroom vanity that I can install myself. On the 19th of this month, a demolition crew is ripping out  the carpet and underlayment in three bedrooms part of the master bath, (which is wear sink is) and the master walk in closet. Once this is complete they'll install hardwood floors to match the rest of the house replace the baseboards and casings around the doors. I may go to a motel for a week or so because the only place for me to sleep is on the living room couch.

Sounds like quite the project, sir. 

I cannot sleep in a bed.  The floor is best for me.  And when he can make it up the stairs, our Lab likes the floor too.  Oddly enough if there is cheddar cheese involved, the pooch can make it upstairs even faster than me. Not saying much, but it's still good to see a dear friend like him eager for something.  Cheese!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #169 on: October 11, 2020, 06:02:59 PM »

I cannot sleep in a bed.  The floor is best for me.  And when he can make it up the stairs, our Lab likes the floor too.  Oddly enough if there is cheddar cheese involved, the pooch can make it upstairs even faster than me. Not saying much, but it's still good to see a dear friend like him eager for something.  Cheese!

Puppies take after their owners. Lucy, my little old Rat Terrier sleeps next to my bed on a giant, fluffy dog bed with a blanket for when it gets cold.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re:New equipment for exercising at home
« Reply #170 on: December 11, 2020, 02:46:43 PM »
The X3-Elite setup arrived today. It looks really sturdy the bands look as if they'll take a lot of use. The bar is really solid and heavy. Now all I have to do is use it. I expect to be in tip top condition withing the next 3 months....yeah sure.  ;)

Most gyms are still closed due to Covid-19 so there will not be a fresh start at the gym for awhile. All the major franchised gyms are closed. Several small private gyms are closed and a few remain open in violation of governor Brown's mandate. One of the gyms I go to is open. I suspect they can get around the mandate because there is a physical therapy business attached which uses the gym for therapeutic purposes. Unfortunately, this is one of the gyms I tried going to since Covid-19 and decided it wasn't a good idea for me because no one was wearing a mask and social distancing was sketchy at best. Although the gym is quite large, there is so much equipment that there isn't room to space it farther apart. The cardio equipment is also close together but every other treadmill, stair stepper and stationary bikes, etc. is shut off with a sign saying do not use.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re:New equipment for exercising at home
« Reply #171 on: December 11, 2020, 04:08:36 PM »
The X3-Elite setup arrived today. It looks really sturdy the bands look as if they'll take a lot of use. The bar is really solid and heavy. Now all I have to do is use it. I expect to be in tip top condition withing the next 3 months....yeah sure.  ;)

Most gyms are still closed due to Covid-19 so there will not be a fresh start at the gym for awhile. All the major franchised gyms are closed. Several small private gyms are closed and a few remain open in violation of governor Brown's mandate. One of the gyms I go to is open. I suspect they can get around the mandate because there is a physical therapy business attached which uses the gym for therapeutic purposes. Unfortunately, this is one of the gyms I tried going to since Covid-19 and decided it wasn't a good idea for me because no one was wearing a mask and social distancing was sketchy at best. Although the gym is quite large, there is so much equipment that there isn't room to space it farther apart. The cardio equipment is also close together but every other treadmill, stair stepper and stationary bikes, etc. is shut off with a sign saying do not use.

Hope it works great. I have a decent home gym but if I ever go the minimalist route I would go body weight and use this contraption. You can strap it to a tree for pull ups, dips and few other exercises. I would fill the rest of the void with body weight stuff. Another option is TRX straps. 

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #172 on: December 11, 2020, 09:39:04 PM »

Ever tried peanut butter?   ;D  Hope you are well.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #173 on: December 15, 2020, 01:51:41 PM »
I used the X-3 Elite bands for the first time yesterday. It is too soon to know whether it was a good purchase or a waste of money. It is definitely different than any method I've used up until now. I felt kind of pumped this morning. It is probably an illusion or just because I've been exercising without any resistance for so long now. I'll do part II of the routine today. One thing I like is that is took very little time to complete the routine....about 15 to 20 minutes. It is only supposed to take 10 minutes. Maybe it took longer because of it being something new. I am using the lightest band which has a range of 50 to 100 lbs. or 100 to 200 lbs. if the band is doubled over.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #174 on: December 15, 2020, 02:17:09 PM »
Sounds like a quality product.

I have no doubt you will benefit from using it.

The key, of course, is consistency.