Author Topic: Was Vince Basile The Steve Reeves Of The '70s?  (Read 10272 times)

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
Re: Was Vince Basile The Steve Reeves Of The '70s?
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2006, 08:31:17 AM »
Yep. The clothes can not account for all that weight, and some of the competitors weight in at over 270+. John Balik don't seem like a liar that would have fixed the weight.
the were only a couple of guys who weighed over that one was well over 6 feet tall and the other one was Tom Prince and you know what happened to him after the weighin and even he would have been 260 or below without the 12 pounds of clothes.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2006, 08:32:40 AM »
Yep. The clothes can not account for all that weight, and some of the competitors weight in at over 270+. John Balik don't seem like a liar that would have fixed the weight in order to make the competitors heavier. If so, they must have a real time calibration device in the weight or some programming, if not, some competitors would in reality weight less than 180.

I heard their fannypacks get pretty full.
just push some weight!

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2006, 08:33:37 AM »
The 50 pound thing was because Arnold was 225 or so at his best in contest condition. I suppose you could add about 10 pounds for depletion. I have no real idea what the guys weighed in contest shape. I weighed about 200 pounds in that photo above and competed at about 190 and still wasn't cut in my thighs. I could do a strict bench press with 400 pounds then.
bullshit, Arnold was 235 and Ronnie at his very heaviest was 260 onstage, that's only 25 pounds and i'd take Arnolds body any day over Ronnie's.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2006, 08:34:19 AM »
the were only a couple of guys who weighed over that one was well over 6 feet tall and the other one was Tom Prince and you know what happened to him after the weighin and even he would have been 260 or below without the 12 pounds of clothes.

Yet still it's a strong counterargument against no competitor being over 260 pounds onstage.

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2006, 08:38:55 AM »
Yet still it's a strong counterargument against no competitor being over 260 pounds onstage.
i'll rephrase that, there are no competitors UNDER 6 FEET TALL over 260lbs.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2006, 08:39:23 AM »
How do you guys post two photos side by side like this one? I have never compared myself to Reeves but in the photo I don't look that bad standing next to him.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2006, 08:41:48 AM »
How do you guys post two photos side by side like this one? I have never compared myself to Reeves but in the photo I don't look that bad standing next to him.

He's used photoshop/similar program to make it (a simple task)

El_Spiko

• Getbig III
  • The freaky-geeky
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2006, 09:21:25 AM »
Markus. He's not 6 feet tall and easily weighs 260.
I min/max my physique

javico

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2006, 12:24:14 PM »
New photos

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2006, 03:43:04 PM »
New photos

Looks like George Eiferman when he was in his late ages.
A

HowDog

• Getbig II
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2006, 04:36:25 PM »

Looks like George Eiferman when he was in his late ages.

GEorge looked way better than that guy, all respect to Vince but he looks like shit and not even close to what he was in the past Oh Mr. Canda!  Two tabs of Dianbol (so he says) or not, he still looked good in 1970, but him and Reeves differ big time in the later years, i.e. Reeves was always in shape b/c he was a true bodybuilder.  My two cents. 

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2006, 05:01:39 PM »
It is easy to look like crap when you put on fat and don't train much. I never did like training that much. When I stopped teaching PE I found I put on weight and then it was not so easy to lose. In 1970 I was 210 pounds two weeks out and competed at 190 by just dieting. I didn't do any cardio. At the moment I weigh about 225 and the old lines have gone. I think when I tore a biceps doing a 510 pound deadlift without much warm up back in 1978 it killed a lot of motivation to do bodybuilding. My right biceps was never the same.

Somebody started this thread comparing what I used to look like to someone who is revered in bodybuilding. Truth be told, Steve Reeves didn't look so great in the standard poses but looked superb in other poses and especially with arms raised over head. Plus, he was one of the few who had big calves in the old days. When I started bodybuilding he wasn't who I aspired to be like. Years later I came to appreciate what he represented. Grimek beat Reeves easily in a contest in 1949 in the Mr USA. Today Grimek's physique isn't admired so much any more and I guess partly because Reeves seemed leaner.

I sure look over the hill in those photos but at least I am not under it!

HowDog

• Getbig II
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2006, 05:53:26 PM »
It is easy to look like crap when you put on fat and don't train much. I never did like training that much. When I stopped teaching PE I found I put on weight and then it was not so easy to lose. In 1970 I was 210 pounds two weeks out and competed at 190 by just dieting. I didn't do any cardio. At the moment I weigh about 225 and the old lines have gone. I think when I tore a biceps doing a 510 pound deadlift without much warm up back in 1978 it killed a lot of motivation to do bodybuilding. My right biceps was never the same.

Somebody started this thread comparing what I used to look like to someone who is revered in bodybuilding. Truth be told, Steve Reeves didn't look so great in the standard poses but looked superb in other poses and especially with arms raised over head. Plus, he was one of the few who had big calves in the old days. When I started bodybuilding he wasn't who I aspired to be like. Years later I came to appreciate what he represented. Grimek beat Reeves easily in a contest in 1949 in the Mr USA. Today Grimek's physique isn't admired so much any more and I guess partly because Reeves seemed leaner.

I sure look over the hill in those photos but at least I am not under it!

Wow what a response, I was not expecting that one.  I now feel bad critizing you.  Much respect Mr. Basile, much respect. I take back any criticism to you, my apologies.   

efirkey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2006, 06:18:12 PM »
If I look like that at around sixty years of age I will be very happy. 

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2006, 06:34:01 PM »
A few of photos taken recently.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2006, 06:43:05 PM »
A few of photos taken recently.
that's shane stratton mr universe...

what was his gym like vince?

dorkeroo

• Getbig IV
  • I need steroids for the brain.
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2006, 06:48:00 PM »

I'm sure you could pull a lot of quality birds with a physique like this.  This is around the type of build I want to have.

Love the "do" too. You look like a happy guy Vince.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2006, 06:49:35 PM »
That photo was taken in my gym some months ago when Shane visited. I asked him about his gym in Thailand and he said he had to sell it. He wouldn't elaborate about his business but he owned the gym Dennis James trained in. He said he suffered some injuries and now cannot train that heavy so has lost a lot of size. He still looked very impressive but I never saw Shane at his biggest.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2006, 06:52:39 PM »
I never had any trouble getting girlfriends. That is part of the reason I am single today! Even after knowing women for all these years I have no idea what they want! I look as good as those guys in Manpower that the women go nuts about. Not many women seemed to fancy us muscle guys in those days and nothing has changed much even today.

DOGGCRAPP

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2006, 06:53:24 PM »
Awesome physique Vince--very Zane like and very impressive. When you tore your biceps, was it on the arm you had the undergrip? Any surgery? Partial or full tear?

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2006, 07:06:56 PM »
I tore my right biceps and it was the undergrip that did it. I have had a sore biceps for decades and when throwing things I would get sore near the elbow. I used to be a discus and javelin thrower. I cannot lock out my arms and never could. So there might have been some sort of damage already in the biceps. The heavy deadlift was the straw that broke the camel's back. What happened was the biceps doing the supination tore. So I cannot arm wrestle with my right arm or do supination with very heavy weight. My biceps get sore easily when training arms. I still managed to place second in the two recent Australian Grip Championships against all comers. I won some events, too, and still hold the record for best pinch grip ever with 92.5 kg with my right hand on my pinch grip machine.

I don't recommend that anyone do deadlifts as I consider it a dangerous exercise with little benefits for a physique. There are better exercises for traps and spinal erectors.

I had surgery done by a microsurgeon but 18 months after the injury and there was nothing they could do. The scar from the operation is almost invisible. I tore the sheath that covers the biceps, too. Had the tendon come off the bone I could have had it repaired. If the muscle tears there is little anyone can do about it. When I presented at the hospital when it tore they put my arm in a sling and sent me home! That was devastating. I can get my arms bigger but it is still painful to train biceps. I think I now prefer triceps training but also have very tender elbows from years of javelin throwing.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2006, 10:04:32 PM »
I got a few compliments for my legs but that was about it. Having a good physique is hardly a handicap when it comes to women but I must admit that they are turned off by large bodybuilders. I was never repulsive to them. Larry Scott said that when women get that yuk look you know you are getting big!

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2006, 10:28:34 PM »
Most women don't know what to do with guys with big muscles. They usually have dads and brothers who were average so their idea of a man is not necessarily one with a great physique. Guys that are big and who look good just walking around do command respect and I have been with women who were impressed by guys with great legs walking down the street or at the beach. Almost every woman is turned off with photos of bodybuilders posing under lights and oiled up.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2006, 10:33:50 PM »
Here are 4 versions of the double biceps pose by Zane, Reeves, Wolf, and me.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2006, 10:53:22 PM »
Interesting Vince, I've not heard a lot of injury stories but wow, torn bicep from deadlifting.  I'd have never guessed.

I think I stick to exclusive overhand :)