Author Topic: Was Vince Basile The Steve Reeves Of The '70s?  (Read 10276 times)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
Re: Was Vince Basile The Steve Reeves Of The '70s?
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2006, 11:05:46 PM »
I did a 525 pound deadlift as a 198 pounder naturally way back in 1964 or so and broke the then UBC open record for the deadlift. That gained me a lot of respect from football players who called us mirror athletes and figleafers!

So 500 pounds wasn't that heavy for me. What happened was we received some new Olympic sets to stop the lads fighting over the bar on the bench press. Well, it was the cool season in Australia and I thought I would see if I could break the gym record. A guy called The Pope was urging me on and I would normally have not finished the lift. I was yanking it up and that is when my right biceps tore. I was using Dianabol then and perhaps that contributed to the injury. I was very strong at the time and benched 410 and curled 185 strictly. Deadlifts are dangerous. Why risk a muscle tear doing that exercise. Bench pressing is also bad for shoulders. You seldom see old men doing heavy benches.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2006, 11:19:10 PM »
I injured my chest/shoulder doing bench presses.  I don't really know what happened as I never sought medical help but basically I was very into bringing to the chest in every rep and one day it hurt a lot bringing it up.  Never been the same since.  Fortunately dumbells don't cause too much discomfort and I appear to be on track to be decently strong at pressing them.

As for deadlift.. I've been deadlifting heavy for a while now and I've never really had any major upper body stress.  To be honest your story makes me conscious of the risk but I've never really felt overt pressure in the upper body.   I believe that deadlifts are dangerous but I have to say that for me the perceived danger is the fact I'm as red as is humanly possible during the heavy ones and I feel like I'm going to explode!

I do use straps though and overhand grip.  I wouldn't really go for a max either since it wouldn't be all that impressive anyway.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2006, 11:20:50 PM »
As for Gyms in brisbane there are a couple of decent ones but I do not go to them.  Will be changing soon though.  Thats if fitness first don't take over every gym in this city by then

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2006, 11:58:47 PM »
We bodybuilders do a lot of foolish things in the gym. Demonstrating strength is one such foolish thing. There is no need ever to do anything less than 5 reps of a movement. Arthur Jones was right about that. We also do exercises that were handed down to us. Someone said you do lat pulldowns for back. Well, that exercise works the arms, shoulders, abs, chest and lower back, too. A great all rounder for the upper body. Naturally most bodybuilders never transcend what they pick up at the gym or read in magazines.

Why would anyone do a deadlift? The biceps are stretched and are in a very weak position. It is literally asking for trouble. Look at all the guys tearing biceps and chest muscles. All that high intensity stuff is dangerous. Most bodybuilding is dangerous. It took until about 5 years ago to realise that arm machines and benches should not have pads under the elbows. Why? Well, pressure on the elbows will damage the sheath that goes over the elbow joint. If you damage that area you will experience a lifetime of elbow pain. I still have to do heaps of pressdowns with a light weight to warm the elbows up. No one told us about that worry and most gym equipment companies have no idea about the dangerous pads they install under the elbows. It would be the same if someone put pads under the knees in leg curl machines.

Fitness First are a worry everywhere in Australia but I wonder if Aussies will keep going to them. At least their concept of a gym is light years ahead of any other chain that has opened up in Australia in the last 30 years.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2006, 12:15:17 AM »
Fitness first is hugely popular, I see people with their bags everywhere I go.  I've been to a couple but I quickly discovered that a gym full of used car salesmen, epic cardio equipment and a very average weights area for $700 a year is shit (could be more, no idea).

As I cannot benchpress I need decent sized dumbells and that in itself is an issue with most gyms.

I don't really think the biceps are in a weak area in a deadlift.  Put a big dumbell in someone's hand for long enough and its more likely they will complain about their traps and their grip before biceps.  I can easily deadlift and then go chin, curl afterwards and whilst there is some ability lost due to the deadlifts I don't think its that much. 

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2006, 12:23:32 AM »
If you do deadlifts for at least 5 reps you probably won't have any trouble with biceps tears. A guy in my gym was doing heavy holds with up to 700 pounds. He tore a biceps at work when he was trying to shift a billiard table with some huge Islander guy on the other end. Very sad to see that happen to anyone else. Doing anything near your limit for a single is asking for trouble. If you warm up and progress on a movement you should be okay.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2006, 12:55:04 AM »
I do definitely warm up.  I do prefer to do 3 rep sets though.  I don't like doing too many reps because I find the form suffers somewhat and then the lower back is brought too much into it.  But I generally don't hit heavy until the 4th set.

TheGoldenPrince

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2006, 01:35:10 AM »
Only "Golden Shower" would even think to make this comparison. Monster symmetry? Good upper body? He tends to get carried away, falls in love with certain white guys.  :-X
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=73618.50

I was being sarcastic you moronic little queer... ;)
Team Goodrum!

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2006, 02:22:49 AM »
Hey, Prince, no need to state the obvious!

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2006, 07:35:00 AM »
Vince, serious question- what kinds of steroids did you use back in the day?
The House that Ruth built

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2006, 07:43:24 AM »
Well, times have changed, as have the fashions. Lavender Trunks!    :o   

/cue Getbig's homo-bashing squad in 4, 3, 2... ::)

At least they wore trunks then and not thongs like they do today.

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2006, 07:47:35 AM »
At least they wore trunks then and not thongs like they do today.
this coming from a guy who has his boyfriend take a picture of him in a tank top, khaki shorts and Timberlands by a campfire, hahahaha, gay as the day is long.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2006, 07:49:53 AM »
Yes that's pretty gay haha.

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2006, 07:51:13 AM »
I was being sarcastic you moronic little queer... ;)
Golden shower, do you still think your Robby Robinson? Or did i miss the thread where you admitted you werent ? ?hahhahahahah
L

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2006, 09:33:32 AM »
The way I see it: every pro goes through the stage of having an ideal body in their way to being a pro.  At that point they are probably getting a lot of dates, so HOW can they ignore this and keep on training to get bigger? 

Like anything it gets to be compulsive. Like an anorexic who thinks he or she is fat when they are walking skeletons. No matter how big these guys get they are insecure and think they aren't big enough.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2006, 09:36:52 AM »
this coming from a guy who has his boyfriend take a picture of him in a tank top, khaki shorts and Timberlands by a campfire, hahahaha, gay as the day is long.

at least I POSTED A PICTURE Mr. phantom 18" arms and intimidator of grade school kids and leader of a pack of teenage bozo's. ::)

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2006, 09:37:44 AM »
Yes that's pretty gay haha.

Ok, you worthless brown nosing toadie.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2006, 09:39:54 AM »

Its pretty obvious you like the thongs Mr. fraud.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2006, 10:49:47 AM »

Maybe I looked bad to you. At least I had the guts to post a pic. Why don't you post one? Oh, i'm sorry. Frozzor beat you to the one you wanted to use.

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2006, 10:54:10 AM »
[/quote

Don't make me post your picture uncle fester, haha.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2006, 02:32:56 PM »
[/quote

Don't make me post your picture uncle fester, haha.

Go ahead toadie. Please post my pic you goofball. ::)

ali23

• Getbig III
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2006, 01:03:38 AM »
I did a 525 pound deadlift as a 198 pounder naturally way back in 1964 or so and broke the then UBC open record for the deadlift. That gained me a lot of respect from football players who called us mirror athletes and figleafers!

So 500 pounds wasn't that heavy for me. What happened was we received some new Olympic sets to stop the lads fighting over the bar on the bench press. Well, it was the cool season in Australia and I thought I would see if I could break the gym record. A guy called The Pope was urging me on and I would normally have not finished the lift. I was yanking it up and that is when my right biceps tore. I was using Dianabol then and perhaps that contributed to the injury. I was very strong at the time and benched 410 and curled 185 strictly. Deadlifts are dangerous. Why risk a muscle tear doing that exercise. Bench pressing is also bad for shoulders. You seldom see old men doing heavy benches.

wow you went to UBC!! Great school!

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2006, 02:07:03 AM »
UBC used to have a weights room under the stadium which was next to War Memorial Gym. We used to train there and for two years in 1964 and 65 we held a Strongest Man on Campus contest open to all the students. I won both years. We did the squat, deadlift, curl and bench press, plus you needed to be able to pinch a thick heavy disc to even qualify to enter. Somehow the authorities closed the training area to everyone so the only way we had access was to form a club. I drew up the necessary constitution and we elected officials. We called ourselves the Figleafers because the football players used to tease us. They stopped teasing us when I broke the university record in the deadlift but we still called ourselves figs afterwards. The figleaf was used to cover the genitals in those nude sculptures in Greece and Rome to not offend the believers in the Catholic Church.

TheGoldenPrince

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2006, 02:49:26 AM »
Here is a better comparison for those of you who are visually challenged like my friend sarcasm.

Damn man, Vince, your upper body is very comparable to Steve there! Arms certainly and lats, on a shorterframe...good work there! Your shortfall was your legs though. Why didn't you try carying on natural? Nothing to lose but cash since effort and drive I guess were already within your grasp?
Team Goodrum!

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2006, 02:56:08 AM »
Damn man, Vince, your upper body is very comparable to Steve there! Arms certainly and lats, on a shorterframe...good work there!
The only similarity is that they're both hitting the same pose.