Author Topic: Looking Back - Blasts from the past  (Read 344115 times)

stavios

• Getbig III
Re: Looking Back - Blasts from the past
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2013, 10:00:55 PM »
Here I am at about 110kg.

I liked this off season look

damn I didn't even know you were in that good of a shape

DeketheCreep

• Getbig IV
  • then does a head stand and spread his ass apart!
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2013, 02:17:19 PM »

My favorite one went something like this. They were at a seminar at a gym in Germany doing a Q&A type talk when one of the fans asked Kevin how strong he was, he answered, "pretty strong". They kept asking how many sets and reps etc. He finally answered by suggesting that they set up a bench and weights to find out how strong he was. Sonny said that completely cold, no warm up he benched at 4 plates a side and smashed out an easy 20 reps. Sonny and they fans could not believe their eyes and Kevin just kept on with the seminar like nothing special had happened.
Whoa that's fuckin cool! Great story tony awesome thread!

Schmoff

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2013, 02:49:05 PM »
awesome thread!!!

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2013, 03:07:52 PM »
A shot I took of Flex Wheeler along the way late 90s.
I remember thinking everything is round, there has never been anyone like this.
Dude from another planet.

The most Unforgettable thing I have ever seen in Bodybuilding! Flex making an appearance at a supplement store off-season before the 99 Olympia! He said he weighed 289, his arms were the roundest cartoon like things i have ever seen!

sean

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2013, 12:58:57 PM »
The most Unforgettable thing I have ever seen in Bodybuilding! Flex making an appearance at a supplement store off-season before the 99 Olympia! He said he weighed 289, his arms were the roundest cartoon like things i have ever seen!

I saw him in person a year later and his shoulders literally looked like basketballs under his t-shirt. I mean, it was obvious what he was doing around that time, but was nonetheless, shocking to see.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2013, 04:12:29 PM »

Some great pics there... one day, I gotta go through the pics I have from various shows that few people have seen...

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2013, 05:38:40 PM »

Some great pics there... one day, I gotta go through the pics I have from various shows that few people have seen...

1000,s man..

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2013, 06:24:56 PM »
One of the most memorable tours ever was Louie in 1993, Just weeks before his big comeback. He was incredible. We had 3 generations of fans that packed the place out. Guys that had been fans in the 70s brought their sons and grandsons. I remember it like yesterday. I led Louie onstage to a standing ovation, he was overwhelmed by it and really opened up to the fans.

It was the most memorable interview that I have ever done. He was honest, emotional and humble. He was at least 70lb heavier than when he had done Pumping Iron. Possibly the biggest and best guest poser that I have ever had in Australia.

I got to interview him for Flexonline at last years Olympia and he still remembered that show in Melbourne all those years ago.

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2013, 06:26:27 PM »
The interview.

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2013, 06:40:29 PM »
Check this out, I have never posted this anywhere, 20 year old fax from Louie

stavios

• Getbig III
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2013, 06:57:45 PM »
haha pretty awesome

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2013, 08:15:28 PM »
Faxing a groceries list, smart move :D
AFAIK, the Australian customs once seized Ronnie's beef, do you remember this Tony?

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2013, 10:10:05 PM »
The pictures and the fax is awesome. I like to see how genuine and concerned he was. Too bad he had to try the calf implants. Very evident in these pictures.

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2013, 07:20:44 PM »
Dorian's first ever USA show, New York Night Of Champions 1990 with Beneziza who won the show. I got to MC the contest which was a big thing for me at the time, I went from a small country town in Australia to the Beacon Theater on Broadway.
What a small world we live in.....(I was there/at this show)

old-school-lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2013, 09:07:28 PM »
great pics of Louie tony

thanks

are you rocking a pony tail there?!  ;D

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2013, 09:57:07 PM »
great pics of Louie tony

thanks

are you rocking a pony tail there?!  ;D

Yes guilty, it was rotten in hindsight

old-school-lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2013, 11:04:25 PM »
you were going for the Van damme look?

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2013, 12:14:21 AM »
On tour with Nasser late 90s.

Nasser was a great guest and very funny even if it was at the expense of everyone else. He hung shit on just about every other pro and although it could seem he was full of hate, a lot of it was tongue in cheek. He would would tell the most incredible and unbelievable stories of the other pros. Sometimes I think he would just see how far he could go before you knew he was bullshitting.

He also had a kind side that he didn't like anyone to see. We went to this restaurant on Sydney Road one night, it was Nepalese from memory and a family was working very hard to keep the doors open. They had the Dad cooking, the Mum serving and a few little kids out the back on broken furniture and on the floor watching a tiny little TV. You could see they were doing it hard and basically had nothing. When we were leaving Nasser said he had forgotten something and went back inside. I watched through the window as he handed over a couple of hundred bucks to the Mum. He came outside and never said a word about it. I thought that showed a lot of class.

Another time in a different restaurant, much more upmarket, we got really bad service. One of us complained when the food came out cold or undercooked or something. Nasser quickly paid the bill and said we are leaving, convinced that chefs spit in your food if ever you complain. With a dead pan, straight face, he warned me to always leave a restaurant in this situation, no exceptions.

On one tour, we had had quite a few bottles of beer on the last night, we had an early start and I dropped him off at the hotel late in the night. After a few hours I returned to get him to the airport. I was exhausted, hungover and just made it out of bed. There he was as fresh as could be, no hangover, all packed up and waiting at the front. When we got to the airport he handed me a big envelope full of 8 X 10 pictures that he had been selling on the tour. He had stayed up and signed every one of them, maybe 50-60. Some he even had left a message like, "Train Hard ............. Your friend, Nasser" leaving blank spaces for their names. When I asked him what they were for, he said "please give them out to the fans that coould not afford to come to the show"

He could be cutting with his opinions and stories but then had this kindness that I have seldom seen.

RIP Nasser.

old-school-lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2013, 12:25:39 AM »
thanks for these great pics and stories about Nasser Tony

i have heard of many similar stories of nasser's kindness and generosity from other fans

great thread TD and keep it going!

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2013, 12:26:09 AM »
I still have a few of the signed shots, here is an example.

old-school-lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2013, 12:39:59 AM »
TD

i heard nasser was fond of Sonny Schmidt, one of the pros he got on with well

any pics of you Nasser and Sonny?

i know you were like a brother to sonny

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2013, 04:06:36 AM »
Here is a shot from 94 with Sonny, his brother Pale (Both deceased) Me and Mike Matarazzo.
Great times. When Mike guest posed he was way out of shape, to be honest, no one complained because he had personality. I remember interviewing him and he said that when was coming up in the sport he would organize his food for the day and what ever he had left would go into the blender. Chicken, steak, eggs, tuna rice, whatever was left. Blend and drink. That's hardcore, the fans loved it. He stuck me as a real decent bloke, sort of person that would have lifelong friends outside of bodybuilding.

O.Z.

• Getbig IV
  • Team Swimmers
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2013, 05:10:09 AM »
great stuff Tony

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2013, 05:25:48 AM »
Here is a shot from 94 with Sonny, his brother Pale (Both deceased) Me and Mike Matarazzo.
Great times. When Mike guest posed he was way out of shape, to be honest, no one complained because he had personality. I remember interviewing him and he said that when was coming up in the sport he would organize his food for the day and what ever he had left would go into the blender. Chicken, steak, eggs, tuna rice, whatever was left. Blend and drink. That's hardcore, the fans loved it. He stuck me as a real decent bloke, sort of person that would have lifelong friends outside of bodybuilding.

Tony, do you have any idea how Mike is doing these days, after those heart surgeries?

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2013, 05:39:08 AM »
Tony, do you have any idea how Mike is doing these days, after those heart surgeries?

No have not spoken to him in years.