Author Topic: Law School and Bodybuilding  (Read 7666 times)

Kentucky_cowboy

• Getbig II
  • Team Lean Face
Law School and Bodybuilding
« on: October 21, 2008, 07:49:15 AM »
I'm thinking of starting law school, I seem to be doing well on the LSAT practice exams and I have the grades to get into most average law schools, except I'm concerned about passing the bar exam after.  Is it difficult?  I would think that law school is structured such that if you're smart enough to make it through your degree then you should be able to tackle the bar exam.  Any thoughts?  And if you finish a law degree and can't pass your bar exam is your law degree practically useless?

Also, is being a lawyer an appropriate career for a bodybuilder?  Any pro bodybuilders who have a law background?

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
Re: Law School
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 07:50:30 AM »
have you ever read this forum?

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 07:54:39 AM »
And this is related to BB gossip, how?  ::)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 07:56:36 AM »
great thread you should post more often cowboy
maybe you can tell us about your battle with some indians
Z

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 07:58:31 AM »
so are you still in high school? if so whatever you think you'll be doing after college -you wont.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 08:00:11 AM »
I'm thinking of starting law school, I seem to be doing well on the LSAT practice exams and I have the grades to get into most average law schools, except I'm concerned about passing the bar exam after.  Is it difficult?  I would think that law school is structured such that if you're smart enough to make it through your degree then you should be able to tackle the bar exam.  Any thoughts?  And if you finish a law degree and can't pass your bar exam is your law degree practically useless?

Kind of sounds like Johnny Vegas has got a prodigy.

Kentucky_cowboy

• Getbig II
  • Team Lean Face
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 08:03:25 AM »
And this is related to BB gossip, how?  ::)

My bad, will fix that for you

Kentucky_cowboy

• Getbig II
  • Team Lean Face
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 08:05:34 AM »

elite_lifter

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
Re: Law School and Bodybuilding
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 08:06:00 AM »
JV is one of those extended getbig "business trips" ! ;D
I am a big baby

Kentucky_cowboy

• Getbig II
  • Team Lean Face
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 08:06:50 AM »
so are you still in high school? if so whatever you think you'll be doing after college -you wont.

If I was still in high school I probably would not have said I was taking practice LSAT tests right? ;)

erokyrwrld

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 08:07:07 AM »
Don't do it. The loans you will likely have to take out will far exceed what the market will pay you in your first 5-10 years of working.  About 5 years ago, when the economy first started going really down, law school applications tripled as no one was able to find work with just an undergrad degree.  As a result, class sizes grew astronomically and there are now more law students than lawyers!  This means the job market is completely oversaturated and just finding a job that pays something is hard for most.  Very few get the cushy jobs.  And...its just getting worse.  I graduated top 5, with law review, a published article, and an appellate court clerkship and I had to resort to a dinky small firm to make ends meet.  Thankfully I had a full ride, so loans aren't an issue.

On the other hand, my fiance is graduating this year and has loans whose repayment amount is going to be more than our mortgage.  If she can find a job at all in the current market, it won't pay enough to pay her minimum monthly amount.

More to the point, law school for me was easy, for her its difficult.  Depends on your ability to think logically and problem solve.  The bar exam is an endurance test and was easily passable for me (I passed 2 different states my first year out), but for her I think she may not have such an easy time.

Just for a point of reference, I went to a state school undergrad, she went to ivy league school. I did poorly undergrad, she did great.  There is no predicting factor.

erokyrwrld

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 08:10:28 AM »
Being at a small firm, I have the ability to eat when ever I want and I am able to hit the gym everyday.  But, I don't have any family obligations.

Most of my friends do not have the time to hit the gym even a couple times per week because their jobs require very long hours or they have families who require their presence sometimes. It depends on your situation.

That being said, I have been practicing for about 6 years now, and have not run into a single other lawyer who I thought carried more muscle than me.  And I am fairly small. 5'7", ~200lbs.  The field is not conducive to the lifestyle.

elite_lifter

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 08:12:15 AM »
Don't do it. The loans you will likely have to take out will far exceed what the market will pay you in your first 5-10 years of working.  About 5 years ago, when the economy first started going really down, law school applications tripled as no one was able to find work with just an undergrad degree.  As a result, class sizes grew astronomically and there are now more law students than lawyers!  This means the job market is completely oversaturated and just finding a job that pays something is hard for most.  Very few get the cushy jobs.  And...its just getting worse.  I graduated top 5, with law review, a published article, and an appellate court clerkship and I had to resort to a dinky small firm to make ends meet.  Thankfully I had a full ride, so loans aren't an issue.

On the other hand, my fiance is graduating this year and has loans whose repayment amount is going to be more than our mortgage.  If she can find a job at all in the current market, it won't pay enough to pay her minimum monthly amount.

More to the point, law school for me was easy, for her its difficult.  Depends on your ability to think logically and problem solve.  The bar exam is an endurance test and was easily passable for me (I passed 2 different states my first year out), but for her I think she may not have such an easy time.

Just for a point of reference, I went to a state school undergrad, she went to ivy league school. I did poorly undergrad, she did great.  There is no predicting factor.
Good info but I dont think the thread starter actually gives a shit, you're new here so its ok. BTW, my wife got a job two months after graduating Law School and is doing quite nicely so your theory is not exactly solid.
I am a big baby

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 08:12:35 AM »

It is good that you are looking into a PLAN B should you not make it in LAW...So far as the BAR EXAM goes..

As long as you know how to make the most popular drinks, the BAR EXAM should be easy. Here is a site that lists of the most common drinks and recipes a bartender must know how to make in order to pass the test...

http://www.barnonedrinks.com/drinks/by_category/

GOOD LUCK

C

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 08:14:54 AM »

Also, is being a lawyer an appropriate career for a bodybuilder?  Any pro bodybuilders who have a law background?

Thought about law school, but when my business began to grow rapidly - coupled with my ex-wife's refusal to move to Columbia or Austin - I ended up not doing it.

I now study law 3 hours a day with the help of Judges Greg Mathis, Joe Brown, and Marilyn Milian.  I occasionally consult with Judge Judy.

Needless to say, I now know everything needed to build a thriving practice in the ghetto or a trailer park.   :D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 08:29:17 AM »
I'd love to go to law school and still think I might do it in 5 years.

Kentucky_cowboy

• Getbig II
  • Team Lean Face
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 09:06:29 AM »
Thanks for all the info erokyrwrld, I always thought as a lawyer it would not be difficult to repay student loans, while as a substitute teacher it would be unless you live with your mother or something.

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2008, 09:10:10 AM »
Thanks for all the info erokyrwrld, I always thought as a lawyer it would not be difficult to repay student loans, while as a substitute teacher it would be unless you live with your mother or something.

lol

HBeef

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2008, 09:18:45 AM »

Where do I begin???

A law degree ( LLB ) will take you 3 years and 6 months after you are eligible to write the bar ( keep in mind John Kennedy Jr failed it twice. )The bar is a comprehensive test of your knowledge of the law and one needs to pass it in the state where they will practice.

Most grads with an LLB will get hiered on to a firm prior to writing the bar ( marks are the issue to getting a job ) and the firm's partners will give you a hand / insight as to what to expect. Now, what factors into getting hiered on with a firm are things like criminal convertions ( felony ) such as contributing to the delinquency of a minor and issues along these lines.

PH LLB

P.S. Having a law degree and not practicing is not useless, it makes you self important and a hell of a GetBig poster. My Mom's calling she needs to use the phone so I have to go. Hope this helps

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2008, 09:24:01 AM »
Where do I begin???

A law degree ( LLB ) will take you 3 years and 6 months after you are eligible to write the bar ( keep in mind John Kennedy Jr failed it twice. )The bar is a comprehensive test of your knowledge of the law and one needs to pass it in the state where they will practice.

Most grads with an LLB will get hiered on to a firm prior to writing the bar ( marks are the issue to getting a job ) and the firm's partners will give you a hand / insight as to what to expect. Now, what factors into getting hiered on with a firm are things like criminal convertions ( felony ) such as contributing to the delinquency of a minor and issues along these lines.

PH LLB

P.S. Having a law degree and not practicing is not useless, it makes you self important and a hell of a GetBig poster. My Mom's calling she needs to use the phone so I have to go. Hope this helps

Even with the misspellings, this is one of the best posts ever.

HBeef

• Getbig II
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2008, 09:25:22 AM »
I'd love to go to law school and still think I might do it in 5 years.

Over you head, young man. Your MBA from Gulf State is a B.S. An MBA from that school is not taken seriously as it is  not an accredited university. Third rate at best.

I suggest you put your MBA ( cough ) to use by sitting at home and building clone web sites for a good price . . . let's say $299.99

PH LLB

HBeef

• Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2008, 09:28:35 AM »
Even with the misspellings, this is one of the best posts ever.

Spelling??? Give me a break. I m studing for the bar ( still ,) I've got my Mom on my ass and I need to call my probation officer.

Spelling means shit to a lawyer.

PH LLB

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2008, 09:38:41 AM »
I ditched that plan.  Another three years of school and not having a life.... fuck that.
I'm getting my Masters in Economics.

Kentucky_cowboy

• Getbig II
  • Team Lean Face
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2008, 09:44:58 AM »
I ditched that plan.  Another three years of school and not having a life.... fuck that.
I'm getting my Masters in Economics.

Are you suggesting that with a masters in economics you will not have to live with your mother in order to repay your student loans?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2008, 11:05:38 AM »
Over you head, young man. Your MBA from Gulf State is a B.S. An MBA from that school is not taken seriously as it is  not an accredited university. Third rate at best.

While I agree my MBA is nowhere near as valuable as one from a top business school, Florida Gulf Coast University is AACSB International accredited.

http://www.fgcu.edu/cob/accreditation/am.html