Author Topic: 70's Bodybuilding Diet  (Read 15754 times)

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • "The World Meets Nobody Half Way"
70's Bodybuilding Diet
« on: May 18, 2016, 06:42:44 AM »
Reading about diets of fhe 70's bbodybuilers, majority of them were pretty much doing a keto diet with a weekly carb up, fats coming from red meat, egg yolks, and cottage cheese. This diet got them in shape with little to no cardio, when did bodybuilders begin to steer away from this diet and venture into incorporating the lower fat, carb cycle type approach? Seems like the guys in the 70s had the right formula? I know i had success with a cutting keto diet for my second show, but now looking into doing more of this 70s type of diet as a maintainance diet any of you guys have success with this old school approach ?

Tha Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
Re: 70's Bodybuilding Diet
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 06:49:05 AM »
Make sure you take plenty of Amphetamines to curb your appetite

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 07:07:24 AM »
Heavy cream (no homo) and "breathing squats" to expand the ribcage oh brother

mr.turbo

• Getbig V
  • Team Freedom
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 07:12:02 AM »
didn't read

how's the upper chest coming?
"

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC č un asino
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 07:32:31 AM »

Just add desiccated liver tabs and pullovers and you can rule.
Y

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 07:52:24 AM »
I'm currently on high carbs whilst cutting and am actually gaining strength. I rarely found that to be the case whilst doing low or no carbs. If you're clean/natural it should be about losing fat steadily whilst trying to maintain as much fullness as possible. I'd rather diet on slightly higher calories and carbs than cut weight stupidly fast and sacrifice tonnes of size.

SquatsRule

• Getbig IV
  • I am "teh sexy"
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 07:52:42 AM »
Just add desiccated liver tabs and pullovers and you can rule.
Don't forget the glandulars and fertilized eggs for optimal hormone levels.
S

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 07:57:17 AM »
is this gonna be one of those pissing contests where people argue "high carbs vs Keto vs IF vs IIFYM"?

THEY ALL WORK!!!

Just pick one or even better cycle using different, proven nutritional methods, keep it clean, train appropriately and you're fine

there is no such thing as "The best method"...there is only such thing as "do(ing)"

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 08:05:38 AM »
is this gonna be one of those pissing contests where people argue "high carbs vs Keto vs IF vs IIFYM"?

THEY ALL WORK!!!

Just pick one or even better cycle using different, proven nutritional methods, keep it clean, train appropriately and you're fine

there is no such thing as "The best method"...there is only such thing as "do(ing)"
This X10000

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 08:29:03 AM »
 ;D
didn't read

how's the upper chest coming?
small improvement, focusing on it, pretty much doing all upper chest movements with some dips thrown into the mix.
I'm currently on high carbs whilst cutting and am actually gaining strength. I rarely found that to be the case whilst doing low or no carbs. If you're clean/natural it should be about losing fat steadily whilst trying to maintain as much fullness as possible. I'd rather diet on slightly higher calories and carbs than cut weight stupidly fast and sacrifice tonnes of size.
the thing is that you have to up the fats drastically, in order to have sufficient energy, that was the case for my prep on it, but now offseason I'm able to experiment with a lot more calories and gauge the progress and how I feel energy wise.

THEY ALL WORK!!!

I'm not debating if one works better then the other, but which one is optimal, and which one you feel the best on. Having stable energy levels, with out any crashes, relying on caffeine for artificial energy, gut health, bloating...that's what I'm looking for.

Zillotch

• Getbig V
  • the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 08:33:30 AM »
steroids and starvation… pretty simple.

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 08:36:55 AM »
Well, arnold himself is quoted as eating pies after working out along with Franco and Nubret ate high protein/high carb/low fat the premise is up for debate to begin with.

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 08:38:37 AM »
steroids and starvation… pretty simple.
haha
Well, arnold himself is quoted as eating pies after working out along with Franco and Nubret ate high protein/high carb/low fat the premise is up for debate to begin with.

they ate all out on sundays, mon-sat they ate : eggs, beef, cottage cheese, and shakes composed of heavy cream/whole eggs

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 08:42:43 AM »
Make sure you take plenty of Amphetamines to curb your appetite

Very little has changed in that sense.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 08:43:12 AM »

THEY ALL WORK!!!

TRUTH x 1000!

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2016, 08:45:20 AM »
Reading about diets of fhe 70's bbodybuilers, majority of them were pretty much doing a keto diet with a weekly carb up, fats coming from red meat, egg yolks, and cottage cheese. This diet got them in shape with little to no cardio, when did bodybuilders begin to steer away from this diet and venture into incorporating the lower fat, carb cycle type approach? Seems like the guys in the 70s had the right formula? I know i had success with a cutting keto diet for my second show, but now looking into doing more of this 70s type of diet as a maintainance diet any of you guys have success with this old school approach ?
^^
YES....

a_pupil

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2016, 08:51:08 AM »
didn't arnie say he got leaner with the fish and rice diet?

never had much success with keto as it makes me too prone to binge. and that mental fog messed me up from posting on getbig at work

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2016, 09:00:56 AM »
hahathey ate all out on sundays, mon-sat they ate : eggs, beef, cottage cheese, and shakes composed of heavy cream/whole eggs
Oh, ok, I'll take your word for it....

Spike

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Kill your ego
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2016, 09:10:10 AM »
All ground round , eggs and dbol

WannaBePro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2016, 09:20:51 AM »
didn't arnie say he got leaner with the fish and rice diet?

never had much success with keto as it makes me too prone to binge. and that mental fog messed me up from posting on getbig at work

I was on keto for like a year. I will say this, the brain fog goes away about 3 weeks in (for me, at least). But I did real keto, not "bodybuilder keto." I was doing about 70/30 fats/protein. Energy levels were awesome, had no urge to binge, workouts were great, etc... Just like they would have been if I was eating carbs. I'm now doing a carb-centric diet (trying new things is always good), and what I noticed is I feel much worse with carbs... Energy levels crash about an hour after eating, WAY hungrier by the time I eat my next meal. Workouts are good though, my intra shake includes about 40g carbs.
Anyway, that's my experience with keto.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2016, 09:28:40 AM »
I was on keto for like a year. I will say this, the brain fog goes away about 3 weeks in (for me, at least). But I did real keto, not "bodybuilder keto." I was doing about 70/30 fats/protein. Energy levels were awesome, had no urge to binge, workouts were great, etc... Just like they would have been if I was eating carbs. I'm now doing a carb-centric diet (trying new things is always good), and what I noticed is I feel much worse with carbs... Energy levels crash about an hour after eating, WAY hungrier by the time I eat my next meal. Workouts are good though, my intra shake includes about 40g carbs.
Anyway, that's my experience with keto.

a few questions

what  would a typical day of  eating look like

were the 40 grams of carb intra workout your  only carbs

how many grams of protein per day (just curious because most Keto diets restrict protein t avoid gluconeogenesis)

the hardest part for me has always been eating so much fat which is essential otherwise your body would likely breakdown muscle to convert to glucose for energy (assuming protein was also relatively low)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2016, 09:29:18 AM »
Intresting thread...

WannaBePro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2016, 09:42:05 AM »
a few questions

what  would a typical day of  eating look like

were the 40 grams of carb intra workout your  only carbs

how many grams of protein per day (just curious because most Keto diets restrict protein t avoid gluconeogenesis)

the hardest part for me has always been eating so much fat which is essential otherwise your body would likely breakdown muscle to convert to glucose for energy (assuming protein was also relatively low)

No direct carbs on keto, I'm doing intra carbs now that I switched to a carb-based diet. The only "carbs" I got on keto came from broccoli, spinach, romaine lettuce, etc...
I calculated I need about 2500 calories to cut from where I started, and I just calculated protein to be about 185g (I actually started with 170g) and fats to be about 195g (actual number ended up being about 180g at the beginning). Then as I went along, I lowered calories every 2 weeks until I got to about 1900 (same macro ratios), then just kind of maintained at 2000 - 2100.
My food would consist of red meat, pork, salmon, mackerel, chicken thigh. For snacks I had macadamia nuts (got kind of addicted to those...), walnuts, brazil nuts, coconut oil, x-virgin olive oil, etc... Veggies all came from leafy greens. I weighed everything out for the first couple months, then I was able to eyeball stuff and rarely used my food scale. I actually did very well, mentally, on this diet. I guess I'm just one of those people who does well on fat-based diets.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2016, 09:50:40 AM »

Good point. They knew back then and earlier that sugar got you fat. They knew to avoid excess simple sugars and carbs to help drop the excess water and fat. And yet, in the 1980's somehow the whole high carb low fat craze exploded. It's bizarre.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2016, 09:54:04 AM »

Good point. They knew back then and earlier that sugar got you fat. They knew to avoid excess simple sugars and carbs to help drop the excess water and fat. And yet, in the 1980's somehow the whole high carb low fat craze exploded. It's bizarre.

probably had to do in some respect with the medical community pushing low fat, low cholesterol, Food Pyramid BS