Author Topic: Box Squats  (Read 1001 times)

mass 04

• Getbig V
Box Squats
« on: July 12, 2009, 04:16:28 PM »
Have any of you ever done them? I've been doing them for the past few weeks. Any experience with them?

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: Box Squats
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 06:12:54 PM »
They work good, how deep are you going?
I like a wider stance, but I go to 12" box.  Don't "rock" out of the bottom, you'll put the stress on your lower back.

*Waits for pumpster to come along and tell everyone how right his opinion is and we're all wrong. ::)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 06:18:46 PM »
They work good, how deep are you going?
I like a wider stance, but I go to 12" box.  Don't "rock" out of the bottom, you'll put the stress on your lower back.

*Waits for pumpster to come along and tell everyone how right his opinion is and we're all wrong. ::)
yeah, i go real wide right to parallel. It's more touch and go on the box. I've seen guys that actually sit on the box for a second before coming up.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 06:22:24 PM »
yeah, i go real wide right to parallel. It's more touch and go on the box. I've seen guys that actually sit on the box for a second before coming up.
Try breaking parallel.....it's a whole different ball game. Sit down for a split second, don't touch and go, it will help your explosiveness out of the hole.

*Waits for pumpster to come along and tell everyone how right his opinion is and we're all wrong.   ::)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 06:27:07 PM »
Try breaking parallel.....it's a whole different ball game. Sit down for a split second, don't touch and go, it will help your explosiveness out of the hole.

*Waits for pumpster to come along and tell everyone how right his opinion is and we're all wrong.   ::)
thanks. I will do that next week.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 06:33:43 PM »
thanks. I will do that next week.
Start light.

*Waits for pumpster to come along and tell everyone how right his opinion is and we're all wrong.    ::)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 06:40:27 PM »
Start light.

*Waits for pumpster to come along and tell everyone how right his opinion is and we're all wrong.    ::)
light, is the only weight i know. ;D

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 12:59:08 AM »
The purpose of box squats is to break the concentric/eccentric chain. This builds your explosive power out of the hole quite well. Vary the box heights each week, use 2-3 different heights (1-2" above, 1-2" below, and 3"+ below parallel). I like to work from low to high and then take a few weeks to focus on front squats and such, but the westsiders use the box squat every week (just with different stances, bars, or boxes).

I let the tension out of my legs completely but keep my back very straight while sitting on the box. 1-2secs and back up.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 02:17:29 AM »
I've always found them better than regular squats, got great results with them that translated to excellent size and power. You want to go to around parallel, and barely brush the bench or box.

You can vary the height for variety but i got excellent results just keeping the bench at a particular height.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 09:28:59 AM »
Agree with Stubborn. Pausing on the box for 2 seconds, from a dead stop position, goes a long way in teaching the muscle impulses/response that quick explosive power. Action-pause-reaction. Also works very well with BP's off a PR. I have done dead stop dips, with good results. Many find box squats best in a PR. Adding chains can also work for the more serious lifter. Not always for everyone though.

If into BB'ing than only tap the butt on the box/bench, keeping the tension on the legs at all times. Good Luck.
F