Author Topic: No New Gas-Powered Cars in CA Starting 2035  (Read 3251 times)

Moontrane

• Getbig V
  • a Harris administration, together with Joe Biden
No New Gas-Powered Cars in CA Starting 2035
« on: September 25, 2020, 09:40:58 PM »
The madness of King Newsom.  :P

The Progressives in Sacramento have floated bills to ban GPC for years, but no bill has passed the legislature.  Since he can’t sign such a bill into law, Newsom has used executive power to ban the sale of new GPC in 15 years.

As we’ve seen from the Obama legacy, if one uses executive power to enact an agenda (color outside the lines), a successor can show up and use and eraser (or a sharpie) to undo that agenda.

https://www.desertsun.com/story/news/environment/2020/09/23/gavin-newsom-orders-california-ban-new-gas-powered-cars-2035/3504434001/

Sissysquats

• Getbig III
Re: No New Gas-Powered Cars in CA Starting 2035
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 09:52:01 PM »
Getting in state power generation up to speed not to mention a serious upgrade of the distribution system is going to take more effort and money than it will to get Manufacturers to get better range and power (loads/towing) In the vehicles. I’m betting the manufacturers will be waiting for the state to get its collective shit together. Then there the problem of getting a chit ton of rapid charging stations sited

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 03:00:08 AM »
The madness of King Newsom.  :P

The Progressives in Sacramento have floated bills to ban GPC for years, but no bill has passed the legislature.  Since he can’t sign such a bill into law, Newsom has used executive power to ban the sale of new GPC in 15 years.

As we’ve seen from the Obama legacy, if one uses executive power to enact an agenda (color outside the lines), a successor can show up and use and eraser (or a sharpie) to undo that agenda.

https://www.desertsun.com/story/news/environment/2020/09/23/gavin-newsom-orders-california-ban-new-gas-powered-cars-2035/3504434001/

In 15 years will anyone want to buy a car with an internal combustion engine? Probably not, but if anyone really does, this restriction ain’t a problem: car dealerships in Las Vegas will be more than happy to buy him the cheapest one-way airline ticket available, and pick him up from the airport in a dealership loaner vehicle. OAC, some restrictions apply.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 06:50:59 AM »
Babylon Bee has been on a roll lately😂😂😂

State With No Electricity Orders Everyone To Drive Cars That Run On Electricity | The Babylon Bee

https://babylonbee.com/news/state-with-no-electricity-orders-everyone-to-drive-cars-that-run-on-electricity

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 08:33:16 AM »
Babylon Bee has been on a roll lately😂😂😂

State With No Electricity Orders Everyone To Drive Cars That Run On Electricity | The Babylon Bee

https://babylonbee.com/news/state-with-no-electricity-orders-everyone-to-drive-cars-that-run-on-electricity

Simple logic.

Moontrane

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 01:08:44 AM »
In 15 years will anyone want to buy a car with an internal combustion engine? Probably not, but if anyone really does, this restriction ain’t a problem: car dealerships in Las Vegas will be more than happy to buy him the cheapest one-way airline ticket available, and pick him up from the airport in a dealership loaner vehicle. OAC, some restrictions apply.

Yes, they will.  By choice, the vast majority of everyone driving 15 years hence will still be in an ICE car.  Electric (or other technology) cars will be in greater demand than ICE cars when they are cost-competitive vs. ICE, and we have an electric grid that can support them. 

We aren’t pursuing nuclear power, and subsidies for renewable energy give them a grossly unfair advantage over fossil fuel and nuke power.  Also, electric car subsidies, tax credits, and rebates distort the market for car purchases – what you want becomes what the government determines what you can afford.

GHG emissions in the U.S. from cars and light trucks are inconsequential compared to GHG increases from China, let alone what China produces today and onward.  The Left would virtue signal us into trains and buses while China laughs.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 02:52:45 AM »
Yes, they will.  By choice, the vast majority of everyone driving 15 years hence will still be in an ICE car.  Electric (or other technology) cars will be in greater demand than ICE cars when they are cost-competitive vs. ICE, and we have an electric grid that can support them. 

We aren’t pursuing nuclear power, and subsidies for renewable energy give them a grossly unfair advantage over fossil fuel and nuke power.  Also, electric car subsidies, tax credits, and rebates distort the market for car purchases – what you want becomes what the government determines what you can afford.

GHG emissions in the U.S. from cars and light trucks are inconsequential compared to GHG increases from China, let alone what China produces today and onward.  The Left would virtue signal us into trains and buses while China laughs.

15 years is an eternity when it comes to technology. I’ll bet you a shiny 1oz gold coin that in 15 years the majority of new cars (“subcompact” through “large”), minivans, and suvs sold in the United States will be electric in 2035.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 04:12:48 AM »

Yes, we are running backwards while the rest of the world moves forward.

Moontrane

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2020, 03:37:46 AM »
15 years is an eternity when it comes to technology. I’ll bet you a shiny 1oz gold coin that in 15 years the majority of new cars (“subcompact” through “large”), minivans, and suvs sold in the United States will be electric in 2035.

Yes, 15 years is a long time for technology - in general.  You would lose the bet because just 2% of cars in the U.S. are electric now, so your 51% (majority) is a 2,550% increase.

Not gonna happen before 2035, unless we go nuke or develop a different source of power.

I’ll love renewables when they displace fossil fuels on their own merit.  We didn’t get steamships because we ran out of wind.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2020, 10:37:42 PM »
You would lose the bet because just 2% of cars in the U.S. are electric now, so your 51% (majority) is a 2,550% increase.

It's certainly an optimistic projection but maybe not as optimistic as you think. Remember, I said "the majority of new cars (“subcompact” through “large”), minivans, and suvs sold in the United States will be electric in 2035." Consumers, by and large, don't care what's under the hood; they just want a safe car to get them from point A to point B and back in style and comfort. So if the percentage of electric vehicles available to them increases, the percentage of electric vehicles sold will increase dramatically too.

My guess is that with Tesla having proven the electric car is not just a toy but something that's actually viable and even superior to a vehicle with an ICE, manufacturers will quickly begin to offer such vehicles. Volkswagen, one of the largest car manufacturers in the world, has jumped in with both feet to try and avoid being boiled alive in a cauldron of diesel exhaust fluid. GM and Ford are in it. Toyota seems to be too. And the remaining 4 or 5 car companies are following suit, either developing their own tech, or partnering and choosing to co-develop.

Kront0

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2020, 01:08:59 PM »
It is very interesting to read such articles and learn something new all the time. I often read reviews of different cars in particular about the 2020 Dodge Durango that I plan to buy. They really write very cool and understand all this well, and therefore I am especially interested in reading and learning about it. I can always be in trend thanks to such sites and the authors of such reviews.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2020, 02:12:58 PM »
Yes, 15 years is a long time for technology - in general.  You would lose the bet because just 2% of cars in the U.S. are electric now, so your 51% (majority) is a 2,550% increase.

Not gonna happen before 2035, unless we go nuke or develop a different source of power.

I’ll love renewables when they displace fossil fuels on their own merit.  We didn’t get steamships because we ran out of wind.

I think the smaller passenger vehicles will be electric by then, but it's going to take decades to replace the larger vehicles.

I'm interested to see how Tesla's hold up after 10+ years. I know several people who are having some serious issues with them.

It's important to move in a better direction, but i don't think electric vehicles are going to make much of a difference. It's just going to make people feel better about themselves.

It is a start at least.

Moontrane

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2020, 03:34:38 PM »
I think the smaller passenger vehicles will be electric by then, but it's going to take decades to replace the larger vehicles.

I'm interested to see how Tesla's hold up after 10+ years. I know several people who are having some serious issues with them.

It's important to move in a better direction, but i don't think electric vehicles are going to make much of a difference. It's just going to make people feel better about themselves.

It is a start at least.

By then Ellen Musk will living on Mars, laughing at us hoi polloi.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2020, 04:30:32 PM »
By then Ellen Musk will living on Mars, laughing at us hoi polloi.

;D

If anyone has the means to get there, it's Musk.

Looking forward to how things change now that space exploration is more privatized.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2020, 06:35:54 PM »

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2020, 03:39:42 AM »
;D

If anyone has the means to get there, it's Musk.

Looking forward to how things change now that space exploration is more privatized.
Nothing is changing.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2020, 06:40:13 AM »
Nothing is changing.

I laugh at anyone thinking these big names are responsible for anything...

Gates
Musk
Zuck
Bezos

These are all govt directed enterprises.

NASA just shuts down so a private company can go to Mars?
They break up telephone companies for monopoly but allow Alphabet and Amazon?
The govt spying program that was being tested was shut off the day Facebook was launched?
Gates, a guy with a tech company yet barely a technical bone in his body for the last 30 years...now gives speeches on pandemics and eugenics?

Gullible people out there...trampling each other for xmas gifts, cheap calories...watching sports and pretending everything is okay. Their lack of discipline is disgusting.

Sissysquats

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2020, 06:51:25 AM »
Yea, great, awesome, forward thinking. Except the state can’t deliver power reliably to change the vehicles

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2020, 10:40:32 AM »
Nothing is changing.

I understand your point, but things have changed a lot since Space X got involved with NASA. I think having private funding for the space exploration programs is the best thing we have seen in decades.

Sure the government is always going to regulate it, but the advances in technology since they got involved is incredible.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2020, 10:43:31 AM »

I laugh at anyone thinking these big names are responsible for anything...

Gates
Musk
Zuck
Bezos

These are all govt directed enterprises.

NASA just shuts down so a private company can go to Mars?
They break up telephone companies for monopoly but allow Alphabet and Amazon?
The govt spying program that was being tested was shut off the day Facebook was launched?
Gates, a guy with a tech company yet barely a technical bone in his body for the last 30 years...now gives speeches on pandemics and eugenics?

Gullible people out there...trampling each other for xmas gifts, cheap calories...watching sports and pretending everything is okay. Their lack of discipline is disgusting.

;D

They were responsible for creating and building their companies, it's just that now they are controlled by outside figures as they have gotten bigger. That's the nature of power in the world.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2020, 11:28:01 AM »
I understand your point, but things have changed a lot since Space X got involved with NASA. I think having private funding for the space exploration programs is the best thing we have seen in decades.

Sure the government is always going to regulate it, but the advances in technology since they got involved is incredible.
What advances in technology?

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2020, 01:00:53 PM »
What advances in technology?

Everything.

It's a long read, but basically the only reason why we've progresses so much in Aerospace is due to the relationship between NASA and SpaceX.

https://everydayastronaut.com/spacex-vs-nasa-is-that-even-a-fair-question/

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2020, 02:46:32 AM »
Everything.

It's a long read, but basically the only reason why we've progresses so much in Aerospace is due to the relationship between NASA and SpaceX.

https://everydayastronaut.com/spacex-vs-nasa-is-that-even-a-fair-question/
I thought you meant technology that the population actually uses.  All new space tech is what they tell us to keep getting funding for their projects.  We have no actual way of knowing if this tech is real or not.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2020, 12:00:45 PM »
I thought you meant technology that the population actually uses.  All new space tech is what they tell us to keep getting funding for their projects.  We have no actual way of knowing if this tech is real or not.

Ahh word. I'm speaking in terms of space travel and study.

I follow NASA quite a bit, a guy i went to college with is an Aerospace Engineer at NASA, he has worked on Project Viper for a long time.

The tech that has come forward in the last 15 years is outstanding. We were essentially using 1970-80's tech all the way up until 2006. The communications systems, rocket propulsion, guidance systems, space suits, safety protocols, software, etc. It has all changed so much due to SpaceX getting involved. NASA gave them billions to provide engineering advancements and they did it, at a reduced cost.  NASA has pissed away billions of dollars over the last few decades, they are terrible at spending money and aren't really held accountable.

Of course it all comes from funding, but SpaceX has done so much with the money they have been given it's crazy. There is also a lot less wasted funds, NASA was spending 10 times what SpaceX received per year and made very little progress in the last 20 years.

Better engineering, better management and better return on the money.

The technology advancements in aerospace will eventually trickle down to us here, it just depends on how practical the tech is and if it's financially possible to scale up for the world to use.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2020, 12:39:46 PM »
I doubt I'll be driving in 2035 at 91 years of age. But, you never know.