Author Topic: Denial? Sonnen vs. Silva  (Read 3531 times)

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
Denial? Sonnen vs. Silva
« on: August 17, 2013, 01:09:47 PM »
"I want to fight Anderson Silva more than I want to wake up tomorrow morning. I don't care if he has got the belt or not. I don't accept the outcome of either of [our] fights; I don't acknowledge that for one day he was the better fighter than me."

With three title shots, all losses, in the past three years, Sonnen isn't focused on facing the middleweight champion at this time. At 36, the possibility of landing another title shot is fading.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
Re: Denial?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 01:21:06 PM »
"I want to fight Anderson Silva more than I want to wake up tomorrow morning. I don't care if he has got the belt or not. I don't accept the outcome of either of [our] fights; I don't acknowledge that for one day he was the better fighter than me."

With three title shots, all losses, in the past three years, Sonnen isn't focused on facing the middleweight champion at this time. At 36, the possibility of landing another title shot is fading.

Chael was never a top tier fighter. He was relatively unknown for quite some time and then started the trash talk game and BINGO! Dana soon realized that the classic WWE trash talking game is always good for ratings and harpooned him to be a top contender.

Chael needs to keep the trash talk going, as it will keep him in the spotlight. Anything less from him and he becomes as meaningful as Brian Stann is to the UFC (Nice guy and all, but he isn't a great fighter or even worthy of much attention due to his skill set).

"1"

BRO

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 01:32:09 PM »
Sonnen (understand that would have is not good enough) effectively won, and by FLUKE Anderson got the win. One mistake ruined it for Chael in the end.

Ultimately, that's fighting tho.

In the second fight, Chael made another mistake and lost it again.

Again, that's fighting. You make a mistake and lose.

However, against Jon Jones, Chael got beat. No doubt.

Anderson didn't convincingly beat Chael. Chael made mistakes in both fights on his own.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 01:32:53 PM »
  He loses against Silva again if and when they have a third bout.

BRO

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 01:34:07 PM »
Chael was never a top tier fighter. He was relatively unknown for quite some time and then started the trash talk game and BINGO! Dana soon realized that the classic WWE trash talking game is always good for ratings and harpooned him to be a top contender.

Chael needs to keep the trash talk going, as it will keep him in the spotlight. Anything less from him and he becomes as meaningful as Brian Stann is to the UFC (Nice guy and all, but he isn't a great fighter or even worthy of much attention due to his skill set).

"1"

Chael is a good fighter. He has proven this for the most part, being able to either beat or hang with the elite fighters. He hasn't been able to defeat or match the skill of a top level competitor, no.

He is a nice guy, and does a great job of promotion and speaking.

If a third fight were to be made, it would be for money. Dana and Chael both know this, and the fans would love it as well.

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 01:37:39 PM »
And in the third fight, his spinning backfist would connect....      ;D

BRO

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 01:39:20 PM »
And in the third fight, his spinning backfist would connect....      ;D

Anderson saw that from a mile away. He was ducking the left, well before the spinning backfist...

Haha, why Chael tried something new for him in a fight he seemingly knew how to win is bizarre.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 08:36:26 PM »

"1"

I'm not a fan of Sonnen or his skill set but it seems to me you're being a little bit harsh about someone who just submitted Shogun. 

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 09:47:57 PM »
  I have always thought that Chael's weak link was BJJ. He seems to be getting better with submissions. Plus Sho Gun has always given up Guillotines.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 09:52:28 PM »

"1"

You realized he tapped shogun in the first round don't you? That put's him right up there as far as I'm concerned. He also beat the shit out of Anderson Silva until Silva got lucky in the 5th.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 10:34:45 PM »
You realized he tapped shogun in the first round don't you? That put's him right up there as far as I'm concerned. He also beat the shit out of Anderson Silva until Silva got lucky in the 5th.
That 5 round thing does not count, Silva had fractured ribs. Go back to the vid, you can see Anderson get punch 4 times in the face in a row and still didn't cover his face cause he had them covering his ribs.

You try fighting 5 rounds with fucked up ribs. :-\

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 09:02:52 AM »

"1"

no, sonnen has improved drastically in the past 5 years and most importantly adapted.... that along with trash talk propelled him. good fighter clearly.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 09:13:30 AM »

Has Shogun been the same since he left Pride?

Hasn't the absence of PED's seriously altered his overall performance?

I do agree that Chael's win over Shogun is a good win, but it's not as if he beat a current champion.

I also disagree with the take on Anderson Silva. Yes, he (Chael) had the overall advantage in the first Silva fight, but there were also others things working for him (fractured rib on Silva and Chael on PED's). Aside from that, Anderson still beat him. I wouldn't call his win luck either. A triangle choke is still a choke that needs to be properly executed.

The second fight against Silva wasn't even close for Chael. Silva had no fractured ribs and Chael had no PED's and he got steamrolled.

Either way, good for Chael, but also keep in mind that many fighters after 2-3 straight losses are kicked to the curb by Dana. Chael is one of the few that has stuck around even after having lost to Anderson and then Jones. Dana likes the guy and sometimes that is all that matters in the UFC (Look at Quinton, Dana could have cared less for him and now he is at Bellator pretending to fight against Tito next).

I still believe Chael is more of a trash talker than a great fighter. Is he an amazing striker? No. Does he have an amazing ground game? Good, but not great. Does he have great self-promotion and trash talking capabilities that will help him in attaining more opportunities than the other fighters? Sure, 100%.

"1"

P.S. For those who said I was being overly harsh or not realizing that he tapped out Shogun int he first round, realize that my post was made hours before the event even started.  

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 09:40:03 AM »
And in the third fight, his spinning backfist would connect....      ;D

Should have went with the front flip heel kick.

thebrink

• Getbig V
Re: Denial? Sonnen vs. Silva
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 10:45:09 AM »
shogun not the after broken arm and knee surgeries. career basically over

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 10:53:54 AM »
shogun not the after broken arm and knee surgeries. career basically over

Shogun was broken mentally, physically and spiritually after Jon Jones and never recovered

He was great in Pride though

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 01:39:21 PM »
Shogun was broken mentally, physically and spiritually after Jon Jones and never recovered

he was physical clusterfuck via injuries way before that fight...... im sure that loss didnt help though

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 01:40:48 PM »

Hell it looked like he was crying after he was subbed  :-\

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2013, 01:41:04 PM »
he was physical clusterfuck via injuries way before that fight...... im sure that loss didnt help though

Yeah all the knee surgeries didn't help, but the thing that broke the pachyderms back was the Jon Jones-fight.

After that it was no chance of recovering to what he was before. (mentally)

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2013, 01:47:48 PM »
Yeah all the knee surgeries didn't help, but the thing that broke the pachyderms back was the Jon Jones-fight.

After that it was no chance of recovering to what he was before. (mentally)

meh , debatable .....he had a few good performances after that fight.
many fighters come back from beatings fine and rua's mind is tough.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2013, 02:31:48 PM »
 rua had too many wars     

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2013, 03:37:34 PM »
rua had too many wars     

this.