Author Topic: Is there money to be made in the resume/C.V. writing business  (Read 19002 times)

BigCyp

• Getbig V
Is there money to be made in the resume/C.V. writing business
« on: February 13, 2014, 08:45:03 AM »
You know, charging a fee to either develop or redesign someones C.V.?

Anyone here have any experience in this, good or bad...

I have done a few for people recently, more as a favour as I couldn't beleive how bad their resume was lol.

One guy had spent almost a year handing out 100's to different businesses, with almost NOTHING in a year, no calls or letters.

I redesigned his resume and reduced it down to a page and a half (printed double side) and did it on photoshop so it looked very snazzy,

He had 3 calls, 1 telephone interview and 1 job offer within 1 WEEK  8)

Even if I could set my wife up to do this from home it would be some extra cash in the pocket...

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
Re: Is there money to be made in the resume/C.V. writing business
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 08:47:55 AM »
You'd have to find some way to advertise, that would be the hardest part.

Post an example of your work please

Simple Simon

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 08:49:24 AM »
no

im speaking as an employer

within a minute of interviewing someone I know if they wrote their cv

if I cant correlate the cv to the person in front of me they don't get the job

the professional ones use ridiculous personal statements

" I am a dynamic and creative individual" etc

I would rather it was basic and honest
T

Simple Simon

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 08:51:25 AM »
no

im speaking as an employer

within a minute of interviewing someone I know if they wrote their cv

if I cant correlate the cv to the person in front of me they don't get the job

the professional ones use ridiculous personal statements

" I am a dynamic and creative individual" etc

I would rather it was basic and honest
If it says that on a guys CV who's coming for a job on door security then its pretty clear he's not wrote it.   ;D

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 08:57:12 AM »
If it says that on a guys CV who's coming for a job on door security then its pretty clear he's not wrote it.   ;D

;D

good point

you would be surprised

reading cvs is as funny as reading get big
T

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 09:01:04 AM »
As an employer, a well written resume will make the difference between an interview with me or not.

Badly written ones go in the bin. On the other hand, well written ones with "Mission statements" and other bullshite in them always get short thrift.

In fact, here's what I generally reject:

1 - Badly formatted
2 - Ones that go on about all the clubs and societies they were in at school
3 - 6 pagers
4 - ones that use flowery language in an attempt to impress
5 - ones that talk about themselves in the third person. You know - "Results-oriented individual looking to excel in the field of..." - it is nothing but meaningless drivel

On the other hand, a good 1-2 page resume that gets straight to the point so that I can actually figure out if they can actually DO THE FUCKING JOB - along with some significant milestones and achievements on the way.

In my opinion, a professional resume writer can help someone immensely. Just some of them are a little OTT in terms of laying it on a bit thick.

I also think the art of a good accompanying letter is dead and buried. Anyone that gets round HR and has a resume on my desk, addressed to me personally will definitely get an interview and they'll be one of the first with a good letter.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 09:12:46 AM »
Thanks guys, solid replies.

The difference with my approach, is that i'm a guy who uses my words very carefully. I absolutely hate the generic guff that i've seen on most of the C.V.'s on some sites, so I wouldn't be going down the pretensious OTT route.

I have a way with words (not so much on getbig as i'm typing as quickly as I can and avoiding my staff catching me wasting the day away  ;D) especially formatting walls of text into short, useful, to the point sentences, and graphic design is something I also have an eye for.

I'm guessing a decent website will cost me £150, with a monthly updating fee on top. Apart from that I would advertise on facebook, twitter, local papers, universities and drop out colleges etc lol.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 09:15:46 AM »

The difference with my approach, is that i'm a guy who uses my words very carefully. I absolutely hate the generic guff that i've seen on most of the C.V.'s on some sites, so I wouldn't be going down the pretensious OTT route.

I have a way with words (not so much on getbig as i'm typing as quickly as I can and avoiding my staff catching me wasting the day away  ;D) especially formatting walls of text into short, useful, to the point sentences, and graphic design is something I also have an eye for.

I'm guessing a decent website will cost me £150, with a monthly updating fee on top. Apart from that I would advertise on facebook, twitter, local papers, universities and drop out colleges etc lol.

you need to budget for some add words too mate

if your website is on page 7 when people search for cv writers you wont get any enquiries

imo try and spread the word and network amongst people you now as a starting point

the gym might be a good place or your religious groups

its worth spending a little more on the website to make it look decent

people form very quick opinions on websites
T

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 09:15:55 AM »
Before I'd even bother with this venture, i'd aim to survey around 100 professional recruiters for some honest feedback on what they love/hate in a C.V.

i'm very systematic, and would rather go the long way about things and know for sure i'm exploiting a gap in the market/improving an existing one. Can't stand seeing businesses start up and close within months because they didn't even bother to do their homework.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • significantly cheaper and federally legal
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 09:16:42 AM »
Leveraging assets

the trainer

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 09:17:30 AM »
You know, charging a fee to either develop or redesign someones C.V.?

Anyone here have any experience in this, good or bad...

I have done a few for people recently, more as a favour as I couldn't beleive how bad their resume was lol.

One guy had spent almost a year handing out 100's to different businesses, with almost NOTHING in a year, no calls or letters.

I redesigned his resume and reduced it down to a page and a half (printed double side) and did it on photoshop so it looked very snazzy,

He had 3 calls, 1 telephone interview and 1 job offer within 1 WEEK  8)

Even if I could set my wife up to do this from home it would be some extra cash in the pocket...

Well you could write resume for g4p bodybuilders promoting their services i am sure you could get some clients here.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 09:18:07 AM »
you need to budget for some add words too mate

if your website is on page 7 when people search for cv writers you wont get any enquiries

imo try and spread the word and network amongst people you now as a starting point

the gym might be a good place or your religious groups

its worth spending a little more on the website to make it look decent

people form very quick opinions on websites

Good points, cheers.

I didn't even bother getting onto page two of the google results when I was looking into some C.V. sites, so yes that would have to have an expenditure.

I could add the words galenikospenis in my website name to attract more females, but this could also garner a lot of unwanted attention from the gay community

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 09:18:46 AM »
References available upon request of peace  ::)
a

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 09:18:58 AM »
Before I'd even bother with this venture, i'd aim to survey around 100 professional recruiters for some honest feedback on what they love/hate in a C.V.

i'm very systematic, and would rather go the long way about things and know for sure i'm exploiting a gap in the market/improving an existing one. Can't stand seeing businesses start up and close within months because they didn't even bother to do their homework.

send me one you have written

and il give you feedback

I recruit security guards through to engineers through to senior managers

ive seen thousands of cvs
T

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 09:19:14 AM »
Well you could write resume for g4p bodybuilders promoting their services i am sure you could get some clients here.

Maybe Simple Simon will let me use his thong/glute shot for my logo?

Simple Simon

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2014, 09:19:39 AM »
Maybe Simple Simon will let me use his thong/glute shot for my logo?
Cost ya.   ;D

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2014, 09:21:41 AM »
send me one you have written

and il give you feedback

I recruit security guards through to engineers through to senior managers

ive seen thousands of cvs

Sending one now, only took me an hour to do and didn't even use photoshop for this one.

The guy gave me a 4 page wall of text on word so I had to get employers interested by the first page - lots of reducing down to do.

This is the guy that got a job within a week of me giving him the PDF file of this (btw his name is actually a pseudonym for spunk lol)

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2014, 09:26:22 AM »
Cost ya.   ;D

;D

No worries, I would have to adjust the picture a bit so your arms look bigger is that ok?  ;D

Jizzacked

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2014, 09:58:02 AM »
This service is generally provided free by universities or various community career workshops etc.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2014, 01:20:56 AM »
This service is generally provided free by universities or various community career workshops etc.

Yes true, but they will give you a BASIC resume that will get binned along with the other 500 sent in for the starbucks job. I'm pitchin more towards professionals that want something that WILL be read, and stand out etc

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2014, 01:23:51 AM »

I hope you include phrases like "The kind of guy that..." and "quite the....", getbig style.  ;D

FredHayekowski

• Getbig II
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2014, 03:04:40 PM »
i went to a recruitment office, for this job i saw online

the job is pretty much the same as my former job but another company (both are US companies world wide)

so they put me on computer to do some sort of IQ test which takes a longass time

in the end they conclude my score for the numbers part is abnormally low and the letters part is abnormally high, personality test is profile they want

and pretty much that was that

i think these shit heads didnt even read my resume ::) i noticed this because she had not a clue about the fact my former job is the same as this one

iq tests of peace

:(
The last test is a personality scale to see if you'll be a 'good worker.'  Complete horsecrap.  The biggest scam is professional hr.  It's a field populated with incompetent workers that generally know next to nothing about interviewing or the subject matter of the job at hand. 

That being said,the best resumes are concise one page documents that show your background and history as applied to the job skills sought for.  You should have several of these tailored to particular job types.

Almost all universities, trade schools and law schools, etc., have career offices that help with resume writing for free (included with tuition).  I would not recommend going into this field to anyone.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2014, 01:26:49 PM »
i went to a recruitment office, for this job i saw online

the job is pretty much the same as my former job but another company (both are US companies world wide)

so they put me on computer to do some sort of IQ test which takes a longass time

in the end they conclude my score for the numbers part is abnormally low and the letters part is abnormally high, personality test is profile they want

and pretty much that was that

i think these shit heads didnt even read my resume ::) i noticed this because she had not a clue about the fact my former job is the same as this one

iq tests of peace

:(

But Leopold you a American diplomat in Havana , don't U remember  ;D & cop in TX  :D
Oh, looks like another female screwed you , how fat was this mama  ;D

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2014, 01:33:17 PM »
it pisses me off when these selection shit heads intentionally invite you just to fill their day

and never really plan on giving you a job

Sad story again  :'(