Author Topic: fighter weigh ins  (Read 1278 times)

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
fighter weigh ins
« on: March 12, 2010, 03:19:36 PM »
on sportscenter right now manny pacquio is weighing in for his fight, why do they put this on tv and why does anybody care?

E
E

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
Re: fighter weigh ins
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 09:14:45 AM »
Boxing fans care. It's just for promotion anyway. They both weigh in, then face each other in a staredown. Trying to encourage more PPV buys.

Should be a pretty exciting fight. Clottey loves to bang and obviously, so does Manny. Still won't buy it, though. Not worth $50 bucks. The only boxing PPV I can see buying is when Mayweather fights Manny, if it ever happens. Floyd needs to stop acting like a bitch and get the fight done. His crap about Manny using PED's is ridiculous. The guy weighs 140 fucking pounds, for christs sake....Makes Floyd look like a pussy.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 02:11:07 PM »
so two guys stripped down to their underwear staring at each other encourages people to buy the ppv?

E
E

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 05:55:38 PM »
so two guys stripped down to their underwear staring at each other encourages people to buy the ppv?

E

Hard-core fans of boxing will buy this PPV. From your point of view, it's clear that you're not a fan on that level. The weigh-in is part of the promotion. The UFC does the same exact thing but boxing has been doing it longer.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 06:13:01 PM »
Hard-core fans of boxing will buy this PPV. From your point of view, it's clear that you're not a fan on that level. The weigh-in is part of the promotion. The UFC does the same exact thing but boxing has been doing it longer.

True.  Back when boxing was relevant, the pre-fight press conference and weigh-in were all highly entertaining parts of the pre-fight promotion. 

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 06:19:53 PM »

they're going to buy it because of a weigh in?  that's all i don't understand, the whole thing is silly and the shoving matches they sometimes have are as real as pro wrestling

as for this fight, i don't care to watch men smaller than the average woman fight

E
E

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 07:26:42 AM »
they're going to buy it because of a weigh in?  that's all i don't understand, the whole thing is silly and the shoving matches they sometimes have are as real as pro wrestling

as for this fight, i don't care to watch men smaller than the average woman fight

E

Fans will buy the fight based on the popularity of the two fighters, mainly Manny(who's the sport's most popular fighter as of right now). The weigh-in is simply a side-show. I agree with you that it's mostly silly with the sometimes fake shoving matches.

As far as Manny being smaller than the average woman....be that as it may, Manny can rip the face off of most men 50 lbs heavier with 3 punches.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 11:23:21 AM »

As far as Manny being smaller than the average woman....be that as it may, Manny can rip the face off of most men 50 lbs heavier with 3 punches.

true but i just can't get into it, i miss the heavyweight days

E
E

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 01:18:40 PM »
true but i just can't get into it, i miss the heavyweight days

E

Not since Lennox Lewis has there been a dominant heavyweight champion. It's all about the middle weight classes these days. Vladimir Klitchko is fighting as often as he can against the division's best, but his level of competion in the heavies is dogshit. Plus, Klitchko has a glass jaw and can get caught against a fighter with a long reach.

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 08:45:58 AM »
Not since Lennox Lewis has there been a dominant heavyweight champion. It's all about the middle weight classes these days. Vladimir Klitchko is fighting as often as he can against the division's best, but his level of competion in the heavies is dogshit. Plus, Klitchko has a glass jaw and can get caught against a fighter with a long reach.

I agree...the lighter classes are pulling the brunt of boxing right now.