Author Topic: Is this the toughest schedule you have ever seen?  (Read 2513 times)

body88

Is this the toughest schedule you have ever seen?
« on: March 12, 2010, 02:59:59 PM »
TBD TBD vs Bengals  :o    
TBD TBD vs Bills    
TBD TBD vs Colts    :o
TBD TBD vs Dolphins    >:( 
TBD TBD vs Jets     :o
TBD TBD vs Packers    :o
TBD TBD vs Ravens   :o 
TBD TBD vs Vikings    :o 
TBD TBD @ Bears    
TBD TBD @ Bills    
TBD TBD @ Dolphins   >:(      
TBD TBD @ Lions    
TBD TBD @ Steelers    :o
TBD TBD @ Jets   :o
TBD TBD @ Browns    
TBD TBD @ Chargers  :o

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
Re: Is this the toughest schedule you have ever seen?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 03:21:38 PM »
nope

2008 steeler schedule

afc south, nfc east, and games against the chargers and pats

E
E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 03:30:00 PM »
Nah.  I'm not a believer in "strenghth of schedule," till after the season.  You never how teams are going to play during the upcoming season. 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 08:51:59 AM »
I agree. Strength of schedule really doesn't hold much weight in today's NFL. Every team has talent and every team can beat you on any given Sunday. It comes to down to play calling, execution, and luck with injuries over the course of the regular season. IMO.

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 12:07:15 PM »
TBD TBD vs Bills    
TBD TBD @ Bears    
TBD TBD @ Bills    
TBD TBD @ Lions    
TBD TBD @ Browns    

Too ez for Dallas!!!!   We'd go 19-0
((-::

body88

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 12:56:07 PM »
Too ez for Dallas!!!!   We'd go 19-0

Or 10-6.

body88

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 01:03:34 PM »
Nah.  I'm not a believer in "strenghth of schedule," till after the season.  You never how teams are going to play during the upcoming season.  

You're right. Judging by the information we have in front of us right now, barring how things might play out, would you rank said schedule as the toughest you've ever seen? I would.

body88

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 01:05:04 PM »
I agree. Strength of schedule really doesn't hold much weight in today's NFL. Every team has talent and every team can beat you on any given Sunday. It comes to down to play calling, execution, and luck with injuries over the course of the regular season. IMO.

Hey buddy. If it's not to much trouble, review the post above and let me know what you think.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 01:57:06 PM »
No trouble at all.

It looks like a brutal schedule on paper. But any one of those teams could suffer a huge falloff in 2010. It's about time the Pats played a tougher schedule anyway.  ;D

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 02:03:40 PM »
TBD TBD vs Bills    
TBD TBD @ Bears    
TBD TBD @ Bills    
TBD TBD @ Lions    
TBD TBD @ Browns    

Actually, this would be the toughest schedule I've ever seen:

TBD vs Ravens
TBD vs Ravens
TBD vs Ravens
TBD vs Ravens
TBD vs Ravens
TBD vs Ravens
TBD vs Ravens
TBD vs Ravens
TBD @ Ravens
TBD @ Ravens
TBD @ Ravens
TBD @ Ravens
TBD @ Ravens
TBD @ Ravens
TBD @ Ravens
TBD @ Ravens

;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 02:37:46 PM »
You're right. Judging by the information we have in front of us right now, barring how things might play out, would you rank said schedule as the toughest you've ever seen? I would.

If we're basing it on last season's results, then yes it's a tough schedule.  Not sure I'd say it is the toughest I've ever seen.  I don't think the league is as good today as ten or twenty years ago.  Parity sucks. 

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 03:28:57 PM »

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 05:27:27 PM »
If we're basing it on last season's results, then yes it's a tough schedule.  Not sure I'd say it is the toughest I've ever seen.  I don't think the league is as good today as ten or twenty years ago.  Parity sucks.  

Strongly disagree, bro. The NFL is better than ever. The players today are light years ahead of the players in the 60's 70's, 80's, and 90's, athletically. 10-20 years ago the same 6 teams won the Superbowl every season. The NFL has no choice but to have parity, considering how much better the players are and with revenue sharing that even the small market teams receive. Free agency, too.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 05:34:49 PM »
If we're basing it on last season's results, then yes it's a tough schedule.  Not sure I'd say it is the toughest I've ever seen.  I don't think the league is as good today as ten or twenty years ago.  Parity sucks. 

why?

because your 49ers were winning super bowls and contending every year?

E
E

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 05:41:34 PM »
why?

E

Bingo. From 1981 to 1998, the 49ers pretty much contended every season. That's a long stretch of time.

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 07:16:01 PM »
Bingo. From 1981 to 1998, the 49ers pretty much contended every season. That's a long stretch of time.
Yeah the 80's were pretty much Frisco and Washington.  Dallas went dead and no where after losing the NFC's to the Eagles, 49ers and Wash.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 10:40:48 AM »
Strongly disagree, bro. The NFL is better than ever. The players today are light years ahead of the players in the 60's 70's, 80's, and 90's, athletically. 10-20 years ago the same 6 teams won the Superbowl every season. The NFL has no choice but to have parity, considering how much better the players are and with revenue sharing that even the small market teams receive. Free agency, too.

You're talking about the advances in the athlete.  I agree today's athletes are bigger, stronger, and faster.  I'm talking about team quality and quality play.  Like the NBA, I think the high quality teams and exceptional team play has declined.  It's due in large part to free agency and the salary cap. 

The fact more teams can compete doesn't mean they're playing better football.  For example, there might be one or two teams from the past season that could compete with the Cowboys and Niners of the late 80s/early 90s.  We won't see teams like that anymore.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 10:42:35 AM »
why?

E

Partly.   :)

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 01:28:01 PM »
why do people always think that teams from the past would beat teams from today? 

for example how does jordan and pippen's bulls defend against a prime shaq or duncan?   people always seemed to be biased towards the teams they grew up with, they almost seem offended when you go against the teams from "in my day", the bulls never faced teams as good as the lakers and spurs of this decade

why won't we see teams like that anymore?  the pats won 3 super bowls and their best team went 18 -1, that 2007 team would beat anybody in history if both teams were at full strength

i don't see how anybody can think there was better football in the 80's and 90's, it was too predictable back then, not as bad as the nba but still i don't remember being surprised by any super bowl winner, aside from denver beating green bay

i don't know why anybody would want to see the same exact teams each year contending, unless it is your team and your 49ers were a contender every year hence your argument :)

E
E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2010, 02:10:49 PM »
I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, I tend to believe what I see.  The Celtics with Bird, McHale, the Chief, and DJ were as good or better as any team in the NBA today.  Same is true of the Lakers with Magic, Kareem, and Worthy.  They were more fundamentally sound.  They played better team ball.  And they had multiple Hall of Fame players on their teams.  (I hate the Celtics.)    

Regarding the NFL, it's not just about me being a Niner fan.  I absolutely hate the Cowboys.  Despite my hatred, I can see that Aikman, Smith, Irvin, Harper, Novacek, and the O-line is/was one of the greatest teams in NFL history.  Better than most of what we see today.  

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2010, 02:45:28 PM »
I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, I tend to believe what I see.  The Celtics with Bird, McHale, the Chief, and DJ were as good or better as any team in the NBA today.  Same is true of the Lakers with Magic, Kareem, and Worthy.  They were more fundamentally sound.  They played better team ball.  And they have multiple Hall of Fame players on their teams.  (I hate the Celtics.)   

Regarding the NFL, it's about me being a Niner fan.  I absolutely hate the Cowboys.  Despite my hatred, I can see that Aikman, Smith, Irvin, Harper, Novacek, and the O-line is/was one of the greatest teams in NFL history.  Better than most of what we see today. 

so how does having one dominant team for a few years mean the entire league is better?

E
E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2010, 03:38:23 PM »
so how does having one dominant team for a few years mean the entire league is better?

E

I don't really think the entire league is better.  Because of the salary cap and free agency, there are more "good" teams in the league.  It's probably more accurate for me to say the upper echelon teams were better.  They were also more entertaining.

But this is all a matter of opinion.  Some fans like to see a lot of mediocre teams fighting it out.  I like to see loaded teams playing at the highest levels.  Doesn't have to be my favorite teams either.  That's why I hate the salary cap.       

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2010, 04:02:29 PM »
I don't really think the entire league is better.  Because of the salary cap and free agency, there are more "good" teams in the league.  It's probably more accurate for me to say the upper echelon teams were better.  They were also more entertaining.

But this is all a matter of opinion.  Some fans like to see a lot of mediocre teams fighting it out.  I like to see loaded teams playing at the highest levels.  Doesn't have to be my favorite teams either.  That's why I hate the salary cap.       

more entertaining how?  the ball is thrown much more today, you thought running the ball was more entertaining?  you thought 50 - 10 super bowl scores were entertaining?  more entertaining personalities?   

how were there more "loaded" teams?  two teams won multiple super bowls this decade, two teams won multiple super bowls in the 90's, i think 2 did in the 80's

i think there's a lot less bad teams nowadays, i don't see how that is a negative

i just think the 49ers lack of success today is clouding your judgment, you didn't notice that most teams and fans realized they had no chance when the season started in the 80's and 90's

people have this bad habit of thinking the past was the "good ol days" but as a 49ers fan it's understandable :)

E

E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2010, 05:57:29 PM »
more entertaining how?  the ball is thrown much more today, you thought running the ball was more entertaining?  you thought 50 - 10 super bowl scores were entertaining?  more entertaining personalities?   

how were there more "loaded" teams?  two teams won multiple super bowls this decade, two teams won multiple super bowls in the 90's, i think 2 did in the 80's

i think there's a lot less bad teams nowadays, i don't see how that is a negative

i just think the 49ers lack of success today is clouding your judgment, you didn't notice that most teams and fans realized they had no chance when the season started in the 80's and 90's

people have this bad habit of thinking the past was the "good ol days" but as a 49ers fan it's understandable :)

E

lol.  You really want it to be true.   :)   I can't help you there.  All I can do is give you my opinion.  Spin it however you choose. 

Regarding your questions, throwing the ball doesn't make a game entertaining to me.  Seeing terrific athletes perform as a team at the highest level is entertaining to me.  That's why I could appreciate a fullback like Moose, even though I hated him.  That's why watching Montana was so nice.  He was the best QB to ever play the game IMO.  Seeing him and the greatest WR to ever play (Rice) play together was incredibliy entertaining.  Just like it was entertaining to watch the Dallas offense play at its highest level. 

Like I said, I don't really care to see fewer bad teams, or more average teams battling each other.  Just a personal preference. 

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2010, 06:46:50 PM »
I wish the schedule was out   yet   or at least the preseason schedule. The NFL spends all this time at some dumb meeting babbling about satuff and usually my owner or Al Davis says something to piss everyone off. All this takes place before they decide on :who plays who when?  I need to know so I can make my travel plans early.