Author Topic: Arnold Schwarzenegger - 1980 only - the lean dry champ  (Read 602567 times)

Methyl m1ke

• Getbig IV
Re: Arnold Schwarzenegger - 1980 only - the lean dry champ
« Reply #1475 on: April 07, 2020, 01:18:09 PM »

Sufficient time under adequate tension is the main factor in hypertrophy. To guarantee you have sufficient time it is easier to do many sets with an adequate resistance.

The intense last rep or two are what counts and these accumulate until a training stimulus is achieved. Thus, we find most big guys doing heaps of sets. 

Training with intensity without considering the time under tension isn't going to be optimum for maximum hypertrophy.

If we look at the guys who really pushed the intensity factor we find that they tore muscles. Dorian, Ronnie, Franco, and others.

Intensity is one factor in hypertrophy. A certain threshold must be reached to stimulate growth.

Ronnie tore which muscles again?

On to your other theory regarding frequency i believe the following- calves abs forearms can be hit every other day biceps triceps deltoids every two days lats chest traps quads hams every 3 days. I get best results when i train accordingly. Yes sometimes i train sore muscles and they respond just fine.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #1476 on: April 07, 2020, 05:56:41 PM »
Ronnie tore which muscles again?

On to your other theory regarding frequency i believe the following- calves abs forearms can be hit every other day biceps triceps deltoids every two days lats chest traps quads hams every 3 days. I get best results when i train accordingly. Yes sometimes i train sore muscles and they respond just fine.

What I meant about injuries was that extreme intensity which includes heavy singles, is not a safe way to train. So any theory of maximum hypertrophy has to be safe.

Yes, one has to continually do 'extraordinary' things to stimulate more growth however those things shouldn't result in injuries. Once you tear a muscle you more or less

end your bodybuilding career. Guys like Dorian were gifted titles which was a shame. Ronnie trained way too heavy for way too long. We all know the result.

Arthur Jones told us to build muscle not demonstrate strength. So singles, even though good for the ego, are not recommended.

One of the problems is that connective tissue might recover slower than muscles fibers.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #1477 on: April 07, 2020, 06:28:03 PM »

The consideration that I also took into account was how swimmers and track athletes trained. They train daily and still manage to improve. How is that possible if what you say is true? Would you discard decades of experience and train the swimmers and sprinters every 5th day? Well, I doubt any swimming coach would even entertain that protocol. The point is how come they improve if they train hard daily for years? I know they taper off before competitions but daily training seems to be what everyone does.

If one is growing rapidly the euphoria is substantial. In 1999 I was running to the gym for those brutal workouts...pain and all. I knew I would keep growing. I got quite strong over the month in arms and calves.
Would I have grown as much had I followed your protocol? I don't think so. It is a pity that scientists haven't solved these problems. It would be refreshing to know for sure exactly what to do. I don't subscribe to the notion that
everyone is different. Well, there are individual differences of course even re fibre composition. However the theory of hypertrophy has to take differences into account and provide a theory that is applicable to everyone who trains.

And how much muscle do swimmers and runners put on? You are comparing muscle building to a skill. Swimmers practice every day to get better. They find superior and more efficient ways to swim. Their bodies develop a neurological efficiency that you only get by practice. I know this first hand. The first time I tried to execute an armbar from the mount position it was difficult for me. As I did it more and more I got better. As the years went by I got even better to the point where it was just second nature. When I was first learning Judo the instructor told me that you have to practice a throw at least a thousand times before you can become competent. It will take many years after that before you can become a master. It has nothing to do with strength and muscle hypertrophy. If anybody thinks they can accelerate the development of their quads by squatting every day at full intensity is in for a rude awakening.

You are always preoccupied with theories. I am concerned far more with results. No matter how much you want to discount and diminish my approach to calf training the fact remains that I accomplished something few people ever have. To get a muscle group, infamous for being the most stubborn and most resistant to change and development, that went from being below average to an advance stage of development.  Other than Arnold, I know of nobody else, whether a recreational lifter to a seasoned pro, who has made such a dramatic improvement. You haven't done it. No one reading this thread has done it. And none of you know of anybody who has done it. Only me. Someone who after 48 years of continuous training has never shown any propensity to be able to develop any appreciable amount of muscle mass. Even when I once bulked up to 230 lbs taking Ciba Dianabol and Organon Deca prescribe by Dr. Walzack I was just fat.

Instead of criticizing me and trying to find fault in my protocol, you should get a group of investors to sponsor me to write a book. I mean, if I can do it why couldn't someone far more gifted like Deter Jackson do it too?

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #1478 on: April 07, 2020, 06:45:22 PM »
And how much muscle do swimmers and runners put on? You are comparing muscle building to a skill. Swimmers practice every day to get better. They find superior and more efficient ways to swim. Their bodies develop a neurological efficiency that you only get by practice. I know this first hand. The first time I tried to execute an armbar from the mount position it was difficult for me. As I did it more and more I got better. As the years went by I got even better to the point where it was just second nature. When I was first learning Judo the instructor told me that you have to practice a throw at least a thousand times before you can become competent. It will take many years after that before you can become a master. It has nothing to do with strength and muscle hypertrophy. If anybody thinks they can accelerate the development of their quads by squatting every day at full intensity is in for a rude awakening.

You are always preoccupied with theories. I am concerned far more with results. No matter how much you want to discount and diminish my approach to calf training the fact remains that I accomplished something few people ever have. To get a muscle group, infamous for being the most stubborn and most resistant to change and development, that went from being below average to an advance stage of development.  Other than Arnold, I know of nobody else, whether a recreational lifter to a seasoned pro, who has made such a dramatic improvement. You haven't done it. No one reading this thread has done it. And none of you know of anybody who has done it. Only me. Someone who after 48 years of continuous training has never shown any propensity to be able to develop any appreciable amount of muscle mass. Even when I once bulked up to 230 lbs taking Ciba Dianabol and Organon Deca prescribe by Dr. Walzack I was just fat.

Instead of criticizing me and trying to find fault in my protocol, you should get a group of investors to sponsor me to write a book. I mean, if I can do it why couldn't someone far more gifted like Deter Jackson do it too?

You make some good points.
Have you ever tried the same type of training protocol on another body part
To see if the results could be duplicated- if they could you’d very much be onto a Winner.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #1479 on: April 07, 2020, 07:03:10 PM »

Any criticism from me is part of the scientific process not a personal attack on you or anyone else. Either something is true or it is not. Mike Mentzer also believed this.

You and I both came to embrace a DOMS kind of training where we used the side effect to gauge our progress...no pain, little gain. Sure, DOMS is not necessary but

that wasn't my point. I took a completely different approach because I simply stopped growing doing triceps press downs. I was putting the triceps under severe tension

for an adequate amount of time but growth ceased. I then changed exercises and voila DOMS. I mean, how in the heck can DOMS appear in a muscle that is being

trained in an extreme fashion previously? That experience literally turned a switch on in my head. I then wondered what if one could always trigger DOMS in a muscle?

Would that muscle keep growing rapidly? That is what I discovered in 1999. I got sore triceps and kept them sore for a whole month. The result was a one inch gain

in my arms to a size bigger than ever before.

When I was training arms I could get my triceps and calves sore and keep them sore. Biceps were another story. Not so easy with them but possible if you do the right things.

We all saluted your calves and method. As Illuminati asks, and I asked you before on here recently, did your method work on other body parts? I suggested you try to get

your arms an inch bigger using your protocols, etc. Show us all what is possible with your method.

Methyl m1ke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1480 on: April 07, 2020, 07:03:43 PM »

What I meant about injuries was that extreme intensity which includes heavy singles, is not a safe way to train. So any theory of maximum hypertrophy has to be safe.

Yes, one has to continually do 'extraordinary' things to stimulate more growth however those things shouldn't result in injuries. Once you tear a muscle you more or less

end your bodybuilding career. Guys like Dorian were gifted titles which was a shame. Ronnie trained way too heavy for way too long. We all know the result.

Arthur Jones told us to build muscle not demonstrate strength. So singles, even though good for the ego, are not recommended.

One of the problems is that connective tissue might recover slower than muscles fibers.

Dorian suffered a couple injuries training too heavy WHILE BADLY DEPLETED WEEKS BEFORE CONTESTS. He said so himself, many times. Had he cut back a little while his bodyfat was low he would have been fine.

I have trained heavy since i was 14 or 15 years old. Zero injuries. I am 39 now.

Oh and Ronnie blew a disk in 97 squatting. Not that it really matters.

Your attempts to scare people away from heavy lifting because you tore a biceps deadlifting (lol) is lame and I encourage you to stop.

Methyl m1ke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1481 on: April 07, 2020, 07:08:01 PM »

Why are you wasting your time arguing? The man cant see that there is no correlation betweeen the physiques of swimmers vs runners and bodybuilders. Doesnt that tell you enough?

Also I believe Dorian Yates said when he turned pro his back was just ok but after losing to Benaziza he went all out to get his back so big nobody would beat him again. Or something like that. His back went from ok to world class to best ever in like one or two years. Which is incredible when you think about it.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #1482 on: April 07, 2020, 07:28:11 PM »
Dorian suffered a couple injuries training too heavy WHILE BADLY DEPLETED WEEKS BEFORE CONTESTS. He said so himself, many times. Had he cut back a little while his bodyfat was low he would have been fine.

I have trained heavy since i was 14 or 15 years old. Zero injuries. I am 39 now.

Oh and Ronnie blew a disk in 97 squatting. Not that it really matters.

Your attempts to scare people away from heavy lifting because you tore a biceps deadlifting (lol) is lame and I encourage you to stop.

If what I write prevents some from tearing muscles then I have done them a good service. Dead lifting is a dangerous exercise, period. I don't recommend doing them.

If you insist on doing deadlifts don't do singles or doubles or triples. Keep the reps higher. Also, use an over bar grip for both hands. That way you lessen the risk of

tearing a biceps.

Let's face it, bodybuilding is an extreme enterprise that takes years and even decades to build a physique. We all try to use more resistance. There is no point doing

powerlifting. Instead, do many sets of 10 to 15 reps with your maximum resistance.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #1483 on: April 07, 2020, 07:31:15 PM »
Why are you wasting your time arguing? The man cant see that there is no correlation between the physiques of swimmers vs runners and bodybuilders. Doesnt that tell you enough?

Unbelievable. My question is simple and not answered by Pellius. How on earth do sprinters in the pool or track improve if they train at least 5 days a week?

It isn't just a matter of efficiency and technique. Real gains in power must occur and that involves strength.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #1484 on: April 07, 2020, 07:44:36 PM »
You make some good points.
Have you ever tried the same type of training protocol on another body part
To see if the results could be duplicated- if they could you’d very much be onto a Winner.

Vince asked me that before. No, I haven't for several reasons. It wouldn't be practical for large muscle groups like chest, back, especially quads. I would have to a full time strong spotter to help me with the force reps and negatives. Also, with those large muscle groups, I don't think the body could endure such intensity for very long. The calves are a relatively small muscle group and it should be noted that despite putting on a good three inches on my calves there was no change in bodyweight. I think it would be feasible for biceps or triceps (not at the same time) and I considered it but to be honest I just don't have it in me to go through that again. There was a lot more to it than just sets and reps. There was a very involved mental process that I wouldn't be able to duplicate. You have to have this do or die sense of urgency. Mentzer once referenced Willam James' "The Energies of Man" in which he speaks of a state of mind referred to as the "idea of necessity". When your back is against the wall and the fight or flight response kicks in. A sense of urgent desperation forcing you to a level and state of mind you could never go to under normal circumstances.

There is no way I could ever get that excited and motivated just to improve a muscle group. It's seems so trivia and shallow. I don't know why I became so obsessed with calves after training for twenty years and was already in my mid- thirties. I imagine, as with all things, it was just a combination of events that put me in this very unhealthy and desperate state of mind. I look back at that time with grave ambivalence.

Since I'm now trying to make due training at home I decided last night, just for old times sake, to dig up that old dictionary, the only training tool I used to train my
calves. I found it tucked away in an old storage cardboard box. I kind of chuckled looking at. I opened it up where I signed and recorded the date I got it (something I do with all books I get) and some scribble words that I had to look up and wanted to remember. When I die and someone holds that dictionary in hand, they would have no idea what I put that poor dictionary through. About one and a half years of my bare feet on it doing calf raises. I set it up under a door jam like I use to do and crank out a few reps. It had that different feeling again then when I do them in the gym. It was just like old times.

Kooky and disturbing times at that.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #1485 on: April 07, 2020, 07:54:54 PM »
Here is a modified biceps machine that I fashioned from an old machine given to me by Paul Graham. It was a machine shell that was supposed to have an electric motor for resistance.

I used the handles, seat and bearings but everything else I replaced. Had to move the pivot point as it was 2 inches out. Now it works well and I use it along with my biceps-supinator.

When I have more free space I will set up my other arm machines. I am thinking about building a new triceps machine. I miss building new gym equipment.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #1486 on: April 07, 2020, 07:59:47 PM »

If what I write prevents some from tearing muscles then I have done them a good service. Dead lifting is a dangerous exercise, period. I don't recommend doing them.

If you insist on doing deadlifts don't do singles or doubles or triples. Keep the reps higher. Also, use an over bar grip for both hands. That way you lessen the risk of

tearing a biceps.

Let's face it, bodybuilding is an extreme enterprise that takes years and even decades to build a physique. We all try to use more resistance. There is no point doing

powerlifting. Instead, do many sets of 10 to 15 reps with your maximum resistance.

Jones' considered the stiff leg deadlift to be one of the few really good free weight exercises but it has to be done correctly. Of course, it's not a true "stiff leg" in the sense that the knees are locked straight. No, and they should be slightly bent. And your grip should not be the traditional deadlift grip. Both palms should be facing your legs. When one hand is turned out like when you do barbell curls that's when you pull more directly at your bicep and put it in danger for injury and how most biceps are torn. And, it's not the load per se that causes injuries it's the explosive movements and the degradation of form resulting from handing weights too heavy for you to control properly that causes injury. That's why properly constructed machines are always safer. The heavy weight doesn't really affect the form nearly as much as free weights. Of course, this is not going to save you if you still use explosive movements. It's not the heavy weight but rather the difference in stress levels on the tensile strength of the tissue caused by acceleration rather than velocity. The difference between pressing your fist against a brick wall with all your might and punching the wall at full force.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #1487 on: April 07, 2020, 08:05:10 PM »
Back on topic. No matter what the newer generation thinks, since they go by 1980 and even 1975, when Arnold was not at his peak, his legs were the very best of his generation.

Methyl m1ke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1488 on: April 08, 2020, 01:03:23 AM »
Back on topic. No matter what the newer generation thinks, since they go by 1980 and even 1975, when Arnold was not at his peak, his legs were the very best of his generation.

That picture is photoshopped. If you want me to believe otherwise lets see a few more from that tine period where they look that good.

Methyl m1ke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1489 on: April 08, 2020, 01:05:29 AM »

Unbelievable. My question is simple and not answered by Pellius. How on earth do sprinters in the pool or track improve if they train at least 5 days a week?

It isn't just a matter of efficiency and technique. Real gains in power must occur and that involves strength.

Strength is increased by many more factors than just bigger muscles basile...

Methyl m1ke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1490 on: April 08, 2020, 01:07:16 AM »

tearing a biceps.

I have never heard of anyone injuring themselves deadlifting except you.

I would love to see you deadlift your absolute max for 10-15 reps. Good luck with that.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #1491 on: April 08, 2020, 01:20:40 AM »

The problem with you, Vincent, is that you are so dogmatic and so closed-minded, the very thing that you accuse others of, that you only hear what you want to hear. I clearly answered your question beginning with the third sentence in my first paragraph. You just didn't like the answer. You are so wrong that people involved in sports that require skill get better by getting stronger. If it was due to strength and power why don't they get bigger and more muscular? How is it that Olympic and Powerlifers move more weight while remaining in the same weight class?

You have never been seriously involved in any sport for any length of time so you really don't have a clue. The fact is, that as you get more skilled you lose less strength and energy. When I started Jiu-Jitsu I was always getting winded despite having a very intensive training regime doing high-intensity circuit training sucking wind for a solid hour as well as doing sprints uphill on soft sand. In addition, rolling on the mat itself was utterly exhausting. It was only after I got more experience that I could perform the exact same movement, we all do basically the same movements and positions, but I did so more efficiently and with less strength and power even though wrestling is a very physical activity requiring you to exert virtually all your muscles to some extent at the same time.

It is, in fact using your body more efficiently with better and more refined techniques.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #1492 on: April 08, 2020, 01:35:15 AM »
That picture is photoshopped. If you want me to believe otherwise lets see a few more from that tine period where they look that good.

Seriously, they are not hard to find.

Who do you think had better overall leg development during Arnold's prime competitive years (1970-75)?

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1493 on: April 08, 2020, 03:46:49 PM »
Arnold's legs, same contest, 1973 Mr. Olympia

Methyl m1ke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1494 on: April 08, 2020, 05:42:09 PM »
Seriously, they are not hard to find.

Who do you think had better overall leg development during Arnold's prime competitive years (1970-75)?

Didnt realize Arnies calves were that good.

Carry on then.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #1495 on: April 08, 2020, 06:29:07 PM »
The problem with you, Vincent, is that you are so dogmatic and so closed-minded, the very thing that you accuse others of, that you only hear what you want to hear. I clearly answered your question beginning with the third sentence in my first paragraph. You just didn't like the answer. You are so wrong that people involved in sports that require skill get better by getting stronger. If it was due to strength and power why don't they get bigger and more muscular? How is it that Olympic and Powerlifers move more weight while remaining in the same weight class?

You have never been seriously involved in any sport for any length of time so you really don't have a clue. The fact is, that as you get more skilled you lose less strength and energy. When I started Jiu-Jitsu I was always getting winded despite having a very intensive training regime doing high-intensity circuit training sucking wind for a solid hour as well as doing sprints uphill on soft sand. In addition, rolling on the mat itself was utterly exhausting. It was only after I got more experience that I could perform the exact same movement, we all do basically the same movements and positions, but I did so more efficiently and with less strength and power even though wrestling is a very physical activity requiring you to exert virtually all your muscles to some extent at the same time.

It is, in fact using your body more efficiently with better and more refined techniques.

What is this accusation of being dogmatic and having a closed mind? You do exactly what I do....stick to your ideas. I stick to mine until they have been refuted or falsified. That hasn't happened here.

I mentioned sprinting because I wanted to show that it is possible to make gains while not recovering. Have you discussed frequency with coaches? Would be interesting.

So what I claim is that re growing as rapidly as possible...drug free...one should avoid the repeated bout effect and retrain every 3rd day. I advocate getting DOMS and retaining that soreness for periods of a month or perhaps 6 weeks.

This isn't an easy method but it is one that should deliver the goods.

What I suggest is controversial because for 40 years I believed, like almost everyone else, that DOMS was something to avoid. l had gentle programs at our gym where we introduced resistance training. Usually the programs

involved one set per muscle group. If you research DOMS you discover that most studies are concerned about reducing the pain state. A few studies showed that DOMS was associated with remodelling or muscular growth.

Since scientists are hardly interested in maximum muscular hypertrophy there are no long term studies involving DOMS or anything else for bodybuilders.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #1496 on: April 08, 2020, 06:35:00 PM »

Most people would consider that Tom Platz had the best legs of Arnold's generation. I would include Sergio Oliva as well.

Teutonic Knight 1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1497 on: April 09, 2020, 01:07:52 AM »
Here is a modified biceps machine that I fashioned from an old machine given to me by Paul Graham. It was a machine shell that was supposed to have an electric motor for resistance.

I used the handles, seat and bearings but everything else I replaced. Had to move the pivot point as it was 2 inches out. Now it works well and I use it along with my biceps-supinator.

When I have more free space I will set up my other arm machines. I am thinking about building a new triceps machine. I miss building new gym equipment.

So where is that gym located !.

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1498 on: April 09, 2020, 02:10:22 AM »

Most people would consider that Tom Platz had the best legs of Arnold's generation. I would include Sergio Oliva as well.

Tom Platz turned pro in 1978 after winning the Mr. Universe. Arnold won the Olympia from 1970-1975 (and then came back for one more contest in 1980).

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #1499 on: April 09, 2020, 04:04:41 AM »

What is this accusation of being dogmatic and having a closed mind? You do exactly what I do....stick to your ideas. I stick to mine until they have been refuted or falsified. That hasn't happened here.

I mentioned sprinting because I wanted to show that it is possible to make gains while not recovering. Have you discussed frequency with coaches? Would be interesting.

So what I claim is that re growing as rapidly as possible...drug free...one should avoid the repeated bout effect and retrain every 3rd day. I advocate getting DOMS and retaining that soreness for periods of a month or perhaps 6 weeks.

This isn't an easy method but it is one that should deliver the goods.

What I suggest is controversial because for 40 years I believed, like almost everyone else, that DOMS was something to avoid. l had gentle programs at our gym where we introduced resistance training. Usually the programs

involved one set per muscle group. If you research DOMS you discover that most studies are concerned about reducing the pain state. A few studies showed that DOMS was associated with remodelling or muscular growth.

Since scientists are hardly interested in maximum muscular hypertrophy there are no long term studies involving DOMS or anything else for bodybuilders.

Wrong again. I've change training protocol many times over the years and decades. I've just recently gone to a two day a week routine for the last year. I've experimented with every conceivable routine. Training six days/wk, 3x/wk each bodypart. I've change my diet dramatically in the last few years cutting protein intake by more than half.

You conflate skill with "gains". We are talking gains in muscle mass, not runner faster or throwing farther. Anybody can see this except you. That's why a previous poster who is very familiar with you advise me to not to bother with you. You are the broken record preaching the same thing for decades with zero proof. There is nobody here that isn't sick of that same old tune. Of course you just dismiss everybody as faux experts whereas in fact you, and only you, have proclaimed himself as an expert in muscle hypertrophy.

Nobody needs to refute your ideas. The onus is on you to prove it. Why don't you understand that? You always claim to use scientific reasoning. I might as well say that if you eat cabbage and grass clippings that it will cure cancer and you haven't proved it doesn't. You give an untested theory with the qualification that "it SHOULD deliver the goods." Should? Well, I did deliver the goods. Did something that very, very few people have ever done. No one I know. No one you know. No one anybody reading this knows.

And you are also wrong that the majority of serious lifters/bbers avoid DOMS. Everyone I know over the 48 years of continuous training at various gyms considers DOMS as proof and feedback that they worked the muscle hard and intensely. I continually hear athletes brag about how sore they are from a previous workout.

You seemingly have zero ability for self-reflection. You have credibility with no one here. NO ONE. But instead of looking into yourself you just blame the world for not understanding and appreciating your genius.

And you will take this to your grave and no one will care.