Author Topic: Shawn Ray's First Experiences as a Promoters  (Read 21527 times)

Jujoshu

• Getbig III
  • Front Row Tickets
Re: Putting a comedian onstage between sections
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2006, 07:25:36 PM »
I hear Mickey Rooney is looking for work.

On a serious note-
It's pretty simple. The general public gets interested in
sporting events that involve athletic feats acted out. Standing around
posing or flexing is only going to interest a certain subculture.
Bodybuilding fans can appreciate the preparation and training that go
into preparing for shows, but a lot of the general population feel
repulsed by serious bodybuilders. To attract more people you've got
to provide better entertainment. This is why people will tune into
poker and not bodybuilding. They feel the players control the cards
so to speak. Who wants to watch a show that is going to be dictated
by politics, personal favs, and buttkissing?

Why not combine serious bodybuilding shows with something like the UFC.

Move the figure, fitness, and God knows what else out of Pro bodybuilding and
let them sponsor their own contests to people truly interested. Most pro bodybuilding
fans don't want to sit thru 5 hours of ballerina jumping to get to the main event.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Shawn - marketing next year's colo pro
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2006, 07:27:09 PM »

If you told the truth, I'd probably say what I do...but.......you're online statistics at getbig seem to tell a different story from your post.

Sure, I'm on getbig a lot.  There are a lot of opportunities here! And it's interesting conversation. I learn a lot about not only the BBing industry, but also diverse views of many.  Seriously, if you're not just goofing off, you can learn a ton about people here. It's interesting- almost like a little colony of people that are remarkably different yet loosely held together by their love of the sport and/or getting in shape.  It's an interesting place.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2006, 07:29:45 PM »
and it doesn't take very long to hit a few local businesses while I'm doing chores and talk to a few ppl.  I might stop for groceries and drop off my suit at the dry cleaners and maybe check out the pet shop or cookie store or travel agency in the plaza.  Walk in, see what they sell, and see if anything comes up.  It's easy to make a living if you are bright, ambitious, and willing to work long hours. Plus I am now typing at about 100 WPM, so it doesn't take long to check in and post a few times on getbig during the day when i'm bored.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
Re: Putting a comedian onstage between sections
« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2006, 07:29:47 PM »
i heard mencia in there. let me do mencia's entire fucking act for you. "where are all the beaners? we know beaners are all the ones in jail lifting weights, and where do you think all of those steroids come from? guy guy bo guy. DEE DEE DEE!!!"

there you go.

thisiskeith12

« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2006, 08:10:08 PM »
Again, as I have stated before, I don't you can just put a bodybuilding show on in any big city. I think the United States has certain areas where a great interest of bodybuilding exists.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
Re: Shawn Ray: First experience as a promoter?
« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2006, 10:20:14 PM »
Damn, equo... I toss around ideas and engage in discussions... but I respect Lift, Jeff, and especially Shawn for working their asses off for this show.  Seriously.   I am not blindly criticizing.  I am tossing out ideas for how it can improve next time.  I have (albeit a rocky one!) a relationship with Lift and Shawn that could presumably open door some day, who knows.  I could have a booth at the expo next year, who knows... I want them to succeed, and any ideas I toss out there for discussion are only to make next year's recipe for success a better one. 

I don't worry about tact and being buddy buddy- there are a million people out there who specialize in that!  Results are what matter.

That's cool, in all honesty you should take a booth for next year and promote your $300 website, I'm sure you could sign up at least 40-50 competitors (bodybuilding and especially fitness) for websites. Most competitors know nothing about the websites, php, scripting, perl, flash, etc. and probably end up getting suckered in by some big corporate web firm to have site done for $5-10k, I honestly think you would make a killing at a place like a bodybuilding show, consider it ;)

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2006, 10:28:30 PM »
your life must be really shit ::)

Why do you say that.  What an I saying that is wrong.  I promoted shows and bigger than this one.  SO I basically know what I am talking about.  What is the name of the show you promoted.  There is not one thing that Sean wnet through that I didn't except handing out money.  And I didn't hire anyone to help me, I did everything single thing needed to be done myself.  Other than any setting up of stage or booths I did everythign else.  So basically unless you or anyone else on here has actually promoted a show then you really are going on nothing but speculation and heresay.  I go on the exact facts.  I said from day one what would happen and it did exactly like I said.  Not one surprise to me.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2006, 10:39:26 PM »
That's cool, in all honesty you should take a booth for next year and promote your $300 website, I'm sure you could sign up at least 40-50 competitors (bodybuilding and especially fitness) for websites. Most competitors know nothing about the websites, php, scripting, perl, flash, etc. and probably end up getting suckered in by some big corporate web firm to have site done for $5-10k, I honestly think you would make a killing at a place like a bodybuilding show, consider it ;)

Thinking about it. 

I wonder if I could make twice as much $ by also letting people punch me for $20.  Maybe a 320combo.com?

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2006, 10:42:53 PM »
Thinking about it. 

I wonder if I could make twice as much $ by also letting people punch me for $20.  Maybe a 320combo.com?

LOL, I seriously doubt anyone would actually come up to you and wanna start shit, most of these computer cowboys are 150lbs. soaking wet. I'm sure a few pro's might spread shit about you but then again that would just interest people to come talk to you and see what all the fuss is about, you know the old adage; there's no such thing as bad publicity

;)

Shawn Ray

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • Digital Muscle Media
« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2006, 11:41:21 PM »
Onlyme, making his 100 th Sean Ray Comparision!
Anyone starting to see the weirdness is his O B S E S S I O N with me or am I simply trippin............ ???

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2006, 11:42:40 PM »
Shawn, you wanna trade for weedouttheweek?

I like Keith.  However the weedouttheweek kid is all over my ass 24/7.

Shawn Ray

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • Digital Muscle Media
« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2006, 11:53:00 PM »
No thanks, Keith makes it worth my time here, dude is Melting Down faster than Anna Nicole Smith! ;D

Cold

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2006, 12:07:06 AM »
Onlyme why are you so negative ALL THE TIMES? U obviously hold grudges against Shawn. Man we're tired of you.

Shawn Ray

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • Digital Muscle Media
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2006, 12:08:34 AM »
He still has nice lines and makes me laugh ;D

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2006, 12:42:55 AM »
Onlyme why are you so negative ALL THE TIMES? U obviously hold grudges against Shawn. Man we're tired of you.

Listen to your mommy then and go to bed.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #90 on: May 15, 2006, 12:48:41 AM »

Seanie, just think your show sucked more than mine.  And from the way you look in the pictures, on TV, on stage and in those ghetto sweatsuits you are just as fat as me just allot shorter.  When is that seminar you are giving on BB Show Promotion.  That should be funnier than all hell.  You should do a DVD on it.  The title can be How to Waste Spend Sponsor Money Not Your Own and Not Come Close to Filling the House

By the way, the best way to hide your pain is to laugh.  So at least you are doing one thing right.  Great show by the way ::)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #91 on: May 15, 2006, 01:11:25 AM »
 If you met 6000 people at local gyms (200 per gym for 30 appearances), at least half of them would show up, and probably bring a friend or two!

What do you base this statement on?

Seems like all those people teaching marketing and sale ratios actually have no clue.

A 50% turnout. Wow.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2006, 01:15:21 AM »

But Keith, here's the thing - every person who attended the show says they had a good time.  I felt it was a great value for my money and  I'll be there again in 2007, perhaps even as a sponsor. 

The only people hatin' on the event are the ones who weren't even there.  No one is denying that they've got some areas to improve upon for next year, but they're SUPPOSED to have things to work on...every event does. 

I just don't believe you guys who were not present can give honest, well-founded critiques.  You're so caught up in your 'I told you so' business that you're totally missing the point...that the fans enjoyed themselves and the athletes are all getting paid within a reasonable time period. 

fitt@40

• Getbig II
« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2006, 03:38:12 AM »
Onlyme, I've read some of your past posts and thought, "this guy seems really cool and has had a very interesting life."  However, your constant bashing of Shawn Ray is getting old and it makes you look bad.  Be the bigger man (no pun intended) and move on.  Just my 2 cents.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2006, 03:42:07 AM »

Nothing like being short!!

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2006, 05:16:03 AM »

Whatever they'll tell ya about your photoshop skills down at the Max Muscle Store...

Don't quit your day job mate. :-*

YIP
Zack

PS
Try get that Craig DVD online for us will ya?
As empty as paradise

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2006, 05:38:41 AM »

I do not know what started it exactly...but Shawn has not exactly been Mr. Niceguy toward Onlyme either.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
Time to stop talking shit and start doing it onlyme.  Its pretty bogus to have to see you pushing this issue over and over again.  Having done shows does not atall entitle you to a lifetime pass to play the role of bitter has been criticising anybody giving things a go.

Hate to be harsh but I don't see anybody saying it like it is and it really doesn't matter what your motives are, right now you're a shit talker who's not doing shit.  You are better than that buddy.  Rise up.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #98 on: May 15, 2006, 06:16:26 AM »
Onlyme, I've read some of your past posts and thought, "this guy seems really cool and has had a very interesting life."  However, your constant bashing of Shawn Ray is getting old and it makes you look bad.  Be the bigger man (no pun intended) and move on.  Just my 2 cents.

Well said. Onlyme you used to be very interesting with your stories, and extremely witty as well. You are cool as hell, but you've made hundreds of posts all negative about Shawn/Colorado Pro for months now. You are just coming across like a bitter person. Like others have said, rise above it :)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
From the voracity that Keith has come with against shawn, I seriously believe that Shawn did skip out on that hotel bill.  It fits his character, and no way would Keith put that kinda venom out there unless it's true.

But the sad thing is, ppl are not held accountable for their actions.  bob Chick made horrible racist claims, was proven dead wrong, and just decided to "drop it".  Shawn prob did skip out on that hotel bill and his unwillingness to walk onstage to hand out a check at your show was a dick move too.  Pride or whatever on his part didn't seem to stop him from walking onstage this weekend.

So yeah, I think Keith is right about Shawn.  The best revenge would be to get a PDI show in HI and show em how it's done!