Author Topic: Should have done 'Washington' or 'Jefferson', Lincoln Sucks...  (Read 6723 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: Should have done 'Washington' or 'Jefferson', Lincoln Sucks...
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 03:29:49 PM »
Jefferson would be a tough movie to make.  He was such a rabid racist that it would overshadow almost anything positive he ever did, and make it very difficult to make him sympathetic to audiences.  Here are a few of Jefferson's personal thoughts on blacks.  I included the source of these quotes I read from a recent article in the New York times.

Jefferson claimed he had “never seen an elementary trait of painting or sculpture” or poetry among blacks and argued that blacks’ ability to “reason” was “much inferior” to whites’, while “in imagination they are dull, tasteless, and anomalous.” He conceded that blacks were brave, but this was because of “a want of fore-thought, which prevents their seeing a danger till it be present.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/01/opinion/the-real-thomas-jefferson.html?_r=2&

Jefferson's racist attitudes are completely glossed over in schools--even college and graduate schools; you really have to be paying attention to find/notice it.  I'm sure Hollywood could--and would--make a movie about him without going into his racist ideology.  Remember, Lincoln wasn't exactly an abolitionist.  :(

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Re: Should have done 'Washington' or 'Jefferson', Lincoln Sucks...
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2012, 08:00:31 PM »
Jefferson claimed he had “never seen an elementary trait of painting or sculpture” or poetry among blacks

Have you?

???