Author Topic: Bodybuilding fan but never seen a contest  (Read 2130 times)

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Bodybuilding fan but never seen a contest
« on: August 27, 2015, 04:56:31 PM »
Maybe there are others in the same boat but I just find it kinda strange that I:

Am into bodybuilding
Been lifting 15 years
Post on GETBIG
Used to read MD
Read many books and online articles on bodybuilding
Follow who wins the olympia
Have a great appreciation of looking at men in thongs,

...yet I have never seen a bodybuilding contest with on video, or in person. Sure I've seen a posing routine or two on youtube but have never watched an entire contest and the thought of it seems boring.

I guess my point is that bodybuilding is really a cult sport. Imagine someone being a huge fan of a true sport yet never watched a game!

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
Re: Bodybuilding fan but never seen a contest
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 05:08:38 PM »
They are truly boring even for a bb fan. Maybe the last 5 minutes of the finals at the O where they call out
the winners would be nice to see live. Unless you see a friend competing - boring.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 06:40:57 PM »
Ive been to a few NY Pro shows and a PDI show.

Pretty boring.

People walking around, pretending to feel important in a subculture that is known by a few thousand people.  :D :D
X

Competitor 9

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 08:12:05 PM »
What I find ultra strange is the guys on here that don't even lift. I can understand even the casual gym rat following bodybuilding but guys that don't even lift?? It's fucking strange 

Hypo

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 08:18:50 PM »
And this is the exact reason why bodybuilding has lost its way.

You would think that with so many people going to gyms these days just like the OP, BB would attract more fans, interest and prizemoney. But alas, GH and insulin bloats win over aesthetics and a moderate ideal.  ::)

6 Reps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 08:33:56 PM »
They are truly boring even for a bb fan. Maybe the last 5 minutes of the finals at the O where they call out
the winners would be nice to see live. Unless you see a friend competing - boring.

This is an understatement.  Men's bodybuilding can be very boring.  But when you get to the men's physique categories, and all the women's categories, boring takes on a whole new definition.

That said, if you are fan, you should go to your nearest local contest.  Depending on where you live, there might only be one or two contests a year.  But, you owe it to your self, and this sport, to actually see it in person.  It might give you a different perspective.  Also, you might be surprised at the audience.  Sometimes you will see bigger, better guys in the audience than on stage.

evandatp

• Getbig IV
  • Haunted4Pay
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 08:51:43 PM »
What I find ultra strange is the guys on here that don't even lift. I can understand even the casual gym rat following bodybuilding but guys that don't even lift?? It's fucking strange 
I'm saving myself for the right gym.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 09:26:34 PM »
What bugs me is the cost. Often like $80ish for local show if not mistaken. All the $$$ goes to the promoter anyway and just don't find it fair.

When I was told you only get 45 seconds to display yourself, I found it too short for all the work that goes into that. If guys stopped fukin' around so much and doing the god damn poses when asked when being compared, maybe they could free up time.

Anyway, I have yet to go also and have felt bad not going at one point as it showed lack of support.
?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 10:13:05 PM »

how about someone who hates working out and doesn't do it yet goes to BB contests every month and spends hours photographing every shitty competitor under the sun....and also owns a bodybuilding related message board.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 10:26:54 PM »
Maybe there are others in the same boat but I just find it kinda strange that I:

Am into bodybuilding
Been lifting 15 years
Post on GETBIG
Used to read MD
Read many books and online articles on bodybuilding
Follow who wins the olympia
Have a great appreciation of looking at men in thongs,

...yet I have never seen a bodybuilding contest with on video, or in person. Sure I've seen a posing routine or two on youtube but have never watched an entire contest and the thought of it seems boring.

I guess my point is that bodybuilding is really a cult sport. Imagine someone being a huge fan of a true sport yet never watched a game!

You're not missing much. Boring as fuck. Especially now a days with 300 + competitors in 50 different divisions. If I go to a contest with an expo its to watch the powerlifting and strongman. Bodybuilding contests is like watching a chess tournament.

Competitor 9

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 10:40:13 PM »
how about someone who hates working out and doesn't do it yet goes to BB contests every month and spends hours photographing every shitty competitor under the sun....and also owns a bodybuilding related message board.

Haha I meet Ron a few times. Hell he even took my stages pics at one of my shoes but yes that is strange lol

Simple Simon

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 10:47:51 PM »

welcome to getbig

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 11:32:20 PM »
....and also owns a bodybuilding related message board.

.....that you post on daily. There you go. Posting before you think. Stop, you're embarrassing.

Simple Simon

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 11:41:53 PM »
.....that you post on daily. There you go. Posting before you think. Stop, you're embarrassing.

Come on, even you can see this isnt really a bodybuilding board.

How can it be?
Hardly anyone here in the G&O trains or eats properly let alone competes

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 12:07:41 AM »

what's your point shorty

I also love training and I post on the nutrition, training and mostly (as you well know) the politics board

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 12:26:22 AM »
Ive been to a few NY Pro shows and a PDI show.

Pretty boring.

People walking around, pretending to feel important in a subculture that is known by a few thousand people.  :D :D

So U too missed to watch Mr.Canada '70  :-\

10pints

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 12:34:40 AM »

Irony overload....