Author Topic: Evangelicals Rally to Romney to Stop Giuliani  (Read 4624 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Evangelicals Rally to Romney to Stop Giuliani
« on: October 22, 2007, 11:34:04 AM »
Looks like they found their man. 

Evangelicals Rally to Romney to Stop Giuliani

Monday, October 22, 2007 10:28 AM

By: Newsmax Staff 

Evangelical leaders are urging followers to support Mitt Romney’s campaign for president to prevent Rudy Giuliani from gaining the Republican nomination.

One evangelical, pro-life activist and attorney James Bopp Jr., last week sent a letter to hundreds of social conservatives warning that they must unite behind Romney or risk a Giuliani victory.

“While several of the other candidates are certainly fine social conservatives, none has established his viability as a serious presidential contender – only Mitt Romney has the resources to compete with Rudy Giuliani for the nomination,” Bopp wrote.

“Other evangelical leaders have weighed in on the acceptability of the leading Republican candidates. [Focus on the Family founder] Dr. James Dobson, America’s most influential evangelical leader, has expressed his opinion that Rudy Giuliani, John McCain, and Fred Thompson are not acceptable, based on their positions on various important conservative issues.”

Bopp points out that Tony Perkins of the Family Research Council and Dr. Richard Land of the Southern Baptist Convention have also declared that Romney is an acceptable presidential choice for social conservatives.

“So it does come down to two things,” Bopp concludes in his letter, which was excerpted in The Atlantic.

“One, the viability of the candidate, which only Mitt Romney has demonstrated among the socially conservative candidates, and two, whether social conservatives will have the courage to rally around the only viable conservative alternative to Rudy Giuliani. A divided field means that Giuliani is likely to win the nomination.”

Influential evangelical public relations executive Mark DeMoss has expressed similar views regarding Romney and Giuliani.

In a letter to some 150 top conservative Christian leaders, DeMoss – whose clients include Rev. Franklin Graham – asked the leaders to “galvanize support around Mitt Romney, so Mr. Giuliani isn’t the unintended beneficiary of our divided support among several candidates.”

He said Giuliani “clearly does not share our values on so many issues.”

Dr. Bob Jones III, chancellor and former president of Bob Jones University in Greenville, S.C., has also come out in support of Romney.

“I just believe that this man has the credentials both personally and ideologically in terms of his view about what American government should be to best represent the rank and file of conservative Americans,” he said in a statement reported by the Greenville News.

“If it turns out to be Giuliani and Hillary, we’ve got two pro-choice candidates, and that would be a disaster.”

Romney, Jones added, “has, as far as I can tell, no scandal connected with his life. I can’t say that about all of the candidates, unfortunately.”

Commenting on the importance of Jones’ endorsement, Dr. Albert Mohler, president of The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, said in an interview:

“This is like a lighthouse going on, the light shining its beam on Mitt Romney. Not only that, but the argument made by Bob Jones III basically means that not only is he supporting Mitt Romney, he’s basically saying he is the only option so far as he sees it on the Republican side.”

Evangelicals supporting Romney are evidently not troubled by his Mormon faith. DeMoss, for one, stated: “I am more concerned that a candidate shares my values than he shares my theology.”

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/Romney_evangelicals/2007/10/22/42853.html

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
Re: Evangelicals Rally to Romney to Stop Giuliani
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 04:00:53 PM »

We cant have Mitt as our Pres. or Rep Candidate. he is a good speaker and is very intelligent but...he is mormon.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 05:27:26 AM »
He can't get elected, way to many christians distrust mormons.  I hope he gets the nomination.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 07:06:06 AM »
I'll never understand that. I wouldn't care if we had a Jew or a Buddist as long as we don't have a Muslim...I really don't care.
L

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 07:55:39 AM »
I'll never understand that. I wouldn't care if we had a Jew or a Buddist as long as we don't have a Muslim...I really don't care.

Anyone else see the irony here?  ::)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 08:22:03 AM »
What irony....I really don't care what u believe...but unlike alot of folks who won't say it. I can't stand muslims. Either they are islamic nutbags or they won't stand up and say that their supposed religion of peace (complete bullshit) is being highjacked. They make up a huge segment of the world population yet how many people can u point to that stand up and dispute what the nutbags are doing. How many Mullahs or Imam's are vocal enough to decry the violence. The numbers say that there has to be some, but u don't really hear from them. I'm not a big fan of that religion. I've seen first hand what it does to its populations. All they do is persecute women, commit mass atrocities and make an attempt to spread their religion by violent means across the world.
L

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 11:01:46 AM »
I've watched quite a few of these debates.

Romney is a flipflopper.  Romney appears less presidential everyday.  He should be above petty attacks.  He should be above messing up his hair in response to op-ed pieces that he's too rigid.  He's devalued himself greatly by acting flustered in these debates.

Rudy is a popular mess.  He's like the Axl Rose of the 2008 Repub party.  He's out of control, his positions have been terrible in the past, he's had 3 wives, a pedophile priest on his staff, there is 911 stink all over him.  But people know him and are familiar with him, which will likely give him the nod. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 04:13:48 PM »
Anyone else see the irony here?  ::)
LOL, I can't handle this board anymore... I could have died I laughed so hard...

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 05:51:29 PM »
LOL, I can't handle this board anymore... I could have died I laughed so hard...

I wasn't expecting headhuntersix to, but I'm glad you got it! LOL  ::)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 08:00:22 PM »
All they do is persecute women, commit mass atrocities and make an attempt to spread their religion by violent means across the world.
Holy crap, what was I thinking!  You're right, they're evil... Christians would never do this...  oh wait... :-\

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 05:38:20 PM »
I've watched quite a few of these debates.

Romney is a flipflopper.  Romney appears less presidential everyday.  He should be above petty attacks.  He should be above messing up his hair in response to op-ed pieces that he's too rigid.  He's devalued himself greatly by acting flustered in these debates.

Rudy is a popular mess.  He's like the Axl Rose of the 2008 Repub party.  He's out of control, his positions have been terrible in the past, he's had 3 wives, a pedophile priest on his staff, there is 911 stink all over him.  But people know him and are familiar with him, which will likely give him the nod. 

It's what Romney stands for that should be vital.

Not his personal traits, if he's "acting" in a certain way.

Attack his policies, not the way he acts.

FWIW, I am no fan of Romney either. 8)

I think the GOP is handing the Presidency to Hillary if they elect him as their man.

With Giuliani, GOP actually has a slight chance.
As empty as paradise

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 07:44:12 PM »
I will actually register if Guliani is chosen.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 07:49:17 PM »
And, no I don't give a fuck. Guliani is the most solid candidate by far.

So what if he flops here and there on issues? That's what a leader ought to do. Take into account both sides. Guliani is more of a conservative than Romney is the true sense. Romney is morman, who like any kike, although not one, but almost as powerful, ought to be kept out of the oval office.

You can't vote in a man based on "morals" that's foolish. Guliani cleaned house with NYC, so why not america? I bet you'll he'll increase financial aid to needy college kids, while cutting federal welfare programs. He'll fix our schools, as he did with the City University of New York. He did it at the micro level, so let him try at the macro!

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 07:51:25 PM »
Ron Paul = out of the question.

Go with Guliani if you're a true conservative at heart!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 08:27:36 PM »
good point, hedge.

Romney admitted he ran on platforms he didn't believe in, just to win the job as gov of mass.  He admits he lied to the camera about his positions because he wanted the job.  He's "sorry" now.

IMO, if you'll lie to millions about your core religious beliefs in order to get into a job like governor, you'll probably lie ten times worse to get a much bigger job. 

But hey, I'm sure that exactly 22% of people will believe Mitt... that he's sorry and wouldn't lie now.  Those same 22% believe quite a bit, don't they?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2007, 08:28:54 PM »

fair enough.

can you tell us where rudy has stood for the last decade on

-gun control
-abortion
-immigration

Cause if you did one iota of research, you'd see he's been VERY liberal on those issues for the last decade.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2007, 08:43:23 PM »
he's been a fiscal conservative at heart. he wasn't appoligist like the mayor past him in nyc.

And of course he needed a tough stance on gun control, as he was running nyc. And as a fed pros. he was taking down the mob.  ::) On immigration, he saw the need for their cheap labor.

And real conservatives, and I mean libertarians wouldn't give a shit about abortion.

He's our best bet. Better than Hillary or Romney.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2007, 09:05:24 PM »

And of course he needed a tough stance on gun control, as he was running nyc. And as a fed pros. he was taking down the mob.  ::) On immigration, he saw the need for their cheap labor.
And real conservatives, and I mean libertarians wouldn't give a shit about abortion.

So REAL conservatives shouldn't care about gun control, immigration, or abortion?

You can support Rudy without making up facts.

You can, really.

Most conservatives love their guns.  Rudy spent a decade fighting the NRA. 
Most conservatives love their God.   Rudy spent a decade helping women have abortions.
Most conservatives love the USA.    Rudy spent a decade hiding illegals.

I'm a true constitutional conservative, Camel.  I fvcking love my guns, my God, my country.  I voted Repub my whole life, and support the GOP.  Rudy is a neoconservative flavor of republican.  It's okay if you support him of course, but you should really recognize that neoconservatives are an odd flavor of aggressive conservative, mixed with LIBERAL mindset.  Rudy had DEM views on abortion, guns, and immigration, for well over a decade. 

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2007, 09:09:15 PM »
I'm a libetarian at heart, but realize/think he's what's best.

In my book, the ends justify the means.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2007, 09:11:50 PM »
I'm a libetarian at heart, but realize/think he's what's best.

In my book, the ends justify the means.

"What's best" for libertarian beliefs is Ron Paul.  His positions match almost 100%.

"What's best" for neoconservative agenda is Guiliani.  His positions mirror Bush almost 100%.

What "means" are you excusing?  Rudy's stance which violate conservative beliefs?
What "ends" are you wishing for?   

If you liked Bush, you'll like Rudy.  Period.  Not much will change.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2007, 09:13:23 PM »
So REAL conservatives shouldn't care about gun control, immigration, or abortion?

You can support Rudy without making up facts.

You can, really.

Most conservatives love their guns.  Rudy spent a decade fighting the NRA. 
Most conservatives love their God.   Rudy spent a decade helping women have abortions.
Most conservatives love the USA.    Rudy spent a decade hiding illegals.

I'm a true constitutional conservative, Camel.  I fvcking love my guns, my God, my country.  I voted Repub my whole life, and support the GOP.  Rudy is a neoconservative flavor of republican.  It's okay if you support him of course, but you should really recognize that neoconservatives are an odd flavor of aggressive conservative, mixed with LIBERAL mindset.  Rudy had DEM views on abortion, guns, and immigration, for well over a decade. 

I don't like the fact that I can't carry my switch blade. You carry your glock 21, legally. But honestly, do you even need it? I carry knowning full well I am subject to punishment, but hey it's for the greater good, as not every citizen is as good as I am.

And Ron Paul has no shot. I am picking from what's there, not what I want.  :-\

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2007, 09:19:41 PM »
I don't like the fact that I can't carry my switch blade. You carry your glock 21, legally. But honestly, do you even need it? I carry knowning full well I am subject to punishment, but hey it's for the greater good, as not every citizen is as good as I am.

On average, you will be the victim of ONE violent crime in your lifetime.  I plan on being able to defend me/my family if/when it happens.   I pray it won't.  But if it does, I will not be on the ground begging for mercy from some uneducated asshole prick.  Fate willing, I'll never face a mess like that.  But if it does, I will legally protect myself. 

Rudy doesn't want me to carry.  Rudy doesn't want you to carry a knife either.  Rudy has no solution to the average of 11 minute response time to 911 calls.  Just try to survive the robbery, then call police.  Kinda shitty.  Hilary is shitty on that issue too.  Ron Paul is not - Paul says you and I should both be able to defend ourselves. 

Statistics are great - Rudy dropped crime stats by removing guns.  However, if you were one of those poor saps who wasn't able to carry and got killed by some punk who still carried a gun illegally, well... tought luck, i guess. 

And Ron Paul has no shot. I am picking from what's there, not what I want.  :-\

Rudy is Bush 2.  He is proud of it.  you'll have 4 more years of daily scares, big war spending.  period.  Most Americans are tired of that.  72% at last poll.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2007, 06:47:09 PM »
I just wish Ron Paul had a shot, but it's impossible, you know that right?

I mean I will continue to carry. I will not be victimized. But Rudy seems better than Hillary. And yes, I am biased becaused he made NYC a better place for me and my family.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2007, 07:22:09 PM »

I don't see how Giuliani is neoconservative.

Do you know what a neoconservative is?

Except for his stance on guns, he pretty much represents a capitalist, a liberal in the true sense.

You have a degree in economy, and used to be a History teacher, so I assume you know who Adam Smith was, and what Liberalism is and what a Liberal is.

The Republicans have traditionally been much more liberal on trade than the Democrats.

On religious and moral issues, the Democrats have been more liberal.

You repeatedly states how you've been voting Republican all your life. Fine.

Let me ask you about that, and it would be really cool if you could cut the BS. ;) (j/k)

Now, if looking back at each of those presidential elections, what do you think about your choices?

As empty as paradise

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2007, 02:54:08 AM »
I just wish Ron Paul had a shot

Me too.   ;D