Author Topic: Trap Bar  (Read 4276 times)

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • 2024 NPC Charlotte Cup Champion
Re: Trap Bar
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2023, 11:02:25 AM »
Drop? Or did  you mean "gain"? People can pull more w/ raised handles... Higher starting position like a rack-pull...

Do you feel the trap deads more in your back or your quads I would imagine hams still get significant work just less in lower back? Is it a good overall back developer or more upper back traps is it an overall leg developer? Should it go on a back day or a leg day?

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2023, 11:06:30 AM »
Do you feel the trap deads more in your back or your quads I would imagine hams still get significant work just less in lower back? Is it a good overall back developer or more upper back traps is it an overall leg developer? Should it go on a back day or a leg day?

All will be answered in time, Little One.

Gym Rat

• Getbig V
  • Libturdz Love The Caulk
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2023, 11:07:34 AM »
I like to do trap-pulls on back day, in place of deads... I feel it more in my legs though to be honest. (Like a "squat pull") and less in lower-back...
With my latest round of back issues Ill be bringing these back in and maybe even (bite my tongue) start pulling sump on straight-bar DL's..

webstar

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2023, 11:09:46 AM »
After review the Rogue Bar was too long and the grips were too large and with shipping it was like 500 bucks. I decided just to pick up a cheap cap barbell trap bar for 85 bucks including shipping if I hate it or it breaks I can upgrade. It is only 4.5 feet long not 7.5 so way smaller than the Rogue. Also my buddy who did 550lbs for 10 reps was using a cap bar so should work just fine.

Brian, you never mentioned this buddy before.  It’s been proven time and time again you do not have friends

It’s either Coop or your brother.

Which one is it?

mops

• Getbig IV
  • Never make snow angels in a dog park
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2023, 11:11:24 AM »

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2023, 11:16:08 AM »

If you really want to feel it in your quads, build a little podium to stand on, the longer/deeper you can make the pull, the more chance you'll feel it in the quads.

Lartinos

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2023, 11:25:46 AM »
Bhank is like a paralyzed guy buying new running sneakers.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2023, 11:39:45 AM »
New toys.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2023, 11:59:30 AM »
Yeah, I can see it being 15-20% on the High handles, most of my data and actual deadlifting is on the old single gripped "Gerard" style.

Gotcha - had to google the "gerard" though lol.
Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2023, 12:00:20 PM »

I don't think the movement is great for development much at all.  It will hit the quads, hams and back, but I feel it's more for strength/power.
Y

Gym Rat

• Getbig V
  • Libturdz Love The Caulk
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2023, 12:07:00 PM »
I don't think the movement is great for development much at all.  It will hit the quads, hams and back, but I feel it's more for strength/power.

Yup... Though with 20 rep sets I've had some decent leg growth/swelling... I guess 20 reps of anything fairly heavy could cause some growth..
A good power move for sure though..

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2023, 12:23:16 PM »
Serious question. Does anyone here think they’d be able to deadlift Hanky’s coffin?  Even with a conventional bar?  How much does a coffin add to body weight? 

mops

• Getbig IV
  • Never make snow angels in a dog park
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2023, 12:25:49 PM »
Quad dominant people have an interesting DL style.

920lbs

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2023, 12:40:51 PM »
Serious question. Does anyone here think they’d be able to deadlift Hanky’s coffin?  Even with a conventional bar?  How much does a coffin add to body weight?

Standard coffins weigh between #150-300lbs, The empty belly versions (#150-200) are sized up to about a low #200s man.  The full belly versions are in the #200-300 range, and can hold double that.

You figure you're looking a #400+ Hankins Deadlift (odd lift) at least.

Info provided by J Clegg and Sons Funeral Parlor.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2023, 01:00:44 PM »
I only tried a trap bar once. Eleiko brand. It started tilting and felt uncentered. It didn't have revolving handles, maybe that's why. I immediately gave it up although I usually love deadlift everything.

Best whole body movement that hits a lot of tissue: deficit deadlifts. Stand on something where your feet barely fit under the bar. Only problem is that it's so taxing and uncomfortable you tend to put it off, at least I do.

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2023, 01:03:30 PM »

it's just a tool, you can use it lots of ways
shrug with it for traps
be more upright on the pull for more quads
use the lower handles for more lower back
hell band it and jump into tripple extension

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2023, 01:15:34 PM »
this one looks very cool

https://kabukistrength.com/products/the-trap-bar?variant=42452079214778

Looks great, fancy. Would love to try it out. Though more fancy doesn't always mean better, mostly worse. Regarding making good equipment, I think Kabuki made some specialty bars with lots of testing and thought behind it but some powerlifters said they were the worst bars they'd used. Someone said their bar fucked up an entire meet for everyone lol. Lots of injuries. Even something like a bar which you'd think is simple enough is hard to get just right.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2023, 01:19:49 PM »
Looks great, fancy. Would love to try it out. Though more fancy doesn't always mean better, mostly worse. Regarding making good equipment, I think Kabuki made some specialty bars with lots of testing and thought behind it but some powerlifters said they were the worst bars they'd used. Someone said their bar fucked up an entire meet for everyone lol. Lots of injuries. Even something like a bar which you'd think is simple enough is hard to get just right.

There’s one of those at gym I go too it almost never ever gets used maybe seen it used maybe 2-3 times total

webstar

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2023, 01:20:53 PM »

Considering Emily will take him for everything he is worth. I’m pretty sure he’ll be cremated.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2023, 01:23:42 PM »

Trap Bar deads are better on the legs, easier on the lower back, and a far more normal and natural feeling.  You can do farmer walks, overhead press, rows, etc.   

The reason for the wide ones on the Rougue and Sorinex ones are because they accommodate bumper plates which are wider than the metal 45's. 

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2023, 01:47:17 PM »
Standard coffins weigh between #150-300lbs, The empty belly versions (#150-200) are sized up to about a low #200s man.  The full belly versions are in the #200-300 range, and can hold double that.

Brilliant, BB

webstar

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2023, 01:52:48 PM »

Lololollolololololol

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2023, 02:18:46 PM »
Just do conventional deadlifts you mong..............you act like you discovered fire with this trap bar bullshit.

Looking For An Easy Way Out Of Peace

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2023, 02:21:16 PM »

Anyone carrying Hankins coffin should avoid the head end...

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2023, 02:24:27 PM »
Just do conventional deadlifts you mong..............you act like you discovered fire with this trap bar bullshit.

Looking For An Easy Way Out Of Peace

:D