Author Topic: DB vs. BB strength  (Read 3384 times)

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
DB vs. BB strength
« on: December 16, 2007, 12:38:47 PM »
In bench press alone what would someone be able to do on a pair of dumbbells equal to on a barbell for a 3 rep max?  And vice versa.

Post how much you can do on either.

I'm not sure but I'm guessing I could put up 95's three times with DB but prolly max 3 reps with a BB at 230? 

I'm asking cause I stopped benching with a BB for while since I felt like I stopped progressing.  So I've switched to DB only and the gains keep coming.

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: DB vs. BB strength
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 01:03:34 PM »
the standard is always been the barbell. DBs are more of a bodybuilder's thing. most power-trainers use  mainly the barbell.

I have done 405x5
i can  DB press 125's x6

sometimes DB's get in the way  of each other

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 01:09:41 PM »
Not really too sure to be honest because I stopped doing flat bench presses many years ago after a shoulder injury playing rugby.

I prefer the incline BB and can bench a little more (maybe about 20-30lbs) than the cumulative amount I can versus flat dumbell presses on a bench. So even on an incline versus flat you're always going to be able to do more with a barbell.

There is a lot more balance issues to consider when dumbell pressing as you know and if it's strength you're going after then best stick to a barbell.

My strongest flat bench press = 365lbs
My strongest flat dumbell presses = 150lbs

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 01:10:27 PM »
the standard is always been the barbell. DBs are more of a bodybuilder's thing. most power-trainers use  mainly the barbell.

I have done 405x5
i can  DB press 125's x6

Gotcha.

What bothers me is that I stopped with a BB after I couldn't seem to get past putting up 225 for 3 or 4 on the last set.  So I switched to DB a few weeks ago and quickly went from putting up 70's for 8 on the last set to putting up 85's for 5 on the last set.  All to failure or close to it.

So the other day I get back under a BB to see if my 3 rep max on it went up and nothing.  Didn't go up at all. 

Shts fcking disappointing.

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 01:12:24 PM »
Not really too sure to be honest because I stopped doing flat bench presses many years ago after a shoulder injury playing rugby.

I prefer the incline BB and can bench a little more (maybe about 20-30lbs) than the cumulative amount I can versus flat dumbell presses on a bench. So even on an incline versus flat you're always going to be able to do more with a barbell.

There is a lot more balance issues to consider when dumbell pressing as you know and if it's strength you're going after then best stick to a barbell.

My strongest flat bench press = 365lbs
My strongest flat dumbell presses = 150lbs

I'm training almost completely for strength right now.. but I like to keep up my physique a little as well.

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 01:24:56 PM »
Gotcha.

What bothers me is that I stopped with a BB after I couldn't seem to get past putting up 225 for 3 or 4 on the last set.  So I switched to DB a few weeks ago and quickly went from putting up 70's for 8 on the last set to putting up 85's for 5 on the last set.  All to failure or close to it.

So the other day I get back under a BB to see if my 3 rep max on it went up and nothing.  Didn't go up at all. 

Shts fcking disappointing.

that happens to me with incline  bb press. it seems my front delt gives out or there's some  injury or something.. but i keep on it. I do drop sets or strip set. whatever you have to do to get the weight going back up.

but i haven't been really injuried were I couldn't train at all. so, I've benched every week for five  years

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 01:31:23 PM »

I have done 405x5
i can  DB press 125's x6

you benched 405 for 5 and only pressed 125 pound bells? something don't sound right there, pressing 405 for reps you should be EASILY pressing the 150's.

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 02:06:53 PM »
you benched 405 for 5 and only pressed 125 pound bells? something don't sound right there, pressing 405 for reps you should be EASILY pressing the 150's.

My gym only has 130's. I have a hard time getting them up on my own

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 02:54:50 PM »

405 for 5 equates to waaaaaaay more than 130s..

i recently asked my gym owner to ger me some 80's because ive masterd the 160's wen las i did em i did it for 7 rreps and thats after incline dumbell presses so i know i can move 180 for a rep or two
dont think i can do 405 for five reps tho...
thos i have benched in a while
choice is an illusion

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 04:00:56 PM »
315 bb for 3 reps...130-140 db for 3 reps.......if you're pressing 405 x 5.....150 db's should be easy.....does'nt sound like you use db's much, huh?????

omgsoswole

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 02:27:35 AM »
105 db's for 3, and 225 bench for 3...my bench is unusually far behind everything else though.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 07:13:33 AM »
It could just be learning to kick them back. It took me forever to finally be able to kick back the 125's for pressing when I was pressing 400. It's like anything else. Just gotta get used to the movement.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 09:22:39 AM »

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 11:39:40 AM »
It could just be learning to kick them back. It took me forever to finally be able to kick back the 125's for pressing when I was pressing 400. It's like anything else. Just gotta get used to the movement.

You mean falling backwards with the DBs on your knees? I'm affraid of doing that, like i'm gonna fall of the bench...
tank u jesus

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 12:23:38 PM »

Getting those power hooks to use with DBs to allow them to be used off the same rack as with a BB  can help bring the weight used closer together. Then there's no wasted motion or diversion involved with lifting them off the floor.

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Hooks-Dumbbell-Weights-Dumbbells/dp/B0008NPT2I

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 05:26:26 PM »
You mean falling backwards with the DBs on your knees? I'm affraid of doing that, like i'm gonna fall of the bench...
practice with a pair of 50's or less...kick both back at same time to the upright(arms extended) position..then you're set...kicking the 120's up now is nothing for me..like riding a bike..once you get it, you're set..I've always trained on my own...I've learned(by necessity) to do all kinds of wierd shit like this

Big_Tymer

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Huge Aryan Bastards With Muscle
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 06:11:34 PM »
practice with a pair of 50's or less...kick both back at same time to the upright(arms extended) position..then you're set...kicking the 120's up now is nothing for me..like riding a bike..once you get it, you're set..I've always trained on my own...I've learned(by necessity) to do all kinds of wierd shit like this

i prefer kicking them back 1 at a time, and where you have your arms not upright, so the first press you do is a positive instead of a negative

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 06:52:55 PM »
i prefer kicking them back 1 at a time, and where you have your arms not upright, so the first press you do is a positive instead of a negative

i clean mine from the floor and swing back onto the bench.  i swear one of these days i am gonna slip off and kill myself.

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 08:15:09 PM »
My gym only has 130's. I have a hard time getting them up on my own

Not trying to be a dick here, but if you have a "hard time" getting the 130s up, you need to spend less time bench pressing and more time deadlifting and doing BB and one-arm cleans with heavy ass weight.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 08:23:45 PM »
I firmly believe you will get the best chest development from DB bench but a combo of DB and BB work will give size and strength.  You can't work at anything with stalling, especially with chest. 

As far as DB work this is what I have learned to do when performing the exercise and things like skullcrushers. I kick the weight up and fall back and while doing so extend my arms so that by the time I'm on my back the weight is extended with arms locked. 
Squishy face retard

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2007, 08:46:36 PM »
Not trying to be a dick here, but if you have a "hard time" getting the 130s up, you need to spend less time bench pressing and more time deadlifting and doing BB and one-arm cleans with heavy ass weight.

yup

if you can't kick up and control 130's for FLAT db's, I'm thinkin that kickin up 105's for incline db's is probably out of the question

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2007, 09:06:07 PM »
I firmly believe you will get the best chest development from DB bench but a combo of DB and BB work will give size and strength.  You can't work at anything with stalling, especially with chest. 

As far as DB work this is what I have learned to do when performing the exercise and things like skullcrushers. I kick the weight up and fall back and while doing so extend my arms so that by the time I'm on my back the weight is extended with arms locked. 

I agree with you that a combo of BB and DB is the best for mass and strength, but most importantly for variation's sake.  Even if you're a PLer gunning for a big bench, periodize with DBs to mix things up and also to help with the overall strength (i.e. stick with sets of 3-5 with very heavy weight).  I'm finally back to BB benching after doing 6 weeks of nothing but DB benches and my right shoulder is starting to get back to normal (which tells me that it fortunately was not a rotator tear issue).

When I do DB benches, I grab the bad boys from a standing position, then sit and rest them on my knees.  Slight up-kick to get them back as I lie down flat.  I don't extend them straight up with arms locked.  I bring them back to the starting position, so that the first rep is basically the hardest one because I'm pushing all the way up.  I also try always to bring them down far enough so that the DB handle is either even with my chest level or slightly below it.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2007, 10:11:07 PM »
start working those dumbells for sure and it'll become second nature...

I'm glad at metroflex we have benches made for dumbbell bench pressing that hold the dumbbells..it's pretty fucking sick

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 03:45:47 AM »

I can do it very well on incline bench and shoulder presses where you do it one arm at a time. (but doing this is doesn't get you to the arms extended position though) Flat bench however...both at the same time and falling back so far, it's more scary.
tank u jesus

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2007, 05:54:26 AM »

I'm glad at metroflex we have benches made for dumbbell bench pressing that hold the dumbbells..it's pretty fucking sick

Exactly my point, which no one here paid attention to. If DBs are easier to rack akin to racking a BB, it's less arduous to use em, more similar to racking a BB and thus the weight differential in relation to lifts involving a BB is reduced.

One of the advantages of DBs is that they'll generally be easier on the wrists, knees, shoulders, ligaments and tendons thanks to a less rigid ROM.