Author Topic: sergio vs arnold story....Chick or any other experts know the truth??  (Read 17426 times)

GoneAway

• Getbig V
Re: sergio vs arnold story....Chick or any other experts know the truth??
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2007, 06:16:33 PM »
sergio had a thick back, maybe thicker than arnolds, but it comes off as smooth and undefined, which costs him points in a bbing contest.

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2007, 06:18:56 PM »
This thread is giving me the urge to pull out yet another Muscle Builder/Power issue of mine and post the report on the '72 Olympia.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2007, 06:20:43 PM »
do it!!! get to the scann-ahhhhhh!!

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2007, 06:21:37 PM »
sergio had a thick back, maybe thicker than arnolds, but it comes off as smooth and undefined, which costs him points in a bbing contest.

Another thing that costs Sergio is the way he poses , he poses way to fast and barely holds it for any length of time.

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2007, 06:30:29 PM »
do it!!! get to the scann-ahhhhhh!!

LOL...I'll see if I get to it tomorrow.

sgt. d

• Getbig V
  • Don't tase me bro
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2007, 10:31:31 PM »
Another thing that costs Sergio is the way he poses , he poses way to fast and barely holds it for any length of time.

::)

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2007, 04:51:23 AM »

Which had the crowd begging for more!  ;)

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2007, 10:56:33 AM »
Which had the crowd begging for more!  ;)

The crowd doesn't judge contests  ;)

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2007, 11:02:12 AM »
Man, Sergio is blowing away Arnold with his Munzer like condition.   ::)  Those back shots show Sergio was clearly lacking in cuts and condition.  If tiny waists and big arms were the only criteria for a Mr. Olympia win then Haney would have lost and guys like Flex and Robby would have a ton of wins.

Frenchie beats both in conditioning

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2007, 12:00:43 PM »
Their was no contest in 72, Essen Germany. Sergio won by a mile but arnie blew uncle joe back stage for the win, everyone knows that. Besides Joe knew he could puppet Arnie for his new poster child.
X

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2007, 12:21:57 PM »
Sergio's back reminds me of Dillet's. Not as bad but similar shape and look. Like a concave shape if that makes sense. Shallow. In the rear double, relaxed looks better.

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2007, 12:29:19 PM »
Arnolds bigger and more cut, why is there any debate here??  ::) And his physique is the more pleasing to look at

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2007, 12:49:58 PM »
Arnolds bigger and more cut, why is there any debate here??  ::) And his physique is the more pleasing to look at

Because sergio looked better, arnie had sloped shoulders, no forearms, over developed chest, under developed tris and a thick blocky waist. Sergio was the total package and lost because of politics- I would guess thats where the debate arises
X

m8

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2007, 12:52:50 PM »
Arnold was much better on-stage.

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2007, 01:09:37 PM »
The crowd doesn't judge contests  ;)

Touché!  :D

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2007, 02:08:36 PM »
Arnold was much better on-stage.

Which shows were you at.. ::)

Arnolds bigger and more cut, why is there any debate here?? 

Talk about misinformed/blind..he was taller, not bigger.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2007, 02:25:07 PM »
Because sergio looked better, arnie had sloped shoulders, no forearms, over developed chest, under developed tris and a thick blocky waist. Sergio was the total package and lost because of politics- I would guess thats where the debate arises

Total package would include conditioning and separation , more to winning bodybuilding contests than just a great base.

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2007, 02:53:31 PM »
This is a great , all time OLympia match up and like the 2007 O, was very close. Sergio had fuller rounder muscle bellys ,better thigh sweep and overall mass , width and thickness with a smaller waist.
Arnold was sharper , with lot better seperation overall. Plus, Arnold posed a lot better than Sergio ,look at the lousy back lat pose Sergio did, hardly showing the incredible lats he really had. The fact that Arnold may have got over on Sergio by tricking him to leave the stage early, is the stuff of bodybuilding lore and legend...who knows what the real truth is.
The Olympia was held in Essen ,Germany that yr , not far from Arnold's home of Graz , Austria.It is doubtful Arnold would have lost a close call on his hime turf that year.

The 1970 IFBB Mr World is one show where Sergio clearly was better than Arnold but still lost.
It was on ABC's wide world of sports, in prime time when I was 12 years old. Anyone have any pics of that?
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2007, 03:04:56 PM »
The 1970 IFBB Mr World is one show where Sergio clearly was better than Arnold but still lost.
It was on ABC's wide world of sports, in prime time when I was 12 years old. Anyone have any pics of that?

Yup. In my vintage muscle mags collection.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2007, 03:13:25 PM »
Lol.  Sergio can't pose, was smaller, and did not have the cuts and condition to match Arnold.  Lat spread is atrocious and like ND said, Sergio was like Flex, resting on his laurels and thinking he deserved to win without coming in with the best package.  Arnold hid his flaws and you don't get arms over 20 inches with underdeveloped triceps.  Try again.
Squishy face retard

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2007, 08:20:48 PM »
Lol.  Sergio can't pose, was smaller, and did not have the cuts and condition to match Arnold.  Lat spread is atrocious and like ND said, Sergio was like Flex, resting on his laurels and thinking he deserved to win without coming in with the best package.  Arnold hid his flaws and you don't get arms over 20 inches with underdeveloped triceps.  Try again.

We  can agree on 1 thing then, you cant get arms over 20 inches with underdeveloped tris. I guess thats why arthur jones measured them at just over 19"  ;)
X

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2007, 08:27:25 PM »
We  can agree on 1 thing then, you cant get arms over 20 inches with underdeveloped tris. I guess thats why arthur jones measured them at just over 19"  ;)
Lol.  Oh, brother.  Yeah, Jones, Sergio's trainer, showed that Sergio was the one with the biggest arms.  Go figure.  I wonder why Arnold's flexed arm looks much better and the same size if not bigger onstage.
Squishy face retard

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2007, 11:31:35 PM »
arnold vs sergio

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2007, 05:33:53 AM »
Lol.  Oh, brother.  Yeah, Jones, Sergio's trainer, showed that Sergio was the one with the biggest arms.  Go figure.  I wonder why Arnold's flexed arm looks much better and the same size if not bigger onstage.

Jones measured everyone that trained with him, I guess he was out to get arnie and lied about his arm size. No doubt his left arm was 19 ish, it has no peak and you never see him flex it straight on.  Arnie had a tall peak, thats about all.
X

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2007, 05:57:25 AM »

hmmm, why do people speak with such authority on subjects they don't know of?

many top bbers of the day visited and stayed at arthur's ranch, including sergio, arnold and franco. there are pics of all of them training and posing at his ranch.

arthur only trained sergio for a brief time. if anything, it would have been in arthur's best interest to exaggerate the measurements of one of the guys he did actually regularly train, casey viator.

in pics taken at the ranch, with casey's flexed arm next to arnold's, casey's actually look slightly bigger, but then he is shorter. in any case, arthur measured arnold's right flexed arm at 19.8 inches and he openly stated that casey's flexed right arm was 19.5 inches, that being less than arnold.  if arthur jones was a liar (there was nothing he detested more than a liar. he probably would have pistol whipped you like he did roy callender if you called him that) he could have easily got away with claiming casey's arm was bigger than arnold's.

some of you guys are really showing your ignorance re the musculoskeletal system here, because if you knew shit from shinola about what comprises the most size of the upper arm, you would know that the triceps comprise 3/4 of the total volume of a flexed upper arm and sergio's triceps were far bigger than arnold's. as for the bis, it's hard to tell because of the differences in condition and sergio's lack of peak (compared to arnold).