Author Topic: GOP Food Stamp Cuts Would Kick 170,000 Vets Out of the Program  (Read 5225 times)

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
GOP Food Stamp Cuts Would Kick 170,000 Vets Out of the Program
« on: November 11, 2013, 04:32:23 PM »
Anthony Correia / Shutterstock.com   

Republicans will salute America's veterans Monday, while simultaneously trying to deny them benefits. In addition to reducing housing aid, and denying health care to vets, the GOP is also trying to remove thousands of vets from the food stamp program, known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP.

At least 900,000 veterans rely on SNAP. The House Republican version of the farm bill, the five-year piece of legislation that funds nutrition and agriculture provisions, would slash funding for the food stamps program by nearly $40 billion and boot 2.8 million people off the program next year. That includes 170,000 veterans, who would be removed through a provision in the bill that would eliminate food stamps eligibility for non-elderly jobless adults who can't find work or an opening in a job training program.

CHARTS: The Hidden Benefits of Food Stamps.

Veterans returning home from service have more trouble finding work than other folks, and rely more heavily on the food stamp program. The unemployment rate for recent veterans—those who have served in the past decade—is about 10 percent, almost 3 points above the national unemployment rate. War-related disabilities are one reason why. About a quarter of recent veterans reported service-related disabilities in 2011. Households that have a disabled veteran who is unable to work are twice as likely to lack access to sufficient food than households without a disabled service member, according to the nonprofit Center on Budget and Policy Priorities.

This month, SNAP funding was reduced by $5 billion as extra stimulus money for the program expired. While the Senate will never approve the $40 billion in further cuts to the food stamps program that House Republicans want, deeper cuts are pretty much inevitable. The two chambers are in the middle of negotiating a final version of the farm bill, which will contain food stamp reductions somewhere in between the $4 billion level the Senate wants and the level the Republicans want.

Whatever the final number, veterans will likely feel the pinch.

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
Re: GOP Food Stamp Cuts Would Kick 170,000 Vets Out of the Program
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 04:53:29 PM »
We should give everyone food stamps.  Then we wouldn't be mean to anyone!
Y

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 05:04:34 PM »
It's a greater tragedy that so many people come out of the military with zero marketable skills.  Many people go into the military are from poor or working poor families.  Their only option is the military as university is an unlikely option because of poor grades and/or economics.  In my opinion, these folks were, in many cases, likely to be food stamp recipients anyway and the military was a brief intermission before they resumed their natural life course, welfare and unemployment.
A

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 05:11:39 PM »
According to NPR, “The welfare reform bill said that able-bodied adults without dependents could get only three months of food aid in a three-year period unless they had a job or were in a state job-training program.

you do know the majority of ppl on welfare are single mothers with 2+ kids, under 30 and with at most a high school diploma right?

I would be more than happy to place a requirement that you cannot get pregnant while on govt assistance, would you?

I am shocked you would be against this, in just the last few weeks we have heard how when millions of ppl will lose their insurance plans "its only 5%"

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 05:12:44 PM »
It's a greater tragedy that so many people come out of the military with zero marketable skills.  Many people go into the military are from poor or working poor families.  Their only option is the military as university is an unlikely option because of poor grades and/or economics.  In my opinion, these folks were, in many cases, likely to be food stamp recipients anyway and the military was a brief intermission before they resumed their natural life course, welfare and unemployment.
GI bill would be available to them if they opted for it, ppl need to be held accountable for their life decisions

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 05:13:51 PM »
tough issue here.  ANY time you cut a social program, there are going to be a % of people who are veterans, who lose this coverage.  

GOP just has to own this.  Just say it like it is.  Some % of welfare moms are going to be military vets.  If you cut social programs (which they need to do), you'll be taking something away from just about all groups.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 05:16:28 PM »
GI bill would be available to them if they opted for it, ppl need to be held accountable for their life decisions

I totally agree. 
A

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 05:22:42 PM »
tough issue here.  ANY time you cut a social program, there are going to be a % of people who are veterans, who lose this coverage. 

GOP just has to own this.  Just say it like it is.  Some % of welfare moms are going to be military vets.  If you cut social programs (which they need to do), you'll be taking something away from just about all groups.
what needs to happen is for them to point out the amount of waste in these programs. Also the amount of sheer stupidity and bad decisions those of us who have made good decisions and been responsible are supporting.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 06:35:11 PM »
what needs to happen is for them to point out the amount of waste in these programs. Also the amount of sheer stupidity and bad decisions those of us who have made good decisions and been responsible are supporting.

Other things that might help would be some kind of drug or medical procedure to inhibit empathy. 

You could also outlaw the depiction, in words, pics or videos, of suffering people so as to make most unaware of the real human cost of cold-hearted policies.

You could also, as TonyMcMisfit often does, try to dehumanize the people who need help as much as possible by encouraging the "Us vs Them" mindset.  Personally, I think of this as the "Hotel Rwanda" strategy where, if you're really successful with it, you'll have the poor being literally hacked to death in the streets like the Hutus did to the Tutsis. 

Finally, you need to adopt this as your theme song:
"Kill The Poor"

Efficiency and progress is ours once more
Now that we have the Neutron bomb
It's nice and quick and clean and gets things done
Away with excess enemy
But no less value to property
No sense in war but perfect sense at home:

The sun beams down on a brand new day
No more welfare tax to pay
Unsightly slums gone up in flashing light
Jobless millions whisked away
At last we have more room to play
All systems go to kill the poor tonight

Gonna
Kill kill kill kill Kill the poor:Tonight

Behold the sparkle of champagne
The crime rate's gone
Feel free again
O' life's a dream with you, Miss Lily White
Jane Fonda on the screen today
Convinced the liberals it's okay
So let's get dressed and dance away the night

While they:

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 07:17:27 PM »
Other things that might help would be some kind of drug or medical procedure to inhibit empathy. 

You could also outlaw the depiction, in words, pics or videos, of suffering people so as to make most unaware of the real human cost of cold-hearted policies.

You could also, as TonyMcMisfit often does, try to dehumanize the people who need help as much as possible by encouraging the "Us vs Them" mindset.  Personally, I think of this as the "Hotel Rwanda" strategy where, if you're really successful with it, you'll have the poor being literally hacked to death in the streets like the Hutus did to the Tutsis. 

Finally, you need to adopt this as your theme song:
"Kill The Poor"

Efficiency and progress is ours once more
Now that we have the Neutron bomb
It's nice and quick and clean and gets things done
Away with excess enemy
But no less value to property
No sense in war but perfect sense at home:

The sun beams down on a brand new day
No more welfare tax to pay
Unsightly slums gone up in flashing light
Jobless millions whisked away
At last we have more room to play
All systems go to kill the poor tonight

Gonna

Behold the sparkle of champagne
The crime rate's gone
Feel free again
O' life's a dream with you, Miss Lily White
Jane Fonda on the screen today
Convinced the liberals it's okay
So let's get dressed and dance away the night

While they:

hahaha sorry, if you put yourself in a shitty situation by making bad decisions you shouldnt get preference over those that need help who didnt.

I know you and your liberal/progressive friends want to paint everyone who is against you as a hate mongering A hole and thats fine.

If you need someone to point at and call names, then by all means Ill be that person if it means bringing attention to the fact that the majority of ppl on welfare are there b/c of horrible life decisions.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 08:23:48 PM »
If you want to help people (you should want to help people), you should help.

This isn't the governments place though.

Donate time and money to the Salvation Army, they do so much good.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 08:25:36 PM »
If you want to help people (you should want to help people), you should help.

This isn't the governments place though.

Donate time and money to the Salvation Army, they do so much good.
Ive said that many times myself...who is the govt to decide who needs help and who doesnt

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 08:39:10 PM »

I'm 100% for this - AS LONG AS they separate social security from "entitlements".

My blood boils when I hear repubs mocking some 70 year old man that paid $400 grand into SS over 55 years of working... and suddenly he's a leech because he wants some of his money back when he's crapping in diaper and can't open jars of baby food anymore.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 09:05:39 PM »
Ive said that many times myself...who is the govt to decide who needs help and who doesnt

YES, and these imbeciles sit back and act like it's a matter of being mean or nice when that couldn't be further from the truth.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 09:17:06 PM »

Thankfully, deep thinkers like you neither make policy nor vote in big enough numbers to be anything more than an annoyance. 

BTW, that's completely cool that you want to remain anonymous but I was wondering if you could post a pic of the plaque or trophy you got when you won one of your 2 national judo championships.  Could you do that? 

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 09:32:52 PM »

The government is us, misfit.  And you give help to as many of those who need it as you can. 

Not sure if you read the OP's post but it said 900,000 veterans receive food stamps. 

Tell you what, if the right wants to turn their backs on them, the dems will be happy to pick up their votes.  Support the troops, indeed, eh?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 05:39:09 PM »
Thankfully, deep thinkers like you neither make policy nor vote in big enough numbers to be anything more than an annoyance. 

BTW, that's completely cool that you want to remain anonymous but I was wondering if you could post a pic of the plaque or trophy you got when you won one of your 2 national judo championships.  Could you do that? 
LOL could, wont though honestly now b/c I like how much it seems to bother you hahaha

whats funny is a noname, faceless fat ass behind his keyboard feels the need to follow me around like a lost puppy.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 05:42:31 PM »
The government is us, misfit.  And you give help to as many of those who need it as you can. 

Not sure if you read the OP's post but it said 900,000 veterans receive food stamps. 

Tell you what, if the right wants to turn their backs on them, the dems will be happy to pick up their votes.  Support the troops, indeed, eh?
so what youre saying is we should stop feeding the free loading, bad decision making idiots and make sure that our veterans have food stamps?

I agree, lets take care of the vets first and whatevers left over the single mothers of 2+ kids under 30 with at most a high school diploma can have a spelling contest to see who gets the rest.

We can put it on tv, I personally would love to see tafrika and shantel up there trying to spell "condiment".

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2013, 05:48:35 PM »

Did you even read it?   Of the 900,000 it would actually affect 170,000. And as an actual vet, which I am sure you are not, I dont see the problem.  We need to get the budget under control and if you cut ANY program it will almost certainly affect some vets.  Serving in the military doesnt make anybody untouchable. Should have saved a little and took advantage of the GI Bill, as I did. At some point, vet or not, personal responsibility should rule the day. 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 07:20:34 PM »
I'm 100% for this - AS LONG AS they separate social security from "entitlements".

My blood boils when I hear repubs mocking some 70 year old man that paid $400 grand into SS over 55 years of working... and suddenly he's a leech because he wants some of his money back when he's crapping in diaper and can't open jars of baby food anymore.
show me where there is any bill that has received support from either party that cut benefits for 70 yr olds?

the bills that have been proposed have revolved around cutting benefits for future users.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 01:30:19 PM »
LOL could, wont though honestly now b/c I like how much it seems to bother you hahaha

whats funny is a noname, faceless fat ass behind his keyboard feels the need to follow me around like a lost puppy.

Good luck selling that (that you're not providing any sort of proof to tweak me), ya liar. 

I'm not the only one who's called your claims of a being a 2-time National Judo champ into question.  BTW, I've noticed you're not repeating the Judo champ thing anymore.  Don't worry, fool, I won't let it die.

BTW, if you reveal your real identity, I'll reveal mine.  Pics, ID, home address, all of that.  Put up or shut up...champ.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 01:33:04 PM »
Not enough. Need to cut more.

I am sure there are quite a few committing fraud. They need to be found, removed from the program and made to pay back everything.

Keep cutting.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2013, 01:48:26 PM »
so what youre saying is we should stop feeding the free loading, bad decision making idiots and make sure that our veterans have food stamps?

I agree, lets take care of the vets first and whatevers left over the single mothers of 2+ kids under 30 with at most a high school diploma can have a spelling contest to see who gets the rest.

We can put it on tv, I personally would love to see tafrika and shantel up there trying to spell "condiment".

No, I'm not saying that.  But in case you or anyone else is wondering, I think that cutting the food stamps of vets who've risked their lives for the country is just bad policy.  

I do believe the poor shouldn't be given too much or it will foster dependency.  How much is too much, though, needs to be the subject of real analysis by the braniacs among us, not seat-of-the-pants feelings of the young and the dumb.

Honestly, the way you think the government should act seems like bad policy to me even if one doesn't take the immorality of your positions into consideration.  Some of the callous policies you are for won't even be cost effective because (Newsflash!) starving people don't want to starve and will do anything to remedy that situation.  I'm not informed enough to do cost/benefit analysis on the issue but it seems to me that money saved by not helping the needy won't really be saved because it will need to be spent on security.  

And fuck that living in a police state shit.  It's bad enough already and I think most people here will agree with me on this narrow point.

BTW, TonyMcFauxJudoChamp is the very last person who should be disparaging anyone's ability to spell.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2013, 01:57:08 PM »
Did you even read it?   Of the 900,000 it would actually affect 170,000. And as an actual vet, which I am sure you are not, I dont see the problem.  We need to get the budget under control and if you cut ANY program it will almost certainly affect some vets.  Serving in the military doesnt make anybody untouchable. Should have saved a little and took advantage of the GI Bill, as I did. At some point, vet or not, personal responsibility should rule the day. 

You are wrong.  I AM a vet.  I was in the army for 4 years as a 98G Russian.  Unlike TonyMcFakeJudoChamp, I don't lie about the claims I make here on GB, so you can ask me any question you like about being a former 98G and I'll answer it.

I hear what you're saying but, considering that we have an all-volunteer army and considering how much money is spent on defense, giving food stamps and special help besides the GI bill to vets seems reasonable.  To do otherwise smacks of bad policy to me.

And yes, I realize that only 170 thou of the 900 thou on food stamps are looking to be kicked off.  My feeling is, though, that all 900 thousand are going to object to and sympathize with the 170 thousand being kicked off and so all 900 could very well vote against the right.  Sorry if I wasn't clear about this.  I'm guessing this seems reasonable to you, Showstoppa.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2013, 02:09:53 PM »
It's a greater tragedy that so many people come out of the military with zero marketable skills.  Many people go into the military are from poor or working poor families.  Their only option is the military as university is an unlikely option because of poor grades and/or economics.  In my opinion, these folks were, in many cases, likely to be food stamp recipients anyway and the military was a brief intermission before they resumed their natural life course, welfare and unemployment.

Where do u get this shit from. By and large we're a cross section of society. Unless your a grunt, all the MOS's that people  enlist for set you up for life...if you're smart. As a grunt with a general enlistment time 2-5 years you don't get alot of extra training but you may get some leadership and baseline skills thats translate well into law enforcement. Everybody else..even the truck drivers get marketable skills
L