Author Topic: Buying Wholesale?  (Read 19108 times)

JediKnight

• Getbig IV
Buying Wholesale?
« on: February 03, 2008, 12:49:29 PM »
Any of you know any good places to buy protein and bodybuilding supplies for wholesale? I am thinking of putting together a website in my spare time.Thanks

benz

• Getbig V
  • ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ boo! ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
Re: Buying Wholesale?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 01:04:26 PM »
Any of you know any good places to buy protein and bodybuilding supplies for wholesale? I am thinking of putting together a website in my spare time.Thanks
trueprotein
bodybuilding.com
scambay?

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 07:34:55 AM »
Europa has about the best wholesale prices out there (its where I buy from).  If you find something cheaper someplace else, the will meet or beat the price.  But it is really hard to compete with the bigger retail supp net companies because they buy in bulk so they can leverage really good prices.  I would look into another business.  Not trying to burst your bubble, just trying to be realistic.

Melvin Goodrum

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 08:48:19 AM »
Europa Sports hands down, best company to get bodybuilding products from.  Charge what you like and they'll dropship it to the location.  Volume discounts are even better.

Even say so, I'll be honest and say that I lost a lot of money last year on nutritional supplements simply because bb.com has everything on lockdown which left folks like me lunging for scraps.  Because of it, I had to change my business model and will be doing like Chris Mason did with my own private label.

Unless you plan to open a storefront, I would not even bother

JediKnight

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 03:32:46 PM »
i will charge less than bb.com,,

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 08:10:52 AM »
How will you charge less than bb.com, dsp and the rest of the big online companies?  You don't even know what your costs are going to be.  You can't buy stuff as cheaply as those big guys.

PRAXIS

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 09:17:16 PM »
Europa Sports hands down, best company to get bodybuilding products from.  Charge what you like and they'll dropship it to the location.  Volume discounts are even better.

Even say so, I'll be honest and say that I lost a lot of money last year on nutritional supplements simply because bb.com has everything on lockdown which left folks like me lunging for scraps.  Because of it, I had to change my business model and will be doing like Chris Mason did with my own private label.

Unless you plan to open a storefront, I would not even bother

I own a few retail nutrition stores (franchises). The business is good business and it depends on your location. Starting retail nutrition stores from scratch is very hard work. Private label is good for small stuff: Liquids and Vitamins. You dont want to dare try to private label protein or anything else. The margins are too slim and the investment is high for any kind of worthy return. Yes Europa is a good supplier but expensive!!!! Try some of your local distributors: 99% of the time they will beat the national distributors: Boss, Europa ect ect.

If you are serious about getting into the Nutrition Retail business make sure you have these things in place:
Good Location-Next to a major gym
Good Staff-Your people need to know and look the part!!!
Realistic Pricing-remeber you have tons of competition out there.
Inventory-Always over stock your top selling products!!!!

Every City will differ in your competition. My advice is go with a established franchise. It is too difficult to try and rely on 3rd party companies: BSN, Muscletech ect ect... Remember your market for this stuff is the 18-30 age bracket. Your customers that are looking for NO Xplode want the best price!!!!
Doesnt matter what the relationship is. Why pay $60.00 at your store when they can get it online for $29.99-your cost most of the time.

The reason you want to go with a Franshise is for the private label. Your private label is your equity! they can only buy it at your store and you are protected by territory rights. One if my stores is surrounded by mom and pop non franshise retail stores. They sell Muscle Milk, BSN and Muscle Tech. What do I do??? I sell all the stuff they focus on for a couple of bucks over what I pay for it.
They will come to my store and save money on NO Xplode but guess what? They will buy my Protein, Glutamine, Liquid Multi, MRP and everyother thing I offer from my private label. I have closed down stores because of this. My stores are based in the one of the fastest growing regions in southern california. I also private label my own pro-hormones. That is good business also.

You want to maintain at least 60% margin on your private label and you will. It will be higher with Vitamins. Your Margins on Pro-Hormones and Ephedra is anywhere from 60-90% depending on how you buy. But be smart. At first you are going to want to carry everything new that comes out.

Bad Move: Its impossible to keep up with the market. Companies come up with new bullshit every quarter to try and win back business. Dont play this game.

Here is a breakdown of your options:

GNC-Expensive and alot of corporate bullshit. You are forced to order products and tons of stuff expires: Your margins are 40%-60% tops and guess what: No Ephedra or Pro Hormones=Your money makers.
Positive: Brand Recognition and total over all sales. GNC's normally have more walk in customers that any other franchise nutrition store.

Max Muscle-Also faily expensive but the private label is bar none the best in the business. Also, you can carry Ephedra and every Pro-Hormone on the planet. Your Profit per customer will be the best! Try to buy a legacy Max Muscle and remodel it and grow the business. I did this with a few in my area. I bought one store for 40k cash and could sell it for 400k easy!!!

Nutrishop-Very Inexpensive to start up but your success is in the air. Problem with this corporation is there is no product loyalty. They do not advertise anywhere and they have no involvement what soever in the fitness industry. They sponsor no one and you wouldnt know they existed unless you happened to see it driving to the gym. Tons of these stores are closing!!! Their private label copies max muscle to the T and its obvious!!! They have a more mainsteam approach and their stores look great but they are lacking on the product. The company itselfs needs to re-invest the money into the name instead of putting it into their pockets.

Feel free to Im me if you have any questions.

PRAXIS

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 09:23:30 PM »
How will you charge less than bb.com, dsp and the rest of the big online companies?  You don't even know what your costs are going to be.  You can't buy stuff as cheaply as those big guys.

Unless you own 50 retail nutrition stores you will never even be able to compete. Remind you many of these online stores wont be paying much more then you and you wont be paying much less than them. They are lucky to make a few bucks over cost and maybe a few on shipping. The margins are so slim for these guys its unreal. I often ask myself how they do it. Bodybuilding.com is another story. They have been there since day one and I would imagine do more sales they anyone in the business. They most likely pay 1/2 of what I pay for products. I would imagine they at least double their money on each product due to their buying power.

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 09:04:28 AM »
Prax--he's not opening a brick and mortar store.  It will be an online store.  But thanks for the insight on the brick and mortar stores.  Interesting info!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 07:10:46 AM »
some risks of holding inventory...

spoilage
damage
pilferage
change in consumer buying habits (your product goes out of style)
expiration

The less inventory you can hold (while still delivering product on time) the less risk you take.  plus it frees up that $ to be used in more productive places.

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 11:04:28 AM »

spoilage
damage
pilferage
expiration

The less inventory you can hold (while still delivering product on time) the less risk you take.  plus it frees up that $ to be used in more productive places.

some wholesalers will drop ship for you so you don't have to warehouse anything.

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 04:30:29 PM »
There are better ways to make money than BB supplements.  The market is saturated.  Kids are all about prohormones now.  Maybe go that route. 

PRAXIS

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 02:43:48 PM »

spoilage
damage
pilferage
expiration

GNC'S Write off tons of product each year. Its corporate mandated that they carry all the top brands that come out. It doesnt hurt to stock up on top selling products. You will sell them! Especially if its your private label. Now this all goes back to private label. You never want to heavily stock anything 3rd party. The supplement industry changes the way we change our clothes. Its impossible to keep up with the industry without losing money on expired product. I looked into a online nutrition store but I could not see where it would make sense for me to invest the money with such slim margins.

Pro-hormones yes right now they are moving and some guys are making some bucks. But all the prohormones could be banned tomorrow and anyone caught selling the stuff will be shitcanned.

The nutrition business is not really that bad. Right now it isnt kicking due to the ecomony but overall its ok. You wont make it rich over night thats for sure. But if you have a solid business plan and know how to buy product and negotiate with your vendors you can secure a solid income. Brick and mortar stores can still easily pull in 60k monthly sales. With 3-4 stores doing that I am sure most people on this site would be living at least comfortable.

Internet: Unless you have big bucks to invest I wouldnt do it.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 08:15:58 AM »
agree on dropshipping.

agree on "unless you have big bucks..."

it's just too hard to make a living competing against bodybuilding.com

PRAXIS

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 10:53:44 PM »
agree on dropshipping.

agree on "unless you have big bucks..."

it's just too hard to make a living competing against bodybuilding.com

There is too much competition on online. You would be amazed how fast someone will shop down the street to save 10 bucks. One thing is for sure you must be on your toes and constantly price shopping your competition.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 08:13:44 AM »
Praxis has the idea about putting your store next to a gym.  I had two stores in Hawaii and they both were feet from 24 Hour Fitness.  I destroyed their supp sales.  In fact they started bringing in things I had.  But saying that.  I have owned a gym in Hawaii and currently putting one (ultimately 5) here in Vegas and I always put in a cause in my lease saying NO stores are allowed in the complex that can compete with me.  Like supp shops, tanning, massage therapy, juice bar, etc.  As the anchor tenant and person paying the most lease rent I can do that.  That way I am protected against companies feeding off my potential revenue and membership base.

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2008, 08:55:53 AM »
Praxis has the idea about putting your store next to a gym.  I had two stores in Hawaii and they both were feet from 24 Hour Fitness.  I destroyed their supp sales.  In fact they started bringing in things I had.  But saying that.  I have owned a gym in Hawaii and currently putting one (ultimately 5) here in Vegas and I always put in a cause in my lease saying NO stores are allowed in the complex that can compete with me.  Like supp shops, tanning, massage therapy, juice bar, etc.  As the anchor tenant and person paying the most lease rent I can do that.  That way I am protected against companies feeding off my potential revenue and membership base.

exclusivity clauses are pretty routine in most multi-tenant strip centers.  just irresponsible to enter into a lease without one.  i would have thought 24 hour fitness would have been better represented.

PRAXIS

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2008, 03:11:15 PM »
24 Hour Fitness  just got into clauses with some of their newer gyms. Funny part is when there is multiple tenants on property there is nothing they can do. I got my store in a center months before the gym had even announced they were going to put a gym there. I had a friend who works in commercial real estate that gives me leads all the time. I closed the deal way before 24 had actually signed their lease. Sure the first few months were slow but its was green after that.
Remember being close to a gym only guarantee's you will have a parking lot full of people looking to either lose weight or bulk up. Just get crafty on your marketing and you should be ok!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2008, 11:57:27 PM »
It is unreal how some of the bigger gyms don't have the exclusivity.  Max Muscle is right next door to several Gold's Gym I have seen.  ProForm is next to another Gold's here.  As much as I am investing on my Pro Shop and stock I would not want any competition.  And I usually can buy at distributor cost so my margins are good enough to offer lower prices than most.  I'll take a small hit to get the customers through the door.  And we will also have 4 products being made specially for us so then our margins are even higher so pricing will be very good.

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2008, 08:20:01 AM »
That really is tantamount to malpractice on the part of their legal department.  Onlyme--keep us updated on the progress of your business development. Interesting stuff you got going on.

PRAXIS

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2008, 08:31:41 AM »
It is unreal how some of the bigger gyms don't have the exclusivity.  Max Muscle is right next door to several Gold's Gym I have seen.  ProForm is next to another Gold's here.  As much as I am investing on my Pro Shop and stock I would not want any competition.  And I usually can buy at distributor cost so my margins are good enough to offer lower prices than most.  I'll take a small hit to get the customers through the door.  And we will also have 4 products being made specially for us so then our margins are even higher so pricing will be very good.

Thats good. I am a true beliver in Private Label and the equity it builds in your business. How do you buy at Distributor cost? Are you spending "alot" of money on your orders on 3rd party product? I do some private labeling on alot of the hotter products. I wont private label a product unless I can either Quadruple my money or better. Let me know. Maybe you can turn me onto someone for my purchasing.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2008, 08:52:00 PM »
That really is tantamount to malpractice on the part of their legal department.  Onlyme--keep us updated on the progress of your business development. Interesting stuff you got going on.

Oh I promise I will.  The paperwork is going through as we speak and I am hoping to move in sometime in April at the latest.  I took a better and larger location that has already had over $600,000 in build-outs done.  So it keep my cost around a million to complete, maybe a little more.  And hopefully with the TI money it won't be much out of my pocket. 

Thats good. I am a true beliver in Private Label and the equity it builds in your business. How do you buy at Distributor cost? Are you spending "alot" of money on your orders on 3rd party product? I do some private labeling on alot of the hotter products. I wont private label a product unless I can either Quadruple my money or better. Let me know. Maybe you can turn me onto someone for my purchasing.

Well as with almost everything it is who you know.  My store had a small amount of competing companies.  CytoSport, ABB, MetRx, Beverly International, Designer Protein, VPX and a few others.  I also had the absolute best and smartest guy working behind my counter when it came to supplements.  We used to have like school sessions in the store where he literally be talking to 10 people or more and answering questions.  He was great.  Even the top BB in Hawaii used to ask him question about nutrition then go back and tell his client the answers pretending he knew them.  Oh well. I would never own a stand alone shop again though.  But I will have a 1,000+ sq. ft. shop in my gym and I promise not one store in Vegas will touch my prices..........GUARANTE ED.