Author Topic: Mr Olympia should never be under 5"10-5"11  (Read 3991 times)

Boost

• Getbig V
Mr Olympia should never be under 5"10-5"11
« on: June 04, 2008, 06:29:21 AM »
Mr Olympia Should posess an auro of mythical proportions, a guy with height and width.
Fans should NEVER be dissapointed meeting a Mr Olympia in person "yea he was big,,, but alot shorter than expected"
Mr olympia is a BIG mans game, take this pic for example, really exposes how short/narrow phil is compared to an average big guy.

But you certainly wouldnt be dissapointed meeting this giant in person

RZA

• Getbig IV
Re: Mr Olympia should never be under 5"10-5"11
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 06:37:38 AM »
Wolf is just 6' so by today's standards, he's not exactly a giant but has a respectable height. But I agree Wolf brings an impressive package and even though he's lacking in certain departments, his competitors are even more flawed.

Triple-H_2005

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • I mostly lurk...
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 06:38:27 AM »
I would love to see more truly "big" men at the top of the sport.  Problem is, the taller you get, the harer it is to build an impressive physique.  I'm 6'2" and last competed at @227 and was FAR from impressive.

The point is, few men have the necessary genetics to build a pro physique, even fewer at 5'11" + have the genetics to build the necessary thickness requisite to do well on the pro level.

Dennis Wolf is not only a great big man, he's a true anomaly on today's bodybuilding landscape.

RZA

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 06:43:34 AM »
Well, science and drug gurus haven't figured out yet how to change that simple genetic fact: beeing tall is not a "genetic" plus, it might even be argued it's a flaw to some extent. Mesomorphs are average height most of the time or even short by most standards. Bone structure, symmetry, strength (pound for pound I'd say) are generally superior on guys between 5'7 and 5'10.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 06:46:17 AM »
Heath will never win the Olympia anyway so I wouldn't worry.

Wolf would look great as a Mr O and I don't think anyone would have any qualms about his size if they were ever to meet him in person.

Dorian was 5'10.5"  but actually looked a lot taller in the offseason at 300lbs (I can vouch for this first hand) and it certainly does look impressive. I can understand why guys like Shawn Ray never won the Olympia because the illusion just isn't there. Nasser and Dillet would also have been good contenders if they'd got their shit together.

Monster81

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 06:49:26 AM »
epic affliction tshirt on the average guy

RZA

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 06:50:30 AM »
Yeah but neither Nasser nor Dillett could come close to Dorian's muscle quality. Dorian haters can scream as much as they want, the fact is that the guy had unprecedented muscular density. And that's another thing you rarely see on big guys due to the fact that they already have problems creating the required volume at this level.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 10:13:44 AM »
Mr Olympia Should posess an auro of mythical proportions, a guy with height and width.
Fans should NEVER be dissapointed meeting a Mr Olympia in person "yea he was big,,, but alot shorter than expected"
Mr olympia is a BIG mans game, take this pic for example, really exposes how short/narrow phil is compared to an average big guy.

That average big guy is my friend Larry.  He is anything but average.

Maxt

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 10:15:59 AM »

I completely AGREE. More and more they are going with the shorter guys and it just doesn't strike me as an Olympian-Not like Arnold in 1975 when they filmed Pumping Iron. NO WAY!
Bethesda, Maryland

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 10:21:40 AM »
That average big guy is my friend Larry.  He is anything but average.
Larry 'Bad Boy LeRoy Brown' on Myahem.

Gurnee, IL guy... very funny guy. Nig ga loves BBing.
?

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 10:24:16 AM »
Larry 'Bad Boy LeRoy Brown' on Myahem.

Gurnee, IL guy... very funny guy. Nig ga loves BBing.

Yep, we used to work out together when I was stationed at Lackland in TX.  He's a good guy.  If he wanted he could become pro but he doesn't want to "up the dosage".  He has incredible genetics.....minus the calfs. ;D

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 10:27:29 AM »
Yep, we used to work out together when I was stationed at Lackland in TX.  He's a good guy.  If he wanted he could become pro but he doesn't want to "up the dosage".  He has incredible genetics.....minus the calfs. ;D
I doubt that now. He never even competed and when I ask him when he is going to get on stage he is reluctant and gets nervous. I would have never ever guessed he used anything more than creatine. He is just the average 'puffy gym body' guy. I like Larry...don't take it the wrong way but he is not even in the category of genetically gifted.
?

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 10:31:08 AM »
Here's an old pic from one of his shows..

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 10:32:45 AM »
Here's an old pic from one of his shows..
My bad. I retract.

Still...when someone has the potential to go PRO it isn't a matter of the amounts of gear and dosages. He will never go PRO because of his genetics. He's an average BB...so am I though so don't think I'm picking on him.
?

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 11:06:01 AM »
So...just to be clear on getbig's standards here.  5'9.3" (me) is considered "short", but 5'11.3" (Wolf) is considered "tall"?  ;D

I think there is more to it than that.  Wolf's long arms and small waist create an illusion of height.  Standing next to one another, Wolf and Heath would be very similar in height.
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 11:13:10 AM »

1. Hi Dennis ;D

2. that "average" guy is huge
tank u jesus

Matt C

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 11:15:18 AM »
1. Hi Dennis ;D

2. that "average" guy is huge

Hi average guy.  ;D
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Boost

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 11:19:28 AM »
So...just to be clear on getbig's standards here.  5'9.3" (me) is considered "short" on here, but 5'11.3" (Wolf) is considered "tall"?  ;D

I think there is more to it than that.  Wolf's long arms and small waist create an illusion of height.  Standing next to one another, Wolf and Heath would be very similar in height.
Yep it is probably the illusion of height. Basically i am trying to say that Dex or Phil should never be Mr Olympia. You need a guy that is physically imposing...just overwhelming in person. Fans ALWAYS complain that their favourite bodybuilders are SHORTER and less impressive than they look onstage. However a genuine BIG guy like Wolf......he has the dominating stature of an OLYMPIAN....just like Arnold, Haney, Ronnie....

No one wants an Olympian who the average "big guy" in the gym dwarfs.

THE AVERAGE GUY....yea he is a BIG guy....but there are ALOT of guys that size....A Mr Olympia should stand apart from a guy like him.....Phil really doesnt.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 11:19:33 AM »
So...just to be clear on getbig's standards here.  5'9.3" (me) is considered "short", but 5'11.3" (Wolf) is considered "tall"?  ;D

2 inches is significant in face to face interaction

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2008, 11:22:26 AM »

Hmm, I see a offseason Heath, who tends to look smaller than he does in Comp mode.

Hell, you could throw up a pic of Levrone, when he is about 185, and he doesn't look impressive, but come contest he's the shit. As a matter of fact, I am willing to bet the dude is bigger than Levrone in that  " Baltimore Raven's " shirt pic, just Kev is more impressive.

Bodybuilders are impressive not just due to size, but the size and condition. Hell, Flex was 5'10, but seeing him walk with his wife in "Mass Construction" is more impressive than any pic one throw up of Wolfe.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 11:27:19 AM »
Hi average guy.  ;D

lol! for cripes sake ;D
tank u jesus

Matt C

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 11:32:56 AM »
Yep it is probably the illusion of height. Basically i am trying to say that Dex or Phil should never be Mr Olympia. You need a guy that is physically imposing...just overwhelming in person. Fans ALWAYS complain that their favourite bodybuilders are SHORTER and less impressive than they look onstage. However a genuine BIG guy like Wolf......he has the dominating stature of an OLYMPIAN....just like Arnold, Haney, Ronnie....

No one wants an Olympian who the average "big guy" in the gym dwarfs.

THE AVERAGE GUY....yea he is a BIG guy....but there are ALOT of guys that size....A Mr Olympia should stand apart from a guy like him.....Phil really doesnt.

Maybe so...although I would have to say that Kevin Levrone pegged somewhere around 5'9-5'10 would have made a good Mr. Olympia.  I think you are right and stature is essential.  It's crazy to think that Dennis Wolf, at just over 5'11, is almost "too tall" to be Mr. Olympia.  But he was blessed with a structure where it actually works out to his advantage.
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 01:31:10 PM »
Hmm, I see a offseason Heath, who tends to look smaller than he does in Comp mode.

Hell, you could throw up a pic of Levrone, when he is about 185, and he doesn't look impressive, but come contest he's the shit. As a matter of fact, I am willing to bet the dude is bigger than Levrone in that  " Baltimore Raven's " shirt pic, just Kev is more impressive.

Bodybuilders are impressive not just due to size, but the size and condition. Hell, Flex was 5'10, but seeing him walk with his wife in "Mass Construction" is more impressive than any pic one throw up of Wolfe.

LOL, seriously now, he looked like a cartoon there....small joints and round muscles.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2008, 01:56:58 PM »

Height is a genetic factor and it held many men back from being the best and it should be , this is a ' sport ' of the genetic elite and if you're 5'7" then sucks to be you

muscle looks better on a taller frame I think 5'8" or 5'9" is the bare minimum for Mr Olympia height , ideal is 5'10"/5'11" but I think we'll see another tall 6'1" + bodybuilder come along and make everyone look like children but the thing with tall guys is they always seem to lag behind in legs but you could get just a genetic freak tall with a great structure and great legs .

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2008, 02:02:43 PM »
Flex was 5'10

"Was?"

Is he dead?

Flex wasn't 5'10"