Author Topic: Greg Kovacs MuscleTech Promo...  (Read 14526 times)

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
Re: Greg Kovacs MuscleTech Promo...
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2012, 12:50:18 AM »
  Yeah, he was a monster, but he sucked as a bodybuilder. He was too mesomorphic in structure and his hips were too wide. He was also very strong, but not like the ridiculous articles from MuscleMag back then claimed. I mean, 700 lbs on the decline bench for 4 reps? 360 lbs front military presses for 10 reps? One arm dumbbell rows with 300 lbs dumbbells for 12 reps? Over 2 ton leg presses? This is gorilla strength...

SUCKMYMUSCLE

In the vid he says he did behing the neck presses with 405 for 15 reps at age 19
choice is an illusion

Swede!

• Getbig IV
  • www.letskillsometime.com Direct link in signature
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2012, 04:41:14 AM »
ahaha yeah, you don't care about "board reputation", that's why you cried to the mods last night to delete TWO different threads outing you, I'd say the boards own your mind you little bitch :)

Three threads.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2012, 10:27:15 AM »
wasn't Paul Gardner the first "Before and After" guy for Muscletech?

Also, didn't he claim (in the initial ad) that his results occurred in one month?

Yes.

He was in great shape, with help from anabolics and clenbuterol, and then he ate Wendy's every day for several weeks to get fat, and then had his "before" pics taken. Then he got back into shape with more drugs and the "after" shots were taken.

All this before there was even a product.

::)

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, 10:28:35 AM »
Paul Gardner is a complete psychopath and should be in jail for what he did.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Truth

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2012, 10:30:58 AM »

In the vid he says he did behing the neck presses with 405 for 15 reps at age 19

Yeah, sure.  ::)

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2012, 10:33:51 AM »
Looks pretty good here

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2012, 10:35:36 AM »
The guy was HUGE. I was an editor at MuscleMag when Paul Gardiner (the flagship store's manager kid) was planning his MuscleTech business. Greg would often stop by at lunch and hang.

However, as was said, Greg was never cut out to be a bodybuilder. He had a wide waist, turnip thighs and weak leg depth, shitty arm thickness (brachialis)/detail, crummy overall shape and zero aesthetics. Not to mention the man's epic gut.

And his strength wasn't near what it was trumped up to be. Check out the video. He has five plates on incline Smith and does three tough reps all by himself. That's essentially 465 on a machine that balances the barbell. Strong, sure, but not anywhere NEAR what would be required to bench press 700 pounds, or for that matter, flat press five plates with a free bar for sets of more than, say, five repetitions.

I am quite certain he couldn't deep squat shit, either.

MuscleTech made its start with Kovacs and then bailed on him when it was obvious he wasn't going anywhere as a bodybuilder (to put it mildly). But without Greg, MuscleTech wouldn't have become anything. And with MuscleMag in Paul's corner, as well, for whatever reason, it went on to become one of the greatest successful scam companies of all time.

That anyone purchases its products is a mystery.

But, yeah, Kovacs was once a MONSTROUS human being. 

Kovacs was with MuscleTech for 5 or 6 years. That's about normal for a supplement contract.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2012, 10:36:26 AM »
I was at a seminar in Florida years ago and someone in the audience asked Chris Cormeir if he was stronger than Kovacs..........Corneir replied that while Kovacs was a strong guy,that he relied on the Smith Machine and didn`t do full range reps.

I also met Kovacs briefly at the NPC Southern States years ago......he was fucking huge,sweating profusely,but after chatting with him briefly,he impressed me as being a pretty good dude.

Danjo

• Getbig IV
  • If you're coming on...then come on!
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2012, 10:39:02 AM »
Let's not forget one of the other  big scams of the 90's....twinlab touting skip lacour as natural and claiming he looked the way he did cause of heavy training and their supps....alot of fools and their respected coin were parted in them days,before resources like getbig began shedding logic and truth on the supp(racket) industry..
H

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2012, 10:41:03 AM »
Looks pretty good here

Looks fucking awesome, that's when he won the canadian nationals and went pro, I think. He dwarfs everyone there. He never quite got into the same size or condition again.

I heard an interview he did with Palumbo a number of months back. Apparently Kovacs has suffered from serious anxiety problems all his life. That canadian show, he could barely step on stage, due to stage fright. From what they said (Palumbo once having been his "trainer"), Kovacs used to get in awesome shape for a show only for his anxiety to visibly change his physique before the curtains rolled.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2012, 10:43:13 AM »
Let's not forget one of the other  big scams of the 90's....twinlab touting skip lacour as natural and claiming he looked the way he did cause of heavy training and their supps....alot of fools and their respected coin were parted in them days,before resources like getbig began shedding logic and truth on the supp(racket) industry..

Twinlab touted a number of bodybuilders, namely the Team Universe guys: Chris Faildo, Skip LaCour, Ron "Alcatraz" Coleman, Milton Holloway, and a few others. In fact, didn't MD vow never to feature another steroid-using bodybuilder again?

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2012, 10:44:36 AM »
Looks fucking awesome, that's when he won the canadian nationals and went pro, I think. He dwarfs everyone there. He never quite got into the same size or condition again.

I heard an interview he did with Palumbo a number of months back. Apparently Kovacs has suffered from serious anxiety problems all his life. That canadian show, he could barely step on stage, due to stage fright. From what they said (Palumbo once having been his "trainer"), Kovacs used to get in awesome shape for a show only for his anxiety to visibly change his physique before the curtains rolled.

Big bastard

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2012, 10:44:52 AM »
Great contest pics ND......he never reached that shape again unfortunately.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2012, 10:47:40 AM »

I think you have the statements confused. He said he did 405 for 6-8 reps. The 19 reps (and this story's been out for a while) refers to his benching 430, which was the winning weight for a local powerlifting contest. He did that after the meet was over and people were talking to the guy who won the show.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2012, 11:47:26 AM »
I think you have the statements confused. He said he did 405 for 6-8 reps. The 19 reps (and this story's been out for a while) refers to his benching 430, which was the winning weight for a local powerlifting contest. He did that after the meet was over and people were talking to the guy who won the show.

This story is true, from what I know. Dick move, in my opinion.

Cashfan

• Getbig III
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2012, 12:18:46 PM »
  Yeah, he was a monster, but he sucked as a bodybuilder. He was too mesomorphic in structure and his hips were too wide. He was also very strong, but not like the ridiculous articles from MuscleMag back then claimed. I mean, 700 lbs on the decline bench for 4 reps? 360 lbs front military presses for 10 reps? One arm dumbbell rows with 300 lbs dumbbells for 12 reps? Over 2 ton leg presses? This is gorilla strength...

SUCKMYMUSCLE
"Too mesomorphic" followed by "hips were too wide".  There goes Suckmymalapropism again, using big words he doesnt understand. 

@Sucky- buy a dictionary, place it next to your keyboard, doublecheck the meaning of every word before you hit the 'post' icon. 

suckmymuscle

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2012, 01:16:28 PM »
"Too mesomorphic" followed by "hips were too wide".  There goes Suckmymalapropism again, using big words he doesnt understand. 

@Sucky- buy a dictionary, place it next to your keyboard, doublecheck the meaning of every word before you hit the 'post' icon. 

Mesomorphs have wider hips than the average ectomorphic male because their bones are thicker and wider overall, although not as wide as that of endomorphs. Just becuse endomorphs have even wider hips does not make mesomorphs having thin hips.

My statement is 100% accurate.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2012, 01:23:30 PM »
Yeah, sure.  ::)

ha ha ha i agree..... he said it in the second video though
i dont even think he could do 315
judging by how he struggled on the smith with 5 plates...
i never understood why people use the smith as a proof of strength
some smith machines are so easy even small small me have inclined 405 on a smith....
this guy is super big eats probably 20 times ago... and takes drugs.....
personally i dont think this guy that strong at all ron coleman chris cormier branch johnnie are stronger IMO
choice is an illusion

HEAVYLIFT

• Getbig II
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2012, 01:36:22 PM »

if you ever see a pro bodybuilder carring something like that, and if you got a chance STEAL IT !!!!!  8)

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2012, 01:55:08 PM »
im pretty sure he said behind the neck presses
choice is an illusion

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2012, 05:24:32 PM »
im pretty sure he said behind the neck presses

He mentioned both. The behind-the-neck presses he claimed he did 405 for 6-8 reps at age 19 (at 0:55 of that video). The bench press he said he did 19 times, at the end of a powerlifting meet where the winner did 425 or 430. Kovacs, in street clothes, started repping the weight (initially with no one watching; then someone saw him and directed people's attention to his moving the weight that the winner nearly killed himself doing just once).

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2012, 09:41:11 PM »
He mentioned both. The behind-the-neck presses he claimed he did 405 for 6-8 reps at age 19 (at 0:55 of that video). The bench press he said he did 19 times, at the end of a powerlifting meet where the winner did 425 or 430. Kovacs, in street clothes, started repping the weight (initially with no one watching; then someone saw him and directed people's attention to his moving the weight that the winner nearly killed himself doing just once).

Ok I see judging by the way he struggled with 5 plates on the smith incline... 405 shoulder press free weight sounds out there
choice is an illusion

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2012, 01:30:48 AM »
Looks pretty good here
great pics, thanks

is that the north americans?

that was maybe his best stage showing, no?