Author Topic: 'Rough' Diamonds  (Read 7047 times)

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
Re: 'Rough' Diamonds
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2007, 03:28:40 PM »
Not always, in South Africa and Namibia mining diamonds it is a massive very well paid industry.
Especially if you are off shore.
Diamonds are used in industry on a massive scale as well.

Unfortunately though, buying ANY diamonds regardless of where they are mined creates more demand and in turn will create more exploitation.  I just think dimaonds are completely over valualed...just my opinion.

And because they are used in other industries does not mean I feel that I should go out and buy them...

Just a few excerpts from an article about "clean and dirty" diamonds:

-the deadly diamond trade has gone on for decades, in some cases, centuries, in the African countries of Angola, Sierra Leone, and Democratic Republic of Congo where diamonds are linked to widespread human rights abuse. Sometimes it happens at the hands of insurgent groups, who use diamonds to fuel atrocities, and sometimes it’s an unscrupulous quest for diamonds at the hands of governments."

In all, an estimated 20 million people have been killed or uprooted from their homes over dirty diamonds, and other natural resources in war-torn regions of Africa. Children are often used to mine diamonds in inhumane conditions.

“Individuals inside the diamond mines often experience human rights abuses by actually doing the mining. They’re standing in knee-deep water for days at a time,” Cadena said. There are also the dangerous conditions of breathing, eating, and sleeping toxic fumes deep within the mines. Before considering color, clarity and carat, Amnesty International asks diamond consumers to check out “conflict free” diamonds. “When conflict diamonds are sold, that means the money doesn’t go back into the country, it goes directly to insurgents,” she said. “Countries around the world are losing tens of millions of dollars that could be put back into their own economies.”   

Cadena’s work has been specifically geared toward diamond exploitation, and she noted that the United States accounts for 65 percent of the world’s diamond purchases. “Wal-Mart sells more diamonds than any other jeweler in this country,” she said. “They haven’t signed on to jewelers for clean diamonds. We have not worked with them directly.”

(New American Media) full article here: http://news.newamericamedia.org/news/view_article.html?article_id=3b979941c75c56858f961a9bd9c176ba
-
Jennifer

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2007, 07:11:39 AM »
Unfortunately though, buying ANY diamonds regardless of where they are mined creates more demand and in turn will create more exploitation.  I just think dimaonds are completely over valualed...just my opinion.

And because they are used in other industries does not mean I feel that I should go out and buy them...

Just a few excerpts from an article about "clean and dirty" diamonds:

-the deadly diamond trade has gone on for decades, in some cases, centuries, in the African countries of Angola, Sierra Leone, and Democratic Republic of Congo where diamonds are linked to widespread human rights abuse. Sometimes it happens at the hands of insurgent groups, who use diamonds to fuel atrocities, and sometimes it’s an unscrupulous quest for diamonds at the hands of governments."

In all, an estimated 20 million people have been killed or uprooted from their homes over dirty diamonds, and other natural resources in war-torn regions of Africa. Children are often used to mine diamonds in inhumane conditions.

“Individuals inside the diamond mines often experience human rights abuses by actually doing the mining. They’re standing in knee-deep water for days at a time,” Cadena said. There are also the dangerous conditions of breathing, eating, and sleeping toxic fumes deep within the mines. Before considering color, clarity and carat, Amnesty International asks diamond consumers to check out “conflict free” diamonds. “When conflict diamonds are sold, that means the money doesn’t go back into the country, it goes directly to insurgents,” she said. “Countries around the world are losing tens of millions of dollars that could be put back into their own economies.”   

Cadena’s work has been specifically geared toward diamond exploitation, and she noted that the United States accounts for 65 percent of the world’s diamond purchases. “Wal-Mart sells more diamonds than any other jeweler in this country,” she said. “They haven’t signed on to jewelers for clean diamonds. We have not worked with them directly.”

(New American Media) full article here: http://news.newamericamedia.org/news/view_article.html?article_id=3b979941c75c56858f961a9bd9c176ba
-

I wish there were more women that feel this way. All mining takes a toll. But, in areas where FreeLancers can make a living on their own, or work in safe conditions, and not destroy the environment, it brings much needed cash and jobs to the worlds most needy. Not all mine operators of slime.But, I dont care for the Ice Mafia one little bit.

Original Sin

• Getbig IV
  • You fucking disappoint me!
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2007, 08:50:49 AM »
Buy Polar Bear Diamonds exclusively.  They are mined in Canada and we don't play the Blood Diamond game. 

Walmart sells Diamonds?  We must be talking low grade P.O.S. 
Seriously what kind of guy would go to Walmart to buy his lady a Diamond? 
Maybe they have a good layaway plan  ::) ::)

Just Bad Bad Blood!

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2007, 08:53:06 AM »
Buy Polar Bear Diamonds exclusively.  They are mined in Canada and we don't play the Blood Diamond game. 

Ooooooooo pretty.  :D
:D Weee

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2007, 12:43:08 PM »

I think I recall taht a Canadian firm is at the forefront of syntheyics. The problem is they ate TOO perfect.
Stone lovers take note. Massive gains have been made in counterfiting w/ synthetics. Even the distinctive internal crackel pattern of Burmeese Rubies (Present day Mymar) are being replicated so well that expert gemoligists are getting taken. No laughing matter on a $30K  cat's eye or star rubbie. Make you want to click your Jimmy Choos together and say "I want'a go home ;D".  Fools get eaten in every game. Know your shit, and take a pro. Or deal with only the most reputable that will eat it if they F'd up.  Many hi Rep jewlers  will.

love to shop that stuff in BKK. I could spend weeks.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2007, 12:55:30 PM »
I think I recall taht a Canadian firm is at the forefront of syntheyics. The problem is they ate TOO perfect.
Stone lovers take note. Massive gains have been made in counterfiting w/ synthetics. Even the distinctive internal crackel pattern of Burmeese Rubies (Present day Mymar) are being replicated so well that expert gemoligists are getting taken. No laughing matter on a $30K  cat's eye or star rubbie. Make you want to click your Jimmy Choos together and say "I want'a go home ;D".  Fools get eaten in every game. Know your shit, and take a pro. Or deal with only the most reputable that will eat it if they F'd up.  Many hi Rep jewlers  will.

love to shop that stuff in BKK. I could spend weeks.

In total 1000% agreement with you. My girlfriend's father owns a chain of jewelry stores, and when I went jewelry shopping, I always brought along the pen. Counterfeit diamonds can fool even the most trained eye, ...but they cannot radiate heat like a real diamond will. Always demand they be tested with the pen.
w

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2007, 01:02:46 PM »
In total 1000% agreement with you. My girlfriend's father owns a chain of jewelry stores, and when I went jewelry shopping, I always brought along the pen. Counterfeit diamonds can fool even the most trained eye, ...but they cannot radiate heat like a real diamond will. Always demand they be tested with the pen.

Jag, the Tehc is growing in leaps and bounds. Read up in Gem and Mineral monthly. YOu will get a bad scare. THe days of this stuff being easily ID'd are over. Use teh spendy jewlers taht will stand behind a screw up. ANd I know you map your stones. Your pretty smart for a liberal ;D.

Your a closet capitilist, you cant hide it ;).

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2007, 01:06:47 PM »
What pen?
:D Weee

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2007, 01:22:07 PM »

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2007, 01:56:45 PM »

Jag, the Tehc is growing in leaps and bounds. Read up in Gem and Mineral monthly. YOu will get a bad scare. THe days of this stuff being easily ID'd are over. Use teh spendy jewlers taht will stand behind a screw up. ANd I know you map your stones. Your pretty smart for a liberal ;D.

HRMPH!

Your a closet capitilist, you cant hide it ;).

What can i say, I'm a compassionate capitalist. That's the definition of Liberal in Canada - compassionate capitalism
psst - Don't tell anybody though. shhh. that'll be our little secret ok?   :-X
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2007, 02:01:43 PM »
What pen?

It's a pen that looks very similar to a diabetes pen, except instead of pricking your finger and drawing blood,
you poke the diamond, and if it's a real diamond, it will radiate heat, and cause the pen to beep authenticating the stone. If it doesn't beep, you know you've got a cubic. Also too, depending on the size of the stone, another thing you can do is to turn out all the lights. Real diamonds will glow in the dark. My personal theory is that it's not so much that the diamond is glowing, but rather the light is refracting off the many facets, and bouncing around in the diamond. Almost like it's trapped in there and bouncing around from facet to facet like a pin ball. The pen is far more accurate though.
w

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2007, 06:56:58 PM »
It's a pen that looks very similar to a diabetes pen, except instead of pricking your finger and drawing blood,
you poke the diamond, and if it's a real diamond, it will radiate heat, and cause the pen to beep authenticating the stone. If it doesn't beep, you know you've got a cubic. Also too, depending on the size of the stone, another thing you can do is to turn out all the lights. Real diamonds will glow in the dark. My personal theory is that it's not so much that the diamond is glowing, but rather the light is refracting off the many facets, and bouncing around in the diamond. Almost like it's trapped in there and bouncing around from facet to facet like a pin ball. The pen is far more accurate though.

Carefull carefull Carefull w/ the new synthetics that come out day by day.
They got Natural Burmese Rubie internal crackle down to a T!
Get a copy of that 1st catalog off the link above. Put the fear of God in you if your buying private.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2007, 10:42:53 AM »

Any guy that would buy the love of his life a diamond at Walmart of all places has got some serious problems. You definately need a reputable jewler. Thank God for my uncle here in Toronto.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2007, 01:23:54 PM »

That's the trouble with life - things are only worth what people will pay for them. And if some fool is going to pay mucho moolah for an uncut diamond then the greedy jewellery shops will be only too happy to oblige.

It ain't right I tells ya.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2007, 02:58:52 PM »
That's the trouble with life - things are only worth what people will pay for them. And if some fool is going to pay mucho moolah for an uncut diamond then the greedy jewellery shops will be only too happy to oblige.

It ain't right I tells ya.

Rubies and Emeralds and    22.5 - 24K Gold are very pretty.