Author Topic: Michelle Obama takes heat from Tennessee GOP  (Read 3911 times)

War-Horse

• Getbig V
Re: Michelle Obama takes heat from Tennessee GOP
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2008, 02:11:10 PM »
No offense but do you even know what her major was? Or what she was given a certificate in?

Sociology, certificate in African American Studies. You do the correlation, I think that when we graduate in something it makes a pretty big impression on us before we enter college and afterwards..

I guess those people that graduate in a specific field of study give it just a grain of salt  

Whats wrong with wanting to further your race.   It happens to be an issue you know.   Pursuing education and contributing to society is better than urging them to watch MTV and live like govt hoes......

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2008, 02:22:50 PM »

Whats wrong with wanting to further your race.   It happens to be an issue you know.   Pursuing education and contributing to society is better than urging them to watch MTV and live like govt hoes......

Your right, nothing wrong with it. Do you know what that is called? It's not altruism I can tell you that much.

Mind if I run on the platform that I want to further the white race? Really, explain this difference to me. I'd like to pursue education and contribute to society, it happens to be an issue you know

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2008, 03:45:14 PM »
Your right, nothing wrong with it. Do you know what that is called? It's not altruism I can tell you that much.

Mind if I run on the platform that I want to further the white race? Really, explain this difference to me. I'd like to pursue education and contribute to society, it happens to be an issue you know

Well, is your race held down by media as no good welfarites who glory in having babies to collect a check twice a month, and whose males are seen to be thugs and to be doing 10-life in the big house soon??    i admit some may have played into this role, but by her taking the higher road to education, this is a noble thing....bill cosby , colin powell and other intelligent thinkers have proved that where you are is not where you need to be.

If this is not a race thing with you, then no.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2008, 07:13:10 AM »
Pennsylvania is not in the south.  That’s where he made his condescending and ill-advised comments. 
It's south of where I'm at.  In fact the southern hillbilly dialect makes it as far north as northern Indiana.

The spirit of comments was accurate.  He has to remember that a political leader cannot describe reality.  He has to lie.

Like President UNITER lied. 

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2008, 07:43:23 AM »

Well, is your race held down by media as no good welfarites who glory in having babies to collect a check twice a month, and whose males are seen to be thugs and to be doing 10-life in the big house soon??     i admit some may have played into this role, but by her taking the higher road to education, this is a noble thing....bill cosby , colin powell and other intelligent thinkers have proved that where you are is not where you need to be.

If this is not a race thing with you, then no.

haha yes. Yeah Cosby is tackling "the problem" but how many people ae going to listen to him, that actually need to? Powell, wow what a strategeist, ashame he went out on the line with the Bush Admin, huge loss for the U.S. not to have him in the house. I would vote for any candidate if they were to get him back in.

YAM, i really see nothing in the above post that's shocking or disturbing.

NT  

I think it is she has a racial divide attitude. People think Hillary is scary  :-X

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2008, 09:07:36 AM »
Obama standing up for his woman.  Is this an empty threat?  What exactly is going to do if people don't lay off his wife?

Obama to Tennessee GOP: My Wife is Off-Limits
by FOXNews.com
Monday, May 19, 2008

WASHINGTON — Barack Obama is crying foul play to the Tennessee Republican Party for using a quote made by his wife in a new video it released last week.

In the four-minute video now available on YouTube, Michelle Obama is shown delivering a a February speech in which she says, “For the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country.” The ad then quotes Nashville voters asking them to list the reasons they are proud of their country.

Asked about the video, the Democratic presidential candidate told ABC’s “Good Morning America” on Monday that the ad is “low class,” warned that the Tennessee GOP “should be careful” and said he finds it “unacceptable” for them to use his wife in an video.

“The GOP, should I be the nominee, can say whatever they want to say about me, my track record,” Obama said, with his wife sitting next to him. “If they think that they’re going to try to make Michelle an issue in this campaign, they should be careful because that I find unacceptable, the notion that you start attacking my wife or my family.”

In a news release that included a link to the video, Tennessee’s GOP said “the Tennessee Republican Party has always been proud of America.” It urged radio stations to play “patriotic music” during Michelle Obama’s visit to Nashville last Thursday.

Tennessee GOP Communications Director Bill Hobbs told FOXNews.com that the party was “kicking around some ideas what could we do to make a little noise” in advance of Michelle Obama’s fund-raising trip to the city. Hobbs said the idea was conceived and executed in a matter of hours, was produced in house with “a Sony handycam and a laptop,” and not a dollar was spent buying ad time for the video to air.

Hobbes said the video doesn’t criticize Michelle Obama at all, but merely raises an issue that had already been scrutinized by the public.

“We contrasted something she said in a public campaign speech at a public event that was covered by the news media,” Hobbes said. “It’s not like we’re the first people to raise this issue. We just made a light-hearted video. … Senator Obama has a pattern of requesting certain things that are uncomfortable to him as off-limits … She is on the campaign trail, so I don’t think she is off-limits. He sends her out to do campaign speeches and fundraisers, and then says we can’t criticize the things she says. I think that’s ridiculous.”

Michelle Obama first made the remark in February and repeated it a couple times at campaign events before later saying she meant she was proud of how Americans were engaging in the political process and that she had always been proud of her country.

“Whoever is in charge of the Tennessee GOP needs to think long and hard about the kind of campaign they want to run, and I think that’s true for everybody, Democrat or Republican,” Obama said in the ABC interview, adding: “These folks should lay off my wife.”

Obama said his wife “loves this country. For them to try to distort or to play snippets of her remarks in ways that are unflattering to her is, I think, just low class. I think that most of the American people would think that as well.”

Tennessee’s Republican Party was roundly criticized in March, including by likely presidential nominee John McCain, for a news release that used Barack Obama’s middle name — Hussein — and showed a photo of him wearing what it said was “Muslim attire.”

The release ultimately was removed from the party’s Web site at the urging of the state’s two Republican senators and Republican National Committee Chairman Mike Duncan, who said he “rejects these kinds of campaign tactics.”

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/05/19/obama-to-tennessee-gop-my-wife-is-off-limits/

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2008, 11:50:40 AM »
"There was no doubt in my mind that as a member of the black community, I am obligated to this community and will utilize all of my present and future resources to benefit the black community first and foremost. "

This is a problem if you are running for office or become a first lady who is one of the most influential people in the nation.  I understand this way of thinking, but not for a first lady.  No way.  People who truely feel like this should continue to focus their efforts and talents in that community.

Barack & Michele are exceptional people, but their backround and experience may not be appropriate to lead the entire country IMO.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2008, 11:51:37 AM »
Your wife is 'off limits' when she stops giving political speeches.  Thats an easy one.  Thats also why McCain probably won't have Cindy doing tons of speaking engagements.  She has skeletons to criticize in her closet too!

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2008, 11:59:54 AM »
Obama standing up for his woman.  Is this an empty threat?  What exactly is going to do if people don't lay off his wife?

"It's just low class"

What is up with him, and his wife with references to social hiearchy? All the time, anyone noticed this?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2008, 12:05:05 PM »
Your wife is 'off limits' when she stops giving political speeches.  Thats an easy one.  Thats also why McCain probably won't have Cindy doing tons of speaking engagements.  She has skeletons to criticize in her closet too!

That's what I was thinking too. 

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2008, 02:52:51 PM »
isn't cindy mccain an ex drug addict and felon ?

NT

She's also a homewrecker I've heard.  Sounds like a good repug over all.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2008, 02:56:32 PM »
Thats why she isn't up front giving a lot of political speeches.  I don't think Cindy will have the kind of political influence like Michelle will.  Michelle will probably be more like Hillary as first lady.
Put a lot of these things together...Michelle's thesis, her quotes, their close association with Rev Wright, their 'community organizing' in minority communities, association with Chicago's far left liberal base and they speak for themsleves.  We can see who the Obamas are outside the 'change' and 'new politics' feel good rhetoric.  Obama is a intelligent and influential person. He should continue to champion minority causes, which is noble and needed.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2008, 02:58:32 PM »
Nothing could be worse than having a first lady who *killed* someone - which you have presently.

Are you talking about Cindy McCain or Laura Bush?  What is the story (I haven't read the whole thread)?
R

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2008, 03:01:00 PM »
Are you talking about Cindy McCain or Laura Bush?  What is the story (I haven't read the whole thread)?

At a stop sign in the middle of nowhere Texas, Laura Bush ran into the car of a dude she dated and killed him.  Don't know if you've ever been to nowhere Texas, but given how goddam flat the place is, it's kind of an accomplishment.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2008, 03:03:22 PM »
At a stop sign in the middle of nowhere Texas, Laura Bush ran into the car of a dude she dated and killed him.  Don't know if you've ever been to nowhere Texas, but given how goddam flat the place is, it's kind of an accomplishment.
Interesting!  Thanks for the info calmus
R

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2008, 05:06:16 PM »
Racism is simply an ugly form of collectivism, the mindset that views humans only as members of groups and never as individuals. Racists believe that all individuals who share superficial physical characteristics are alike; as collectivists, racists think only in terms of groups. By encouraging Americans to adopt a group mentality, the advocates of so-called "diversity" actually perpetuate racism. Their intense focus on race is inherently racist, because it views individuals only as members of racial groups.

The true antidote to racism is liberty. Liberty means having a limited, constitutional government devoted to the protection of individual rights rather than group claims. Liberty means free-market capitalism, which rewards individual achievement and competence, not skin color, gender, or ethnicity.

More importantly, in a free society every citizen gains a sense of himself as an individual, rather than developing a group or victim mentality. This leads to a sense of individual responsibility and personal pride, making skin color irrelevant. Rather than looking to government to correct what is essentially a sin of the heart, we should understand that reducing racism requires a shift from group thinking to an emphasis on individualism.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2008, 10:54:35 PM »
Rather than looking to government to correct what is essentially a sin of the heart, we should understand that reducing racism requires a shift from group thinking to an emphasis on individualism.

Exactly we will never get anywhere when the emphasis is always put on race and as sad as it is the african american community is the one that generally calls attention to it, hindering their cause.

"There was no doubt in my mind that as a member of the black community, I am obligated to this community and will utilize all of my present and future resources to benefit the black community first and foremost. "

This is a problem if you are running for office or become a first lady who is one of the most influential people in the nation.  I understand this way of thinking, but not for a first lady.  No way.  People who truely feel like this should continue to focus their efforts and talents in that community.
Again exactly for a person who will undoubtedly have a good amount of influence over a person who is supposed to represent everybody black, white, asian, hispanic etc... this is a major character flaw, I understand this way of thinking and can agree with it in certain situations but not in the position that she and her husband would be in. In her position I would hope she would be an American first and a black person second is all and it doesnt sound like she would.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2008, 11:39:42 PM »
In her position I would hope she would be an American first and a black person second is all and it doesnt sound like she would.

Are you fucking kidding me?  All most of white America sees first is the color of her skin, before they even see a human being. I guess if she was a god-like human being she could overcome this, but she's just responding like a human being. 

I see asinine posts about race made here daily, and there isn't a single thread protesting them.... but God forbid some black person actually engages in some defensive posturing.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2008, 09:28:06 AM »
Blindare, thats truely one of the most reasonable and logical view on race I've ever seen.
That is undeniably the ultimate goal.

Calmus, I can understand why someone would feel that way, particularly if they have been discriminated against...but I don't see an overwhelming case of racism pertaining to Michelle and what she was able to acheive in this country.  Also, thats not the attitude we want our most powerful leaders to have.  Michelle, Barack and the others must be held to higher standards because they are competing for the most important and influential position in the country.

Yes, a person's skin is obvious and some idiots can't get past it...but for most people, its only an issue when they don't like what the person stands for or is preaching.  How many 'white' people bitch about other black leaders who don't have some of Michelle's black liberation-like views.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2008, 09:34:02 AM »
Racism is simply an ugly form of collectivism, the mindset that views humans only as members of groups and never as individuals. Racists believe that all individuals who share superficial physical characteristics are alike; as collectivists, racists think only in terms of groups. By encouraging Americans to adopt a group mentality, the advocates of so-called "diversity" actually perpetuate racism. Their intense focus on race is inherently racist, because it views individuals only as members of racial groups.

The true antidote to racism is liberty. Liberty means having a limited, constitutional government devoted to the protection of individual rights rather than group claims. Liberty means free-market capitalism, which rewards individual achievement and competence, not skin color, gender, or ethnicity.

More importantly, in a free society every citizen gains a sense of himself as an individual, rather than developing a group or victim mentality. This leads to a sense of individual responsibility and personal pride, making skin color irrelevant. Rather than looking to government to correct what is essentially a sin of the heart, we should understand that reducing racism requires a shift from group thinking to an emphasis on individualism.

Is this from John Stuart Mill?

Good post, but I would not find Obama or Michelle's view to be libertarian in terms of individualism, or basic rights. Her thesis paper will demonstrate this when it is released.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2008, 09:36:05 AM »

cindy mcbush is a drug addict, a felon and a homewrecker ?

damn.....

NT

She's living the dream.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2008, 09:39:54 AM »
She doesn't seem to be someone that demands much respect, knowing that history.  I agree.
Some people can change, hopefully she has.  Fortunately, she does not seem very influential in this campaign.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2008, 10:42:00 AM »
Are you fucking kidding me?  All most of white America sees first is the color of her skin, before they even see a human being. I guess if she was a god-like human being she could overcome this, but she's just responding like a human being. 

I see asinine posts about race made here daily, and there isn't a single thread protesting them.... but God forbid some black person actually engages in some defensive posturing.
NO Im not FUCKING KIDDING YOU!
Yes there are ppl out there that see race first and guess what shes one of them, this is not the way of thinking that will bring cohesiveness or obamas utopia for sure...Again I have no problem with somebody of any race black, white, hispanic, asian etc...trying to further there race or their community but the president and those that influence him which undoubtedly would be his WIFE should not think in these terms.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2008, 10:53:41 AM »
NO Im not FUCKING KIDDING YOU!
Yes there are ppl out there that see race first and guess what shes one of them, this is not the way of thinking that will bring cohesiveness or obamas utopia for sure...Again I have no problem with somebody of any race black, white, hispanic, asian etc...trying to further there race or their community but the president and those that influence him which undoubtedly would be his WIFE should not think in these terms.

Ask yourself why you're more concerned about her issues than you are with the well-documented failings of the Republican candidates.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2008, 11:24:27 AM »
Ask yourself why you're more concerned about her issues than you are with the well-documented failings of the Republican candidates.

::)

Perhaps because he cares about the future of his country and her past "issues", rather than a republican who will soon be out of office