Author Topic: All about guitar  (Read 15630 times)

bigmc

• Getbig V
Re: Gotta give props to FATMC... he's quite the guitar player *vid of fatmc*
« Reply #125 on: April 13, 2014, 08:34:05 AM »
Lol, Malmsteen.. dude is so great but such a pretentious douche.

Oh well, we don't appreciate them for their personal lives, lol.

yeah

if he could fuck himself he would

its a shame he could have been a super star

if he didn't insist on 40 min guitar solos in every song
T

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #126 on: April 13, 2014, 08:34:13 AM »
Lol, Malmsteen.. dude is so great but such a pretentious douche.

Oh well, we don't appreciate them for their personal lives, lol.

This is true.

I watched Yngwie get slammed right in the face by the bass player from Alcatrazz years ago at a NAMM show in Anaheim.

At that time Yngwie was still highly unknown. He had made an album with a band called "Steeler" and showed some of his skills.

He can't get along with anyone. Makes it kind of difficult to keep a good touring band going.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #127 on: April 13, 2014, 08:36:39 AM »

This is true.

I watched Yngwie get slammed right in the face by the bass player from Alcatrazz years ago at a NAMM show in Anaheim.

At that time Yngwie was still highly unknown. He had made an album with a band called "Steeler" and showed some of his skills.

He can't get along with anyone. Makes it kind of difficult to keep a good touring band going.

have you heard him playing the blues
T

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #128 on: April 13, 2014, 08:40:57 AM »
yeah

if he could fuck himself he would

its a shame he could have been a super star

if he didn't insist on 40 min guitar solos in every song
Well, he believes he's a performer cut from the cloth of the great maestro's from classical music history... thats why he wears his goofy ass clothes, they're a throwback to the impressarios of the past. He believes hes on the same level as Bach and Beethoven, and the great composers of that era.

He literally was a kid that never left his basement and only played guitar... which shows through because as Dyslexic said, everyone he meets hates his guts. Hes a true socially inept narcissist whos character flaws propelled him into semi-stardom.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #129 on: April 13, 2014, 08:42:22 AM »
Well, he believes he's a performer cut from the cloth of the great maestro's from classical music history... thats why he wears his goofy ass clothes, they're a throwback to the impressarios of the past. He believes hes on the same level as Bach and Beethoven, and the great composers of that era.

He literally was a kid that never left his basement and only played guitar... which shows through because as Dyslexic said, everyone he meets hates his guts. Hes a true socially inept narcissist whos character flaws propelled him into semi-stardom.

fucker can shred though

like a beast
T

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #130 on: April 13, 2014, 08:43:17 AM »
fucker can shred though

like a beast
Oh he is.. and he's actually a great composer.. it's just that he knows it. Some of the arrangements he did with that full orchestra on youtube were just incredible.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #131 on: April 13, 2014, 08:46:15 AM »
Oh he is.. and he's actually a great composer.. it's just that he knows it. Some of the arrangements he did with that full orchestra on youtube were just incredible.

i can play some of his licks

but never been able to put a full solo together

the way he runs scales

i cant get my fingers to follow that style  :'(
T

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #132 on: April 13, 2014, 08:55:44 AM »
i can play some of his licks

but never been able to put a full solo together

the way he runs scales

i cant get my fingers to follow that style  :'(
Hes one of a kind. He also plays that crazy scalloped fretted Strat.

Sweep Arpegios were something I struggled with for a long time... It was hard for me to get used to keeping my pick hand sweeping at an even pace as I picked the string and moved on... I worked for a long time on sweeping one direction, then the other... and then I started working on the turnaround, sweeping across the top 3 or 4 strings and turning around and coming back the other way. Took a LONG time to get, and I still haven't mastered it. The way he does it is mind boggling IMHO.

Its a helluva lot easier for me to pick laterally at high speed than it was to pick across strings. Just my technique, I guess. I had a lot of bad habits I had to break in order to get it right as well. Nothing sounds as cool as a 6 string sweep plus adding the right hand to tap at the high end of the arpeggio.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #133 on: April 13, 2014, 08:58:20 AM »
Hes one of a kind. He also plays that crazy scalloped fretted Strat.

Sweep Arpegios were something I struggled with for a long time... It was hard for me to get used to keeping my pick hand sweeping at an even pace as I picked the string and moved on... I worked for a long time on sweeping one direction, then the other... and then I started working on the turnaround, sweeping across the top 3 or 4 strings and turning around and coming back the other way. Took a LONG time to get, and I still haven't mastered it. The way he does it is mind boggling IMHO.

Its a helluva lot easier for me to pick laterally at high speed than it was to pick across strings. Just my technique, I guess. I had a lot of bad habits I had to break in order to get it right as well. Nothing sounds as cool as a 6 string sweep plus adding the right hand to tap at the high end of the arpeggio.

yeah

i can blur my fingers picking like that

good for fast metal style

but i cant get that classical vibe

i can do it from high to low like a reverse sweep

but not up and down

i think its a case of discipline and endlessly repeating it
T

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #134 on: April 13, 2014, 09:09:11 AM »
yeah

i can blur my fingers picking like that

good for fast metal style

but i cant get that classical vibe

i can do it from high to low like a reverse sweep

but not up and down

i think its a case of discipline and endlessly repeating it
It is. It helps to break it up into chunks where you're having trouble and then putting them together when you get the movement down. As I increased speed I found I was missing the frets slightly when moving from string to string... so it became literally sitting there and doing the same thing over and over for an hour,  taking breaks here and there to jam out a little to keep from burning out. It was tough.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #135 on: April 13, 2014, 12:11:32 PM »
have you heard him playing the blues

Oh hell yeah!

I've sat and jammed with him and many others like Jake E Lee, Warren Dimartini and Robin (when he was still kickin') George Lynch, Vinnie Vincent.

A lot of people don't realize that most of these guitarists are VERY WELL ROUNDED when it comes to different styles of music. Most people figure if you shred, that's all you can do.

Yngwie has a very solid understanding of music theory, any musician who knows their musical theory will be able to play anything, it just might not be what you want to hear.

Steve Stevens (formerly with Billy Idol) is a very well-versed guitarist. He did a solo project with Vince Neil from the Crue and he shredded and ripped with insane precision in every song. Even wrote a few hits on the album. Now he is playing some esoteric/enigmatic neo-classical-flamenco-rock shit. It's not bad, it just ain't my cup of tea.

A lot of people get real surprised when they hear you play another style of music. They don't realize that really.. it's all the same. You have certain notes to choose from. The question is: Which intervals do you prefer?

Yngwie is so distinctive because he will overlay the fifth mode of the Harmonic minor scale right over the top of the diminished scale. Once you hear either scale, you will never forget it.

Jimmy page played a whole-tone scale in a very, very popular Zep song years ago. It was called "Over the hills and far away" ~ he also played the harmonic minor scale blatantly in the live version of the Immigrant song.

These aren't scales that you just "happen" upon. They are taught... and understood.

Myself? I am a huge blues fan. When you mix blues licks and rock licks (Pentatonic and Diatonic Scales) together, you get a much more solid and fulfilling sound than just one-liners with the pedal to the metal.

Eddie Van halen shreds to all hell, right? Well, you know what makes him sound so good? Not his speed, not his precision, not his creativity, not his amps... it's the blues. Ed has a very, very solid blues base. Flatted fifths pretty much define him. He uses the blues to add some swing and taste to his insanity. Surely that is why he admires Clapton so much.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #136 on: April 13, 2014, 12:16:14 PM »
Oh hell yeah!

I've sat and jammed with him and many others like Jake E Lee, Warren Dimartini and Robin (when he was still kickin') George Lynch, Vinnie Vincent.

Ever listen to any of his Badlands stuff?

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #137 on: April 13, 2014, 12:19:46 PM »
Oh hell yeah!

A lot of people don't realize that most of these guitarists are VERY WELL ROUNDED when it comes to different styles of music. Most people figure if you shred, that's all you can do.

Yngwie has a very solid understanding of music theory, any musician who knows their musical theory will be able to play anything, it just might not be what you want to hear.

Steve Stevens (formerly with Billy Idol) is a very well-versed guitarist. He did a solo project with Vince Neil from the Crue and he shredded and ripped with insane precision in every song. Even wrote a few hits on the album. Now he is playing some esoteric/enigmatic neo-classical-flamenco-rock shit. It's not bad, it just ain't my cup of tea.

A lot of people get real surprised when they hear you play another style of music. They don't realize that really.. it's all the same. You have certain notes to choose from. The question is: Which intervals do you prefer?

Yngwie is so distinctive because he will overlay the fifth mode of the Harmonic minor scale right over the top of the diminished scale. Once you hear either scale, you will never forget it.

Jimmy page played a whole-tone scale in a very, very popular Zep song years ago. It was called "Over the hills and far away" ~ he also played the harmonic minor scale blatantly in the live version of the Immigrant song.

These aren't scales that you just "happen" upon. They are taught... and understood.

Myself? I am a huge blues fan. When you mix blues licks and rock licks (Pentatonic and Diatonic Scales) together, you get a much more solid and fulfilling sound than just one-liners with the pedal to the metal.

Eddie Van halen shreds to all hell, right? Well, you know what makes him sound so good? Not his speed, not his precision, not his creativity, not his amps... it's the blues. Ed has a very, very solid blues base. Flatted fifths pretty much define him. He uses the blues to add some swing and taste to his insanity. Surely that is why he admires Clapton so much.

I've always struggled to fit the harmonic minor in a lot of places... unless I wrote the song around that sound.

The ear some of those guys have developed is insane... I kind of stopped learning actual theory after I quit playing Jazz trumpet in high school. I kick myself every day because of it, especially when I jam with guys who really went to the woodshed on it.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #138 on: April 13, 2014, 12:20:49 PM »
Ever listen to any of his Badlands stuff?

yeah the solos on the first album were fucking insane
T

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: April 13, 2014, 12:22:52 PM »
yeah the solos on the first album were fucking insane

Man, I love all three.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #140 on: April 13, 2014, 12:24:33 PM »
Man, I love all three.

what are the other two called il check them out
T

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #141 on: April 13, 2014, 12:26:54 PM »
what are the other two called il check them out

Voodoo Highway and Dusk.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #142 on: April 13, 2014, 12:29:44 PM »
Voodoo Highway and Dusk.

cheers il have a look

i always felt his sols are really well constructed

T

ismoseppo

« Reply #143 on: April 13, 2014, 12:34:20 PM »
man you guys kill the guitar playing, i was watching dyslexics vids for a while

even commented on one lol

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #144 on: April 13, 2014, 12:35:06 PM »
cheers il have a look

i always felt his sols are really well constructed

Great bluesy rock/metal, you won't be disappointed.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #145 on: April 13, 2014, 12:39:24 PM »
Fatmac is just a Dick who Needs a good kicking. Hides behind his pc. When i look at the pic of his face i laughed. This chopper was going to give me a fucking square go?  Guy is a fanny.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #146 on: April 13, 2014, 12:42:03 PM »
Much better as a guitar thread. Shame.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #147 on: April 13, 2014, 12:42:47 PM »
Fat Bloated wrinkly  ;D just Shows Drugs donīt help.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #148 on: April 13, 2014, 12:46:09 PM »
oh look its the town drunk

the cowardly alcoholic

if that is me how much of a dick are you ringing round all the gyms in Liverpool bad mouthing mik Macintyre

that makes you a retard my friend
son you are just a big mouth on here. A fanny. i would burst you in two seconds. you shit out son ..you are just a punk.

gee38

• Getbig IV
« Reply #149 on: April 13, 2014, 12:49:27 PM »
donny

did you phone the bloke at one of the gyms grassing stuff up or not?

you did.

man in question

'he sounded like he wanted a way out'

besides the other person on another board you offended and racially abused...... worry about that one. i pm'ed you how to sort it you melted. you fucking quilt