Author Topic: Marine Officer That Asked Leadership For Accountability Thrown In Jail  (Read 2289 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Marine Officer That Asked Leadership For Accountability Thrown In Jail
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2021, 11:11:15 AM »
Could have been a lot worse, but this entire thing still stinks.

Fired Marine commander Scheller charged with six crimes, faces court-martial
BY COREY DICKSTEIN• STARS AND STRIPES • OCTOBER 6, 2021

Marine Lt. Col. Stuart Scheller Jr. will face a misdemeanor-level special court-martial on six charges filed by the Corps this week related to his public admonishing of American officials handling of the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan, service officials announced Wednesday.

Scheller, whose social media posts blasting top civilian and military officials garnered hundreds of thousands of views in the days after 13 U.S. troops were killed in a bombing at the Kabul airport, was formally charged Monday, one day before he was released from the brig at Camp Lejeune, N.C., a Marine spokesman said. He is accused of violating Uniform Code of Military Justice Article 88 by displaying contempt toward officials, Article 89 by disrespecting superior commissioned officers, Article 90 by willfully disobeying a superior commissioned officer, Article 92 by dereliction in the performance of his duties and failure to obey an order or regulation, and Article 133 by displaying conduct unbecoming an officer and a gentleman.

Those charges were referred on Wednesday morning to a special court-martial by Maj. Gen. Julian D. Alford, who leads Marine Training Command, according to Capt. Sam Stephenson, a spokesman for the command. A special court-martial limits the maximum punishment for service members found guilty​, and cannot sentence an officer found guilty to confinement or a punitive discharge. Sheller could face a loss of two-thirds pay per month, if convicted, according to the UCMJ.

Stephenson said Wednesday that no hearings had been scheduled in Scheller’s case.

The lieutenant colonel was released from the brig on Tuesday after spending about one week in pre-trial confinement on suspicions of violating the UCMJ as the result of an agreement between Scheller’s defense attorneys and Alford, Stephenson said. He declined to provide any additional details about that agreement, including what further impact it could have on Scheller’s case.

Scheller was held in an individual cell in the Camp Lejeune brig, but he was not held in solitary confinement at any time, Stephenson said. He was in regular contact with other prisoners and staff during his confinement and allowed at least two hours of recreation time per day.

Scheller is a 17-year infantry officer who has served in Iraq and Afghanistan. He was fired from his job commanding one of Camp Lejeune’s infantry training battalions on Aug. 27, after he posted a video on Facebook and LinkedIn demanding accountability for top military and civilian officials in the hours after the deadly bombing at Hamid Karzai International Airport, where U.S. troops worked to evacuate more than 100,000 people from Kabul after the Taliban takeover of Afghanistan.

Scheller expressed his “growing discontent and contempt for … perceived ineptitude at the foreign policy level” in the viral video in which he appeared in his combat uniform. In follow-up videos, he accused Marine Gen. Kenneth “Frank” McKenzie, the commander of U.S. Central Command, of dereliction of duty and he promised to resign his commission and help “bring the whole (expletive) system down.”

Corps officials have said Marines have proper channels via their chains of command to raise concerns about issues, but criticizing leadership via social media is not acceptable.

Scheller plans to face the charges in a court-martial, according to a statement issued Tuesday by the Pipe Hitter Foundation, which has raised money for Scheller’s defense. The foundation is run by former Navy SEAL Eddie Gallagher and his wife. Gallagher was court-martialed in 2019 on allegations of war crimes, but he was acquitted of most of the charges. He was allowed to retire as a SEAL chief petty officer, after former President Donald Trump intervened in his case because the Navy sought to remove him from the elite ranks of the SEALs and demote him.

The Pipe Hitter Foundation said Scheller remains subjected to a gag order, which it labeled “unlawful.” It also said he had formally requested to resign his commission instead of facing a court-martial.

https://www.stripes.com/branches/marine_corps/2021-10-06/marine-scheller-charges-court-martial-afghanistan-videos-3148509.html

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2021, 11:19:11 AM »
Accused war criminal's foundation forced to refund MAGA donors angered by anti-Trump posts

https://www.salon.com/2021/10/07/accused-criminals-foundation-forced-to-refund-maga-donors-angered-by-anti-posts/

"President Trump. I was told by everyone to kiss the ring because of your following and power. I refuse. While I respect your foreign policy positions, I hate how you divided the country. I don't need or want your help. You do not have the ability to pull [the] U.S. together. You may even win the next election. But your generation's time is running out."

"Tell your son to stop tweeting about me. Your whole family knows nothing about [the] U.S. or our sacrifices. I could never work with you. I'd rather sit in jail and be released with a dishonorable [discharge] than make compromises in my beliefs."

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2021, 05:59:54 PM »
Could have been a lot worse, but this entire thing still stinks.

Fired Marine commander Scheller charged with six crimes, faces court-martial
BY COREY DICKSTEIN• STARS AND STRIPES • OCTOBER 6, 2021

Marine Lt. Col. Stuart Scheller Jr. will face a misdemeanor-level special court-martial on six charges filed by the Corps this week related to his public admonishing of American officials handling of the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan, service officials announced Wednesday.

Scheller, whose social media posts blasting top civilian and military officials garnered hundreds of thousands of views in the days after 13 U.S. troops were killed in a bombing at the Kabul airport, was formally charged Monday, one day before he was released from the brig at Camp Lejeune, N.C., a Marine spokesman said. He is accused of violating Uniform Code of Military Justice Article 88 by displaying contempt toward officials, Article 89 by disrespecting superior commissioned officers, Article 90 by willfully disobeying a superior commissioned officer, Article 92 by dereliction in the performance of his duties and failure to obey an order or regulation, and Article 133 by displaying conduct unbecoming an officer and a gentleman.

Those charges were referred on Wednesday morning to a special court-martial by Maj. Gen. Julian D. Alford, who leads Marine Training Command, according to Capt. Sam Stephenson, a spokesman for the command. A special court-martial limits the maximum punishment for service members found guilty​, and cannot sentence an officer found guilty to confinement or a punitive discharge. Sheller could face a loss of two-thirds pay per month, if convicted, according to the UCMJ.

Stephenson said Wednesday that no hearings had been scheduled in Scheller’s case.

The lieutenant colonel was released from the brig on Tuesday after spending about one week in pre-trial confinement on suspicions of violating the UCMJ as the result of an agreement between Scheller’s defense attorneys and Alford, Stephenson said. He declined to provide any additional details about that agreement, including what further impact it could have on Scheller’s case.

Scheller was held in an individual cell in the Camp Lejeune brig, but he was not held in solitary confinement at any time, Stephenson said. He was in regular contact with other prisoners and staff during his confinement and allowed at least two hours of recreation time per day.

Scheller is a 17-year infantry officer who has served in Iraq and Afghanistan. He was fired from his job commanding one of Camp Lejeune’s infantry training battalions on Aug. 27, after he posted a video on Facebook and LinkedIn demanding accountability for top military and civilian officials in the hours after the deadly bombing at Hamid Karzai International Airport, where U.S. troops worked to evacuate more than 100,000 people from Kabul after the Taliban takeover of Afghanistan.

Scheller expressed his “growing discontent and contempt for … perceived ineptitude at the foreign policy level” in the viral video in which he appeared in his combat uniform. In follow-up videos, he accused Marine Gen. Kenneth “Frank” McKenzie, the commander of U.S. Central Command, of dereliction of duty and he promised to resign his commission and help “bring the whole (expletive) system down.”

Corps officials have said Marines have proper channels via their chains of command to raise concerns about issues, but criticizing leadership via social media is not acceptable.

Scheller plans to face the charges in a court-martial, according to a statement issued Tuesday by the Pipe Hitter Foundation, which has raised money for Scheller’s defense. The foundation is run by former Navy SEAL Eddie Gallagher and his wife. Gallagher was court-martialed in 2019 on allegations of war crimes, but he was acquitted of most of the charges. He was allowed to retire as a SEAL chief petty officer, after former President Donald Trump intervened in his case because the Navy sought to remove him from the elite ranks of the SEALs and demote him.

The Pipe Hitter Foundation said Scheller remains subjected to a gag order, which it labeled “unlawful.” It also said he had formally requested to resign his commission instead of facing a court-martial.

https://www.stripes.com/branches/marine_corps/2021-10-06/marine-scheller-charges-court-martial-afghanistan-videos-3148509.html

Shouldn’t be charged with any crimes…. Two tiered justice system

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2021, 06:04:05 PM »
Shouldn’t be charged with any crimes…. Two tiered justice system

No doubt.  They are not enforcing the rules fairly across the board.  There has to be accountability for him, but this is too much.  Cannot get over the irony of the only person demanding accountability being the only person actually being held accountable. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2021, 04:32:08 PM »
Marine jailed after criticizing Biden's Afghanistan withdrawal to plead guilty at court martial hearing
The guilty plea comes as part of a plea bargain deal that will allow Scheller to obtain a discharge that grants him some military benefits.
AMERICAN NEWS Oct 13, 2021
https://thepostmillennial.com/marine-jailed-plead-guilty-afghanistan?utm_campaign=64487

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2021, 02:58:25 PM »
Marine pleads guilty after viral video criticized Afghanistan withdrawal
BY ELEANOR WATSON AND ANISAH JABAR
OCTOBER 14, 2021 / CBS NEWS
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/stuart-scheller-marine-pleads-guilty-afghanistan-viral-video/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2021, 05:09:29 PM »
Marine officer blasts major general for calling him 'narcissistic' in reprimand letter
Scheller continues to push for military brass to take responsibility for the botched Afghanistan withdrawal
By Rebecca Rosenberg | Fox News

Marine Lt. Col. Stuart Scheller Jr. responded defiantly Thursday to a scathing letter of reprimand calling his actions "narcissistic" for posting social media videos criticizing the botched withdrawal from Afghanistan, according to documents exclusively obtained by Fox News.

"I am not narcissistic," wrote Scheller in the Oct. 28 letter. He pointed out that Maj. Gen. Julian D. Alford, who authored the letter of reprimand, had instructed him in his response to use "temperate language" and confine the contents to "pertinent facts."

"Yet in your letter, you felt compelled to use the word ‘narcissistic,’ which is neither ‘temperate,’ or ‘confined to pertinent facts,’" Scheller shot back.

The decorated Marine, who served in Iraq and Afghanistan, pleaded guilty to six misdemeanor-level violations of military law Oct. 15 during a special court-martial after spending nine days in the brig.

Military Judge Col. Glen Hines sentenced him to a letter of reprimand and a $5,000 fine – far less than prosecutors' recommendation of a $30,000 fine. The judge noted Scheller’s flawless 17-year record prior to posting the videos and said he "appeared to be someone in pain."

In the Oct. 26 letter, Alford wrote that Scheller had violated his solemn oath to support and defend the Constitution. "Your actions have harmed good order and discipline with the service as well as publicly discredited the U.S. Marine Corps," the general scolded. "Your narcissistic acts can serve only to erode the rule of law."

In Scheller’s two-page response, he blasted his superiors for putting him in jail "on the claim that I was a flight risk, which was unsupported by any facts" – and refusing to provide underwear, socks and other basic necessities during the first five days in solitary confinement.

He also demanded an investigation of his supervisors for allegedly leaking his medical records to a journalist, which he said was retaliation for speaking out.

The Marine objected to Alford personally writing the letter of reprimand and overseeing the prosecution when he had named himself as a victim in the charging sheet. Scheller argued that this constituted a conflict of interest.

"I have accepted responsibility and accountability for my actions," he wrote in closing. "I hope you ensure the same degree of accountability is exacted from those who … failed in their duties to ensure that 13 service members did not have to die needlessly."

The firestorm began Aug. 26 when Scheller, dressed in uniform, posted a video on social media slamming military brass for an ISIS-K suicide bombing at Kabul airport that left 13 service members and at least 169 Afghan civilians dead.

"I’m not saying we’ve got to be in Afghanistan forever, but I am saying: Did any of you throw your rank on the table and say, ‘Hey, it’s a bad idea to evacuate Bagram Airfield, a strategic airbase, before we evacuate everyone?’" said Scheller. "Did anyone do that? And when you didn’t think to do that, did anyone raise their hand and say, ‘We completely messed this up?'"

The next day Scheller was relieved of his command at one of Camp Lejuene’s infantry training battalions, but he continued posting videos critical of the U.S. exit from Afghanistan, leading to his stint in the brigs and his court-martial.

"This letter shows that Gen. Alford is allowing his ego to get in the way of his duties," said defense attorney Tim Parlatore when reached for comment. "This case represents more than Stu Scheller. Veterans are in pain after watching everything they fought for evaporate and knowing that it was avoidable."

A spokesperson for the U.S. Marine Corp. didn't immediately return a request for comment.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/lt-col-stuart-scheller-major-general-narcissistic-reprimand-letter

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2021, 05:29:18 PM »
Accused war criminal's foundation forced to refund MAGA donors angered by anti-Trump posts

https://www.salon.com/2021/10/07/accused-criminals-foundation-forced-to-refund-maga-donors-angered-by-anti-posts/

He probably shouldn’t have accepted the money if he knew where it was coming from. Glad Pipe Hitters is refunding those who requested it.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2021, 11:18:57 AM »
Marine officer who blasted bungled Afghan withdrawal is discharged from service
Stuart Scheller said he received a general discharge under honorable conditions, which is lower than an honorable discharge.
By John Solomon
December 24, 2021
https://justthenews.com/government/security/marine-officer-who-blasted-bungled-afghan-withdrawal-discharged-service

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2021, 10:21:15 AM »
He's lucky he didn't get a dismissal...the equivalent of a dishonorable discharge as only enlisted people can get that.    He was a soldier, not a civilian and his actions were unbecoming of a military officer.   He refused to follow orders by his superiors, by the judge and openly criticized Biden who is the Commander in Chief.   
A

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2021, 07:31:14 PM »
He's lucky he didn't get a dismissal...the equivalent of a dishonorable discharge as only enlisted people can get that.    He was a soldier, not a civilian and his actions were unbecoming of a military officer.   He refused to follow orders by his superiors, by the judge and openly criticized Biden who is the Commander in Chief.

The type of discharge would not have mattered to him.  He already gave up his retirement and all of the benefits that go with it.

I agree he needed to be fired from his command and should have faced discipline.  But I give him props for having the stones to say what needed to be said.  Very few people are willing to make this kind of sacrifice to stand on their convictions.  He was absolutely right about accountability.  The people around Biden did not do nearly enough to try and prevent the horrendous decisions by Biden that literally got people killed and injured.  Truly ironic that this guy is the only one who has actually been held accountable.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2022, 09:34:15 PM »
Ex-Marine discharged for criticizing botched Afghanistan exit, Stuart Scheller, says he has one major regret
Former Marine Lt. Col. Stuart Scheller Jr. said he wouldn't take back what he did even though it cost him his job and his wife
By Rebecca Rosenberg | Fox News
https://www.foxnews.com/us/ex-marine-discharged-criticized-botched-afghan-exit-says-one-major-regret