Author Topic: MIKE MENTZER: MR. NORTH AMERICA 1977  (Read 11512 times)

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
Re: MIKE MENTZER: MR. NORTH AMERICA 1977
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2021, 02:29:16 AM »
What is a Frank Calta routine? I never heard of him nor do I remember any reference to him by Mike.
[/quotehttp://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=670321.0
www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=670321.0

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2021, 02:32:45 AM »
I couldn't really follow HIT because when I read his booklet I was in high school and working out at home.  I had a 300 lb Weider  Olympic set and wobbly adjustable bench with an even wobblier squat rack attachment.  I had no way to do forced reps which seemed, according to Mentzer to be a requirement.

By the time I joined a gym which I think was either Jr or Sr year of high school I was following Calta's Routine which was ~ 6- 8 sets per body part per workout
At the time my gym (in Lewisville Texas) had a big room and a small room and they opened the big room to men on M-W-F and the women got the small room and then they reversed it on T-TH-Sat.   So it fit perfectly with Calta's routine.  I probably gained about 25 or 30 lbs in those two years doing that but also, of course I was still a teenager so just gaining weight/size by getting older as well

Later on in college I followed Lee Labrada's split and training with was similar in volume to Calta's routine. 

Mentzer's workout ideas in the 1990's were a much lower volume and frequency that he had previously advocated.  They seemed kind of ridiculous.

At the present moment I do about 9-12 sets per bp spread over 3 exercise per bp

So it wasn't so much his training principles but rather not having the proper environment to implement it?

How many days a week do you train?

nzgs

• Getbig III
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2021, 02:40:47 AM »
If he was alive today I am confident he would reject his previous beliefs on diet since they were clearly a reflection of this misguided "science" of the 80s. 65% carb diet has no basis in science and certainly no basis in anthropology of which people are becoming increasingly aware. I imagine Mike would be in the same camp as Prof Tim Noakes who was largely to blame for the high carb fad in exercise science, and who has done a complete 180 since then.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2021, 02:45:13 AM »
If he was alive today I am confident he would reject his previous beliefs on diet since they were clearly a reflection of this misguided "science" of the 80s. 65% carb diet has no basis in science and certainly no basis in anthropology of which people are becoming increasingly aware. I imagine Mike would be in the same camp as Prof Tim Noakes who was largely to blame for the high carb fad in exercise science, and who has done a complete 180 since then.
A calorie is a calorie.

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2021, 05:10:44 AM »
Mentzer lying about studying medicine at the end of the clip   ;D. Announcer describing him as a medical student. :D

This is what pissed off Arnold the most about Mike and (among other things, mainly Zane's disrespect) made him decide to compete in 1980. He was fed up with Mentzer's delusion about saying he was a medical student at every opportunity. He was going to teach Mike a lesson about being a bullshitter.  Little did Mike know that his lies about being a medical student would lead to his loss in 1980 and subsequent madness and death.  :'(

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2021, 07:45:03 AM »
What is a Frank Calta routine? I never heard of him nor do I remember any reference to him by Mike.

Mike never mentioned Calta but for the 1980 Olympia he followed his "Rotation for Recuperation" method.  I will use days of the week to get a clear concept of the methodology.  First week was Monday:Thighs-chest- triceps. Wednesday was Back-delts-biceps. Friday was back to Thighs-chest-triceps. Saturday and Sunday off. The next week Monday started with Back-delts-biceps. On Wednesday it was Thighs-chest-triceps. Friday was back to Back-delts-biceps. So body parts were either hit twice or once a week.  Mentzer switched to this rotation split after Frank Calta's routine came out in Iron Man and Mentzer adopted it. Yes, he never mentioned Calta but who else was doing this type split at the time of rotating how many days a body part gets worked?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2021, 08:25:35 AM »

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=670321.msg9540445#msg9540445

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2021, 12:46:12 PM »
Brutal if true

Kahn.N.Singh

• Getbig IV
  • Die Weltgeschichte ist das Weltgericht
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2021, 01:48:57 PM »
John Little who owns that channel is a big Mentzer fan. He was a friend of Mentzer IRL.

Here's a new video he uploaded aswell.

03:46 Well if you were to
03:47 listen to the hucksters of the
03:50 nutritional products you would believe
03:51 that your diet should be made up
03:52 entirely of protein
03:55 but if you listen to
03:56 qualified nutritional scientists
03:59 you'll hear most often that your diet
04:00 should be 65 percent carbohydrates 25
04:03 protein and 15 fats that's true for
04:06 athletes and the average individual like

;D

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2021, 03:29:26 PM »
Low carb diet is better for health and muscle size

Omega Male

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2021, 05:56:34 PM »

Not in my case, I dieted on low carb and looked like absolute shit, flat and stingy. I found through trial and error that I can't go below 200 carb grams a day, and if I do I get that shitty flat and stringy look.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2021, 06:12:48 PM »
03:46 Well if you were to
03:47 listen to the hucksters of the
03:50 nutritional products you would believe
03:51 that your diet should be made up
03:52 entirely of protein
03:55 but if you listen to
03:56 qualified nutritional scientists
03:59 you'll hear most often that your diet
04:00 should be 65 percent carbohydrates 25
04:03 protein and 15 fats that's true for
04:06 athletes and the average individual like

;D

I'm no math genius but doesn't that add up to a near Ferrigno amount of 105%?  ;D

stingray

• Getbig III
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2021, 07:25:54 PM »
Those iron man videos are pretty good, is there anywhere i can find those videos to watch later?And who were some of the bodybuilders in those videos?

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2021, 07:47:26 PM »
Mentzer lying about studying medicine at the end of the clip   ;D . Announcer describing him as a medical student. :D

This is what pissed off Arnold the most about Mike and (among other things, mainly Zane's disrespect) made him decide to compete in 1980. He was fed up with Mentzer's delusion about saying he was a medical student at every opportunity. He was going to teach Mike a lesson about being a bullshitter.  Little did Mike know that his lies about being a medical student would lead to his loss in 1980 and subsequent madness and death.  :'(

Yep - like Palumbo likes to pretend. They were all "premed" students, haha. Yeah, weren't we all.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2021, 07:50:06 PM »
A calorie is a calorie.

Except when it comes to hunger pangs, haha. I eat a diet roughly 50/25/25, the % of calories being from fats/carbs/protein. What a difference it makes in satiating hunger. I can stay at 2200 calories a day forever when I up the fat %. If I did the same diet at 50% of carbs I'd be starving all day because of the insulin spikes.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2021, 02:49:52 AM »

Except when it comes to hunger pangs, haha. I eat a diet roughly 50/25/25, the % of calories being from fats/carbs/protein. What a difference it makes in satiating hunger. I can stay at 2200 calories a day forever when I up the fat %. If I did the same diet at 50% of carbs I'd be starving all day because of the insulin spikes.
Yeah, fat is good to handle hunger pangs.  This is why low fat diets suck.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2021, 03:00:04 AM »
Mike never mentioned Calta but for the 1980 Olympia he followed his "Rotation for Recuperation" method.  I will use days of the week to get a clear concept of the methodology.  First week was Monday:Thighs-chest- triceps. Wednesday was Back-delts-biceps. Friday was back to Thighs-chest-triceps. Saturday and Sunday off. The next week Monday started with Back-delts-biceps. On Wednesday it was Thighs-chest-triceps. Friday was back to Back-delts-biceps. So body parts were either hit twice or once a week.  Mentzer switched to this rotation split after Frank Calta's routine came out in Iron Man and Mentzer adopted it. Yes, he never mentioned Calta but who else was doing this type split at the time of rotating how many days a body part gets worked?

I can't do anything else on leg day let alone a large muscle group like Chest. Yates due to time and scheduling constraints when he had to work a full time job combined arms with legs and I can see that. But Chest and triceps. No way. I always have to take two days off after just training legs.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2021, 03:03:59 AM »

I don't know. Jay was a huge proponent of high cabs. In fact, most huge bbers eat a ton of carbs, which is partly responsible for the rise in type 2 diabetes.

When I think about it, say a pro bber is getting in 500 grams of protein a day. That's only 2,000 calories. Where are the other 3,000 calories coming from to get to 275-300 lb? How much fat can they eat to meet their caloric requirement with getting a heart attack.

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2021, 05:46:23 AM »
John Little who owns that channel is a big Mentzer fan. He was a friend of Mentzer IRL.

Here's a new video he uploaded aswell.

Great find .... interesting how Mentzer started to look like Weider as he got older .

WoooSHHHHHHHHHHHHH  Heavy Master Duty Blaster

BEEFYHEAVYWEIGHT

• Getbig IV
  • Grimek
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2021, 05:53:28 AM »
If Mentzer were still alive....his Heavy Duty routine would now be at 1 set of 1 rep. And only to train 1 bodypart per week on a rotating basis. Each bodypart getting hit once ever 8-9 weeks. His 30 extra calories per day....needed to add extra muscle....would have have been reduced to 15 calories. A very small bite out of an apple.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2021, 05:55:48 AM »
I can't do anything else on leg day let alone a large muscle group like Chest. Yates due to time and scheduling constraints when he had to work a full time job combined arms with legs and I can see that. But Chest and triceps. No way. I always have to take two days off after just training legs.

Guys for decades would train their whole body in one day.  Mentzer won the Mr. America doing that and so did Casey Viator.  Guys juicing can get away with things natural guys can't get away with too.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2021, 09:39:01 AM »
If Mentzer were still alive....his Heavy Duty routine would now be at 1 set of 1 rep. And only to train 1 bodypart per week on a rotating basis. Each bodypart getting hit once ever 8-9 weeks. His 30 extra calories per day....needed to add extra muscle....would have have been reduced to 15 calories. A very small bite out of an apple.
Believe it or not, Sisco and Little advocated 1 set of 1 rep for 1 exercise in one of their (s)HIT programs.  Eventually they said you would only be training once every 6 months. ::)

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2021, 09:59:34 AM »
Guys for decades would train their whole body in one day.  Mentzer won the Mr. America doing that and so did Casey Viator.  Guys juicing can get away with things natural guys can't get away with too.

This. There is a very low upper limit of intense exercise the body can take before breaking down, naturally. Mentzer was right in limiting sets but then it got reduced to the absurd level.

An acquaintance of mine was caught up in the Lance Armstrong drug scandal. He told me that with EPO after each race he could go out and race another 100 miles in the Tour de France every day like the prior days never happened. He said his recovery was so fast it was magical.

Drugs make all the difference in the world for extreme performances, bodybuilding, etc.

Omega Male

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2021, 10:44:59 AM »

Mentzer said that the whole body 3 times a week was really fucking him up and after a session he would have to lay down and sleep for 2 or 3 hours. Later he split the body in half and he said that the recovery from that was more than 50% better even though it was a 50% change. In my opinion even splitting the body in half is still too much, split in thirds is doable though. Now pretty much everybody just trains one bodypart a day.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2021, 01:04:15 PM »
Mentzer said that the whole body 3 times a week was really fucking him up and after a session he would have to lay down and sleep for 2 or 3 hours. Later he split the body in half and he said that the recovery from that was more than 50% better even though it was a 50% change. In my opinion even splitting the body in half is still too much, split in thirds is doable though. Now pretty much everybody just trains one bodypart a day.
It depends on how many sets you are training per bodypart. A person training 1 to 2 sets per bodypart can do a full body workout in under an hour. If you are trying to do 5 to 10 sets per bodypart for a full body workout it would be exhausting. Mentzer was training to failure on every exercise which is not needed at all.