Author Topic: Haider's Training Journal  (Read 166822 times)

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
Re: Haider's Training Journal
« Reply #125 on: April 09, 2007, 03:05:43 PM »
Friday, April 6
Upper RE:
Speed Flat Bench:
95 x 2
95 x 2
95 x 2
95 x 2
95 x 2
95 x 2
Ramp up:
115 x 3
135 x 3
165 x 3
Seated Db Press (touching shoulders on the way down): 
60's x 8
60's x 7
60's x 7
CG Chins (paused hang at bottom):
BW+65 x 5
BW+65 x 5
BW+65 x 5
  easy
A-Trainer Flies (Double Pulley):  
10 x 6
10 x 5
10 x 5
Gironda Bench Press(Db variation) <alternated w/> 2-arm Db Rows (NEW):    (short rest)                
60's x 10 <alt. w/> 70's x 12
60's x 8 <alt. w/> 70's x 12
Seated Overhead Barbell Extensions <supersetted with> Db Spider Curls
70 x 8 <ss> 30 x 10
70 x 9 <ss> 30 x 5
70 x 9 <ss> 25 x 5, x 3 (got 5 reps, after switching arms went for 3 reps again)

Workout took way longer than usual. Started to teach my brother how to do A-trainer Flies correctly so that took up some time. Chins were easier than expected, followed by gironda presses and 2-arm db rows (new movement). The 2 arm db rows are a very tiring movement compared to any other type of rows I have done. I felt these real good in my middle back. OVerhead barbell extensions with a FULL stretch are just amazing! The pump was crazy in the arms, especially after supersetting these thigns with biceps.
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #126 on: April 11, 2007, 04:00:45 PM »
Ive been out for some days now... did deadlifts on monday and reinjuured my back. Nothing major at all, I'm feeling much better now but I think I'll give it a rest this whole week.

The workout went like this:

Monday, Apr 9
Lower RE*:
Extra ROM Deadlifts (using 25 lb plates):   
170 x 5 (over-under)
225 x 3 (over-under)
285 x 3 (over-under)
335 x 3 (over-under)
395 x 2 (double overhand w/ straps)....

*Deads reset for each rep.

follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #127 on: April 19, 2007, 11:30:48 AM »
Monday, Apr 19: (2 weeks later, lol)
Upper ME:
Incline Bench: 
95 x 7
105 x 5
135 x 5
165 x 5
Pendaly Rows (using 25 lb plates):
165 x 5
165 x 5
165 x 4
Decline Db Presses:      
85's x 8
85's x 7
85's x 6
Alternating V-grip Chinups:
BW+5 x 15
BW+5 x 10
BW+5 x 9

Good to come back and do a workout. Actually I should have kept up with the upper workouts now that I think about it. Wicked pump in the arms from all the Chins, chest was super pumped too after the db presses. Following day Rhomboids were nice and sore, and chest was surprisingly not very sore. Today I'll hit up some arms and legs, but  only light legs because of the back, which I tweaked AGAIN playing soccer on tuesday. Brother tells me its a nerve impingement I got from overload on the spine. No wonder it hurts around the hips as well.
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #128 on: April 21, 2007, 10:26:16 PM »
Thursday, April 19
Lower ME:
Hammer-grip Db Presses <supersetted with> BB Drag Curls  (NEW):
65's x 6 <ss> 45 x 10
65's x 6 <ss> 45 x 10
65's x 7 <ss> 45 x 10
1-legged Db Squats
60's x 5
70's x 5
75's x 5
80's x 5
Leg Extensions <supersetted with> Cybex Leg Press ("Squat" Press):
45 x 10 <ss> 3 plates x 15
45 x 15 <ss> 3 plates + 25 x 15
55 x 15 <ss> 3 plates + 35 x 20
65 x 15 <ss> 4 plates x 20.... burn
Glute Ham Raises:
BW x 5
BW x 5
BW x 5

Thats as much as I was willing to mess around doing legs with my lower back/hip situation. Though I did manage to tweak my hip bone a bit again.. Drag Curls are VERY hard when done right, I think I acheived failure on my last set doing just 45. They key is to curl the bar up along the body in a straight line and not upright row it by moving the shoulders. Unlike a regular barbell curl, the elbows move back (which allows you to curl the bar up along the body).

My ass was so firgin sore after this workout, with very little soreness in hams and quads. The 1-legged squats destroy the glutes like no other exercise, and I HATE that. The leg press preexhausted with extensions BURNED like no other, so I thoght Id be sore in the quads  :-\ Especially considering I hadnt worked quads in like 2 weeks... oh well. Surprised myself with the GHR's, hittin the hams with some low reps. This should get the effers to grow  >:(

Thanks for reading.
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #129 on: May 05, 2007, 02:59:14 PM »
Well, even though I haven updaed in a week or two, I got some workouts in that I wont bother posting. I've jsut been super busy with school, and will continue to get busier.

On thursday I did a really awesome full body workout consisting of super-sets and short rest periods.

Here we go:

Full body Workout:  8)
Incline Bench <supersetted w/> Barbell Rows (regular)
115 x 5 <ss> 155 x 6
145 x 5 <ss> 155 x 6
175 x 5 <ss> 155 x 6
ATG Squats <supersetted w/> Standing Smith Machine Calf Raises
185 x 10 <ss> 135 x 10
185 x 10 <ss> 145 x 10
225 x 10 <ss> 145 x 10
Db Shoulder Press <supersetted w/> Shoulder-width Overhand Pullups
60's x 8 <ss> BW+35 x 6
60's x 8 <ss> Bw+45 x 6
------- <ss> BW x 15 (underhand)
A-trainer Flies
10 x 6
10 x 6
Tricep Pushdowns <supersetted w/> Drag Curls
70 x 10 <ss> 55 x 9
60 x 10 <ss> 50 x 7 -DS- 35 x 5

Was glad to get back to the gym after a week of no working out, and squatting after not being able to because of my back injury. I'm doing a lot better with the injury now, but Im taking it easy by going lighter.

Workout was a bit brutal towards the end cuz I started to get real nauseous. I was amazed at how much strength I retained in exercises done later int he workout despite the fatigue. For example on shoulder presses, I actualy did BETTER than I usually do without any pressing beforehand. I will probably continue with fullbody workouts cuz they're friggin fun!  8)
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #130 on: October 15, 2007, 08:19:01 PM »
I'M BACK BITCHES! :D

I've had the longest lay off of working out ever, which feels kinda shitty but then it's great to be back in the gym again. My lower back problems have continued to be a pain in the ass..I actually re injured my back about a month ago, which put me out of the gym again.

The MRI and X-ray scans didn't tell too much, which may or may not be a good thing. However, I AM getting some therapy for it so I'm hoping to be able to recover within the next month or two.

In the meanwhile, I'm working around the lower back problem- sticking to 1-legged squats, db rows, etc- exercises that don't put stress on the lower back.

My routine:
Workout 1
Flat Bench Press
1-legged Barbell Squats
Bench Supported Db Rows
Glute Ham Raises <alternated w/> Db Shrugs
Face Pulls <supersetted w/> Strict Db Laterals
Lying Db Extensions <alternated with> Db Curls

Workout 2
Dips
Step ups (w/ Db's)
Weighted Chins
A-trainer Flies <alternated with> High Pulley Ab Crunches
Military Presses <alternated with> Leg Presses
Standing Calf Raises <alternated with> Leg Curls

*2-3 sets per exercise, too lazy to list all the rep ranges.

The workouts are alternated M-W-F. Each workout is preferably split into an a.m and p.m. session.

follow the arrows

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #131 on: October 16, 2007, 04:19:55 AM »
I've had the longest lay off of working out ever, which feels kinda shitty but then it's great to be back in the gym again. My lower back problems have continued to be a pain in the ass..I actually re injured my back about a month ago, which put me out of the gym again.

xxx
الاسلام هو شيطانية

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #132 on: October 16, 2007, 11:04:48 AM »
Thanks for you comments and questions davie. In my last cycle I used Flat Bench and Dips for my chest exercises for HST. It worked well as I maanged to add some more thickness to the chest, espcially around the sternum. This was probably because of the addition of dips. My progression on flat bench stalled towards the end pretty badly, and I needed to change up exercises anyway, hence the switch to declines for this cycle.

Anyway, pendaly rows are a stricter type of Barbell Row performed with an arched back at a 90 degree angle to the floor. For each rep, the bar is set on the floor and the middle back allowed to round. The rep is then performed by explosively rowing to the stomach, arching the middle back simultaneously. It is usually performed with an overhand grip. I just chose to do with a reverse grip in this cycle to allow for some variation.

HOw do u do your dips (iv read larry scott versions of them with palms facing outward grip etc).

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #133 on: October 16, 2007, 12:59:04 PM »
HOw do u do your dips (iv read larry scott versions of them with palms facing outward grip etc).

davie
Just regular dips on a dip station..

Forgot to post workout from yesterday, the numbers are monstrous! hahahahaha

Monday, October 15, 2007
Workout 1
Flat Bench Press:
165 x 5
165 x 5
165 x 5
1-legged Barbell Squats*
95 x 15
85 x 15  :o
Bench Supported Db Rows
60's x 5
60's x 5
60's x 5
Glute Ham Raises** <alternated w/> Db Shrugs
BW-40 x 8 <alt.> 50's x 15
BW-40 x 8 <alt.> 50's x 13
Rope Face Pulls <supersetted w/> Strict Db Laterals***
55 x 10 <ss> 10 x 6
50 x 10 <ss> 5 x 10
25's x 10 <alt.> 25's x 15
20's x 13 <alt.> 25's x 13

*Also known as Bulgarian Split Squats
** Setup's on a Lat pulldown machine, assistance from weight stack.
***Moving with elbows only!

I'm sore all over today! My workout endurance is down so the Squats REALLY killed me. It was a blessing to move on to other stuff after squats, the workout was so much easier after that. I thought up of the GHR setup yesterday a couple of hours before hitting the gym, and it worked! Now I can do these things at any desired rep range  8)
      The Db Laterals are HARD! Even 5 lb felt  hard after supersetting with the face pulls, this exercise done strictly is way harder. Next time I'll put the laterals before teh face pulls.. Extensions and Db Curls felt good too. Bodyweight yesterday was 164 lbs.

8)
follow the arrows

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #134 on: October 16, 2007, 01:14:06 PM »
Leaning foreward, chin nearly on chest, legs directly below body??

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #135 on: October 16, 2007, 01:19:33 PM »
Leaning foreward, chin nearly on chest, legs directly below body??

davie
yes  ;D

I'm not sure how to do them this cycle though. I'm wanna do them more as a compound upperbody exercise than a chest exercise, hit me up with suggestions if u have an idea.
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #136 on: October 18, 2007, 10:32:42 AM »
Yesterday's workout-

Wednesday, October 17, 2007
Workout 2
Weighted Dips <alternated with> Weighted Chins
BW+60 x 5 <alt. w/> BW+45 x 5
BW+65 x 5 <alt. w/> BW+35 x 5
BW+65 x 5 <alt. w/> BW+45 x 5
Step ups to a bench(w/ Db's)
40's x 12 (24 total reps)
55's x 15 (30 total reps)
A-trainer Flies* <alternated with> High Pulley Ab Crunches**
10 x 7 <alt. w/> 50 x 10
10 x 7 (right side only)*** <alt. w/> 45 x 10
10 x 6 (right side only) <alt. w/> -------
Seated Db Presses <alternated with> Wide Stance Leg Presses
50's x 8 <alt. w/> 5 plates x 12
50's x 8 <alt. w/> 5 plates + 35 x 12
1-legged Calf Raises <alternated with> Seated Leg Curls
BW x 6 <alt. w/> 65 x 10
BW x 6-4-3 <alt. w/> 60 x 10

*description- strict flat supinated cable flies, leading with the elbows.
**Performed seated, on a lat pulldown machine.
***Attempt at sorting out symmetry issues

Not a bad workout, felt refreshed after I got finished even though it took me approx 1.5 hrs... I know I can knock it out in an hour and 15-20 min though. Chit chatting on the side can take up more time than you think, probably upwards of 10 minutes.. more like 15 when I think about it.
     Chins felt really weak, decided to ditch the ego for a bit and go with just 35 on the second set. Step ups were easier than I though but they were hard on the grip, as I wasn't using straps, got a nice pump goign in the traps though ;) Alternating the db presses with leg presses wasn't bad at all liek I thought it would be, went with a wide stance on me cuz my inner legs suck...well, my overall legs suck too right now cuz of the lay off ;D
      Weak on the calf raises again, no biggie though, I like to do these real controlled white using the FULL ROM. Weight yesterday was 166.
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #137 on: October 22, 2007, 01:55:25 PM »
Damn, late on the updates. Well, I messed up on my last "workout 1" and ended up not doing half the workout. Was too tired to make it up early on saturday, and then I wasn't aware that the uni gym closes at 6 pm on Saturdays  :-\

Friday, October 19, 2007
Workout 1
Flat Bench Press:
170 x 5
170 x 5
170 x 5
1-legged Barbell Squats*
N/A
Bench Supported Db Rows
65's x 5
65's x 5
65's x 5
N/A
Rope Face Pulls <supersetted w/> Strict Db Laterals***
N/A
25's x 10 <alt.> 25's x 12
25's x 8 <alt.> 25's x 12

Bench felt smoother and more explosive in the first 2 reps, its always downhill from there. Just going to keep the steady 5 lb progressions going until I get back to where I used to be (or beyond). Rows were harder than I thought, but they felt ok. Good pump from the arm exercises. I couldnt believe the workout took me close to an hour, so I'm gonna have to monitor my rest times more closely. On bench I will keep it no less than 3 min, everything else besides GHR's (and maybe db rows) I can do without longer rest periods.
follow the arrows

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #138 on: October 22, 2007, 04:53:53 PM »
are your weights listed in lbs or kg?

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #139 on: October 22, 2007, 06:39:49 PM »
are your weights listed in lbs or kg?
:-[
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #140 on: October 23, 2007, 06:19:07 PM »

Monday, October 21, 2007
Workout 2

A.M.:
Weighted CG Chins
BW+45 x 5
BW+45 x 5
BW+45 x 5
A-trainer Flies* <alternated with> High Pulley Ab Crunches**
#1 x 5 <alt. w/> #2.5 x 10
#1 x 5(right side only)*** <alt. w/> #2.5 x 10
#1 x 5(right side only) <alt. w/> -------

P.M.:
Weighted Dips
BW+70 x 5
BW+70 x 5
BW+70 x 5
1-legged Wide Stance Leg Presses
3 plates x 10
2 plates + 30 x 12
1-legged Calf Raises <alternated with> 1-legged Lying Leg Curls
BW x 7 <alt. w/> (25 + add-on weight****) x 10
BW x 6-4-3 <alt. w/> (25 + add-on weight) x 8
Seated Db Press
55's x 6
50's x 8

**Performed seated, on a lat pulldown machine.
***Attempt at sorting out symmetry issues

**** not sure, maybe 5 pounds.

OKKKK....this a.m./p.m. thing was kind of a bitch, the workouts took longer and I'm not really sure why. I'll try to keep it up and see if I can improve my efficiency, but if not I will either do it all in one workout or drop this workout scheme altogether ( :( ).

The weights mentioned on the machines are different cuz this workout was done at the college gym where Im not really sure how much the weights are, I'm just going by the numbers on the plates. Its so fvcking annoying. Anyway, the chins felt heavier than expected, flies tore up the chest real nice, dips were really good too. I overestimated the weight on the leg presses, I really gotta start leaving my ego at the door.. I liked the calf raise + leg curls combination. Db presses were weak as shit but that's ok. GODDAMNIT  ;D
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #141 on: October 26, 2007, 08:17:49 PM »
OK BROTHERS TODAY I WAS SUPER FOCUSED IN THE GYM!!!!!!

... for the better part of the workout ;D I started slacking towards the end, but I managed well. Skipped workout on wednesday because I had a huge test today that I had to study my ass off for.

Friday, October 26, 2007
Workout 1
Flat Bench Press <alternated w/> Bench Supported Db Rows:
95 x 8  <alt. w/> 65's x 5
115 x 6 <alt. w/> 65's x 5
145 x 4 <alt. w/> 65's x 5
175 x 5 <alt. w/> -------
Strict Db Laterals***<supersetted w/> Rope Face Pulls
5 x 12 <ss> 40 x 10
5 x 12 <ss> 35 x 15
1-legged Barbell Squats*
85 x 15
95 x 15
Lying Db Extensions <supersetted with> Db Curls
25's x 10 <ss> 25's x 15
25's x 8  <ss> 25's x 12
BW-25 x 7 <alt w/> 50's x 15
BW-30 x 8 <alt w/> 50's x 15

I went into the gym very focused on what I was doing today, kept a pretty tight track of time and everything (for the most part). And it helped tremendously. Unfortunate that I lost focus when I got to the Sqts but that's excusable cuz I had to share the Sqt rack with some one else. The workout took me an hour and a half, and I plan on cutting back 5 minutes next workout which I think can be done easily.

Now on to the exercises:
Bench felt good, no problems here, continuously improving on the form. 5 pounds at a time baby. I figured out that alternating db rows with my bench warmup sets would cut down on time and I think it helped tremendously. I will keep an eye on things I can do to make the workout even more efficient  8)

The Db laterals done strict are HARD, those 5 lbs burned like hell, YOU GUYS HAVE TO TRY THIS. The Squats felt a lot easier than last time but felt a lot harder on the right leg ( I do left leg first), which is very unusual cuz I usually breeze through it with the right one. Decided I was gonna cut down on time by supersetting arms too, pump here was ok, don't really care about the weight. Nice pump in the traps/neck area from the shrugs and the hams were also worked pretty good from the GHR's.

follow the arrows

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #142 on: October 26, 2007, 08:21:43 PM »
bench press twice a week

squat twice a week

then add stuff

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #143 on: October 26, 2007, 08:21:53 PM »
I forgot to mention that I started loading creatine and my weight SHOT THE HELL UP! Today I weighed in at 170.5 pounds, which is 4-5 lbs heavier than last time I weight myself this monday! This is the first time I'm loading creatine EVER, so I'm pretty surprised with how the body is reacting (water retention or whatever the hell it is). I also noticed my energy + recovery levels in the gym were better today, but its too early to tell if that was all from creatine.. I've been eating like crazy the past couple of days which probably helps.
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #144 on: October 26, 2007, 08:25:42 PM »
bench press twice a week

squat twice a week

then add stuff

doing each 3 times every 2 weeks, cheif. I do dips instead of benches on the other day, and 1-legged leg presses instead of the 1-legged sqts. I'm doing what I can while trying to get my lower back in shape again (injured and reinjured it, but nothing serious)  ;)

thanks for the suggestion.
follow the arrows

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #145 on: October 26, 2007, 08:31:53 PM »
doing each 3 times every 2 weeks, cheif. I do dips instead of benches on the other day, and 1-legged leg presses instead of the 1-legged sqts. I'm doing what I can while trying to get my lower back in shape again (injured and reinjured it, but nothing serious)  ;)

thanks for the suggestion.

the specifics arent important. whats important is that you get your lower back in shape so you can squat ....2 times per week (reg squats and front squats)

and do a basic pressing movements 2 times per week.

upper lower schedule: 3-4 sessions a week.

if your a bodybuilder you can do 75% of your deadlifting from racks and the reg deads from the floor do em with a wide grip and medium weight.

when your back is feeling better.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #146 on: October 26, 2007, 08:35:58 PM »
the specifics arent important. whats important is that you get your lower back in shape so you can squat ....2 times per week (reg squats and front squats)

and do a basic pressing movements 2 times per week.

upper lower schedule: 3-4 sessions a week.

if your a bodybuilder you can do 75% of your deadlifting from racks and the reg deads from the floor do em with a wide grip and medium weight.

when your back is feeling better.

You're preaching to the choir, nugga.
follow the arrows

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #147 on: October 26, 2007, 08:38:50 PM »
You're preaching to the choir, nugga.

where is your bible JORGONGIS ?

good luck with the back. hope it feels better s (o) on.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #148 on: October 26, 2007, 08:41:38 PM »
where is your bible JORGONGIS ?

good luck with the back. hope it feels better s (o) on.
???  :P

Thanks! My plan is to slowly introduce light squats into my routine in a few weeks and build up from there. Prolly no deadlifts for another 2-3 months.
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #149 on: November 01, 2007, 04:48:40 PM »
Been slacking!!!!!!! I missed my workout this monday cuz I didn't get any sleep the night before and ended up napping till 9 pm  ;D

Yesterday's workout-

Wednesday, October 31, 2007
Workout 2
Weighted Dips <alternated with> Weighted Chins
BW x 5      <alt. w/> BW+45 x 5  (Shouler Width Overhand)
BW+25 x 5 <alt. w/> BW+45 x 6  (Alternating V-grip)
BW+45 x 5 <alt. w/> BW+45 x 5  (Close Grip Underhand)
BW+75 x 5 <alt. w/> ----------
A-trainer Flies* (right side only**) <alternated with> High Pulley Ab Crunches***
#1 x 8 <alt. w/> #3.5 x 10
#1 x 6 <alt. w/> #3 x 10
#1 x 6 <alt. w/> #3 x 10-12
1-legged Wide Stance Leg Presses <alternated with> Seated Db Presses
3 plates + 35 x 10 <alt. w/> 50's x 10
3 plates + 35 x 10 <alt. w/> 50's x 10
Widow-maker Wide Stanced Leg Press:
5 plates + 25 x 25  sweet  ;D
1-legged Lying Leg Curls
25 + add-on weight x 10
25 + add-on weight x 9
1-legged Standing Calf Raise:
BW x 7
BW x 7-4-3
Standing Calf Raises: (30 sec rest)
BW x 20
BW x 20
BW x 15

**Attempt at sorting out symmetry issues.
***Performed seated, on a lat pulldown machine.

Man I was getting through this workout quick but a buddy of mine HAD to be in the gym!  >:( Plus I had to be on the phone for a bit about a lab project... Otherwise it wouldnt have taken me 1.5 hrs..an hour and 10 TOPS, so my workout speed is good, its just external factors that add a lot of time to your workout.

Anyway, still having a hard time with the pullups.. I used to be so much stronger at these, oh well. Dips were good, I think I will use the same weight next time just to not push it. Flies were stronger than usual as seen, abs were pretty boring. Mixed it up on the leg presses with the widowmakers, way easier than I thought but I was beat after the 25 reps (could have gotten 30 I'm sure if I really wanted to but fvck that). Hammies were surprisingly hard, didn't feel like doing calves but I got 'em good! Calves and halms are sore today. So are lats and shoulders. and triceps a weee bit.
follow the arrows