Author Topic: Colorado Lawmaker Leaves Loaded Gun Behind In Capitol  (Read 1064 times)

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Colorado Lawmaker Leaves Loaded Gun Behind In Capitol
« on: February 20, 2014, 05:55:29 AM »
A first-term Colorado lawmaker left a loaded gun behind after a Wednesday committee meeting on concealed handgun permits, the Denver Post reported.

Rep. Jonathan Singer (D) told the Post that he found a black canvas bag under the table where lawmakers sit after the committee room cleared out. Inside he found a loaded handgun, which he and the sergeant-at-arms realized belonged to Rep. Jared Wright (R).

Wright, a former police officer, told the Post he frequently carries a concealed handgun inside the Capitol. He said he has the right to do so under state stature as a peace officer. “I feel it’s my duty to be a first responder wherever I am at,” he told the Post. “That’s why I carry it.” But Wright agreed to stop carrying the weapon inside the Capitol after being contacted by Gov. John Hickenlooper's (D) office and speaking with Colorado State Patrol, according to the Post.

Although the Capitol is considered a gun-free zone, the Durango Herald reported last year that it's an open secret between Colorado lawmakers that some colleagues do come armed with concealed weapons.

###

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/colorado_lawmaker_leaves_loaded_gun_capitol

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Colorado Lawmaker Leaves Loaded Gun Behind In Capitol
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 06:01:35 AM »
he feels it’s my duty to be a first responder,just as long as he can remember where he left his gun  :D :D :D

Purge_WTF

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 06:06:28 AM »
The way things are going, all of our politicians should probably arm themselves.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 08:22:56 AM »
Who cares

Sorry that your pansy lib mind got scared cause of the 'scary gun'  ::)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 09:07:36 AM »
carrying a gun is fine, but leaving it behind makes a person a stone cold idiot.  

I've carried a piece for 16 years now.  Have NEVER left it behind.   That shit can be picked up and can kill someone.  You leave your wallet, your keys, but you don't leave your gun.

Aside from the fact he's carrying a gun into a govt building... I'm pretty sure gun permits don't extend to there, but his potential inability to follow the law is another issue altogether.  

LOL @ "Open secret that everyone carries".   Let John Q. Public carry a glock into a govt building in Colorado and see how fast he's doing a year in prison.   Fcking idiot politicians.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 09:08:42 AM »
Yea its a boneheaded move...but not newsworthy

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 09:13:37 AM »
Who cares

This was my reaction, too...until I read that the dude had left his loaded weapon in the room where he'd just had a committee meeting concerning concealed handgun permits, lol. 

(If he'd been a Democrat instead of a Republican ex-cop, I'd be a little suspicious that he did that shit on purpose to make a point, double haha.)

I guess I still don't care but at least the story is amusing in a what-a-freaking-idiot kind of way.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 09:18:13 AM »
Yea its a boneheaded move...but not newsworthy

^^^ This.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 09:57:54 AM »
Andwhy did they go through his bag?  Typical democrat piece of filth.     

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 09:59:26 AM »
lol  only not news worthy because it was a repub  :D :D   if it had been a dem it would be on every far right site and you would be posting it :D :D

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 10:01:01 AM »
No - they should have called the guy on the qt and given it back so he doesn't have to deal w the Stasi.

But no - like 99.9% of democrat thugs and worthless communist traitors - they turn the guy in - typical. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 10:08:05 AM »
No - they should have called the guy on the qt and given it back so he doesn't have to deal w the Stasi.

that the mfck are you talking about?

this dude broke state gun laws because he didn't feel they applied to him.  what kind of BS is that?

33, if YOU carry a gun into a govt building, your ass is going to PRISON.  But this dude gets to, and even worse, LEAVES it behind?  No charges, huh?

You or I try that, and we are in a prison cell, dude.  If the receptionist working at this govt building carries a gun to work, he/she is going to prison.  But this dude gets to.

selective enforcement of laws to allow govt officials to ignore the law is bad.  Not punishing them when they leave loaded guns behind is even worse.

Unreal that anyone is defending this guy.  He broke the state gun laws.  Any of us does it, we are in handcuffs.  33, maybe you're cool when obama doesn't obey the law also, right?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 10:10:31 AM »
see, I don't care that he's an ex-cop.  I don't care what his skin color or political party is.

Unless he is a reserve cop with legal right to carry, then the SAME LAWS that apply to us apply to him.  If 240 and 333386 decided to attend this meeting, glocks and all, the 2 of us would be in a jail cell right now. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 10:22:20 AM »
I agree - but I also am for people looking out for one another to avoid these draconian communist laws

this dude broke state gun laws because he didn't feel they applied to him.  what kind of BS is that?

33, if YOU carry a gun into a govt building, your ass is going to PRISON.  But this dude gets to, and even worse, LEAVES it behind?  No charges, huh?

You or I try that, and we are in a prison cell, dude.  If the receptionist working at this govt building carries a gun to work, he/she is going to prison.  But this dude gets to.

selective enforcement of laws to allow govt officials to ignore the law is bad.  Not punishing them when they leave loaded guns behind is even worse.

Unreal that anyone is defending this guy.  He broke the state gun laws.  Any of us does it, we are in handcuffs.  33, maybe you're cool when obama doesn't obey the law also, right?

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 10:24:29 AM »

I agree... It's pretty much just ridiculous.

If you carry a gun, you are to be MORE responsible than the average schmucko citizen.

I had a friend of mine who had his CCP and someone was asking about his gun. He pull the mag out and handed it to them... The new possessor of the firearm in question pulls the trigger and BOOM.

Fortunately, they were in the lobby of a business and the shot went into a VERY old, VERY thick, VERY sturdy wooden desk... No one was injured, but it freaked my friend out to the point he couldn't carry for a year or so.

Everyone was so thankful no one was injured.

He didn't get in any trouble, but he did file a report and what not.

Scary stuff.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 10:24:49 AM »
yeah but he's one of the good guys  :D

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 10:27:09 AM »
That's it ban all guns!!!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 10:28:53 AM »
I agree - but I also am for people looking out for one another to avoid these draconian communist laws

You cannot have it both ways, man.  

This guy is carrying a gun, which means he is already held to a higher standard.  When you get that permit, they tell you, life/death resides in that weapon.  You're responsible for more than joe sixpack with a holster full of compassion.

And he's an elected official - i'm sure there's an ethics/morals clause for that office.  Ask Rep Radel about that.  misd coke charge is no biggie if you're working in construction... try that shit in congress.

IMO, it's the culture of "looking out for each other" among ex-cops and politicans (which this man is both) that is the big problem here.  (we'll leave irresponsible gun use out of it).

Dude didn't feel like he had to follow the laws, but if you/me carried a gun into that room, he'd be calling security or drawing  down on us for our inability to follow the law.

Everyone should follow the law.  Not just us peons/ants.  Ex-cops and politicians shouldn't be allowed to ignore gun laws.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 10:29:11 AM »
your the only one that says that :o

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 10:31:52 AM »

I don't remember this particular politician using his pulpit to call for change in state law regarding gun carry in govt buildings.

Rather, I'd guess he liked the fact Joe Sixpack wasn't allowed to pack heat, should he decide to take out his fury on random govt official.  However, this employee felt that the very useful law didn't really apply to him, cause, well, he's special.

This kind of "good for the masses, but I ain't following it".... it's complete bullshit.  If the law is garbage, he should have used his power to change it.  No, he kept it in place and just chose to ignore it.  I'm sure there are some people in Colorado (and in every state) that are in jail today for carrying a weapon into a forbidden area.  But not this dude.  He's special, right?  What other laws should we let politicians skip because, well, they don't like them?  

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2014, 10:38:50 AM »

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2014, 10:49:47 AM »

I missed that point (that the congressman who found the bag was a Dem). 

Why is going through the bag a big deal?  Did the bag have a name-tag on it? 

Also, if these guys were on opposite sides of the concealed gun permit issue being discussed at the meeting, you betcha it's fair game for the finder to capitalize on the other guy's dumb move (which is looking dumber and dumber considering the circumstances).

If this were football, the repub basically ran the wrong way and scored for the other team.  Super-unlucky and/or completely bone-headed. 

BTW, because of the stupid way he likely made an important point for his opponents, this story IS newsworthy.

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot, lol.  Great going, deputy Fife.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2014, 10:57:33 AM »
This isn't even remotely news worthy

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2014, 10:59:40 AM »

Probably because everyone is all on "heightened" alert over bombs and crap.

Everyone scared of their own shadow.

They didn't want an "Operation Valkyrie" situation.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2014, 11:01:19 AM »
My god a disaster was avoided here folks, i mean that gun was out of its locked cage..it didnt try to hurt anyone? Im surprised it didnt 'go off' and start attacking people!!

We were very, very lucky here folks...it just so happened this particular gun was docile otherwise there would have been blood everywhere