Author Topic: high reps for legs?  (Read 23571 times)

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
Re: high reps for legs?
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2013, 07:26:33 AM »

I'm not a fan myself. As with most training methods, I'm sure it has its place for some folks.
I believe there is more research supporting the superior effectiveness of explosive concentric portions followed by slower negatives.
This ^.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2013, 07:29:43 AM »
yeah, i've seen that too

so would a good guideline by a "controlled" explosive contraction follow by a 3-4 second negative?

Going by the research, somewhere around there.
The exact numbers may vary a bit depending on which study or "authority" you listen to. That's why it's usually a good idea to not get too fanatical over minor details.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2013, 07:31:35 AM »
This ^.

Mr. Nobody - a.k.a. Mr. Voice of Experience. 8)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2013, 07:38:59 AM »

Going by the research, somewhere around there.
The exact numbers may vary a bit depending on which study or "authority" you listen to. That's why it's usually a good idea to not get too fanatical over minor details.
yes this is true.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2013, 11:25:36 AM »
one more option that i just thought of is to do my reps with a 4 second cadence ie. 4 seconds up and 4 seconds down

i'm doing my reps now with a normal cadence and each rep only takes about 2 or 3 seconds, but if i start doing the slower rep cadence each rep will take about 6 to 8 seconds

any of you dudes ever experiment with a slower rep cadence? and if yes, how were your results?

i've tried it... i tend to do my warm up sets like this... one this i try to do when lifting is to have my up breath match my down breath (like yoga breathing) and i also breath through my nose only (again like in yoga)... i've found that this helps me focus my mind on what i am doing...

seemed obvious as a younger man to just 'lift the weight' but i've found value in focusing on both the muscular contraction, my breathing and having a clear mind when lifting now

p.s. i'd much rather spend my dough on my ladyfriend and on clothes and shoes for myself then on buying more weight plates, truth be told

i dress functionally only and my wife is not demanding in terms of needs... she trains with me (you can see her pink kettlebells in one of the pictures)  :)

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2013, 11:31:14 AM »
i've tried it... i tend to do my warm up sets like this... one this i try to do when lifting is to have my up breath match my down breath (like yoga breathing) and i also breath through my nose only (again like in yoga)... i've found that this helps me focus my mind on what i am doing...

seemed obvious as a younger man to just 'lift the weight' but i've found value in focusing on both the muscular contraction, my breathing and having a clear mind when lifting now

i dress functionally only and my wife is not demanding in terms of needs... she trains with me (you can see her pink kettlebells in one of the pictures)  :)

any pics of wifey in leggings ;D

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2013, 11:34:52 AM »
you´ve got a thing about leggings? ;D

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2013, 12:02:31 PM »

not on this internet  8)

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2013, 12:21:20 PM »

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2013, 07:28:27 AM »
i've decided to do the slow and controlled negatives with a full 1-2 pause at the bottom of each rep and then a strong positive contraction

this is making the exercise harder and thus more effective, but i'm still gonna have to get the thinner 5 kg plates eventually

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2013, 08:00:36 AM »
i've decided to do the slow and controlled negatives with a full 1-2 pause at the bottom of each rep and then a strong positive contraction

this is making the exercise harder and thus more effective, but i'm still gonna have to get the thinner 5 kg plates eventually

Sounds good. This is how I execute most of my exercises.
It keeps every rep the same, eliminating "bouncing"/stretch reflex, and is also safer in some aspects. There is also a good bit of "muscle damage" that the eccentric portion offers. In fact, some trainers extend their sets by utilizing additional negative reps once positive failure has been reached.

On a slightly related note, I ran into lots of elbow tendon problems years ago. Several people told me I'd probably have to give up certain exercises. After learning the correct/smarter way to train, I am now not only doing those same exercises, but using more weight AND volume at an older age.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2013, 08:24:06 AM »

Sounds good. This is how I execute most of my exercises.
It keeps every rep the same, eliminating "bouncing"/stretch reflex, and is also safer in some aspects. There is also a good bit of "muscle damage" that the eccentric portion offers. In fact, some trainers extend their sets by utilizing additional negative reps once positive failure has been reached.

On a slightly related note, I ran into lots of elbow tendon problems years ago. Several people told me I'd probably have to give up certain exercises. After learning the correct/smarter way to train, I am now not only doing those same exercises, but using more weight AND volume at an older age.

i agree in terms of protecting the elbows... mine continue to be healthy despite lethal workouts and i credit a lot of this to my more controlled style these days

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2013, 08:41:54 AM »

i agree in terms of protecting the elbows... mine continue to be healthy despite lethal workouts and i credit a lot of this to my more controlled style these days

Yeah, I had people (including my ex-girlfriend, who was a physical therapist) telling me to avoid skull-crushers and overhead extensions. Some people said to use less weight and go deeper. Others told me to use more weight with a shorter stroke.

By simply slowing down the negative, I am able to use more weight while lowering the bar/db as low as possible without issue.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2013, 08:50:04 AM »
not to be too much of an arrogant asshole, but i saw my girlfriend for the 1st time in almost 2 weeks last nite (as she went back home for the holidays) and she was duly impressed by my increased muscle size, and she noticed and commented on my rounder ass :P

also, she said that my arms are much bigger as well ;D

but you know females and when they say "much bigger" that's our "just a bit bigger" :)

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2013, 09:34:47 AM »
not to be too much of an arrogant asshole, but i saw my girlfriend for the 1st time in almost 2 weeks last nite (as she went back home for the holidays) and she was duly impressed by my increased muscle size, and she noticed and commented on my rounder ass :P

also, she said that my arms are much bigger as well ;D

but you know females and when they say "much bigger" that's our "just a bit bigger" :)
Sounds good.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2013, 09:37:02 AM »

Yeah, I had people (including my ex-girlfriend, who was a physical therapist) telling me to avoid skull-crushers and overhead extensions. Some people said to use less weight and go deeper. Others told me to use more weight with a shorter stroke.

By simply slowing down the negative, I am able to use more weight while lowering the bar/db as low as possible without issue.
slowing down the negative...yes i like the sound of that Monty.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2013, 12:57:24 PM »
just got back from the sports shop and the thinner 5 kg plates weren't really thin enough, so i ended up buying 10 kg plates, so now max weight per bell is bout 125 pounds so that should do me good for a little while 8)

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2013, 06:30:47 PM »
just got back from the sports shop and the thinner 5 kg plates weren't really thin enough, so i ended up buying 10 kg plates, so now max weight per bell is bout 125 pounds so that should do me good for a little while 8)

slick!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2013, 06:44:56 PM »
slowing down the negative...yes i like the sound of that Monty.

It can eliminate a great deal of soft tissue trauma around joints that often accompanies less controlled form.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2013, 09:59:35 AM »
Believe one of the main purposes of doing negatives was the very slow and controlled lowering portion of the lift. And to use much more weight in a true negative/eccentric rep. We are all much stronger in the negative than the positive range of any lift.

Art Jones approved. The great Marvin Eder  (and others during that era) favored one arm DB negatives. And, if remembering correctly, applied negatives to chins and dips. Recorded over 400+ for a full dip, at one time. Also overwhelming strong at any form of chins, one arm included. (one arm chins do respond very well to  negative training...of course right along with the normal positive version)

If ever getting seriously in negative training, you will probably need a training partner(s). Like anything else, this form of very demanding training is not designed for everyone. A short training cycle of 4 to 5 weeks max is advised. Should not be a regular exercise standard for most folks. Good Luck.
F

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2013, 11:08:27 AM »
i tried various forms of negative training and i never really got much out it

i think that it's too stressful on the body, and that it just causes too deep of an inroad to be productive and/or worthwhile