Author Topic: Andy Haman - RIP  (Read 22193 times)

mphgrove

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: Andy Haman Died.
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2021, 05:43:57 PM »
What a great family from all appearances! Such an early death is a sad when you leave so much behind.

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2021, 05:49:26 PM »
This is why I'm natty. Steroids kill.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2021, 06:01:38 PM »
PIP

I think the darker plates are fakes. Notice how the plates move.

Either way that's around 520 pounds i think.

Still impressive.

He was a showman and strong, but was not one the strongest benchers in the world.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2021, 06:02:44 PM »
This is why I'm natty. Steroids kill.

460 bench at 185 as a natty. ;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2021, 06:30:44 PM »
If he wrestled for Iowa he was a top of the food chain wrestler and athlete.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2021, 06:50:52 PM »
can't say I liked his personality. Thought he was abit of a wanker with a big ego

whatever

RIP

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2021, 06:54:49 PM »
460 bench at 185 as a natty. ;D

Yeah, that never happened. Not drug-free.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2021, 07:04:51 PM »
That is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too young and worse still he leaves behind his loving family.  I have no clear idea (yet) of what the cause was but this loss does not please me. 

I don't know much about him other than he was a goofball and obviously took steroids.  That said, he was not a PhildoHeath and it's too bad the Grim Reaper doesn't choose the biggest turds to flush first.  I wish his family well.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2021, 08:27:53 PM »
If he wrestled for Iowa he was a top of the food chain wrestler and athlete.

He was.  Apparently he won the state championships at age 19 [I guess in high school].  I think he may have been 190-lb there, and I'm not sure what weight class that would be.

Apparently, he went on to an even higher level in university.  He was definitely a top level wrestler.  And being so incredibly strong, I can't imagine how good he was.  It wouldn't surprise me if even deep into his forties, that in 2011, at 44- to 45-year-old Andy Haman could have tossed around a 30-year-old GSP.

I'm basing that on his 70-lb weight advantage, and the fact that Haman would have had literally twice the upper body strength.

I'm not claiming that Haman would be able to have beaten a prime 2011 GSP in an MMA cage fight.  I'm saying that in a strict wrestling match, even into this forties, being bigger/taller, much heavier, and MUCH stronger...as long as he had any level of stamina, I don't exactly think a former national top level wrestler would ever exactly "forget" how to wrestler.

Andy Haman was the real deal as a top wrestler.  Probably among the best in the country when he competed for the University of Iowa in the 1980s.  I think this can be confirmed online with a web search.  If I'm not mistaken, I read an 1980s news article that did indeed confirm this.

As for Andy Haman bench pressing 600-lb wearing only a tank-top, and then bench pressing 675-lb, 45 minutes later in the same workout - I find that hard to believe.

Do I think he could have bench pressed 450+?  Yes.  As for 500-600+...I would need proof of that.

WalterWhite's suggestion of Andy Haman having a real maximum bench press of 520-lb is somewhat believable to me - still INSANELY strong...but believable.

But if he bench pressed 675-lb raw...I don't understand why he would only be able to bench press 315x20 in that Bros vs. Pros contest, even if he was 44 or 45 when that contest took place.

My max bench press was 315x8, and I never bench pressed 350-lb or more, so...I just find 675-lb hard to believe.  I have no doubt that Andy Haman could have bench pressed 450+, as said, but claims much beyond that are harder for me to believe.  I could accept 520-lb...but 675-lb is just...I mean, that would have been close to the raw record at the time.  Even 600-lb is INSANELY strong, and basically a Stan Efferding level bench press.  So I am skeptical about that.

Strong guy though - to be that strong in the upper body, and that good at wrestling...I have no doubt that Andy was super tough.

Really a shame about him dying before his 55th birthday coming up later this year [for some reason, November comes to mind, but I could be remembering that wrong].  Just to have a wife of 38 years to mourn him, and four children who he loved deeply, and who deeply loved him...it's just sad all around.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2021, 08:43:03 PM »
Not a snowballs chance in hell he could half rep 675. ::)

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2021, 08:53:07 PM »
Not a snowballs chance in hell he could half rep 675. ::)

;D ;D ;D

I love when someone just states the obvious, point blank, with no apologies.

What I meant, if I was capable of making posts under 10,000 words long, not trying to offend anyone just after the death of someone who lied about their bench press claim.  :)

Thank you for speaking the truth, as is.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2021, 08:57:04 PM »
;D ;D ;D

I love when someone just states the obvious, point blank, with no apologies.

What I meant, if I was capable of making posts under 10,000 words long, not trying to offend anyone just after the death of someone who lied about their bench press claim.  :)

Thank you for speaking the truth, as is.

No worries Matt. He was obviously an exceptional athlete, not doubting that.

But i hate people who lie about weight lifting to get attention or promotions.

He seemed like a good guy, not trying to dissolve that. Just a liar like O'Hearn and so many others in Bodybuilding and "wrestling".

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2021, 10:23:50 PM »
No worries Matt. He was obviously an exceptional athlete, not doubting that.

But i hate people who lie about weight lifting to get attention or promotions.

He seemed like a good guy, not trying to dissolve that. Just a liar like O'Hearn and so many others in Bodybuilding and "wrestling".

Yep - and even a 450-lb or 475-lb bench press is extremely impressive.

What's weird is that it's not like the guy had nothing to brag about - he was big and strong, and had a great wrestling background...I just don't understand any reason why he would have to lie.  But it is what it is.

Although I don't know what Andy's cause of death was yet, given that he was posting on Instagram within the past four days, looking pretty large, I'm assuming that he was not suffering from a long-term illness, but suffered a sudden death [likely a heart attack, or maybe a stroke].

As his son seems to be following in his father's footsteps, I hope that he can take the good points out of his dad's career, without pushing his body to the same degree.  There is no reason to stay over 250-lb and lean over 40-45-50+.  I just don't see that ending well.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2021, 10:49:53 PM »
What a great family from all appearances! Such an early death is a sad when you leave so much behind.

Dibs. I'll tell everyone too, so he's remembered. "You like 'em? These are Andy Haman's pants. This here is Andy Haman's corduroy sport coat with naugahyde elbow patches. And this was his fly fishing vest. Nice, right? Sit and I shall tell you more of Andy Haman."

And no, before anyone starts, I don't want his undergarments. I'm not some weirdo.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2021, 10:54:29 PM »
 :(

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2021, 10:56:54 PM »
Great belt.

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2021, 02:23:12 AM »
Andy passed away from post routine surgery. I don’t know anything else. It’s a shock because he was too young and left a family behind. RIP

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2021, 02:27:08 AM »
We don't know the circumstances but I
think of Romano's "where are the bodies?"

Sry, I know it's dark but

lol 10 yrs later:

Enough "bodies" for you, John? U need more? :D

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2021, 02:27:46 AM »
Wow that’s sad, RIP

if John meadows isn’t careful he’s next

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2021, 03:07:16 AM »
can't say I liked his personality. Thought he was abit of a wanker with a big ego

whatever

RIP

another few seconds and Dennis would have pulled his head off..

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2021, 03:40:29 AM »
rip

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Every brother ain't a brother.
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2021, 06:25:34 AM »
Genetically disposed to dying at 54.

RIP.

monsterman500

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2021, 06:30:52 AM »
never heard of the guy  ???

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2021, 06:51:31 AM »
never heard of the guy  ???

No? ???

He was the strongest BB alive, squatting 900 pds sitting on a clappable plastic camping chair :D

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2021, 07:15:55 AM »
another few seconds and Dennis would have pulled his head off..
He looked pissed off passed the publicity goofiness of it.