Author Topic: PBW: Freeman's "X-Files" - Plus: The Australia Report (Listen Now)  (Read 35132 times)

Andrew1

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Announcement - Episode #183

PBW Presents: The Arnold "X-Files" (Replay Now Available)

Toney Freeman's Columbus Confessions & The Australian Pro Report!

As part an expanded report, PBW takes you futher inside the 2010 Arnold Classic with Toney Freeman's Arnold Classic "X-Files".  Following his latest Top 5 finish in Columbus, The X-Man comments on the new judging system, the surprising results, and who has the inside position on the 2010 Olympia! -  Presented by MuscleTech, this weeks broadcast also includes a report from Melbourne following Kai Greene's latest conquest at the Australian Pro Show.  

Tune in at www.BodybuildingRadio.com
PBW Replays Provided Courtesy of Bodybuilding.com

Now Available: Dan & Bob visit with Arnold & Kai (View Now at Bodybuilding.com)
http://webcast.bodybuilding.com/fitshow/2010arnold/replays/2010-arnold-finmen-post-show.html

Replay Update:  The Arnold Classic Report with Phil Heath, Nicole Wilkins-Lee, Allan Donnelly and Head-Judge Jim Rockell is now available for on-demand replay.

Presented by MuscleTech and brought to you by Bodybuilding.com and Flex Magazine.
Additional sponsors include Xenadrine, The Muscle Asylum Project, Six Star Muscle and BodySpace!
PBW: The Official radio show of Joe Weider's Olympia Weekend.
A proud sponsor of the NPC National Championships and the USA Championships

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
In all honesty, if you throw out the names.... Toney might have been the 3rd best bodybuilder on that Arnold stage

Armstrong

• Getbig III
  • Victor got screwed.
Ask Freeman who he had winning the Arnold. And why didnt he go to Australia.  And how he got beat by Melvin 2 weeks ago  ;D
Everything is BIGGER in Texas!!!

adipo8

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
X was on his game at the A

delta9mda

• Getbig V
  • Team Pussy Claad/ ya know I'm sayin?
Ask Freeman who he had winning the Arnold. And why didnt he go to Australia.  And how he got beat by Melvin 2 weeks ago  ;D
he didnt get beat by melvin. look at the pics, he was the clear winner at the phoenix, dont ask me why they gave it to melvin.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Melvin is diced, yeah, but IMO he is stringy now.  Freeman is way fuller, and has 35 more pounds of muscle. 

Dex was a little better at the Aussie than at the Arnold, and Kai was a little worse.  An improved Toney might have won the show.

But surely, a guy like Toney would have cleaned Roelly's clock and got the 3rd place slot at the AUS pro.  Is Toney qualified for the O with his arnold placing?

LITTLE JOHN

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
In a sport of perfection you can't expect a guy with a torn pec to place high, after all it's like placing someone high if they have no calves.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
 after all it's like placing someone high if they have no calves.

lift 456

• Getbig III
  • Italian Stallion
how th heck did melvin beat toney at the phoenix show?  thats just proof we live in an unfair world.
I

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
after all it's like placing someone high if they have no calves.

Ronnie's calves are very large in person

lift 456

• Getbig III
  • Italian Stallion

its cause his thighs are so big.

his calves are almost as good as jays.  better than dexters by a mile
I

delta9mda

• Getbig V
  • Team Pussy Claad/ ya know I'm sayin?
so are Toney's

~UN_$ung~

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Been real, been nice...but it hasnt been Real Nice
In a sport of perfection you can't expect a guy with a torn pec to place high, after all it's like placing someone high if they have no calves.

dorian won olympias missing an arm

LITTLE JOHN

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
Great point I guess it gets back to the judges they are always fair.

~UN_$ung~

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Been real, been nice...but it hasnt been Real Nice
Great point I guess it gets back to the judges they are always fair.

this is a very subjective sport, the judges dont necessarily choose the best physique, they choose the ,most popular guy who the industry wants to get behind......i like jay cutler, but lets be honest, he does not have the best physique in the IFBB

Armstrong

• Getbig III
  • Victor got screwed.
Toney is a good interview.  The guy from Australia that went on the show said Toney wants to move down there  8)
Everything is BIGGER in Texas!!!

lift 456

• Getbig III
  • Italian Stallion
Toney Freeman is the man!!
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 06:40:48 PM »

Since I'm almost 45 i loved when Freeman told everyone on PBW that he is much younger than his age would say he is.  Thanks Tony, your an inpsiration to all of the old timers on here.  You looked awesome at the Arnold.  I had you 3rd (crushing Little Dexter and Big Branch)
I

LITTLE JOHN

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
Maybe he just wants a better chance of a place in the australian pro show.

adipo8

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Melvin is diced, yeah, but IMO he is stringy now.  Freeman is way fuller, and has 35 more pounds of muscle. 

Dex was a little better at the Aussie than at the Arnold, and Kai was a little worse.  An improved Toney might have won the show.

But surely, a guy like Toney would have cleaned Roelly's clock and got the 3rd place slot at the AUS pro.  Is Toney qualified for the O with his arnold placing?

X - qualifies pretty much every time he hit the stage

adipo8

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: Toney Freeman is the man!!
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 10:36:58 PM »
Since I'm almost 45 i loved when Freeman told everyone on PBW that he is much younger than his age would say he is.  Thanks Tony, your an inpsiration to all of the old timers on here.  You looked awesome at the Arnold.  I had you 3rd (crushing Little Dexter and Big Branch)
X

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 11:23:48 PM »

I'm an old fucker myself...I'll be 45 in june. Age is just a number. I still pound the fucking weights heavy and own bitches 10 years younger than me..and fuck bitches ten years younger than me too  ;D

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
A

erics

• Getbig III
Listening to the guys in the interview speak about the posing routine was surreal. It felt as if the arguments were like headless chickens racing around to find their heads. It seems that people are trying to justify the new system when the questions and concerns it raises are easily answered by the system that was in place before.

If the posing routines of the athletes are to be something of value, then judge their routines as part of the competition. Make the thing a part of bodybuilding as sport.

Do you remember when there were posers like Zane, Dickerson, Makkawy, Benaziza, Labrada etc? If the criticism is that in those days the posing rounds weren't really judged primarily on posing, then the simple answer is to judge the posing round primarily on posing.

Toney Freeman mentioned standards quite a lot in the interview and how there aren't really any standards in the sport in order to make it a sport. He mentioned the performance of the mandatories correctly as being one standard, not stepping beyond line as another, each posing routine having to include each of the mandatories etc etc.

Bob then made a plea that $10,000 ought to be enough to motivate the athletes to come up with creative posing routines even though Toney had said that the new posing award system wasn't likely to motivate the athletes. I thought that was telling.

Bob then made the point that the change in the judging system was one that was needed. Unfortunately, I cannot see how making the judging less transparent - or simplistic as opposed to simple - is a step in the right direction.

The simplest answer is to judge each round primarily on the criteria of THAT round. The athlete with the best averages over the contest wins.

Very, very simple.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
Not quite...

Bottom line is...it's a PHYSIQUE competition, not a dance contest, not a best poser contest.

MONEY motivates athletes for the most part. No one got into it for the money, but once you find yourself there....it's very much part of being a professional BB.

As for the judging...any physique contest is a combination of all you mentioned, so it's not that easy to simply just "judge each round for what it is..."

most muscular might not be the most symmetrical, or proportioned...so Paco Batista wins that one

most symmetrical isn't necessarily the most muscular, or even one of the top physiques on the stage...lets give it to Kenny Jones

best poser isn't necessarily any of the above...lets give it to Melvin.

So, according to what your ideal is...we have three different round winners, which in all probability, makes it impossible for the best OVERALL physique on the stage, to win the physique contest. A guy who maybe doesn't win ANY round.

How about Kenny, who wins the most symmetrical, also wins the posing round...in the words of my friend Meatloaf ...2 out of 3 ain't bad. It also most likely puts him in the top 3.

As Larry suggested, perhaps some weight could be weighed to each round.. (ex. muscularity 50%, symmetry/ proportion 25%, posing 15%, posedown 10%).....but now were right back to where we started, which never worked in the first place.

Should a guy with the best physique lose the contest because he was the worst poser?
Should a guy who ends up with the best score by an average, win the contest despite not really having the best physique?

To answer your last question: What makes this a better system, is it rewards that competitor with the best PHYSIQUE...making it more convoluted, mathematical, etc...only insures more questinable outcomes.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2010, 07:10:59 AM »
LOL... Groink is an awesome role model.