Author Topic: $10/gallon will solve all problems  (Read 7090 times)

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
Re: $10/gallon will solve all problems
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2008, 09:39:44 AM »
What is the name of that car?

"Air Car" made by Tata Motors. Was a thread about them on the politics board.

Quite the beauty is it not  :D

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2008, 09:40:44 AM »
Is this sleek and stylish mobile from that runs on compressed air not a step in the right direction? Only has a 125 mile range at this time, but they are working on some crap so you can jet around and refill at the same time. Max speed about 70mph. Going to production lines now...

Gayer than CQ failing to follow format.  >:(
Ron: "I am lazy."

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2008, 09:41:53 AM »
Gayer than CQ failing to follow format.  >:(

Gayer than saying sorry - but in my defense I honestly feel that posting that pic of that car was so gay that needed no more additon to assist. :-[

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2008, 09:42:34 AM »
"Air Car" made by Tata Motors. Was a thread about them on the politics board.

Quite the beauty is it not  :D

Gayer than CQ thinking anyone would drive that rolling death-trap on a typical US freeway.

That's a city car and that's it, which is about useless most places in America.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2008, 09:47:42 AM »

Gayer than CQ thinking anyone would drive that rolling death-trap on a typical US freeway.

That's a city car and that's it, which is about useless most places in America.

Gayer than pointing out I personally wouldn't be caught dead in that thing if I got one for free, and have said many times gas is high and I just pay it and am not really pertubed. But people are mentioning alternatives, and well - as ridiculous as that contraption looks - it seemed fitting to mention as it does not run off gas.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2008, 09:59:30 AM »
Gayer than pointing out I personally wouldn't be caught dead in that thing if I got one for free, and have said many times gas is high and I just pay it and am not really pertubed. But people are mentioning alternatives, and well - as ridiculous as that contraption looks - it seemed fitting to mention as it does not run off gas.

I think that's the big reason people are so put off by alternative vehicles, because manufacturers put out crap like that that most people wouldn't be caught dead in.  Americans will not drive shit like that, no matter what Europeans are doing.  That's why I think the best short-term answer is plug-in hybrids, that will run all-electric for the number of miles the average daily commuter drives on a single charge, but that has a gasoline or diesel engine as well.  You can make one of those out of a normal car like an Accord or Camry.  But seriously, producing cars that look like glorified golf carts contributes to the problem, it doesn't solve it.

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2008, 10:01:17 AM »
In the US I still see tons of SUV/Trucks with only 1 person in it. Those things are gas guzzlers yet people are still driving them. Also the average American car is pretty large.

I read that in Europe they are average nearly 40 mpg while we are averaging 25 mpg.

Since we can't control supply (OPEC), I contend that we should control our demand.  This can be accomplished by taxing gasoline to the point where it reaches $10+/ gallon.

Also keep in mind that current price of gas $4.50+- is not because there is less oil available, but because the suppliers are setting they see fit.

This will also provide a financial incentive for Americans to buy more fuel effiecients cars, which in turn would start a  cycle of car manufacturers making cheaper and more efficient cars (win/win). And also make us look at alternative options.

we don't need short terms fixes, we need long term solutions unfortunately no politician will would be elected under those conditions.

if you are against please state why.
Terrible idea.  Why not make it $20 a gallon?  Even less will be used?
Other countries dictate the price of our gas, not just America.  When their usage goes up, we see a hit.  Due to a weak US dollar, we also see a price increase.
There's no doubt we have our share of assclowns in this country driving Hummers/Escalades sucking up twice the gas and "living large".  To drop the energy usage down slightly, stop selling oversized cars to assholes.  There's a good law to pass.
I'd say 5% of the people who own a truck/SUV, actually need them.  Or, tax them more at the pump.  If you drive a oversized SUV for no reason, you pay $8 per gallon, a Neon pays $2 per gallon.  Almost like taxing the rich more, however it's not.  You shouldn't be penalized for being successful, something the democrats have failed to figure out, with all their Section 8 hand outs, which in return=votes.  The SUV tax would help people make better decisions, while picking up a car.  If you use your truck for work, it's a write off, so $8ga works still.
Any Hummer with rims, $20ga...oversized car/asshole tax. ;)  A Ferrari, regular $4.  So, it's not biased against successful people, just the douchebags.
N

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2008, 10:04:29 AM »

Other countries dictate the price of our gas, not just America.  When their usage goes up, we see a hit.  Due to a weak US dollar, we also see a price increase.

Gee... someone who actually understands economics.   :D

I get seriously tired of the uneducated masses who think the price of oil has something to do with the government, the Iraq war, or oil companies just pulling prices out of their asses. 

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2008, 10:10:38 AM »
I think that's the big reason people are so put off by alternative vehicles, because manufacturers put out crap like that that most people wouldn't be caught dead in.   Americans will not drive shit like that, no matter what Europeans are doing.  That's why I think the best short-term answer is plug-in hybrids, that will run all-electric for the number of miles the average daily commuter drives on a single charge, but that has a gasoline or diesel engine as well.  You can make one of those out of a normal car like an Accord or Camry.  But seriously, producing cars that look like glorified golf carts contributes to the problem, it doesn't solve it.

Same here, magnified really due to our size. We are that small that in a 10 min drive you see like 5 people you know. So, I am totally serious when I say I could get one free and would not drive it. People would call me up and ask am I losing my mind. Very uncool.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2008, 10:17:39 AM »
Economics and the "free market" will take care of the push to more fuel efficient vehicles, less driving, demand etc. The intermediate step is to explore and exploit the U.S. domestic energy potential. Coal, oil and natural gas. After that a shift to nuclear, wind, and solar should be used to make up a much larger percentage of our power generation. The problem with the U.S. is that our Congress' best idea for a relevant energy plan has nothing in it about energy production...how can the U.S. become energy independent if we still buy 500 billion dollars of oil from OPEC? And if we refuse to exploit our own ample energy supplies? Call me old fashioned, but I just don't get it.

Hydrogen is cute, but the infrastructure isn't even within a light year of being ready to service an entire fleet of hydrogen powered cars.

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2008, 10:22:48 AM »
how about just putting a ban on anything bigger than a smart?

fat people cannot fit in so the problem will be solved as 70% americans = overweight.

A friend of mine that weighs 130kgs, having huge arms and legs can drive a smart feeling very confortable!
S

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2008, 10:23:34 AM »

Hydrogen is cute, but the infrastructure isn't even within a light year of being ready to service an entire fleet of hydrogen powered cars.

Which is why it's the long-term answer, not the short or medium term one.  With regard to hydrogen and the free market, you've got a "chicken/egg" problem...  automakers won't build hydrogen fuel cell cars if there is no infrastructure to service them, and energy companies won't build the infrastructure if there are no hydrogen cars that use their product.  Someone needs to prime the pump, and only government is in a position to do that. 

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2008, 11:23:37 AM »
In the future, new technologies will replace petrol products. That is the day when the arab world dies.

Of course, we might have to deal with some AI billions of times smarter than humans and its potential to wipe us all out.

The exponential growth of technology will create a future completely different than the status quo based linear predictions of silly humanoids with no knowledge.

Debussey welcomes the future, in which Debussey will become a cyborg.

And Goatboy: Fuck you and your ugly talentless goth bitccces >:(

steveeray

• Getbig III
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2008, 11:29:05 AM »
My tanks for protection from da hatters.
Ill pay $10 a gallon at 18 miles per g

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2008, 11:35:25 AM »
And Goatboy: Fuck you and your ugly talentless goth bitccces >:(

;D

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2008, 11:40:38 AM »
from my understand most trucks run on Diesel, the tax increase would not extend to Diesel
i just filled my diesel truck up today at $4.89 a gallon

i filled up my gasoline truck and motorcycle up today at $3.80 a gallon

your idea seems a little flawed to me ;)

bench

steveeray

• Getbig III
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2008, 11:44:32 AM »
i just filled my diesel truck up today at $4.89 a gallon

i filled up my gasoline truck and motorcycle up today at $3.80 a gallon

your idea seems a little flawed to me ;)

bench

Hummer was $200 to fill this week.
Burban with bullet holes in it was $150 for reg

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2008, 12:04:31 PM »

Which is why it's the long-term answer, not the short or medium term one.  With regard to hydrogen and the free market, you've got a "chicken/egg" problem...  automakers won't build hydrogen fuel cell cars if there is no infrastructure to service them, and energy companies won't build the infrastructure if there are no hydrogen cars that use their product.  Someone needs to prime the pump, and only government is in a position to do that. 

Good point. The auto makes have, especially Honda and GM, have all fielded workable and usable hydrogen powered cars, but the problem is that there is no where to fill them up. Maybe someone should take the step in a few years and start an infrastructure at dealerships...

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2008, 12:06:05 PM »
Hummer was $200 to fill this week.
Burban with bullet holes in it was $150 for reg
f350 diesel was $140
chevy 1500 was $76

these two were not empty,i just decided to top them off

honda 929rr erion racing series was completly out of gas and i had to use premium :o

it ony cost me $18.00 dollars though,and it gets over 40 mpg ;D

bench

medz zeppelin

• Getbig IV
  • go west young man.......break bread in the new lan
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2008, 12:11:36 PM »
THIS IS NOT THE 'DON'T BUY' GAS FOR ONE DAY, BUT IT  WILL SHOW YOU HOW WE CAN GET GAS BACK DOWN TO $1.30 PER  GALLON.

This was sent by a retired Coca  Cola  executive. It came from one of his engineer buddies who retired from  Halliburton. If you are tired of the  gas prices going up AND they will continue to rise this summer, take time to  read this please.

Phillip Hollsworth offered  this good idea. This makes  MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas  on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or  May! It's worth your consideration.  Join the resistance!!!!

I hear we are going to hit close to $ 5.00 a gallon  by next summer, and it might go higher!! Want gasoline prices to come  down? We need to take some intelligent, united action.  The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue  to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas.

It was more of an  inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this  idea has come up with a plan that can really work. Please read on and join  with us! By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at  about $2.00 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $3.79 for regular unleaded  in my town.

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations  have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at  $1.50 - $1.75, we need to take aggressive act ion to teach them that BUYERS  control the marketplace..not sellers. With the price of gasoline  going up more each day, we consumers need to take  action.

The only way we are going to see the price of gas  come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas!  And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.

How? Since we all rely on  our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on  gas prices if we all act together to force a price  war. Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T  purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one),  EXXON and MOBIL.

If they are not selling any gas, they will be  inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices,  the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we  need to r each literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really  simple to do! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll  explain how simple it is to reach millions of  people!!

I am sending this note to 30 people. If each of us  send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and those 300 send it to at  least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches  the sixth group of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION  consumers.
If those three million get excited and pass this on  to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been  contacted!

If it goes one level further, you guessed it.....  THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is  send this to 10 people. That's all!
< BR>If you don't understand how  we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people....  Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am, so trust me  on this one.

How long would all that take? If each of us sends  this e-mail out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION  people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days  !!!

I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much  potential, did you!
Acting together we can make a  difference.

If this makes sense to you, please pass this  message on. I suggest that we not buy from EXXON/MOBIL UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR  PRICES TO THE $2.00 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK.

Keep it going!!!

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2008, 12:15:53 PM »
THIS IS NOT THE 'DON'T BUY' GAS FOR ONE DAY, BUT IT  WILL SHOW YOU HOW WE CAN GET GAS BACK DOWN TO $1.30 PER  GALLON.

This was sent by a retired Coca  Cola  executive. It came from one of his engineer buddies who retired from  Halliburton. If you are tired of the  gas prices going up AND they will continue to rise this summer, take time to  read this please.

Phillip Hollsworth offered  this good idea. This makes  MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas  on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or  May! It's worth your consideration.  Join the resistance!!!!

I hear we are going to hit close to $ 5.00 a gallon  by next summer, and it might go higher!! Want gasoline prices to come  down? We need to take some intelligent, united action.  The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue  to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas.

It was more of an  inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this  idea has come up with a plan that can really work. Please read on and join  with us! By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at  about $2.00 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $3.79 for regular unleaded  in my town.

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations  have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at  $1.50 - $1.75, we need to take aggressive act ion to teach them that BUYERS  control the marketplace..not sellers. With the price of gasoline  going up more each day, we consumers need to take  action.

The only way we are going to see the price of gas  come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas!  And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.

How? Since we all rely on  our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on  gas prices if we all act together to force a price  war. Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T  purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one),  EXXON and MOBIL.

If they are not selling any gas, they will be  inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices,  the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we  need to r each literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really  simple to do! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll  explain how simple it is to reach millions of  people!!

I am sending this note to 30 people. If each of us  send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and those 300 send it to at  least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches  the sixth group of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION  consumers.
If those three million get excited and pass this on  to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been  contacted!

If it goes one level further, you guessed it.....  THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

< BR>If you don't understand how  we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people....  Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am, so trust me  on this one.

How long would all that take? If each of us sends  this e-mail out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION  people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days  !!!

If this makes sense to you, please pass this  message on. I suggest that we not buy from EXXON/MOBIL UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR  PRICES TO THE $2.00 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK.

Keep it going!!!

that actually makes sense to me

bench

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2008, 12:19:46 PM »
Won't work.  Crude oil in a world commodity.  Instead of selling it to exxon or mobil gas stations (which are all owned by independant businessmen anyway), XOM would simply sell it to others at market price.  The only ways to lower the price are to increase supply or reduce damand.

steveeray

• Getbig III
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2008, 12:58:31 PM »
Buy more gas
Makes my family more money
I just prob became popular on this board  8)

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2008, 01:07:30 PM »

Keep it going!!!

The footnotes for all the lazy readers...this is all you need to read from the above post:

"  For the rest of this year, DON'T  purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one),  EXXON and MOBIL."
just not good enough