Author Topic: A new television - what to get?  (Read 3274 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
A new television - what to get?
« on: October 17, 2010, 07:46:26 AM »
I went shopping for a new TV yesterday; it was overwhelming! So many choices... nearly 100+   Plasma, LCD, LED, HD, 3D, 1080p, 720p, internet ready, etc.  And so many sizes!  Normally, I would enjoy shopping for tech stuff, but after a while it became annoying.  It was hard to find exactly the features I wanted at the size I needed, in the image quality I wanted.  

And then they kept pushing the open box items, many of which had no stand, remote, manual, etc.  The kicker was those open box items were barely $50 cheaper than the brand  new items.  Plus the Comcast cable people also work there and were pushing their xfinity service.  Oye!  Do I want to spend $120-$200/mo to watch TV?

They don't even make tube TVs anymore! ::)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: A new television
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 08:32:35 AM »
Thilly witto meltdown.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 08:34:52 AM »

take some time online to read about how to choose a tv nowadays and you ll be able to decide you queen...

smoothasf

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 08:36:04 AM »
You want over 1mil res and a minimum of 1080p.  The Samsung range is unbeatable price for price with the competition.  Panasonic also do a kick ass 3d tv

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 08:37:00 AM »

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 08:41:23 AM »
My TV is a tube analog.  A 'Celestial.'  Five years ago it cost me $200.

Last time I was in a shop, a similar sized flatscreen (lcd plasma wtf) cost thousands.  Ahh, progress.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 08:43:38 AM »
I went shopping for a new TV yesterday; it was overwhelming! So many choices... nearly 100+   Plasma, LCD, LED, HD, 3D, 1080p, 720p, internet ready, etc.  And so many sizes!  Normally, I would enjoy shopping for tech stuff, but after a while it became annoying.  It was hard to find exactly the features I wanted at the size I needed, in the image quality I wanted.  And then they kept pushing the open box items, many of which had no stand, remote, manual, etc.  The kicker was those open box items were barely $50 cheaper than the brand  new items.  Plus the Comcast cable people also work there and were pushing their xfinity service.  Oye!  Do I want to spend $120-$200/mo to watch TV?

They don't even make tube TVs anymore! ::)

Sounds like the dating world to me...we live in a sick society. :-\
I hate the State.

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 08:44:07 AM »
it can be overwhelming

I settled on a 60" Sony Bravia LCD and with my PS3 I can play games, surf the net, watch netflix, and wirelessly enjoy the movies, music, and pictures from my laptop all on the tv

men in thongs never looked better

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 08:48:38 AM »
it can be overwhelming

I settled on a 60" Sony Bravia LCD and with my PS3 I can play games, surf the net, watch netflix, and wirelessly enjoy the movies, music, and pictures from my laptop all on the tv

High end Bravias look great. Good choice man.

Only thing better than oily muscle dudes in thongs on a big screen would be oily muscle dudes in thongs on a big screen in 3d. ;D

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 08:48:53 AM »
Sounds like the dating world to me...we live in a sick society. :-\

It's easier to find a good man than a good TV ;D

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 08:49:49 AM »
Samsung is where it is at.

It is unbelievable how their sets are such a high quality for such a competitive price

btw, don't skimp and by a Vizio...that's very bush league

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 08:51:30 AM »
Don't let whoever puts pay tv service in your house use crimp "F" fittings, insist on compression fittings...crimp fittings are substandard for digital services, signal "reflect" off them back towards the oncoming signal and interfer...causing "errors".  Also see that they allow for a "service loop" which is extra slack in the lengths so that down the line when service is require there is sufficient length for service guys to work with the cabling...also don't let let them put fittings and splitters and amplifiers where they are difficult or impossible to reach later,...they WILL need servicing later on...don't hide outlets behind furniture,...again they WILL need servicing in the future.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 08:52:47 AM »
It's easier to find a good man than a good TV ;D

Not to go off on a tangent but dating gay/straight (same principles), especially online dating is a place where people are reduced to products, a tick list of attributes that one desires and that is all. I call it the shopping list but exactly as you are overwhelmed by the tech choices people are overwhelmed by the dating choices, lost in some cases, so they flit from one date to the next...that is the market projected onto people.  :-\

I understand your issues about the TV stuff...I don't have a TV, stopped watching years ago.
I hate the State.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 08:53:09 AM »
it can be overwhelming

I want a holodeck filled with my hand picked muscled men in thongs.  Where can I buy that?  ;D

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 08:55:44 AM »
Tough choice  ::)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2010, 09:02:57 AM »
I call it the shopping list

Right on.  I hate that kind of shit.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2010, 09:05:09 AM »

Right on.  I hate that kind of shit.

It's the way of the present and the way of the future.
I hate the State.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2010, 09:11:28 AM »
I bought my baby... 74" Samsung LCD about 4-5 months ago, trust me when I say when you've gone that big nothing else really compares, I have a 56" in the bedroom and it's laughable in size comparison the difference is astounding.

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2010, 09:16:02 AM »
I bought my baby... 74" Samsung LCD about 4-5 months ago, trust me when I say when you've gone that big nothing else really compares, I have a 56" in the bedroom and it's laughable in size comparison the difference is astounding.

fucking lot of TV there.  my girl and i have 2 - 32in which are great if you are moving state - state as we have 3 moves in last 5 yrs and dont watch them anyway.  as far as bay...just go to Amazon, pick the size you want and read customer reviews.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2010, 09:18:03 AM »
I have a 27 inch memorex from Target.  It cost $179, I think. 

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2010, 09:22:00 AM »
It's the way of the present and the way of the future.

I remain defiant!

One of the most telling things is the blurb itself.  I put more stock in what someone wrote than in the boxes they ticked (and the laughs to be had from glaring incongruities between the two).

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2010, 09:25:55 AM »
think my mother's tv is 62 in.

74".  must be built into the wall.  sure is a lotta tv.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2010, 09:27:29 AM »
She looks amazing for her age.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2010, 09:43:50 AM »
think my mother's tv is 62 in.

74".  must be built into the wall.  sure is a lotta tv.

It literally takes up about 3/4 of the wall, the amount of input's is nuts, I think 4 hdmi's, 3 component, bunch of rca, coax , etc. etc.
I use my ps3 as a media center, watch netflix on it, play online, even watch youtube clips, it's great for games like fifa and nhl2011 but games like modern warfare 2 I get hit from the sides sometime because my field of vision isn't big enough to see all the way far to each side.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2010, 09:58:25 AM »