Author Topic: A new television - what to get?  (Read 3275 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: A new television
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2010, 10:07:10 AM »
fucking lot of TV there.  my girl and i have 2 - 32in which are great if you are moving state - state as we have 3 moves in last 5 yrs and dont watch them anyway.  as far as bay...just go to Amazon, pick the size you want and read customer reviews.

Not necessary.  I bought the TV yesterday and watched a movie on it!  8)

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2010, 10:11:38 AM »
I went shopping for a new TV yesterday; it was overwhelming! So many choices... nearly 100+   Plasma, LCD, LED, HD, 3D, 1080p, 720p, internet ready, etc.  And so many sizes!  Normally, I would enjoy shopping for tech stuff, but after a while it became annoying.  It was hard to find exactly the features I wanted at the size I needed, in the image quality I wanted.  And then they kept pushing the open box items, many of which had no stand, remote, manual, etc.  The kicker was those open box items were barely $50 cheaper than the brand  new items.  Plus the Comcast cable people also work there and were pushing their xfinity service.  Oye!  Do I want to spend $120-$200/mo to watch TV?

They don't even make tube TVs anymore! ::)

I went through the same thing last Nov. Prof.  I was in Best Buy an hour going back and forth and my wife was getting pissed...At least she knows how I felt when I get dragged around going shopping.  I couldn't decide on LCD vs. LED.  The LED was 1k more than the LCD but I didn't deem it worth 1k more so I went with LCD and am happy with my decision because now these quatro and 3D tvs are out.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2010, 10:05:26 AM »
Now I have to decide between Comcast xFinity, AT&T U-verse, DISH Network Internet, etc.  Which is best?  Most people around here seem happy with Comcast xFinity (except for the ever increasing bills).

We are definitely unhappy with DSL (and have been for years) so it looks like we are gonna go with cable modem.  But I want a DVR too.  What is the best package option for cable modem, minimal cable TV, phone (yes, we still maintain a landline), and DVR? ???

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2010, 10:09:54 AM »
Now I have to decide between Comcast xFinity, AT&T U-verse, DISH Network Internet, etc.  Which is best?  Most people around here seem happy with Comcast xFinity (except for the ever increasing bills).

We are definitely unhappy with DSL (and have been for years) so it looks like we are gonna go with cable modem.  But I want a DVR too.  What is the best package option for cable modem, minimal cable TV, phone (yes, we still maintain a landline), and DVR? ???

gay, look into Verizon Fios if it covers your area.  apparently it's the shiznits.  i have comcast, and yes it's all great but the fees are bullshit.  just keep calling them every 6 months like my wife does and threaten to quit, then they lower our bill.

but either way, cable is the way to go.

our neighbor has tivo as a service somehow and gets comcast thru it; says she basically gets tivo for free.  of course, if you want to active your comcast dvr, it's an extra fee.   ::)
Deep Tissue Massage

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2010, 01:25:04 AM »
Uverse injects a signal on your phone line at the cross connect box,...you have to live within 3000 feet of the cross connect box in order to get Uverse ...If the telecom infrastructure is good in your neighborhood  and the installer takes the time to get "all the ducks in a row" technically speaking, Uverse works well,... if not, an AT&T tech will virtually live at your house.

If you call Uverse and ask for a bundle with a "landline", you will get Voice Over Internet Protocol or Voip...Don't do that...Say you want Uverse bundled with POTS.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2010, 01:39:53 AM »
Another Uverse hint;  get a cabling contractor to run Cat5 cable from where you want the TV to where you want the Residential Gateway, and from the Residential Gateway to where the phone box is on the side of your house.  Don't use coaxial cable, the fittings work loose from temperature changes and your TV's will "pixelate" after a short while...you want "Ethernet"...You also want Cat5 run from where your desktop computer is to where the Gateway will be.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2010, 03:30:59 PM »
How Prescient