Author Topic: the origin of world gym according to drasin.  (Read 5639 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
the origin of world gym according to drasin.
« on: September 18, 2020, 10:20:59 AM »
The Birth Of World Gym
07/26/2016 03:01 pm ET Updated Dec 06, 2017
Joe Gold, the owner and developer of Gold’s Gym had visions way back in the 60’s of having his own gym and in 1965 he built his dream gym, which became the Mecca Of Bodybuilding, we know it and we know it as Gold’s Gym. 1006 Pacific Street, Venice, CA.

2016-07-24-1469388986-2091389-frontofgoldsgym.jpg

In 1973 the gym was sold. Joe was a merchant marine and wanted to go back out to sea.  At that time he not only sold the gym but the rights to his name as well.  Sometimes we do things in life without realizing the big picture. In this case, once the name is sold, you can’t get it back.

Well as we know, Gold’s began to grow and within a couple of years it was becoming the gym to train in.   Gold’s was in all the magazines and sponsoring bodybuilding shows.  The gym’s popularity was huge and moving up the ranks fast. Joe Weider owner of Muscle & Fitness Magazine shot a lot of photos there for his magazine which increased the popularity a lot!

2016-07-24-1469389397-9619629-ricarnoldken.jpg

Then the owners sold it again and those owners sold it again and it was moved to 2nd street in Santa Monica.  The building it was in was owned by actor Robert Blake.  They only stayed in that location a few years and then moved to Hampton Street in Venice where it is now.

2nd street

2016-07-24-1469390065-7310810-secondgoldsgroup595.jpg

Today’s Gold’s Venice on Hampton

2016-07-24-1469390239-8828433-santamonica220120383.jpg

Joe Gold returned from sea in 1976 and saw the popularity of his former gym and wanted back into the business.  Here’s where the problem came in.  He sold his name so therefore legally was not able to open another gym with the name Gold in it.  This frustrated him because it’s his name!  I think any of us would feel that way, but legally there were no rights.  So, he decided to open a bigger and better gym and call it World Gym - Owner Joe Gold.  This actually sufficed and the gym opened up on Main Street in Santa Monica

2016-07-24-1469390462-268446-maxresdefault.jpg

Almost immediately all the die-hard bodybuilders came running back to support Joe and joined his club.  Arnold, Franco, Waller, Zabo,Giuliani, Zane, Platz, etc. You name it, they were there.  The support was unbelievable.

Everyone liked Joe and they were thrilled to be back in one of his gyms.  Now many of you don’t know but Joe made ALL his equipment by hand, including even the dumbbells.  This was what made his gym so unique.  Everything was well thought out with angles and pulleys that made the greatest bodies in the world.

He still had the same rules, and that was if you drop the weights you’re kicked out and absolutely no music in the gym.  He just thought it was distracting.

I was fortunate to have an apartment right across the street on one side and on the other side I had the ocean.  This was the way to live. I could walk over and train and then walk to the beach to get some sun.  Everything was within three blocks.  Boy, those were the days.

2016-07-24-1469390576-9412527-JoeGoldMe.jpg

2016-07-24-1469390762-3800669-worldgymbuddies.jpg

After a few years, I bought a house in Sherman Oaks, which is considered the valley and about 17 miles from the beach.  I drove to the gym everyday back and forth to train because that was home to me.  But, one day Joe told me that he was building another world gym out by me so I wouldn’t have to drive as far.

Subscribe to The Morning Email.
Wake up to the day's most important news.
address@email.com
This is the World Gym that not too many people know of.  It was built in Panorama City and was twice the size of his other gym.  The weights and machines were all custom built by Joe as well, and the workouts there were some of the best.  Joe didn’t believe in having heat or A/C in any of his gyms mainly because they were at the beach and it wasn’t needed but in the valley it was different. 112 in the summer was normal and 30 at night in the winter wasn’t unusual but still no heat and AC.

2016-07-24-1469390820-9504607-worldgymvalley.jpg

Never the less we all trained through it and had magnificent workouts.  Some of the better bodybuilders there were Dave Johns, Mike Sable, and Rufus Howard at the time. 

2016-07-24-1469390871-2649226-ricWorldValley1.jpg

Joe held onto this gym for a few years but quickly tired of the drive back and forth from the beach to the Valley. 

Joe then sold the gym to bodybuilder Steve Davis.  All of us still trained there and new members would come from time to time but the gym was off the main path and hard to find.  It wasn’t drawing the people like we did at the beach and the Valley crowd was much different.  I never trained at night there but was told it became a pretty rough crowd of gang bangers.

Steve held on to the gym for a few years and tried to make a go of it, but then decided to sell it and sold it cheap for $25,000.   Had I known at the time, I would have bought it up but it happened so fast no one knew it.

A couple of men from Sunland bought and one day we arrived and the gates were chained up.   This is a similar story for many gyms across the world when they lose money.  These people moved the gym to Sunland, which was quite a distance from where it was so none of the members went along.

From what I’m told the gym went out of business and no one knows whatever happened to the equipment.  To me, this is very sad because as I said, it was hand made equipment by Joe Gold himself and has a certain value to it if nothing else than for historical reasons.

Joe moved the gym in Santa Monica over to Venice in another huge building that he made by hand and it was tri-level.  It was a very unusual shape but lacked the charisma  of his other gyms.  Arnold gave a hand in some of the financing and it stayed there for a few years.   Then Joe moved it again to an old Sizzler Steak House in Marina Del Rey.  I don’t think it drew the membership to keep it going by then. It had been moved too many times and people lost track of it. Joe passed away  in 2004, the gym closed down and then the members all moved back to Gold’s gym to train again.  It’s like everything went full circle.

World Gym Franchise is owned today by the Cammilleri family and re-growing fast.

2016-07-24-1469399528-6962723-ComingSoon.jpg

Gold’s Gym today has the same face but is a modern house inside.

2016-07-24-1469391040-1232486-boysoldgolds2.jpg

Inside today

2016-07-24-1469397580-8358130-IMG_2010.JPG

But the memories remain and some of the guys are still around to talk about it.  Let’s hope it never fades.

ricdrasin.com
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: the origin of world gym according to drasin.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 10:22:43 AM »
&feature=emb_logo
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 10:23:48 AM »
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 10:24:43 AM »
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
F

Megalodon

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 11:18:02 AM »

This is the World Gym that not too many people know of.  It was built in Panorama City and was twice the size of his other gym.  The weights and machines were all custom built by Joe as well, and the workouts there were some of the best.  Joe didn’t believe in having heat or A/C in any of his gyms mainly because they were at the beach and it wasn’t needed but in the valley it was different. 112 in the summer was normal and 30 at night in the winter wasn’t unusual but still no heat and AC.

Never the less we all trained through it and had magnificent workouts.  Some of the better bodybuilders there were Dave Johns, Mike Sable, and Rufus Howard at the time. 

2016-07-24-1469390871-2649226-ricWorldValley1.jpg

Joe held onto this gym for a few years but quickly tired of the drive back and forth from the beach to the Valley. 

Joe then sold the gym to bodybuilder Steve Davis.  All of us still trained there and new members would come from time to time but the gym was off the main path and hard to find.  It wasn’t drawing the people like we did at the beach and the Valley crowd was much different.  I never trained at night there but was told it became a pretty rough crowd of gang bangers.

Steve held on to the gym for a few years and tried to make a go of it, but then decided to sell it and sold it cheap for $25,000.   Had I known at the time, I would have bought it up but it happened so fast no one knew it.

A couple of men from Sunland bought and one day we arrived and the gates were chained up.   This is a similar story for many gyms across the world when they lose money.  These people moved the gym to Sunland, which was quite a distance from where it was so none of the members went along.

From what I’m told the gym went out of business and no one knows whatever happened to the equipment.  To me, this is very sad because as I said, it was hand made equipment by Joe Gold himself and has a certain value to it if nothing else than for historical reasons.

Gym

The 2nd Joe Gold World gym most people don't know about and the mystery of the lost hand made Joe Gold equipment.

This is the Panorama City Gym?

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 11:18:31 AM »
Funk,
Do you think Drasin had the facts straight about Joe Gold and World Gym?

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 11:26:32 AM »
Funk,

I first met Joe Gold at the gym on Main St.  We were never really friends but he said hello to me by name any time I went there. He was just a regular guy that enjoyed training and had a great sense of humor.   His World Gym was great!

The original Gold's was pretty damn cool too. 

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 11:50:52 AM »
Funk,
           i can't really say for sure but i just realized that today is robert blake's birthday 87 years old. he's part of the story.
F

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 01:35:13 PM »
           i can't really say for sure but i just realized that today is robert blake's birthday 87 years old. he's part of the story.
Is that the guy who shot his wife?

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2020, 02:49:52 PM »
Is that the guy who shot his wife?
             yes    Did actor Robert Blake murder his wife?
In 1967, Robert Blake, who worked as an actor on and off for years, starred in the adaptation of Truman Capote’s 1966 true crime novel, In Cold Blood. Blake played Perry Smith in the film, who murdered the four members of the Clutter family in 1959 with Richard Hickcock. Blake, apparently, had a “chilling” resemblance to Smith.

Either way, it makes for an ironic coincidence when, years later, Blake would be the prime suspect in the murder of his second wife, Bonnie Lee Bakley. While a jury found Blake not guilty, there are still doubts. Did Robert Blake kill his wife? Or he is as innocent as the jury believed him to be?

Obsession
Bonnie Lee Bakley was a woman obsessed with celebrity and wanted to be with someone famous. She didn’t really care who, saying “Being around celebrities, it makes you feel better than other people.” Bakley was a woman determined, pursuing relationships with Jerry Lee Lewis, Dean Martin, Frankie Valli, Gary Busey.

When she married Robert Blake in 2000, this was Bakley’s tenth marriage. It also had some stipulations attached to it. When Blake and Bakley met in 1999, Bakley was in a relationship with Christian Brando, the eldest son of actor Marlon Brando who was also in prison for voluntary manslaughter.

In June 200, Bakley would give birth to a daughter, Christian Shannon Brando. While she initially believed Brando was the father, she thought there was a chance that Blake could be her daughter’s father. Blake took a paternity test, which confirmed he was the father.

Ultimate Netflix guide: Dark comedy specials

With paternity established, the baby’s name was changed from Christian Shannon Brando to Rose Lenore Sophia Blake. With this news, Blake agreed to marry Bakley on the condition that she sign a temporary custody agreement. Given Bakley’s past marriages and her career running lonely heart ads scams, it makes sense that there would be some kind of agreement in place.

The agreement went like this, Bakley agrees to supervised visits with Rose, if her family/friends want to visit the property she needs to get permission from Blake, and if either party decides to end the marriage then the other would get custody of Rose. Bakley ignored an attorney’s advice about the agreement being “lopsided” and signed, wanting to marry Blake, which she did in Nov. 2000.

About seven mothers later, on May 4, 2001, Bakley would be dead.

May 4, 2001
Blake took Bakley out for dinner at Vitello’s Restaurant on May 4, 2001. After the meal, Blake and Bakley headed out to the car. Blake, however, forgot his gun inside of the restaurant. So he left Bakley to wait in the car and headed back to pick his gun. While Bakley sat in Blake’s vehicle, she was shot in the head.

Bakley’s window was open when she was shot, which police believed meant she was familiar with her attacker. The murder a Walther P38 pistol was found in a dumpster near the crime scene.

Blake definitely was in the restaurant when Bakley was shot. Police analyzed his hands for gun residue: nothing. The gun Blake forgot in the restaurant was not the murder weapon.

Despite this, however, police felt Blake had a strong motive to murder Bakley. Their marriage was not a happy one. The couple never lived together with Bakley and Rose living in a guest house. Blake didn’t trust Bakley, who was continuing to run her lonely heart scams.

Murder for Hire
Nearly a year later on April 18, 2002, Blake was arrested for Bakley’s murder. His bodyguard Earle Caldwell was arrested on conspiracy charges. So what brought on the charges? Two people came forward and said that Blake tried to hire them to kill Bakley, Ronald “Duffy” Hambleton, and Gary McLarty.

Blake and Caldwell entered pleas of Not Guilty. Blake even posted Caldwell’s $1 million USD bail. Blake, however, was denied bail. After nearly a year in jail in March 2003, he was allowed to post a $1.5 million USD bail for himself and was under house arrest until his trial.

During this time, the conspiracy charges against Blake and Caldwell were dismissed by a judge. A junior prosecutor admitted to 48 Hours Investigates that the case was very thin.

That’s what pretty much proved to be the prosecution’s undoing. The defense was brutal in their cross-examinations of Hambleton and McLarty, brought witnesses to contradict the prosecution’s case, and just wrecked it. Blake was found Not Guilty on March 16, 2005.

Reactions to the verdict were mixed. Some felt that Blake was guilty, but others felt that the defense did its job to prove his innocence. After his acquittal, Blake celebrated at the scene of the crime, Vitello’s.

But, as the O.J. Simpson case taught us, just because you’re found Not Guilty in criminal court, doesn’t mean civil court will be as kind.

Civil Suit
Bakley’s three older children from previous relationships filed a civil suit against Blake and Caldwell for the wrongful death of Bakley. This was a wild trial too. See the defense attorney, Eric Dubin, called Caldwell’s girlfriend to the stand and asked if she thought Blake and Caldwell did it.

Dubin recalled, “Tears filled her eyes as she paused for what seemed like a decade, then leaned into the microphone and said that yes, she did believe that they were involved.”

In Nov. 2005, months after his acquittal, Blake was found liable in his wife’s death and was ordered to pay $30 million USD to Bakley’s family. In 2006, Blake filed for bankruptcy.

Attempts to give the verdict for the civil suit overturned failed, though the price was cut in half from $30 mil to $15 mil. In 2010 the state of California put on a tax lien on Blake for $1,110,878 in unpaid back taxes. Blake has since, largely, faded from the public consciousness with his last role being in 1997.

F

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2020, 04:06:34 PM »
Wild story.

How do you leave a gun in a restaurant? Do people just lay them on the table like in the movies or what?

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 04:19:36 PM »
Wild story.

How do you leave a gun in a restaurant? Do people just lay them on the table like in the movies or what?

Probably had it in a waistband holster.  It's uncomfortable to wear seated so you lay it on the chair next to you or om the cushion next to you if you are sitting in a booth.  You forget and leave.

People a few times a year leave their little kid in a closed car in the heat of the summer.  They forget they have the kid in the car.

Bakley was trash.  He shouldn't have married her.

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2020, 04:59:49 PM »
I never realised there were so many versions of the World Gym

So does anyone know which one featured in that famous advert where Rolf Moeller, Ferrigno, Schwarzenegger, etc. were arranged in height order on some sort of external staircase..?

I tried to Google the pic with no success but I'm certain you'll all know what I'm on about
T

Megalodon

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2020, 05:03:15 PM »
I never realised there were so many versions of the World Gym

So does anyone know which one featured in that famous advert where Rolf Moeller, Ferrigno, Schwarzenegger, etc. were arranged in height order on some sort of external staircase..?

I tried to Google the pic with no success but I'm certain you'll all know what I'm on about

That was the Venice World Gym which would be the 3rd Gold-owned World Gym according to Ric Drasin.

It was the 2nd Joe Gold-owned World gym near the beach.

There was only one Joe Gold World near the ocean at any one time as the gym's location migrated southward. Santa Monica to Venice to Marina Del Rey.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2020, 05:30:50 PM »
WARNING:  Boring historical stuff follows .....,

Open for argument here but I seem to recall that Joe Gold's first and original gym location was situated on the ground floor of a Santa Monica high rise building which is now the Sand Castle  beachfront condominium.

But I believe that only WES would be able to agree or disagree with the following 'expose'.....

I was a very young kid in the  1950's-early 1960's who would run along the shore-line from the Santa Monica Pier past POP and down to Venice Beach .... and then ride back to Santa Monica Beach on the 10 cent trolly car.

I ran along this beach pretty consistently for about 15 years and knew it well.

At the Santa Monica end there was an 8 foot concrete wall that ran along the front of what is now The Sand Castle which was a different name back then and was some sort of a private club  and  eventually became some type of  recovery business for drug addicts.

Now it's a very expensive beachfront condo/apartment complex.

The best place to sit on the beach back then was directly in front of that concrete wall because it offered protection from the wind and the blowing sand.

Larry Scott was a gymnast back then (early 60's if I recall right) and a good number of those early day gym members including Doug Strohl took advantage of that windless location to soak up some winter or some summer sun once it came out about 11 AM.

Those windless, beach-spot regulars would use the bathroom if they could sneak into the  indoor pool area of what is now called The Sand Castle. (Current day photo below)

On one such occasion I took a look around and found a room full of good looking gym equipment and since I showed an interest, I was told by one individual that every piece of this gym equipment was made by one individual named "JOE".

It's possible that that individual was Joe Gold himself and it's also possible that that was Joe's first gym location which gym historians fail to mention.

That incident occurred prior to 1961 but I have long forgotten the precise year.

WES!!??? How's you memory these here days?

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2020, 05:50:46 PM »
Thanks Megalodon - this place is like some sort of bodybuilding hive-mind - what was that?  Less than 5 minutes from query to answer?  Very much appreciated   8)

I probably haven't seen this picture for 25-30 years - it makes me remember just how much I was into the whole thing...  :) :) :)

That was the Venice World Gym which would be the 3rd Gold-owned World Gym according to Ric Drasin.

It was the 2nd Joe Gold-owned World gym near the beach.

There was only one Joe Gold World near the ocean at any one time as the gym's location migrated southward. Santa Monica to Venice to Marina Del Rey.

T

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2020, 07:15:42 AM »
Probably had it in a waistband holster.  It's uncomfortable to wear seated so you lay it on the chair next to you or om the cushion next to you if you are sitting in a booth.  You forget and leave.

People a few times a year leave their little kid in a closed car in the heat of the summer.  They forget they have the kid in the car.

Bakley was trash.  He shouldn't have married her.
He agreed with you.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2020, 02:32:35 PM »
 ;D
F

Megalodon

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2020, 08:44:11 PM »
Thanks Megalodon - this place is like some sort of bodybuilding hive-mind - what was that?  Less than 5 minutes from query to answer?  Very much appreciated   8)

I probably haven't seen this picture for 25-30 years - it makes me remember just how much I was into the whole thing...  :) :) :)

You are very much welcome.

WARNING:  Boring historical stuff follows .....,

Open for argument here but I seem to recall that Joe Gold's first and original gym location was situated on the ground floor of a Santa Monica high rise building which is now the Sand Castle  beachfront condominium.

But I believe that only WES would be able to agree or disagree with the following 'expose'.....

I was a very young kid in the  1950's-early 1960's who would run along the shore-line from the Santa Monica Pier past POP and down to Venice Beach .... and then ride back to Santa Monica Beach on the 10 cent trolly car.

I ran along this beach pretty consistently for about 15 years and knew it well.

At the Santa Monica end there was an 8 foot concrete wall that ran along the front of what is now The Sand Castle which was a different name back then and was some sort of a private club  and  eventually became some type of  recovery business for drug addicts.

Now it's a very expensive beachfront condo/apartment complex.

The best place to sit on the beach back then was directly in front of that concrete wall because it offered protection from the wind and the blowing sand.

Larry Scott was a gymnast back then (early 60's if I recall right) and a good number of those early day gym members including Doug Strohl took advantage of that windless location to soak up some winter or some summer sun once it came out about 11 AM.

Those windless, beach-spot regulars would use the bathroom if they could sneak into the  indoor pool area of what is now called The Sand Castle. (Current day photo below)

On one such occasion I took a look around and found a room full of good looking gym equipment and since I showed an interest, I was told by one individual that every piece of this gym equipment was made by one individual named "JOE".

It's possible that that individual was Joe Gold himself and it's also possible that that was Joe's first gym location which gym historians fail to mention.

That incident occurred prior to 1961 but I have long forgotten the precise year.

WES!!??? How's you memory these here days?

Apparently it became the Sandcastle in the early 1960s. Could it have been called the Monica hotel or the Chase when you saw the possible Joe Gold gym? The whole building or part of it was a rehab center a few years before it became the Sandcastle?

Link below: They seem to say somewhere in the link below(last 3 links on that linked page) that there was separate building called the Chase Hotel but elsewhere they say that the Sandcastle was called the Chase at some point. See 4th(last photo) and description at bottom of this post.

Here's links to more info on the blgd. and several photos:

https://santamonica.pastperfectonline.com/bysearchterm?keyword=Sea+Castle+Apartments

https://santamonica.pastperfectonline.com/bysearchterm?keyword=Sea+Castle+Apartments&page=2

Quote: "The Sea Castle was originally called the Breakers Beach Club, built in 1926. It then became the Grand Hotel, the Chase, the Monica Hotel, and then finally, the Sea Castle Apartments in the early 1960s."

The date this photo was taken is uncertain:

This may show the concrete slab. I think this one is from 1980:

Undated:

Quote for below photo seems to say the Chase Hotel is a separate building. Maybe Chase Hotel changed locations to the Sandcastle building for a little while?

"They say Beachgoers at Santa Monica Beach. Along the shoreline are the Sea Castle Apartments, Chase Hotel, Edgewater Club and the Casa Del Mar Club."

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2020, 11:09:13 AM »
MEGA, Thanks!

I have not had a chance to look into the info that you provided above, but I intend to do so ASAP.

Here is part of what I definitely remember about Santa Monica Muscle Beach and the building which is now called the San Castle and the 'possibility' that most are incorrect about Joe Gold's original gym location.

Way back then .... I had a habit of running along the shoreline from the Santa Monica Pier down to the main part of Venice Beach. The only real bodybuilder I met at that time was Doug Strohl as the vast majority of the Santa Monica Muscle Beach 'occupants' were gymnasts and acrobat enthusiasts.

Back then I/We would catch a return Venice to Santa Monica ride on the beach-front trolly car and upon our return to Muscle Beach we'd stop for a cheap lunch at the Muscle Beach bar/grill .... the name of which I have forgotten .... but I believe that it's still there today and may still have the original old Muscle Beach photos on the wall that were taken during the 1940's/1950"s.

It wasn't until many years later that I'd meet Reeves, Scott. Corvello,  and 90% the original, Golden-Age weight trained enthusiasts.

When I first became familiar with that Sand Castle  building as a young kid, a part of that building on the lower floors was some sort of beach club ..... and there were about two other similar beach club buildings which were located a few yards south of  what is now called the Sand Castle.

Beach clubs are very popular back then.

These two 'clubs' extended onto the beach which could only be accessed by the beach club members ... but the Sand Castle beach site was open to the public and that's where we'd all gather when the wind came up.

Since then  the Sand Castle went through a number of changes.

I do recall that we were surprised when it became a drug rehabilitation facility under the supervision of a well known and very popular 'drug cure guy' at that time whose name I have forgotten.

But in order to get back to the subject at hand .... I feel that I am 90% correct that Joe Gold's first gym location was within the building that is now called The Sand Castle for a short period of time.

But ... It could be possible that he simply made that 'gear'  on behalf of whatever that building was called back then.

But I'm betting that that was Joe's first location.

I'd ask Dave but he didn't show up until many years later.

Long ago memories! Thanks again, Mega!

Megalodon

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2020, 09:55:50 PM »
Thanks, Stunt. I appreciate it.  I have a few questions if you don't mind. I want to make sure I'm understanding certain aspects.

First, you called it the Sand Castle in your posts. Isn't it called the Sea Castle now if were talking about the same blgd? It was supposed to have been named the Sea Castle in the early 60s according to my previous link. This is the same blgd that you posted but from a different angle: https://www.theseacastle.com/

Also, Roughly when was Doug Strohl there?

And what year roughly did Reeves, Scott, Corvello, etc... arrive at Muscle Beach?

Could the famous Drug rehab guy be Charles E. "Chuck" Dederich Sr and associated with "Synanon"? His HQ was in Santa Monica but this particular rehab place was at the Club Casa Del Mar. Photo and info in link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synanon Could the Club Casa Del Mar have been the rehab place and not the Sea Castle, they're only about 600 feet apart?

Are any of the photos of the cafes below the Muscle Beach bar/grill? Click on pics to enlarge photos.

Do you know what that is in the foggy distance of the third from bottom photo? It's not the pier?

Finally, second from bottom photo with Dave Draper on left(behind guy doing pullups). Would you know roughly what year that was? The mid 1960s?

Maybe some of these photos bring back some additional memories:

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2020, 04:03:44 AM »
Robert Blake lifting.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2020, 02:18:32 PM »
Thanks, Stunt. I appreciate it.  I have a few questions if you don't mind. I want to make sure I'm understanding certain aspects.

First, you called it the Sand Castle in your posts. Isn't it called the Sea Castle now if were talking about the same blgd? It was supposed to have been named the Sea Castle in the early 60s according to my previous link. This is the same blgd that you posted but from a different angle: https://www.theseacastle.com/

Also, Roughly when was Doug Strohl there?

And what year roughly did Reeves, Scott, Corvello, etc... arrive at Muscle Beach?

Could the famous Drug rehab guy be Charles E. "Chuck" Dederich Sr and associated with "Synanon"? His HQ was in Santa Monica but this particular rehab place was at the Club Casa Del Mar. Photo and info in link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synanon Could the Club Casa Del Mar have been the rehab place and not the Sea Castle, they're only about 600 feet apart?

Are any of the photos of the cafes below the Muscle Beach bar/grill? Click on pics to enlarge photos.

Do you know what that is in the foggy distance of the third from bottom photo? It's not the pier?

Finally, second from bottom photo with Dave Draper on left(behind guy doing pullups). Would you know roughly what year that was? The mid 1960s?

Maybe some of these photos bring back some additional memories:

the draper pic says 1963, that's about right. this is when he first started working for the weider warehouses when they moved from jersey to ca.
F

Megalodon

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2020, 03:27:18 PM »
   the draper pic says 1963, that's about right. this is when he first started working for the weider warehouses when they moved from jersey to ca.

It makes sense that it could be '63 when he arrived in CA. Draper still worked at Weider Warehouses in Union City, NJ for at least part of 1963. In California, it must have been a hassle driving 35 minutes from Santa Monica whenever he needed to go to Weider HQ.

The whole bb or bb-ish beach scene apparently used to center around the Pier(for at least a little while) which is about a mile north of where it ended up in Venice. Muscle Beach(read several articles saying it was originally called Mussel Beach pre-acrobats, etc...) was just south of the pier and Vic Tanny's 2 gyms were just north of the pier. Tanny's 2nd Santa Monica gym was "The Dungeon" that Dave Draper raves about. I'm unclear on whether bodybuilders used Tanny's Santa Monica Gym location even after Tanny's gym closed.

Also, Muscle Beach had apparently already moved to Venice by 1951 or '52 according to some articles but I've also read 1958. Was there was some overlapping of the 2 outdoor Muscle Beach gyms? I've got to study up on the whole 40's, 50's, 60's bb scene timeline.   :P

Eiferman and Draper in NJ in 1963.