Author Topic: Question for the old-school BB competitors (Wes, etc)  (Read 1678 times)

Body-Buildah

• Getbig V
  • Creepy Joe Touches Kids
Question for the old-school BB competitors (Wes, etc)
« on: September 21, 2020, 01:06:12 PM »
Notice I said 'old-school' not 'old'.

Anyways, these days, everyone and their mother is a BB coach. Even those who just want to get into shape, do their 1st local thong-fest, (etc) hire a coach for fairly big-money (it seems).
(They make it seem like its big-money (their paper-route money) plus gear, supps, diet-plan, etc.

Wes, Gene (and Vince G) and others here who have competed, did you ever have help where you hired someone? Or just gym-buddies trading info (Bob  Gruskin, etc)?

Or just do it mainly on your own like the old-school 70's guys. (Or did they get help in those days, when did it become a "thing")?
I realize Aceto and Gruskin did it for ages, but now every twink hires someone good like Skip Hill, learns his methods, and starts advertising themselves like a contest guru?

Was the turning point the Chad Nichols (kidney killer) days where it took off? Did Dorian have a diet/gear/training "Coach"? Haney? Ronnie?

Vince Basile, in your day was it a thing (coaches) or did gym mates just share info, or did you do it yourself?

IG and SM is ridiculously loaded with a million guru's. Imagine listening to this guy each day telling you what to do??

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
Re: Question for the old-school BB competitors (Wes, etc)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 01:16:03 PM »
I'm not old school, but from the conversations I've had with competitors, it just helps to have someone keep them focused and give them tips when things don't work or stall out.  I think most high level BBer's know how to get in shape for the most part, until that last week or two from the contest when you start playing with water/sodium/diuretics.  But they typically only know their own body and when something doesn't work they don't know what to do.  When you have a coach who has helped dozens of people get in shape, when something isn't working they "should" know a way to counteract it.  Just my thoughts on it.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 03:03:56 PM »

Lol, I listened to Greg for 7 minutes and he is absolutely correct, this cardiologist is an idiot on this matter. Tracking food intake is the problem, if they claim 1.5K it's probably 3 times that lol.
I brought up the supposed miniscule protein intakes some here claimed. They don't actually know how to track it correctly, they are eating more.

Methyl m1ke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 04:15:28 PM »
Dorian worked with Paul Borreson in the early 90s. I would assume Dorian would never had made that leap in mass without Borresons help. Ronnie had Chad and Arnold i believe was advised by Zane.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 06:37:52 PM »
Greg Doucette sounds like...

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 06:46:47 PM »
Dorian worked with Paul Borreson in the early 90s. I would assume Dorian would never had made that leap in mass without Borresons help. Ronnie had Chad and Arnold i believe was advised by Zane.

Dorian did Not work with Paul Borresen

epic is back

• Getbig V
  • It is only in darkness that light is brightest
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 07:15:33 PM »
 when i was starting out i read as much info for about 2 years. this was before i even touched a supplement.

I was 205lbs kinf of soft but natural before i began any protocols. I had been lifting on and off since i was 11 years old though.

then i jumped right into competing.  The private training center i was working in we got sent posters for competitions. I chose to do one and commited.

I got some help from the board owner of whasupp.com wholesale arizona supplements. he told me to eat green beans and fish for 8 weeks. well me being inexperienced i did as he told me. i was to scared to  deviate because i wanted to win. Win i did. i won both the novice and open classes at the western regional championships in phoenix. After that win i was hooked on competing.

I had one of our members here whom i met after the Mr Arizona. Which  he won help me from time to time. but i largely did everything myself

like i said in another thread. Those who tell you 1 gram is to much and if you need that your not cut out for bbing. Well sorry to say, but if you want to win overalls and be over 200lbs schredded, you got to play the game. Now if you want to just do baord shorts and have no legs, yes 500 a week of whatever is fine.

But a  coach? if your to lazy to learn how to eat and train, your never going to win anything.

Methyl m1ke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 08:17:39 PM »
Dorian did Not work with Paul Borresen

He denies it but im pretty sure he did.

epic is back

• Getbig V
  • It is only in darkness that light is brightest
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 09:29:46 PM »
pretty sure eh

like sure when you score meth and watch peoples loved ones?

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2020, 09:41:58 PM »
He denies it but im pretty sure he did.

There is nowt to deny - Borresen wouldn’t of been able to tell or teach anything
He was an out & out fraud & conman.
I knew him & know lots about him.

Do you live in the U.K. & know who was who back then ?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2020, 09:51:12 PM »
My late teen years into my early 20’s, Rory trained me because we trained together. I took off a few years from competing until 1990 when I trained with JJ Marsh when he was getting ready for the Olympia and I was getting ready for a National qualifier (I won). Took 17 years off from competing and in 2007 Jim Magnone helped me with National qualifiers where I placed 5th in the open (oldest in the lineup) to Kamal ElGargni. Took more time off until last year where I worked with Eryk Bui and won the Cal.

If I ever get the opportunity to compete again, I’ll still hire a coach

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2020, 10:02:02 PM »
My late teen years into my early 20’s, Rory trained me because we trained together. I took off a few years from competing until 1990 when I trained with JJ Marsh when he was getting ready for the Olympia and I was getting ready for a National qualifier (I won). Took 17 years off from competing and in 2007 Jim Magnone helped me with National qualifiers where I placed 5th in the open (oldest in the lineup) to Kamal ElGargni. Took more time off until last year where I worked with Eryk Bui and won the Cal.

You competed up against Kamal ? In what show ?
I know Kamal very well & wasn’t aware he had competed in America in 2007
He would’ve still been competing Qatar & doing the amateur world championships he won 7 times
& the Asian games he won 10 times.

I thought his 1st trip to compete in America was when he won the 212 Arnold Classic & got
3rd at The Olympia in 2018.

Clearly I could be Wrong.

Body-Buildah

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2020, 08:34:41 AM »

You competed up against Kamal ? In what show ?
I know Kamal very well & wasn’t aware he had competed in America in 2007
He would’ve still been competing Qatar & doing the amateur world championships he won 7 times
& the Asian games he won 10 times.

I thought his 1st trip to compete in America was when he won the 212 Arnold Classic & got
3rd at The Olympia in 2018.

Clearly I could be Wrong.

http://musclememory.com/show.php?c=Excalibur+(Los+Angeles)+-+NPC&y=2007

Light-HeavyWeight
1     Kamal El Gargni
2     Curtis McGovert
3     Bradly Castleberry
4     Steve Kapper
5     Sam Sackett
6     Joe Marino (2)
7     Dan Backus
8     Michael Rideau
9     Michael Carter
10     Shigeru Hirayama
11     Brian Arnedo
12     Mike Allen
13     Daniel Baca
14     Hans Hoeller

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2020, 08:38:03 AM »
http://musclememory.com/show.php?c=Excalibur+(Los+Angeles)+-+NPC&y=2007

Light-HeavyWeight
1     Kamal El Gargni
2     Curtis McGovert
3     Bradly Castleberry
4     Steve Kapper
5     Sam Sackett
6     Joe Marino (2)
7     Dan Backus
8     Michael Rideau
9     Michael Carter
10     Shigeru Hirayama
11     Brian Arnedo
12     Mike Allen
13     Daniel Baca
14     Hans Hoeller

Oops, yes. 6th. 13 years ago

Body-Buildah

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2020, 08:41:49 AM »

Joe, is that the same Brad Castleberry (fake weights guy)?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2020, 09:12:44 AM »
Joe, is that the same Brad Castleberry (fake weights guy)?

Yes. That was obviously the open class. I was 46-47 he was probably early 20’s?

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2020, 02:04:24 PM »

Great going Coach. - I’m happy to have been proved incorrect 👍🏻
That show clearly I missed. Thanks for Posting.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2020, 02:10:05 PM »

Rory Leidelmeyer?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2020, 04:23:59 AM »
I never had a trainer just picked things/tips up in various gyms from various people over the years.

Also I trained my balls off with like minded animals............none of this silly shit they do today just fast paced training with the heavist weight possible for the reps we were shooting for.

Body-Buildah

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2020, 04:28:47 AM »
I never had a trainer just picked things/tips up in various gyms from various people over the years.

Also I trained my balls off with like minded animals............none of this silly shit they do today just fast paced training with the heavist weight possible for the reps we were shooting for.

Thx Wes  :)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2020, 04:39:35 AM »
A bodybuilding coach is code for drug dealer and drug advisor.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2020, 04:45:37 AM »
Notice I said 'old-school' not 'old'.

Anyways, these days, everyone and their mother is a BB coach. Even those who just want to get into shape, do their 1st local thong-fest, (etc) hire a coach for fairly big-money (it seems).
(They make it seem like its big-money (their paper-route money) plus gear, supps, diet-plan, etc.

Wes, Gene (and Vince G) and others here who have competed, did you ever have help where you hired someone? Or just gym-buddies trading info (Bob  Gruskin, etc)?

Or just do it mainly on your own like the old-school 70's guys. (Or did they get help in those days, when did it become a "thing")?
I realize Aceto and Gruskin did it for ages, but now every twink hires someone good like Skip Hill, learns his methods, and starts advertising themselves like a contest guru?

Was the turning point the Chad Nichols (kidney killer) days where it took off? Did Dorian have a diet/gear/training "Coach"? Haney? Ronnie?

Vince Basile, in your day was it a thing (coaches) or did gym mates just share info, or did you do it yourself?

IG and SM is ridiculously loaded with a million guru's. Imagine listening to this guy each day telling you what to do??

I can't watch that guy on the video. The most irritating voice on the planet. I just tune out. I also take with a grain of salt advice from a steroid user. Show me your physique without the assist of drugs.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2020, 06:00:51 AM »
I can't watch that guy on the video. The most irritating voice on the planet. I just tune out. I also take with a grain of salt advice from a steroid user. Show me your physique without the assist of drugs.

Gilbert Gottfried on roids.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2020, 10:06:45 AM »
A bodybuilding coach is code for drug dealer and drug advisor.

Maybe some are solely doing that.
Believe it or not there are vast amounts of folk out there that want a coach / trainer
For other reasons than just getting hooked up with Gear. 🙄
And they pay us Good money for helping Them.
Yes we get you’re anti PEDs - Only if you don’t use why does it affect you so much
Do you compete against Those who are using & are Bitter.

I respect you chose not to use & genuinely good for you.
Try respect my choice as it’s not affecting you & I'm not advocating others to use,
Though I will be honest about the pro’s & cons if asked.

Why so Much Negativity From you are you really so unhappy in life. ??